PDA

View Full Version : I hate gift cards!

disneysteve
04-14-2006, 09:41 PM
DW got a gift card at the holidays. She tried to use it the other day and discovered that the rules for the card state that it can not be used for partial payment. The purchase must be equal to or less than the balance on the card. So for this $25 card, the purchase must be exactly $25 or less. If the purchase is $25.01, she can't use the card and pay one penny extra. Of course, this means that it is virtually impossible to totally use the card's value since with tax, nothing is ever exactly $25. Her coworker said she managed to spend the full amount but only by carefully calculating her purchases to total exactly $25. That's insane. Just give cash next time please.

I used to give my staff gift cards each year but I stopped a few years ago due to all the wacky rules, regulations and restrictions. Now they all get cash and I haven't heard any complaints.

BethR
04-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Steve - that has to be one of the craziest things I have ever heard!

CheapMom
04-14-2006, 10:03 PM
What kind of gift card was that? I never heard of such a thing-
I have heard that a lot of them lose value as time goes on- after 6 months some of them start depriciating.
I am glad your wife whipped out the calculator and stuck it to the man like that- spending precisely $25.

tmt martins
04-14-2006, 10:04 PM
They say something like 30% of all gift card amounts either don't get used or get eaten up by hidden fees.

Great way to profit and thats why everyone has one now a days ( McD's).They have your money and are earning interest on it then hit you with the hidden fees as well.

ziggystardust
04-14-2006, 10:08 PM
wow! I have never heard of that, I would think that they would want you to spend more money than the gift card b/c thats more money for them. I have heard of not getting cash back if the purchase was a certain amount under the gift card amount.

Maybe you should try again, it really sounds odd.

momrek06
04-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Steve: The state of MASS has CRACKED down big time on Stores/Malls issuing Gift Cards. Stores/Malls were issuing gift cards and issuing all kinds of crazy ridiculous rules and consumers were going crazy trying to figure out all the YES' and NO's that applied to the card.

Now, it is so much easier here in MA. The Malls and Stores have all been given rules and regulations on how to make gift cards to consumers basically "user friendly".

On the flip side on gift cards: I gave DS' DGF about 5 gc for Xmas. She made out like a "fat rat", seriously. For instance, I gave her a $50.00 gc to EXPRESS and after Xmas she bought $100.00 worth of sale clothes with the $50.00gc, likewise with American Eagle and Victoria's Secret. Actually, I read in our newspaper that stores actually LOST money on the gc as they would issue them BEFORE the holidays and then after the holidays is when they were used and consumers got about triple the amount of merchandise, then they would had they used the card PRIOR to XMAS.

imsayin
04-14-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm curious, what store? I've never heard of this.

We have a mall nearby that charges a fee to buy their gift card. I can't remember what the fee was, as I didn't buy the card.

ClarabelleCowFan
04-14-2006, 10:21 PM
I had a Webcertificate that was the same way. I ended up using a $25 card on a $22.40 purchase so I lost $2.60.

Vivianne
04-14-2006, 10:22 PM
I used my $25 gift card and paid an extra $6 to buy a quesadilla maker this week at Kohls. DH loves it. :)

I think it depends on the store. I've used and given gift cards without any problem. :tink:

KPmom
04-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Could you pay the extra first and leave exactly 25 remaining due, then use the card? For example, if the total was 75.50 pay 50.50 and then use the card for the remaining 25? ~kpmom

texasthree
04-14-2006, 10:38 PM
That must of been a visa gift card not a specific store. Those visa gift cards you can buy at the bank are terrible. They are impossible to use the full amount. Visa is making a killing on them!

babiesX2
04-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Please tell us what store has that GC rule? I want to avoid it.

I spent a Xmas GC yesterday at Dillard's. My uncle gave us a $50 one. I wanted something for Dh and me. We spend all the money on the kids. We bought a set of 330 thread count sheets (so luxurious) which were regular $150 on clearance for $69! I put an extra $25 with the GC and now we have luxurious sheets for our bed. :love: Our old set of sheets were Wal-Mart specials that I bought about 6 years ago. You could see the pattern of the mattress through them. :3dglasses

DisneyMommyMichelle
04-14-2006, 10:43 PM
i HATE the visa gc!!! DH and i both got them for Christmas and they didn't work at any stores!!! how embaressing!! even with the receipt from MIL!!! it was AWFUL! finally after many failed attempts and the cashiers on the 1-800# to hear the balance themselves, we went to the bank it was issued at and got CASH instead!

momrek06
04-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Please tell us what store has that GC rule? I want to avoid it.

