PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices!

loribell
04-18-2006, 02:17 PM
I got this in an email today. Funny thing is I have been saying for over a year that gas prices should not even be at $1.50 let alone closing in on $3.00 a gallon. Living in an oil state and seeing all the wells that are going in just really irritates me.

Saying that I really believe this is something we should try out and what better way to reach lots of people than posting in a huge forum like the DIS. Exxon's billion dollar profit quarters need to come to a stop and the only way to do that is to refuse to use them.

Feel free to send this to your friends and family. Lets see if we can get someones attention!

Subject: Gas Wars- Don't Buy Exxon/Mobil READ THIS PLEASE

GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola
executive It came from one of his engineer buddies
who retired from Halliburton. It's worth your
consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea. This makes
MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by
refusing to buy gas.&nb sp; It was more of an inconvenience
to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever
thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can
really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us
to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace..not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their
gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.
How?

Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of
people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers.

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 mill ion people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all! (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people....
Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on this one.) :-)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we ca n make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL
THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK

Thanks for the vent!
Lori

Todd&Copper
04-18-2006, 02:23 PM
This "gas boycott" won't work. From Snopes (dot) com website [discusses/busts urban legends]

This year's litany of complaints about gasoline prices is a re-run of the same program from years past: Gasoline prices in the USA are too high; gasoline is a unique commodity whose price isn't subject to the usual market forces of supply and demand; OPEC and greedy American oil companies secretly manipulate the market to keep prices artificially high; and a simple boycott of a couple of brands of gasoline will rectify all this.

Oil companies can manipulate their prices somewhat by controlling how much gasoline they produce and where they sell it, but they can't alter the basics of supply and demand: prices go down when people buy less of a good, prices go up when people buy more of a good, and prices go way up when demand outstrips available supply. The "gas out" schemes that propose to alter the demand side of the equation by shunning one or two specific brands of gasoline for a while won't work, however, because they're based on the misconception that an oil company's only outlet for gasoline is its own branded service stations. That isn't the case: gasoline is a fungible commodity, so if one oil company's product isn't being bought up in one particular market or outlet, it will simply sell its output to (or through) other outlets:
Economics Prof. Pat Welch of St. Louis University says any boycott of "bad guy" gasoline in favor of "good guy" brands would have some unintended (and unhappy) results.

. . . Welch says the law of supply and demand is set in stone. "To meet the sudden demand," he says, "the good guys would have to buy gasoline wholesale from the bad guys, who are suddenly stuck with unwanted gasoline."

So motorists would end up . . . paying more for it, because they'd be buying it at fewer stations.

And yes, oil companies do buy and sell from one another. Mike Right of AAA Missouri says, "If a company has a station that can be served more economically by a competitor's refinery, they'll do it."

Right adds, "In some cases, gasoline retailers have no refinery at all. Some convenience-store chains sell a lot of gasoline and buy it all from somebody else's refinery."
A boycott of a couple of brands of gasoline won't result in lower overall prices. Prices at all the non-boycotted outlets would rise due to the temporarily limited supply and increased demand, making the original prices look cheap by comparison. The shunned outlets could then make a killing by offering gasoline at its "normal" (i.e., pre-boycott) price or by selling off their output to the non-boycotted companies, who will need the extra supply to meet demand. The only person who really gets hurt in this proposed scheme is the service station operator, who has almost no control over the price of gasoline.

The only practical way of reducing gasoline prices is through the straightforward means of buying less gasoline, not through a simple and painless scheme of just shifting where we buy it. The inconvenience of driving less is a hardship too many people apparently aren't willing to endure, however.

babiesX2
04-18-2006, 02:31 PM
I snoped this chain email you posted. www.snopes.com
While your intentions are noble, this just isn't a good idea. Below explains why:

"The only practical way of reducing gasoline prices is through the straightforward means of buying less gasoline, not through a simple and painless scheme of just shifting where we buy it. The inconvenience of driving less is a hardship too many people apparently aren't willing to endure, however." Source http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

Edited: The above poster beat me to it so I deleted to avoid boring everyone. I left the info about how to truly "fix" gas prices.

sandy6879
04-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Regardless of whether it will "work" some attention needs to be paid that ExxonMobil is profiting in the billions per quarter all the while saying that they aren't making money off the gas price increases.

