PDA

View Full Version : Frugal Entertainment?

pearlieq
04-17-2006, 04:40 PM
Lately I've noticed DH and I are in a pretty bad rut in terms of how we spend our free time. More often than I'd care to admit, we spent evenings and weekends bored and watching TV. :guilty:

So, I'm turning to everyone here for ideas. I'm looking for fun things to do that don't cost too much. We're game for just about anything!

What do you all do for kicks?

mrsbornkuntry
04-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Dh and I like to go hiking. We also move frequently so we like to go for scenic drives since we're usually not that familiar with the area. I don't know how frugal this is, but if you go on nights when they're having specials you could go bowling or to the movies (a matinee or dollar theater). We like to play cards or board games, too.

we3disneygo
04-17-2006, 05:12 PM
:thumbsup2 cheap things to do: go for a walk, go library and check out dvd's, ride bikes, ice skating, rollar skating, movies before 6 pm, clean out garage, bowling, free movies in our area during spring and fall sat. and sun. am,volunter at church or soup kitchen,we just got a basketball hoop worth every penny!!!!! , go to antique mall, thrift stores, my dh works 3 weekends a month so................... hope this helps!

EthansMom
04-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Some of our less expensive options: play boardgames or cards, go to the library, go to our town's General Store for a cup of coffee and some conversation.

annsteere
04-17-2006, 07:26 PM
See if your local theater uses volunteer ushers. I see a play or production every month just for volunteering my time.

I work at our local community college and have seen big names like Marvin Hamlish as well as student productions.

barbeml
04-17-2006, 08:06 PM
We bike and hike, sometimes we pack a picnic.

We entertain friends and family a lot...we have company for dinner at least once a week. With the two couples we are closest to, we fire up the grill and everyone brings something to grill and a side dish or two. Sometimes it's just pasta & salad.

We also do a lot of movie nights with friends. We decide on a flick from among whatever one of us has gotten new or recorded, and all chip in for pizza.

englishteacha
04-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Wow Perlieq, I thought you were describing my husband and me! We're in the same boat. I like to go yard saling and bargain hunting, though my DH doesn't enjoy it like I do. Sometimes we go for a walk downtown and window shop. I agree with most of the other posts, too. Is there an interest you share that you could get involved in? Maybe volunteering at the animal shelter or coaching/playing a sport? Maybe you could take a class together. I keep trying to get my DH to take ballroom dance lessons with me. I figure if I ask every year, he'll eventually get tired of saying "no" and give in!! :)

mommyceratops
04-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Not free but we do Netflix and it is nice to have a movie to watch on the weekends.

MEM
04-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Our local library has museum passes that you can reserve and check out for the day. Most times the admission is covered 100% or there is a small co-pay of $2 or so per person. We have a family of four and that is the only way we can take advantage of the museums here in Greater Boston.