I spent a Xmas GC yesterday at Dillard's. My uncle gave us a $50 one. I wanted something for Dh and me. We spend all the money on the kids. We bought a set of 330 thread count sheets (so luxurious) which were regular $150 on clearance for $69! I put an extra $25 with the GC and now we have luxurious sheets for our bed. :love: Our old set of sheets were Wal-Mart specials that I bought about 6 years ago. You could see the pattern of the mattress through them. :3dglasses

YUP, that is exactly what I meant on my POST above!!! So for $25.00 you got yourself $150.00 SHEETS.....well that is SWEET!! Pat yourself on the back for some GOOD SHOPPING!!! :woohoo:

I actually do love gc's! Around my area, they are awesome. Even for restaurants. AWESOME!!!

I think this PAST Xmas was a BIG gc Xmas for my family and friends! YUP, and I found it to be EASY & EASY! :thumbsup2
I made sure that every single gc I bought for a present, I SAVED the receipt until WAY after the person received the card and had done their shopping JUST on the WHIM, that the card did NOT work...I would have my receipt to show for it!!!

I have a sis that is not very well off financially and I found years ago IF I gave her $$$, it went towards FASTFOOD instead of a pair of shoes or underwear for her fam....so I always get her a Wal-Mart gc and she emails me or drops me a note to tell me what she has used it for someething that she needed badly!!! NEVER ever had a problem with Wal-Mart!

eeyore45
04-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Hate gc... HATE HATE HATE gc... its the smart way for hte businesses to take money - and then to convince the consumers they are brilliant for giving plastic instead of cash!! EXCUUUUSE me!! Brilliant them, stupid us!!

and my cousin wanted to give dh and I a night "out" at a restaurant, she checked found out we have a Red Lobster less than one mile away, bought a $25 gc... we never got to use it!! Yep, THAT RL closed, we tried 2 others, finally found one, but after 3 months, Red Lobster charged US for NOT using the gc...

then since gc (and credit cards) are magneticly sensitive, you can wipe your balance, and yes, you may have a reciept, but can you PROVE you never used it??? Best Buy is the worst for consumers as far as that goes, you can purchase the gc, and then go straigth to guest services to make sure the right amount is encoded on the card, and of course it isnt, but can you PROVE you didnt use it !um its been FIVE minutes!!) uggg

Never, never will I burden anyone I know and like with a gc!!

shades
04-14-2006, 11:15 PM
We always get Barnes & Noble gift cards from my mom for Christmas and her birthday is in Feb and I usually use her gift to me and then add some $$ to it to puchase her card. I love to read - but, have a mountain of books that I need to read before I buy more. She loves to read, too and I keep telling her to quit spending money on us (she's retired and on a fixed income) - so, I return her money to her and double the amount so she can buy lots of books.

I've never had any problems with Barnes & Noble, and/or Borders gift cards.

She did send dd a Visa gift card for Christmas and I've pushed DD to use it and she likes having it and is saving it. She did use it once at Borders and didn't have any problems at all. It worked just like a regular Visa.

BethR
04-14-2006, 11:19 PM
DH got a VISA gift card as a prize from something at work. We haven't used it yet. I hope that I can learn from everyone's experiences to avoid any problems with it. ::yes::

buckler
04-14-2006, 11:22 PM
If it is a Visa, Mastercard or Amex gift card you can use the gift card to buy a $25 gift card for a store. For example, I've used one of these credit card type gift cards to buy a Kroger or Publix (grocery store) gift card in the exact amount of the credit card gift card. This way you get the entire amount off the card. If you have already used the card for something you can buy odd dollar amounts for grocery gift cards. You could probably buy gift cards at other places like Target, Walmart etc. The store gift cards can then be used as partial payment.

BethR
04-14-2006, 11:25 PM
If it is a Visa, Mastercard or Amex gift card you can use the gift card to buy a $25 gift card for a store.

Smart idea!!! I will have to remember this tip! :)

Alice's Mom
04-14-2006, 11:28 PM
I know that when we first started receiving Mall Gift Cards in our store for purchases we had a tough time figuring them out. It turns out that if you purchase something for $55 and you have a $20 gift card you have to input there is only $20 being swiped at that moment. If you just swipe it, it will decline.

So when in possession of a Visa GC make sure you know the balance to the penny.

In California Gift Cards can not expire, I have never heard of depriciation on GC's either.

Hope that helps

buckler
04-14-2006, 11:29 PM
One other way to use the credit card gift cards is to make a partial payment on a utility bill. My telephone company, water company and natural gas company will allow you to make several online credit card payments to pay your monthly bill. So, make one $25 payment with the gift card credit card, then pay the balance of the bill with your normal credit card. You would make two seperate payments.

dj2
04-14-2006, 11:43 PM
DW got a gift card at the holidays. She tried to use it the other day and discovered that the rules for the card state that it can not be used for partial payment. The purchase must be equal to or less than the balance on the card. So for this $25 card, the purchase must be exactly $25 or less. If the purchase is $25.01, she can't use the card and pay one penny extra. Of course, this means that it is virtually impossible to totally use the card's value since with tax, nothing is ever exactly $25. Her coworker said she managed to spend the full amount but only by carefully calculating her purchases to total exactly $25. That's insane. Just give cash next time please.

I used to give my staff gift cards each year but I stopped a few years ago due to all the wacky rules, regulations and restrictions. Now they all get cash and I haven't heard any complaints.

if she has a $25 card and her purchases come to $26.50, she just has to pay $1.50 in cash FIRST. then she uses the gift card for exactly $25. the order matters in the partial payment.

very irritating, but that's what you have to do.

-dj

vhoffman
04-15-2006, 01:36 AM
Geeeez................

Do Disney Dollars work the same way? I sure hope not! I just bought $100 of Disney Dollars, $50 each for my kids to spend on our upcoming trip. I bought 10 $10 'dollars'. If they spend less than $10, do they get change? If something costs $10.01, can they just give them the extra penny? I could have just given the kids the cash, but last time I did that they had it spent in the airport gift shop!

cats mom
04-15-2006, 01:37 AM
I just found a GC I purchased about a year ago to give as an end of the year teacher gift, but I went in on a group gift instead, so I tucked the GC away and forgot about it.

They charged me a $2.00 fee to buy the stupid thing in the first place. Then when I checked the balance today I found out that after 6 months of inactivity they started charging a $2.00 maintenance fee every month!

For my initial $27.00 I now have a GC worth $9.00 :furious:

My suggestion: read ALL the rules very carefully.
(of course the rules on mine were in such fine print that I had no hope of ever deciphering them) :rolleyes:

Hey Steve, I think my GC experience trumps your DW's GC experience. ;)

Oops, edited to fix spelling. Darn spelling/grammar rant thread!

buckler
04-15-2006, 02:02 AM
Geeeez................

Do Disney Dollars work the same way? I sure hope not! I just bought $100 of Disney Dollars, $50 each for my kids to spend on our upcoming trip. I bought 10 $10 'dollars'. If they spend less than $10, do they get change? If something costs $10.01, can they just give them the extra penny? I could have just given the kids the cash, but last time I did that they had it spent in the airport gift shop!

Don't worry. If they spend less than $10.00 they will get change in U.S. currency. So if they buy something for $5 and pay with a $10 Disney dollar they will get back a $5 U.S. bill. You can pay for something using both Disney dollars and U.S. currency (ex. $10 in Disney and an extra penny for $10.01). Or to pay for the $10.01 they could give 2 $10 Disney dollars and get back $9.99 in cash.

TallyLassie
04-15-2006, 04:28 AM
I am not a real fan of gift cards for myself. I got one for Christmas from my mother-in-law for Christmas, but it is for a store I don't shop at.

My teenage nieces always ask for them, since they like to pick out their own clothes.

PrincessMommyof2
04-15-2006, 04:49 AM
I can see both sides with GC; they seem impersonal to some but a lifesaver to others. I tend to like GC's because my MIL seems to think that I should wear her style of clothing ( :sad2: ) and wear her type of perfume. I'm not afraid to admit it, if I've received a GC for a store that I don't shop at, I will recycle it to another friend for a gift if he/she shops there. I like the fact that giving someone a GC gives that person the freedom to buy something that they've wanted, but it wasn't in the finances. We were able to buy a digital camera from saved up GC's. My Mom used to loathe GC's, but recently switched and that's all she buys...welcome to the dark side, Mom. :darth:

U Guys Made Me Ink
04-15-2006, 05:46 AM
This reminds me of a comedian's bit on gift cards vs. cash. He was against them and said it's like giving cash in that it can be impersonal and obvious how much was spent but that it can only be used for limited things. "Here's $50, now go and spend it all in one place!" Isn't this exactly opposite of grandma's advice? ... :rolleyes1 (I guess you had to see the comedian do it to be funny, but the point is still valid.)

jeancbpugh
04-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Actually, I read in our newspaper that stores actually LOST money on the gc as they would issue them BEFORE the holidays and then after the holidays is when they were used and consumers got about triple the amount of merchandise, then they would had they used the card PRIOR to XMAS.

This doesn't make sense to me. At least the stores had your money before Christmas. You could have given her cash.

torinsmom
04-15-2006, 08:36 AM
IMO, gift cards are a bit personal. Unless you know the person and what they need at that particular moment, it is a gamble. I have had parents(I'm a teacher) give me gift cards from stores in their town, when it is well known that I live in a town 20 miles away! I've gotten gcs to candle stores, when I don't use candles, and spas, which I don't do either. Usually, if its something I can't use, I will sell it at a discount to another teacher who can. Some people think cash or a check is impersonal, but at least you can spend it anywhere and its always the right size and color, LOL.

Marsha

CarolA
04-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Having had MAJOR problems using Amex gift cards. (Which goes along with Amex's total lack of customer service) I have become a pro. (I get them for work)

For Amex if the total is greater then your gift card give the cashier another form of payment and tell her to post the difference to that payment (cash for example) then put the remainder on your gift card. Bascially it is working like a credit card so if you have a $100 gift card and spend $125 then you are "over your limit" by $25. So just pay the $25 in cash and the remainder on the gift card. Do not try this at Walmart as the cashiers are entirely too poorly trained to figure how to ring up two payment types. (I had THREE cashiers all standing there staring at the register trying to figure this out before I just left!)

anewvance
04-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Our mall used to have paper gc's. If you had a $100 gc, and you spent $20 at a store, you would get $80 in cash back. I am sure they figured they were losing out that way so they moved to the visa gift cards and now they have the stipulations on it. First when buying it you have to pay for the plastic card itself, only a $1 or so but still! And then you can only spend less then what you have on the card. Can't use it toward the purchase of something bigger.. like the op's problem. I have one with $5 left on it but haven't used it because I haven't bought anything for $4 and change yet.

disneysteve
04-15-2006, 09:09 AM
If it is a Visa, Mastercard or Amex gift card you can use the gift card to buy a $25 gift card for a store.
That's a great idea. And the card in question was a mall gift card.

Of course, the flipside of this, another reason I don't like GCs, is that unless you use the above tip, you have to spend more than the gift amount to redeem the card. I don't want to give someone a gift that will cost them money to redeem.

disneysteve
04-15-2006, 09:12 AM
And then you can only spend less then what you have on the card. Can't use it toward the purchase of something bigger.. like the op's problem. I have one with $5 left on it but haven't used it because I haven't bought anything for $4 and change yet.
Yep. That's the exact same situation DW had.

InstImpres
04-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Those tiny Visa Gift Card "leftover amounts" are great for an online Disney payment. Obviously not much of payment but a good way to use them up.

pearlieq
04-15-2006, 09:34 AM
Normally I'm a huge fan of gift cards, but I've never heard of one with rules like that. That's nuts!!!

Otherwise, I love store gc's. It's like getting 2 presents. First I get the actual gift of the card, then I get the fun of going to the store to pick out my present. I wish that all I ever got was gift cards! Of course, all of the ones I get to major stores in the area work just like a cc and either have a 1 year term or no expiration.

HappyCamperToo
04-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Whether one likes the idea of Visa/Amex gift cards or not, back to the original problem--how to use the full value.

You do not have to "lose" a little leftovers. As was stated earlier by dj2 and CarolA, have the cashier apply another form of payment to the total first to bring the total down to the giftcard amount. Then use the card for its complete balance.

And definitely use it up before monthly fees start accumulating. I buy them off my kids, giving them the cash, and use at the grocery store to get them out of the way. Also, that way I can use it all up in one shot and don't have to worry about tracking balances.

Franne
04-15-2006, 10:30 AM
Those tiny Visa Gift Card "leftover amounts" are great for an online Disney payment. Obviously not much of payment but a good way to use them up.

Great idea! I have 4 of them with a little over $1. I was going to throw them away since I had no idea how to use them! Thanks...any little bit helps!

LizinSTL
04-15-2006, 11:14 AM
That's a great idea. And the card in question was a mall gift card.

Of course, the flipside of this, another reason I don't like GCs, is that unless you use the above tip, you have to spend more than the gift amount to redeem the card. I don't want to give someone a gift that will cost them money to redeem.