Now, I personally don't know if the smaller gas stations are supplied by ExxonMobil but I'm all for not buying my gas from the main stations. If that in itself doesn't stop the prices then nothing short of government intervention will.....

RADOPT
04-18-2006, 03:06 PM
GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Lori

I remember when a Gas War was where the stations LOWERED their prices to get you to come to them :rotfl2:

Maybe if they would stop speculating about the price, it would not go up as much. A few months ago the news stations were talking about how gas was going up by so much over night. Well, it did not but because of them some stations raised it because of what they heard on the news!

T. Lynn
04-18-2006, 04:06 PM
I got that same email today. Boy it is really going around.

I've actually gotten that email last year as well. Gee, guess it didn't work...

jennifer293
04-18-2006, 05:16 PM
I got that same email today. Boy it is really going around.

I've actually gotten that email last year as well. Gee, guess it didn't work...

I got that email last week ...and I got it last year!! Someone must have liked it so much they saved it from last year.. :teeth:

cobbler
04-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Not even gov't intervention will work. How many politicians have stock in the oil business? They aren't going to do anything except talk a good game.

And yes Exxon execs are making a tremendous amt of $$. Anyone see NBC nighly news last night or the night before? The top exec made. NYTimes I believe broke down what he makes/made 630? some odd million dollars over the last couple of years to $100.44 a minute. Even while sleeping.

spiceycat
04-18-2006, 05:36 PM
I agreed it won't work - not with China ready and able to buy all the gas that they can....

it is not only our economy that relies on gas these days it is China too.... not to mention Europe and just about every where else.

In the old days yes this would work. but those days are gone forever. It is a world economy and we have to pay world prices...

Now what would help if everyone did like we did in the 70's.....

speed limit 55, buy a gas saver car instead of a van or VCR....

like that is going to happen in this country..... :moped:

deide71
04-18-2006, 09:16 PM
Actually the higher gas prices will eventually change behavior. I drive 30mi each way to work. I have a little sedan that gets 30mi/gal. Last month a co-worker of mine asked me if I would be willing to carpool with her. She has a Suburban that gets 12mi/gal, so 4gal round trip, 20gal per week. She pays me $5 a day. I drive.

Well, word got around at work, and now I have 2 more people in my carpool. They also pay me $5/day to drive them to work.

So I figure we are now consuming 40-50 gal less per week than we were a month ago. This is just one small example of how consumer behavior will change as gas prices go higher.

I realize China and other countries will continue to consume more oil, but the U.S. is still by far the largest consumer of oil in the world.

If the increase in prices is what it takes to get us to consume less oil, or get serious about alternative energy sources I am all for it.

jenr812
04-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Actually the higher gas prices will eventually change behavior. I drive 30mi each way to work. I have a little sedan that gets 30mi/gal. Last month a co-worker of mine asked me if I would be willing to carpool with her. She has a Suburban that gets 12mi/gal, so 4gal round trip, 20gal per week. She pays me $5 a day. I drive.

Well, word got around at work, and now I have 2 more people in my carpool. They also pay me $5/day to drive them to work.

So I figure we are now consuming 40-50 gal less per week than we were a month ago. This is just one small example of how consumer behavior will change as gas prices go higher.

I realize China and other countries will continue to consume more oil, but the U.S. is still by far the largest consumer of oil in the world.

If the increase in prices is what it takes to get us to consume less oil, or get serious about alternative energy sources I am all for it.You are making out :woohoo: :)

Katie
04-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Good for you! I wish more people could do that!

My husband drives 60 miles each way to work. My son drives 35 miles each way to work. Neither carpool.

Husband is interviewing in our small town Thursday. If he gets that job...he can walk to work. We figure he can take a 10,000 cut in pay if necessary just to save gas/time/wear/tear ect. Plus he will be working in the same school our kids go to!

