PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever bought a cell phone from Ebay?

rach2674
04-15-2006, 11:11 PM
I'd like to add another line to our family talk with Cingular, but not sure if I want to pay for their phones or if I could find one on Ebay. They don't seem to be very cheap there and was hoping to find something better than what Cingular offers...like a PDA. The only thing I hate is that Cingular does not have an unlimited text messaging service. Do you know of a phone company or PDA service that has this?

So in a nutshell....want to either add a line or get a separate PDA. Want to be able to check email and chat/IM or text on it without charging me an arm and a leg.

Any suggestions??

Thanks!

Rachel

tmt martins
04-15-2006, 11:16 PM
I have Nextel .So it's easy to just switch the Sims.

So yes I have bought several ( upgrades and replacements) on E-bay .I have 5 phones on my plan so I try to go through Nextel when I get a deal (Company discount as well)but e-bay can get me nice phones for the cheap.

Never had a problem also do many of the accesories from E-bay as well.

my4boys+1
04-16-2006, 12:13 AM
I got my Nextel from E-bay works great I also got my son a pre paid through ebay

DareTooDream
04-16-2006, 01:22 AM
A friend of mine bought a phone off ebay. I may not have the verbage quite right, but she did check the ESN number first. She received the phone but cannot switch/activate it. The previous owner has a balance due of almost $400 and won't pay it. So, my friend has some fancy phone she can't use. Just use caution............
Sherry

tmt martins
04-16-2006, 08:15 AM
A friend of mine bought a phone off ebay. I may not have the verbage quite right, but she did check the ESN number first. She received the phone but cannot switch/activate it. The previous owner has a balance due of almost $400 and won't pay it. So, my friend has some fancy phone she can't use. Just use caution............
Sherry

Thats whats nice about Nextel they go by the Sims not the phone its self so you just put your Sims in the new phone.The only thing you have to worry about is if it's a stole phone Nextel can track that when you transmit.But you have a reciept that you bought it on e-bay and they have somewhere else to go after.

Nascia
04-16-2006, 08:29 AM
Prior to becoming a SAHM, I had worked in sales for Verizon Wireless. We would often suggest E-Bay to customers that had broken phones before their contract was up. I have had quite a few customers do this with very few problems. I would highly suggest you buy from a reputiable seller (that is, one with a large amount of positive feedback). Good Luck.

dis-happy
04-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I needed a new Sprint compatible phone and found one on ebay at a great price. It seemed like there are some companies there who specialize in reselling phones. Try and bid from them, they had a lot of good feedback and seemed reputable.

Wendi2000
04-16-2006, 01:47 PM
I bought a phone from eBay because I wanted a really cool phone that isn't sold in the USA. I searched for "unlocked" phones so I could be sure to use it with any service provider... just put my SIM card in the phone and it worked!

NancyIL
04-16-2006, 02:17 PM
When you add a new line of service, that's when you get the cool phones at their lowest prices - as long as you sign a 1 or 2-year contract. I would get the new line and phone from Cingular (or one of their authorized dealers like Best Buy or Wirefly), and save E-bay for cheap replacement phones.

My son dropped and broke his Motorola Razr at WDW while only 3 months into a 2-year contract! My DH bought him a cheap Nokia on E-bay, and just switched the SIM card to the new phone.

horseshowmom
04-17-2006, 01:42 AM
I searched for "unlocked" phones so I could be sure to use it with any service provider... just put my SIM card in the phone and it worked!

I've bought several for DH (he's really hard on phones) and haven't had any problems.

Letsbgoofy
04-17-2006, 07:34 AM
Verizon and Cingular both have unlimited text messaging for a fee. My son has the $9.99/month plan with Verizon. He gets unlimited in text messaging, and 500 other text messages per month. I don't remember exctly what the Cingular deal was, but you can find it on their website.

rach2674
04-17-2006, 08:07 AM
I think I remember Cingular telling me they didn't have an unlimited. I don't text much, but if I got into it, I probably would.

Also, for those of you who have bought phones, what is the average price you paid for one.

And...have you all had the "regular" phones and not ones with a keyboard type device? I'm wondering how much of a pain it would be to text or email with just a regular phone.

Rachel

Nascia
04-17-2006, 08:37 AM
I use the T9Word feature (predictive text) which makes it soo much easier to text. Its fairly easy to do once you get used to it. It will usually get the right word unless you're trying to type a name or abreviate something. Traditionally you word have to touch each key until the correct letter came up, ie to spell the word "start", you would have to hit the "7" key four times to get the letter "s" to come up and then repeat until you've got your word. It all it would take ten key stokes to spell "start". With the T9Word, you would simply touch "7" "8" "2" "7" "8". You would be using half the keystokes. It does make a bit of difference when you are typing a whole message.

jordancej
04-17-2006, 11:20 AM
I had bought my phone directly from Cingular a couple years ago and paid $85, and i really liked it. Told my sister about it and she wanted one but didnt want to pay that much, so i started looking on ebay, and to my suprise i found the same exact phone i had just bought, i ended up winning it for $15, all with original box, etc. My sister has been using it ever since... no problems what so ever! Next time i decide to get a new phone, say the least i'm checking ebay first!! :)