When you have an amex/visa/mall gift card for a limited amount...$25, $50, etc. Then the "trick" is to go to the store that you plan to spend the money and purchase a STORE gift certificate or card for the full dollar amount of the amex gift card. Then you can use that as payment towards your purchase. Most store gc are able to be used for partial payment.

I had 2 $50 gift cards (one amex, one visa) from test drives last winter. I went to the disney store. Bought $50 in disney dollars each time and then used those as payment for my purchase and saved the rest for our trip in June.

nbodyhome
04-15-2006, 11:35 AM
I really like gift cards, I definitely enjoy receiving them! We get to try restaurants and such that we might not have tried, and it's definitely a low-shipping price way of sending a gift to someone.

Fortunately, most that I've received don't have weird rules, and some do have service fees (which is stupid), but generally at 2 years, not 6 months.

Stacerita
04-15-2006, 11:42 AM
Most gift cards are great. I like to give them and get them in return. But there are some that are a total PITA! I tried using one during the holiday season and I about crawled over the counter to "help" the cashier out. They couldn't figure out how much was on the card. It was large sum to start out with, but I had used a portion of it already. The balance stayed on the card. So when I went back to the mall to use it there were problems. The cashier couldn't ring it up since I didn't know the "exact" amount on it. I told her what it was around. And she said I needed to tell her exactly how much was on it. Said I didn't know, then she told me I needed to go find out and she couldn't ring it up. My purchase was way way less than what was on the card still. I dont see why she couldn't just enter in the price of my purchase and subtract that? I was totatlly irritated by the whole thing. Told her, and her manager so and haven't been back since.

azgal81
04-15-2006, 11:42 AM
I love gift cards! All the ones I have rec'd if I didn't spend the full amount they would either give me the leftover in money or change the balance on the card depending on how much is leftover. Of course I only get them for places I shop! I'll have to remember to stay away from the visa one.

Dznypal
04-15-2006, 11:54 AM
I had a friend give me a TDS GC--since now TDS is has mostly kids stuff (with the expection of a few snowglobes and park tickets )

man I sure miss the old TDS when youd get the feeling like you were at disney!!

anyway I could use that for $DD that way I knew I wouldnt have problems using them!!

also I have one of those mall GC that has a whopping 0.22 cents on it so I will add to it and get 1DD

Im letting the mall get even 0.22!!

iNTeNSeBLue98
04-15-2006, 12:02 PM
I have a Visa gift card that works like that. When I reached the final balance, I gave the cashier the difference over the remaining balance and used the debit card to pay it off.

vhoffman
04-15-2006, 12:10 PM
In general I don't care for giving gift cards/certificates because the receipient knows how much I spent. Usually my gifts are bargains, way below the apparent price. I got teacher gifts for $5 that would retail for around $50!

However, once our minister's wife did me a huge favor. A personal favor, nothing to do with the church. I gave her a $50 AMEX gift card (was a while ago, don't think there were too many rules on it then) as opposed to cash or a check. I knew with cash or a check she'd just donate it to the church, this way, she had no choice but to spend it on herself. She really deserved something for herself for once!

Julia M
04-15-2006, 12:23 PM
I've never had aproblem with gift cards here in CA. Maybe it's because they are not allowed to expire? I'll spend less than the card, and I either get the credit on the card given back, or cash.

Also, many are sold around here as "scrip" (fundraisers for schools and churches). Maybe that helps, too?

I keep a plastic envelope (like a coupon holder) to sort and store gift cards.

I really like them, because it's a nice way to help me save for treats. I buy one $10 Starbucks card every month. I also buy some for local restaurants, so when dh and i want to go out, it's like it's prepaid. I also try and buy a Target gift card every month...it really helped me out for the holidays. I know I could save the cash instead, but I don't.

I still give gifts for dd's friends (often a craft set from Michaels, using a 40% off coupon) and younger ds's (sports stuff, cool toys on sale) but for oldest ds, I only give gift cards. Teenagers are hard!

Of course, you have to be organzied with them, but it works for me.

julia

HappyLawyer
04-15-2006, 12:36 PM
i think it depends on the gift card, ones like wlamart etc do not operate that way, but if you are talking about the ames gift card then i know just what you mean,

iggbees
04-15-2006, 01:08 PM
i've never had a problem with a gift card before and believe you me, i've used a lot of gift cards! the only thing i hated was the amex gift cards, my family decided it would be the best thing for everyone for christmas one year. what a pain, i had to use it before the end of december (because that was the expiration date). luckily, i found something i wanted.

i've never had to only spend the amount of the gift card, i can't believe stores do that, it seems so stupid! you think they'd actually want you to spend more money!

gottaluvdis
04-15-2006, 01:54 PM
The State of New Hampshire is cracking down on Mall gift cards, specifically the Simon Mall Visa cards due specifically to all the rules, fees and expiration dates. The State's AG's office calls these "the cards that keep on taking". There is an ongoing lawsuit against these cards right now. I used to purchase these for my niece and nephew for Christmas that live out of state and have a Simon Mall, but no longer. This year I just wrote them each a good old fashioned check.