From University of Illinois, to small town school..don't see that much anymore!

KimRaye
04-18-2006, 11:21 PM
I remember when a Gas War was where the stations LOWERED their prices to get you to come to them :rotfl2: :thumbsup2 AMEN!

daughtersrus
04-19-2006, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by RADOPT
I remember when a Gas War was where the stations LOWERED their prices to get you to come to them

Me too! My dad owned a Shell gas station while I was growing up. I remember waiting in line to get our gas when there was a gas shortage. This was in the 70's and the price was $.37 (9) a gallon! Oh, those were the days.

Originally Posted by deide71

If the increase in prices is what it takes to get us to consume less oil, or get serious about alternative energy sources I am all for it.

You may want to run this past your car insurance agent. When I was working for Spiegel many years ago, they relocated the Chicago offices to the suburbs. Many people decided to commute instead of looking for a new job. Many of them car-pooled. It wasn't a problem until one girl was in an accident and sued by two of the co-workers that she was driving. When word got around, many people had to quit because most of the car-pool drivers decided that they didn't want to take the risk of being sued. Many people had to quit because living in the city, they didn't own a car and the public transportation out here to the suburbs isn't very good.

spiceycat
04-19-2006, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=Katie]
My husband drives 60 miles each way to work. My son drives 35 miles each way to work. Neither carpool.

60 miles to work - that is what an hour probably more - that is at least 2 hours wasted each day - 10 hours in a week.....

I am so sorry!!!!

I am 2.5 miles from work. If it was level I could walk it - but it has big hills of both ends.... so I drive... (at present)

jillyjoey
04-19-2006, 08:43 AM
Until US consumers change driving practices nothing is going to change. I hear people complaining about gas prices yet they are still buying the gasguzzling SUVs.
I was one of the many that had a gas guzzler. Last summer, we took a stand and traded a vehicle I loved for a more fuel efficient vehicle. Yes, I took a loss on my trade but I would rather pay Ford (Yes -- a US auto manufacturer) than pay Exxon. I am saving about $30 a week in gas (that was at 2.00 a gallon prices -- so now it is even more). My dh, kids and I carpool and have done so for 2 years now. Yes, it is difficult but I enjoy saving the $80 a week I don't have to put in his truck (which we have kept because sometimes you just need a truck -- that said he has had it for over 2 years and has not even put 6000 miles on it).

Next time you are out count the number of SUVs compared to more fuel efficient vehicles. Around here SUVs outnumber cars 6 to 1 my last count. Another ? -- why do people in the South have to have 4 wheel drive when it like never snows here?--- 4 wheel drive decreases fuel economy do to weight of the vehicle.

carone0318
04-19-2006, 08:48 AM
I am so happy that I just got rid of my Kia Sedona (minivan) and now drive a Subaru Forester. My gas consumption has gone down considerably. With prices in my area hovering around $2.69 for the minute ;) , it takes about $30 to fill my tank. In my van it would take $30 to get me just over a half a tank. We have to adjust to the size bacause it is smaller, but well worth it. Besides I work for Subaru, so all of my maintainence is at a reduced price so it was definitely worth the change for my family.

I do hope that the prices start to level off, but I won't hold my breath!

jillyjoey
04-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Carone -- $2.69 you are lucky try 2.83 to 2.87

jillyjoey
04-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Oh -- here's a tip for everyone if you don't know -- your vehicle has a "sweetspot" for increased mpg. Ford states my vehicle gets 27 mpg hwy. I can get 33 mpg at my sweetspot 61 mph. (A salesman graciously tipped me off when I took my car in for an oil change). If I toggle between 55 and 60 I always get 30 mpg. Of course, this is easier to do if your vehicle has a mpg readout. If not, you will have to take your average when you fill up using your odometer, which may not help due to city driving.

spiceycat
04-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Until US consumers change driving practices nothing is going to change. I hear people complaining about gas prices yet they are still buying the gasguzzling SUVs.

