PDA

View Full Version : eBay/Paypal Question - Please help!

Michelina
04-15-2006, 07:05 AM
I've never accepted credit card payments through Paypal for any of my eBay auctions. Now my top bidder wants to know if she can pay with CC if she pays the fees? I went to the Paypal website but I couldn't tell if the fees were any greater than the 2.9% they already charge me? Does anyone know the answer? Thanks so much for your help!

plummer925
04-15-2006, 07:13 AM
I've never accepted credit card payments through Paypal for any of my eBay auctions. Now my top bidder wants to know if she can pay with CC if she pays the fees? I went to the Paypal website but I couldn't tell if the fees were any greater than the 2.9% they already charge me? Does anyone know the answer? Thanks so much for your help!

It is against federal law for you to charge your customer a fee for using a credit card (I know this because I used to work for a credit card company).

I would NOT do it - if you switch your account, then ALL of your customers can - and will - pay with credit cards, not only that, but you will be charged for ALL transactions.

What does your auction terms state? SHe can pay you with an echeck or direct transfer. If your terms state no credit cards, then NO she can't pay with one.

Wait - you said they already charge you 2.9%????? I'm confused - I thought personal accounts were not charged for anything?????

plummer925
04-15-2006, 07:20 AM
I just went to the paypal site and personal accounts do not have fees to receive money (you are limited on the amount of money per month you receive)

Premier accounts and business accounts DO charge - it's 1.9-2.9% PLUS $0.30 per transaction.

If you are getting charged per transaction anyway, you must have a premier account, which means that you have probably been accepting credit cards all along, just not realizing it.

Again - it's against the law for you to charge your customer for a credit card fee. BUT...you CAN charge them a handling fee (which is how all the companies get away with it).

You need to log onto your PayPal account to see if you have a personal or premier account. Do you have a PayPal debit card? If so, you have a premier account and might as well accept credit cards because you're getting charged for ALL transactions anyway.

If you have a personal account, on the left side of the screen (on PayPal's main page), it will give an option to "upgrade" (again -I wouldn't do it!).

If you have a personal account, and have been getting charged, you will need to contact PayPal about it!

Good luck!!!

Michelina
04-15-2006, 07:29 AM
It is against federal law for you to charge your customer a fee for using a credit card
Hmm... I had no idea! I wonder why she would offer to pay fees.
When I click on transaction fees it says this:

Fees for receiving payments from buyers in the United States
Your account is enabled for Standard Rate. Based on your sales volume, you are currently being charged 2.9%.

I have no idea why I'd have a Premier account, I probably sell one thing a year on eBay, I do most of my selling on half.com. :confused3

Well, I guess I'll go ahead and let her pay w/ cc sincce I'm getting charged a fee anyway. How do I ask Paypal what's going on? The buyer is in Canada if that makes any difference...

2Princes2Princesses
04-15-2006, 07:31 AM
If you are charged per transaction now, as the other posters said, then you have a Premier Account and can accept CC's. The fee for the CC transaction will be the same, as far as I know...it has been awhile since I sold on Ebay.

Didn't Ebay/Paypal change policy that if you accept Paypal, you have to accept CC's??? I thought they had. But then again, I have always had the Premier account, so I don't know. :confused3

The fees bite, that I DO know. :)

plummer925
04-15-2006, 07:54 AM
I dont' know if them being in Canada makes a difference, I do not sell outside the USA (been bitten way too many times on postage - plus I don't like the risk of chargbacks and it's MUCH harder to track!)

If I were you, this is what i would do: I'd tell her that IF you are able to accept credit cards (the only way you'd know is to have her try!) she's welcome to pay that way. BUT...if paypal requires you to upgrade your account, you will not be able to take the card. Have her try to pay you - if you get an email asking you to upgrade the account, say "NO" to it - then she will need to pay you per your terms. Tell her you're willing to TRY it but that if it doesn't work, that she'll need to pay with an echeck or however else you accept funds.

This is what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

Good luck! :)

Michelina
04-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks Crystal, that's a good idea : )

makelab
04-15-2006, 08:48 AM
If you are charged per transaction now, as the other posters said, then you have a Premier Account and can accept CC's. The fee for the CC transaction will be the same, as far as I know...it has been awhile since I sold on Ebay.

