PDA

View Full Version : What brand of Balsamic Vinegar do you like?

Zandy595
04-17-2006, 01:40 PM
I bought my first bottle a while ago and it was awful. I'm making a tomato, mozzarella, basil salad that I'd like to put balsamic on, but I need to find a good one.

porterbl1
04-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Whole Foods 365 brand is inexpensive and rated #1 by Cooks Illustrated. It is very good.
-Becca

tolookaa5
04-17-2006, 05:18 PM
I love Colavita!! :love: I use it for my pasta salad!!

mickeymousemom
04-17-2006, 06:44 PM
The bottle I have in my cabinet is Regina...says its imported from Italy. I think it tastes wonderful!

wdw_dine_junkie
04-18-2006, 12:04 PM
I bought my first bottle a while ago and it was awful. I'm making a tomato, mozzarella, basil salad that I'd like to put balsamic on, but I need to find a good one.

For the salad you are making, I'd make a balsamic reduction. Just pour a bottle of balsamic in a saucepan and let it simmer until it reduces and get thick and sweet and syrupy, takes a few hours. We did this in a cooking class I took and it was wonderful on the Caprese salad. Pour it into a squirt bottle and it will last forever and your salad will look very fancy :thumbsup2

Zandy595
04-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks everyone. I ended up buying Regina. I'm going to try that reduction for the Caprese salad tonight. :thumbsup2

theprincess
04-24-2006, 08:56 PM
I work at an Italian Grocery Store and I buy Fini brand balsalmic vinegar and Modena brand. I like them both. There are so many different kinds and brands out there just give it a try and see which one you like. (Try it over strawberries~excellent)

Zandy595
04-25-2006, 01:26 PM
I really like the Regina balsamic, but I think I reduced it a little too much. When it cooled it was like tar (still tasted good though). :stir: :rolleyes2 Guess I'll have to try it again sometime. DS10 doesn't want me to do it when he's home though because it "made the house smell gross".