I guess I was lucky. My brother got the family car (my father was dead) and he got a GTO....gasguzzler.....

I hated this car - every 3 days it had to be filled up. that took around 20 minutes - every 3 days....

now the car did go fast - but filling it up every 3 days got very, very boring....

so I have always had good gas mileage cars.

You also realize that you use up what 40% more gas at 80 mph than 55 mph....Now I hated to go 55mph on the interstate.... but it does save gas.

there are other ways to cut your gas prices than trying to make the the company change...

carone0318
04-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Carone -- $2.69 you are lucky try 2.83 to 2.87

Gas is the only cheap thing in NJ, but with our lovely governor, not only will speculation increase price but he might be increasing the tax on gas to "help pay for our sins of the past." Gee what a sweet guy!

One thing for sure, even as the price increases I don't have to pump it in myself! Proud to say that I have never pumped gas in my entire life span of 36 yrs and hope to be able to go to my grave saying that same phrase.

T. Lynn
04-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Gas is the only cheap thing in NJ, but with our lovely governor, not only will speculation increase price but he might be increasing the tax on gas to "help pay for our sins of the past." Gee what a sweet guy!

One thing for sure, even as the price increases I don't have to pump it in myself! Proud to say that I have never pumped gas in my entire life span of 36 yrs and hope to be able to go to my grave saying that same phrase.
I haven't pumped mine within the past 2 years. We have a full-service station about 5 minutes away and their gas is always cheaper anyway. I ALWAYS go there.

If we're on vacation, DH is always driving so he pumps gas.

disney1990
04-19-2006, 04:55 PM

You've never pumped gasoline? Don't you travel? How about when you go to Disney?

Dznypal
04-19-2006, 08:59 PM
we just had 2 price increases in less then 24 hours!!!!! :confused3

It started at 2.85 went to 2.99 and less then 24 hrs 3.09!!!!!!

Back in the early 70's (gee now Im really dating myself :goodvibes )

when there really was a gas shortage some stations closed early-weekends or whatever just to make there stock last until the next shipment! When you did find a station that was open lines were long. They used to limit the amount of gas you bought, and gas was no where near what it is now.--

now they just keep raising and raising--when will at all end

talk about price gouging!!!!

I better not hear of the out of this world profits these oil companies made--

I hope dome day they drown in their oil!!!!!

Does anyone know I thought it was illeagle to rise prices twice in less then24 hours!

Apparently not since nothing is being done about it

carone0318
04-20-2006, 06:02 AM
You've never pumped gasoline? Don't you travel? How about when you go to Disney?

Never pumped it. I have travelled, but dh has always pumped if we are out of state. In regards to Disney we always fly and then rent a car and like I said before when we need gas, dh pumps it. I would probably look like a fool if I had to pump it myself, but I think I could figure it out.

I have washed my windshield before, while dh is pumping the gas.

As long as it remains illegal to pump your own gas in NJ, I will remain a non-pumper....

DVC Sadie
04-20-2006, 06:58 AM
Never pumped it. I have travelled, but dh has always pumped if we are out of state. In regards to Disney we always fly and then rent a car and like I said before when we need gas, dh pumps it. I would probably look like a fool if I had to pump it myself, but I think I could figure it out.

I have washed my windshield before, while dh is pumping the gas.

As long as it remains illegal to pump your own gas in NJ, I will remain a non-pumper....

We use to have full service gas stations here in our town but they have simply washed away. I haven't pumped gas in the 20 years I've been married and hopefully won't have to anytime soon. :teeth:

Yesterday afternoon gas went up to 3.39 in our area.

becky1960
04-20-2006, 10:29 AM
On the news this morning (4-21-06) they showed gas at $ 4.14 in So. Cal. someone had posted 4.00 next year, I bet it will 4.00 this year and at least 3.50 by summer.

mom2my3kids
04-20-2006, 10:35 AM
I was at work the other day and my boss made this statement..

