PDA

View Full Version : I'm back, now what

DVCkidsMOM
04-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Please help: Was too tired to visit much since joining WISH, but thyroid meds have made me human again though not exactly energetic. I haven't lost weight, but have cut out sodas and nearly all caffeine. So now that I eat mostly whole foods, organic when possible, and drink mostly water and herbal tea; what do I do now that I want to lose some weight through small steps in lifestyle changes. I know "diets" don't work for me long term - trust me! :blush:
SO anyone out there having weight loss success without a special diet? Success while hypothyroid, homeschooling, no access to gym? I really need encouragement because it just doesn't seem worth the effort. :confused3
See also my post under flat tummy thread...
TIA for anything that might give me hope and help me find some self motivation.

TammyNC
04-12-2006, 07:21 AM
I can't say that I have any advice in helping develope a healthy eating plan to lose weight with your thyroid problem. I wonder if seeing a dietician or nutritionist could help give you some insight on these things? I would also check into getting this started through your doctor so hopefully insurance would pay a portion.

I do homeschool and understand how difficult it can be to fit in exercising, etc. while trying to teach your children. I have found that I just have to stay out of the kitchen when I can feel my hunger getting out of hand. I will keep a bottle of water with me and I keep a healthy snack with me if we are going to be out and about.

You don't need a gym to get some exercise, it can start out even so small as upping your play time with the kids, playing some basketball with them or jumping on the trampoline. When you go to a store, park as far away as you can to get a little more walking in. You could also check out some videos or DVDs from the library to do some home exercises that you could also use with the kids. I know I have to make an effort to make sure the kids are staying active each day.

Keep us posted on how you are doing. It is worth the effort because you are getting healthy to be around longer for your children.

ohMom
04-12-2006, 07:43 AM
:hug: Linda but then again a BIG :cheer2: :cheer2: for the changes you have already made the norm in your life! the eating part is the hardest for me and i salute you!

anyhow -- are you :drinking1 :drinking1 your water everyday?? really it's so simple but sooo important especially for weight loss

tammy gave you some great ideas, if you check out DVDs at the library may i suggest trying Leslie Sanson's Walk Away the Pounds -- you can start with the one mile that takes just about 15 mins to do.

try not to overwhelm yourself, you are doing great! keep up the changes, little by little as you become comfortable with each one and before you know it they will all be routine!

if you need some encouragement check out some of the monthly challenges -- they are a great source of accountability and motivation for me :teeth:

DVCkidsMOM
04-12-2006, 09:26 AM
This is the good/bad part - I'm already somewhat active, so I need to take it up a notch and finding the time is tough. I want to dance exercise and know there are videos out there. I'm going to email Orisis Risi of Epcot fame for their recommendation and I'm starting to "Dance Praise" with the kids for DDR style exercise. We went bike-riding Monday and will again later this morning after school. Mall walked 4 miles yesterday, as each Tuesday, at a sweaty but talking pace. Usually do the Leslie 3 mile video Fridays with others at a church. Guess I'm going to have to add strength/muscle work and a few more glasses of water. Thanks for such uplifting emails :cool1: