PDA

View Full Version : Need help from an owner of Vistana Resort, Or anyone knowledgeable of timeshares..

cgcruz
04-18-2006, 12:51 AM
I'm looking at a Vistana Resort listing at the timeshare store. This is what I see for a listing I like.

ID Number:1125 Resort:Vistana Resort City:Lake Buena Vista
State:FL Country: Exchange Color:RED
Fixed Week:6 Float Week: Season:RED
Bedroom/Bath:2/2 Sleeps:8 Lockout:n/a
Maint Fee:552.1300 Price: $2,600.00 Deeded:Yes
Right to Use:Falls Section How Long:n/a Exch Affil:II, RCI-Gold Crown

Seems like a great price. I would love to have a timeshare at Orlando, and i've heard a lot of good things from Disers who own at Vistana. I don't really understand the timeshare lingo... What am I looking at? How many days is this for? Is it every year? Week 6 means like the beginning of March? Here's the link..... http://www.timesharesale.com/detail2.cfm?ID=1125&resortname=Vistana%20Resort

swilshire
04-18-2006, 03:39 AM
There are lots of Vistana units for sale. This wouldn't be the best you can find.

Timeshares are typically one week per year unless the listing specifies an EOY (every other year) or Points.

The Falls units are old. Still nice, but older. Not sure you can exchange them with II. Not all sections do. The listing says you can, but I'd confirm that first. Being able to exchange with either II or RCI is an advantage.

It's a fixed week 6. That would be about mid-February. If that works for your family .... good. If not, or if not always, you'd be better off with a floating week that lets you go whenever you want. A google search would turn up some timeshare calendars that give you an idea of the exact dates. Resorts vary, though, so checking with Vistana would be the best bet.

Always ask if the maintenance fee listed includes the taxes. Each section at Vistana is different, so I'm not sure about the Falls. Mine are more in the Fountains and the Spas.

Feel free to ask more questions if I missed anything. It's a great resort, but I think you can do better than this unless you particularly want week 6. Price is not the only consideration. Better to pay a little more upfront and get a week that best meets your needs IMHO.

Sheila

MiaSRN62
04-18-2006, 06:57 AM
Sheila answered your questions very well. The price sounds decent, but I'll add that I agree with her about maybe finding a "float" week for more flexibility. But if you are ok with vacationing every year in Feb (7 nights), then maybe you could counter the asking price with an offer. Also, wanted to add that this is a Falls unit and the ad states "sleeps 8". I'd say more like "sleeps 6". This particular section has 2 twin beds in the second bathroom vs two double beds in the other sections. This might be a factor in your decision. I'm also not sure it trades with II. I own in the Fountains section at Vistana and I can confirm that we can trade via RCI or II. But each section has it's own association and policies.

keishashadow
04-18-2006, 07:29 AM
In timeshare speak, what does a "float" week mean?

What does the "color" describe - season?
I do understand the concept of buying a certain numbered week. Sure don't want to sit thru a TS presentation to find out though.LOL

spiceycat
04-18-2006, 08:45 AM
floating week is that - one week that does not have to be the same every time.

a fixed week will always be week 6 - no matter what.

a floating week could be week 6 or 12 or 24 or 48 or 34 - what you want it to be.....

red is surpose to be a good time - but all of Orlando is red - the other seasons are white, blue with RCI.

I forget what the other colors are with II - I am pretty sure they change based on the demand for that week.

the red means nothing - every week in Orlando is red... ignore it and how wonderful this week is.

keishashadow
04-18-2006, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the info!

mbb
04-18-2006, 09:20 AM
and good for you cgcruz, for looking at the resale route:)

There aren't many timeshare developments around that would make sense to buy direct from the developer :thumbsup2

You might want to poke around on www.tug2.net for lots, lots,lots more information:)

HTH!..and let us know what happens!!
:sunny:

cgcruz
04-18-2006, 10:19 PM
BTW... How close are the Vistana Resorts from Walt Disney World?

You said the falls section is old. Are they still nice? We dont have kids yet, so it would be just my fiance and I.