We (USA) need to make and refit all our cars to burn ethanol, then we need to tell them to stick the oil up their butts. We need to close our borders stop feeding the world and charge everyone else 75.00 for a bag of corn.. Sorry I had to die laughing at him, he was very mad at the gas prices..

disneychrista
04-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Hey, I support a "ban" of Exxon-Mobile, I never buy from there anyway ;)

kelleigh1
04-20-2006, 11:39 AM
On the news this morning (4-21-06) ....

How did Texas get a day ahead of the East Coast? It's only 4/20 here in Massachusetts. :teeth:

kelleigh1
04-20-2006, 11:43 AM
My husband has stated that he's buying a bike to get to work because the price near us has gone up so much. Tuesday afternoon it was $2.74 and yesterday afternoon - $2.85. It's gone up more than 50 cents a gallon since April 1.

What irritates me is that we're not being given any explanation as to why such an increase. At least last fall we were told that it was because of the damage to the refineries in the Gulf after Katrina and Rita. Now the only thing they're saying is because summer is approaching. Well summer approaches every year at this same time and I've never seen gas prices skyrocket like this.

We are seriously getting screwed and it seems like we have absolutely no recourse.

I already traded in my SUV - an explorer, not a bohemouth by any means. I take public transportation to and from work. My husband drops me off at the station on his way to work. He's now 8 miles from home instead of the 15 that it used to be. I walk from the train station home. What else can I do?

ameraumi
04-20-2006, 12:38 PM
From what DH heard on the morning talk radio, the oil companies are talking about looking into opening the oil reserves we have. He heard that if that happens, the cost of a barrel will go down to a little over $20 if we do it ourselves.

On the TODAY show yesterday they said that a station in the NY area was already at $4.50 a gallon! :furious:

deltachi8
04-20-2006, 02:21 PM
but I would rather pay Ford (Yes -- a US auto manufacturer) than pay Exxon.

You sure that ford was made in the US with US parts?

just sayin'

i think the gas prices may benefit everyone in the long term as it now makes investing in alternates technology more attractive. Why would any company invest a huge sum in say fuel cells whne they knew that gasoline was still cheap meaning most consumers would still buy the less expensive option. Now with higher gas prices, more companies may see opportunity to gain a favorable retunr on investments in new technologies.

Thing is, these things dont happen over night. The ocmpanies that figure these things out quick and do it right will benefit in the long term. It happened with compact cars in the 70's and it can happen with new techology in the coming years.

In the meantime, it just plain sucks. Do you best to limit consumption and optimize your mileage. Slow down, consolidate trips and enjoy your family time at home more often.

deltachi8
04-20-2006, 02:24 PM
What irritates me is that we're not being given any explanation as to why such an increase. At least last fall we were told that it was because of the damage to the refineries in the Gulf after Katrina and Rita. Now the only thing they're saying is because summer is approaching.

Actually, it has been said, concerns about military action in Iran and growing concerns in Nigeria. Supply concerns are driving this heavily.

jennifer293
04-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Just looked at gasbuddy.com and we are up to 2.89 today!!! :furious:

kelleigh1
04-20-2006, 04:06 PM
Actually, it has been said, concerns about military action in Iran and growing concerns in Nigeria. Supply concerns are driving this heavily.

Thanks for the info. Honestly though, our news hasn't been reporting this...or if they have, they do it when I'm not watching. I watch the news every morning while getting ready for work and every day they talk about the rising cost of gas, but they only say that it's up...either the cost at the pumps or the cost of a barrel, but they haven't once said why.

deide71
04-20-2006, 09:29 PM

just sayin'

i think the gas prices may benefit everyone in the long term as it now makes investing in alternates technology more attractive. Why would any company invest a huge sum in say fuel cells whne they knew that gasoline was still cheap meaning most consumers would still buy the less expensive option. Now with higher gas prices, more companies may see opportunity to gain a favorable retunr on investments in new technologies.

Thing is, these things dont happen over night. The ocmpanies that figure these things out quick and do it right will benefit in the long term. It happened with compact cars in the 70's and it can happen with new techology in the coming years.