That being said, not all gc's are the same. I purchase restaurant gc's for my in-laws and check very carefully any terms or conditions. The Red Lobster one did have an expiration date, but they used it in plenty of time. I think the individual store issued cards (Target, Wal-Mart) etc. are generally better than the Visa, Amex etc. cards, but I've given up on them in general. My employer offered us cash (check) or a gift card for Christmas this year and it was pretty much a no-brainer for me!

ceecee
04-15-2006, 02:12 PM
We use gift cards all the time and have never had that happen. Once with Red Lobster they started subtracting $2.50 a month after a year. I believe TRU do that as well. We always use our Target gift cards for "snacks" icees and popcorn.

disneychrista
04-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Can amounts be added to the card? So if know the purchase will be $32.46, you could add the $7.46 so the card could be used in full?

dunningdisney
04-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Illinois actually has a law against gift cards subtracting fees. I was given one for Mario Tricoci and when I went to use it there was a zero balance. They took fees out every month until it was gone! I did some research and found out that if they do this in Illinois that they must show it as unclaimed property after five years. It is much easier for them to honor it now if you call to complain. I was told they will honor it, but actually haven't cashed it in yet. I hope this helps someone.

Chris
04-15-2006, 04:47 PM
That's odd! I've always used gift cards and can pay the amount over whatever the gift card is.

What kind of GC??

kydisneyfans
04-15-2006, 10:19 PM
We received $20.00 Visa gift cards that worked that way-our son tried to buy a 19.99 video game-tax made it 21 and change. The card would not work since we went over the 20.00-most gift cards would take the 20 off, and we would pay the difference in cash-Not Visa.

We gave the 20.00 to our son in cash and used the Visa card to put 20.00 in gas in the tank. We drove away happy with a 1/4 tank of gas. :guilty:

LdyFaile
04-16-2006, 01:17 AM
Hmm don't really know if I have anything to add to this little discussion.

I can see both sides of the gc issue (love 'em and hate 'em).

I love getting my 'Christmas Bonus' from work in the form of a Costco gc. It means that I can go to Costco at least a couple of times without having to have a membership. I don't go often anyway because it's too far away and I have a tiny food budget. But it's fun to buy movies and books and just to wander and see what's available now and again.

On the other hand I can see where in some cases it can be rather impersonal. Especially if it's for a store or product you either don't have easy access to or care for.

I remember getting a $5 gc from my phone company for signing up for service but I could never get it to work anywhere. Wonder if that was cuz I wasn't buying things that were just $5. Hmmm.

It's just like everything else out there...read the fine print.

staceyfe
04-16-2006, 09:20 AM
That must of been a visa gift card not a specific store. Those visa gift cards you can buy at the bank are terrible. They are impossible to use the full amount. Visa is making a killing on them!

Haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this is a double post. In the past, I have used the visa gift card to pay for gasoline. No problem spending an exact $25 at the gas station!!! Then, I'll take the $$ I would have spent at the gas station to use at the store of my choice.

gdulaney
04-17-2006, 07:58 AM
I have a second (PT) job in a mall store... this is what I learned about GCs... our registers are set up that you can enter the amount the person wants to put on a specific type of pmt (eg credit card, gift card, cash, check) OR if you don't type in an amt, the register assumes that the full amount is being paid by whatever type you choose.

So -- if your purchase is 27.15 and you want to put 25.00 on a GC, we are supposed to type in 25.00, which leaves you a balance of 2.15...that can be paid however. We don't have to do it in any specific order.

I have alot of folks that use multiple gift cards and since I found out how to key them...I've not had any problems. In fact, some folks don't keep up with the card balance...and there have been times when I've started at an amt and worked down until we find an amt that is authorized.

I'm not sure if other registers are the same...but maybe this will help you to use your card. :)

Ginny

gdulaney
04-17-2006, 08:05 AM

I did something similiar...I had several that I used on the Disney ship to pay toward our shipboard account. All were under $10, but added together they probably paid for a yummy frothy drink.

Ginny