Are they like Disney where there is an end date, or do you own for life?

Are there a lot of good quality timeshares close to WDW for less than $3,000?

cgcruz
04-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Is there a website that I could see pictures of Vistana?

MiaSRN62
04-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Vistana is close to WDW. It's about 1 mile from Downtown Disney. Maybe a 10 min drive to Epcot and maybe 15 min drive to the MK. These are estimates.
The official Vistana website only shows pics of the newest sections (which can be deceiving). There are 9 different sections on the resort. Some dating back pre 1980 and others pretty new---having completed construction around 2001 or so. Here is the main website :http://www.starwoodvo.com/resorts/welcome.jsp?resortID=5

YOu can see some other pics here :
http://www.tug1.net/pics/flpics/vista2.jpg

Here are some of my pics :
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287948459

You are deeded for life with Vistana---so no, it's not like Disney. The Falls are ok. They might pale a little bit in comparison with the newer sections on the resort. I know some on these boards have stayed there and didn't mind that the units were a little dated.
I would check out TUG if I were you before making any purchase :
http://www.tug2.net/
Some areas on TUG are free to anyone and other areas require a subscription and password to enter. It's well worth the $15 if you plan to purchase a timeshare for the wealth of information available. Most people would recommend buying a resale but I know some perks are given up at Vistana if you buy the newer Lakes/Cascades sections on resale. There are certain perks/privleges only offered through the developer. They may or may not be important to you and you will pay top dollar if buying from the resort directly. So if all you want is a place to stay when you visit Orlando/WDW, then resale should be fine. If you plan to trade out/exchange into other resorts around the world etc, you might benefit from buying the newer sections at Vistana directly from the developer or buying a non-Orlando based timeshare. The market is flooded with Orlando timeshares and they tend to not have the strongest trading power. The newer Cascades/Lakes belong to the Starwood Vacation Network and can internally trade to some really nice resorts---such as Atlantis Harbourside in the Bahamas. But like I said.....you'll pay top dollar from the developer. So alot depends on what is really important to you and how you plan to use your timeshare. I strongly suggest the TUG website and their message boards as well.
Best of luck to you.........

spiceycat
04-19-2006, 07:49 AM
yes, there are several Orlando resorts you can buy for $3,000 or less.

I stayed in Springs - I think it is older??? than Falls.

here are my pictures
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/spiceypj/album?.dir=3a1c&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

disneygals
04-20-2006, 10:01 AM
We bought a Vistana resale in 1998, NO regrets. I would also strongly suggest a floating week, even if it is more money now.

ctc917
04-20-2006, 11:31 AM
out ebay. We brought a second timeshare from e-bay and only payed around $1000.00 for it, not Florida but Williamsburg VA, 2 bedroom, red week..

I would do some more reading on Timeshares or ask questions and then try e-bay too they have a lot listed in the Orlando area and you could get a deal..

I also think that you can go to the RCI's website and get into their online catalog and that will give you some more information about a place if it trades with RCI.

ctc917

Sherri
04-20-2006, 12:20 PM
I think thats a great deal. We own at Westgate which is also reallynice. We also own DVC vacation points. Our BIG regret was that we bought our first Westgate straight through Westgate but our second Westgate through resale and boy what a difference in price. Orlando has huge trading power as well. We have traded to go to Spain and Ireland and Now New Orleans. Its great the motivation it gives you to go out and see the world. Good Luck. I really don't think you will regret ownership, wherever you choose to own.

MiaSRN62
04-21-2006, 06:28 AM
I stayed in Springs - I think it is older??? than Falls.
The Falls is actually older.

As far as Vistana goes, in order of oldest to newest :
Courts 1980
Falls 1982
Spas 1984
Palms 1987
Springs 1988
Fountains I/II 1990-92
Lakes 1995-97
Cascades (construction began in '98 and went on for a few years)

klynn
04-21-2006, 07:47 AM
If you watch eBay there are some nice deals. For example I recently bought a CHRISTMAS week at a 5-star resort (Parkway International) for under $400.