In the meantime, it just plain sucks. Do you best to limit consumption and optimize your mileage. Slow down, consolidate trips and enjoy your family time at home more often.

I couldn't agree more. It hurts in the short run, but in the long run we would all benefit by being less dependant on fossil fuels. :sunny:

brivers222
04-20-2006, 09:37 PM

just sayin'

I would have to say no considering we are a teir 1 supplier of Wire harnesses for FORD, GM and CHRYSLER... All of our harnesses for the cars are made in Thailand and Mexico... So yeah the brains of Ford (engine) may be based in the US but it is hardly a 100% USA company as the veins (wire harnesses) are built and assembled overseas :confused3

sarahsmom73
04-21-2006, 06:16 AM
Gas was $3.15 for the cheapstuff yesterday but I found a station who was having a 5 cent off sale and since the price was lower yesterday there than any other place I paid $3.00 per gallon....

cobbler
04-21-2006, 07:00 AM
It really is stupid when the oil companies are making BILLION dollar profits every QUARTER!! That is unnecessary. And Exxon has de-throned Wal-Mart as the top $$ making company.

But there is no greed there.

And Nigeria? Um don't they only supply 1/10 of our oil? Iran - ok sure I can see that. And I can see how OPEC is saying "well we can sell to China and India for this price, we won't sell to you for lower", but still.

I keep asking but at some point it has to come to a head. There has to be a breaking point where enough is enough. But what will it take? When will we as a public finally get ticked off enough to let the politicians have it?

spiceycat
04-21-2006, 07:14 AM
I keep asking but at some point it has to come to a head. There has to be a breaking point where enough is enough. But what will it take? When will we as a public finally get ticked off enough to let the politicians have it?

this is a democracy - the politicans can't control a public owned corporation...

you can drive slower (which most Americans will not), you can buy a car that uses less gasoline (even American manufacture make these things), you can kept your car in great shape (check the tires, oil, etc).

what happened in the 70's was a ton of Americans switched cars.... Guess what the gas shortage ended....

now admitted today not only Americans would have to switch, but the Chinese and India people too...

don't most of Europe and Great Britian pay what $5 or more for a gallon of gas.... they get by with smaller cars.

mjbaby
04-21-2006, 07:47 AM
We hear a lot about personal responsibility here with regards to education, choosing jobs, having and raising children, etc. - in other words, being responsible for ones own choices and their consequences (financial and otherwise). So I am surprised by the absence of taking responsibility for the costs one is shouldering for gas. Sure, oil companies are making some money here, but why wouldn't they? We're the ones who've set up our lives to be dependent upon them.

I can't tell you how many times my Passat (very safe, by the way, and gets over 32 MPG highway) is the only non-truck or SUV in a given parking lot. And suggesting to some of my friends that we don't need to hit the park or the Target everyday? I may as well be suggesting that they chain themselves to the basement. My friends with three kids who "need" a minivan or SUV cast disparaging looks at my husband's Volvo wagon I use for carpooling - a 1992 that fits three car seats across and two boosters in the "way back" and gets great mileage, to boot. But it ain't cool and cool counts for a lot in driving these days, doesn't it.

Moreover, a lot of gas that's being used in "driving up" (ha!) worldwide demand is being used all over the world to make us the cheap stuff we love to buy at Wal-Mart and Target and (yep) Disney and then shipped back to us - using more oil. You can bet that any time you see a cheap souvie somewhere that the price doesn't reflect the true cost in resources required to get it to the shelf.

I'm not pointing fingers at any individual and make no mistake I'm not exonerating myself from participation in the U.S. lifestyle. The fact is that we as a nation chose this path and now we're going to have to pay for it. Driving less and in more efficient cars is one way to alleviate the problem, but so is buying less overall, eating foods produced locally (and minimally processed) and really overhauling our expectations of what "cheap" really is and what it truly costs.