Didn't Ebay/Paypal change policy that if you accept Paypal, you have to accept CC's??? I thought they had. But then again, I have always had the Premier account, so I don't know. :confused3

The fees bite, that I DO know. :)
you're right. if you accept paypal, you must accept credit card payments. i think it was paypal's way of moving everyone to premier status, getting more money, etc.

DMRick
04-15-2006, 09:01 AM
you're right. if you accept paypal, you must accept credit card payments. i think it was paypal's way of moving everyone to premier status, getting more money, etc.
I think it's only if you advertise you take Paypal on eBay, then you must accept credit card payments. Some people still accept Paypal, you just don't know it unless you ask, since they can't advertise it.
The other thing with a personal account that I found, is if you are paid with foreign money, there doesn't appear to be a limit.

lost*in*cyberspace
04-15-2006, 11:50 AM
The above posters are correct. If you accept PayPal for payment for eBay auctions, you don't have a choice as to what types of payments you will accept. You MUST accept a credit card payment if a buyer tries to pay that way. This rule changed last August.

plummer925
04-15-2006, 12:01 PM
The above posters are correct. If you accept PayPal for payment for eBay auctions, you don't have a choice as to what types of payments you will accept. You MUST accept a credit card payment if a buyer tries to pay that way. This rule changed last August.

That is only true if you put PayPal's LOGO in the auctions (notice the logo has the V/MC/Disc logos inside it). You can still take a PayPal non credit card payment but just can't put the logo in your auctions (I don't think you can put that you take paypal in the auction either).

Either way, it's just ebay's ways of sucking more money out of us!! I hate PayPal with a passion, but I do take it for my sales becuase some buyers will NOT bid if you don't take it (but - I USED to sell full time on ebay now I sell only every now and then - I just refuse to pay the fees!).

lost*in*cyberspace
04-15-2006, 12:06 PM
That is only true if you put PayPal's LOGO in the auctions

You are correct. However, if you don't advertise that you accept Paypal (which is a big selling point when I am a buyer), then why accept it at all?

robinb
04-15-2006, 12:38 PM
That is only true if you put PayPal's LOGO in the auctions.

You cannot say that you take PayPal at all if you don't accept Credit Cards. That means you can't use it as an option (as a LOGO) *or* in your description. I agree that it's a way for eBay/Paypal to make more money.

From eBay:
Sellers who offer PayPal as a payment option on eBay (either using logos or text in the item description) must accept all forms of PayPal payment including account balance, bank account transfer, and credit cards. Sellers must have a Premier or Business PayPal Account or be willing to upgrade from a Personal PayPal Account to a Premier or Business Account if sellers receive a credit card payment. Sellers may not communicate to buyers that they accept, or will not accept, specific forms of PayPal payment.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Forfeiture of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Limits on account privileges

Loss of PowerSeller status

Account suspension

Plantlady
04-15-2006, 01:54 PM
I too, never accept paypal for payment, and I always state clearly in my ads "No Paypal". If someone wins, and asks to pay with a CC, I simply state no. Not worth the hassle. I feel they should read the description.

I do understand the benefits of paypal though, and often pay that way, but, I don't want to pay the fees when people play me.

SO, I would just tell your top bidder no, you don't accept credit cards.

Michelina
04-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Sellers who offer PayPal as a payment option on eBay (either using logos or text in the item description) must accept all forms of PayPal payment including account balance, bank account transfer, and credit cards. Sellers must have a Premier or Business PayPal Account or be willing to upgrade from a Personal PayPal Account to a Premier or Business Account if sellers receive a credit card payment. Sellers may not communicate to buyers that they accept, or will not accept, specific forms of PayPal payment.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation
Forfeiture of eBay fees on cancelled listings
Limits on account privileges
Loss of PowerSeller status
Account suspension

I really appreciate all this info. I sell so infrequently on eBay that I must have missed when the change happened. I'm going to have to update my payment information. I'm hoping to start selling more to help finance our trip this fall.