Only when we're willing to take a hard look at our own complicity in the problem will we make any great strides. Let's work together to own the issue and together we can solve it.

sarahsmom73
04-21-2006, 08:19 AM
We live just across Lake Champlain from Vt and there was something on the news about charging extra tax for people who dirve Mini Vans and SUV's.. We own a toyota corrolla (41 mpg) that my DH drives each day 60 miles to and from work.. We also have a 4 wheel Drive Kia Sorrento because we litterally live in the woods. There are days that we can't make it to main road if our plow guy hasn't made it in to plow, not to mention there are days when the roads are really bad... We have taken to using the corolla more even though we are more cramped. On bad roads and longer trips we will continue to use the KIA.. Hopefully I won't get flamed here but there are lots of places out there that really don't require the use of 4 wheel drive and yet you see them all over. To penalize people who use them in a place where a snow storm can measure in feet kind of stinks... As for mini vans I think there are MANY MANY people out there with big families that couldn't manage without them!

I totally agree we need to be responisble about our consumption of gas and oil. We need to find alternatives. I also think that as corporate america keeps raking it in ,it is the American people who are truly suffering. It seems to be going from bad to worse...

kelleigh1
04-21-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm not saying that the number of SUV and other gas-guzzlers on the roads here in the U.S. isn't contributing to this problem, but I have to wonder how much we can blame it on these vehicles when Europeans drive significantly smaller cars, requiring less gas and yet they are paying even more than we are.

How does that work? The majority of Europeans drive SmartCars or other compact vehicles. There are very few SUV's on the roads, and most of those are actually owned by the military personnel stationed there, so why aren't their gas prices going down?

Something doesn't add up here.

famfab5
04-21-2006, 09:00 AM
:sad2: We have a vacation booked for the end of August. I do know if gas prices keep skyrocketing then we will cancel our vacation. In 2004 when we drove to Disney the first time, the price of gas was 1.99 and we thought that was just ridiculous. I can't imagine driving when the price would be over 3.00! :rolleyes2

deltachi8
04-21-2006, 09:01 AM
It really is stupid when the oil companies are making BILLION dollar profits every QUARTER!! That is unnecessary. And Exxon has de-throned Wal-Mart as the top $$ making company.

But there is no greed there.

And Nigeria? Um don't they only supply 1/10 of our oil? Iran - ok sure I can see that. And I can see how OPEC is saying "well we can sell to China and India for this price, we won't sell to you for lower", but still.

ya, 1/10th of the oil supply cant be that much right? we only use a couple barrels a day...if the nigerian supply was cut off it would have a HUGE impact on supply and hence, pricing.

and a FWIW, we are paying less per gallon in inflation adjusted dollars than the country did in the gas shortage of the 1970s.

Like Spicey said, the market adjusts. Smaller cars will become more popular again. Ramped up production of hybirds will happen and you will see more investment in new technology because now there is a payoff for it.

Its how markets work. Placing artifical/governemnet imposed caps on it will retard the progress the market itself generates.

deltachi8
04-21-2006, 09:04 AM
I would have to say no considering we are a teir 1 supplier of Wire harnesses for FORD, GM and CHRYSLER... All of our harnesses for the cars are made in Thailand and Mexico... So yeah the brains of Ford (engine) may be based in the US but it is hardly a 100% USA company as the veins (wire harnesses) are built and assembled overseas :confused3

Just a side note on this. A few years ago, a city in Michigan was trying to pass a law making it illegal to park a foreign made car in the city garage or lot or something like that (cant remember the particular). The local radio guy here in Buffalo had on an official from the city and asked him what he considered the american car - the Ford Escort made in Mexico or the Toyota Camry made in Kentucky. The official said, well Ford is an american company so it would be the ford and the camry would not be allowed. Always found that interesting....

sammielynn
04-21-2006, 12:37 PM
I would love to trade my Mini Van for a smaller car, but I do not feel safe in a small car with all the SUV's and Vans on the road. Have you see pictures of a small car that has been run over by a larger one :guilty: .
I drove small cars for years out of choice, but with kids I went to a van. I do love having the room but would love to get the gas mileage of my old Subaru.