PDA

View Full Version : Wk of Apr 9--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera
04-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. Some of us are training for the 2006 Disneyland Half and for the 2007 WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news/training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=725285)
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
http://www.irongirl.com
http://www.marathonguide.com
http://www.marathonwalking.com
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com
http://acefitness.com/getfit/freeexercise.aspx
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Race Etiquette with Miss Road Manners (http://www.rrca.org/publicat/missrm.htm)

Pacing Calculator (http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm)

Good training everyone!

chimera
04-09-2006, 04:19 PM
Screen Name IRL Location

akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
Andrea718 Andrea NY
andromedaslove Dana FL
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
budbeerlady
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
Cheryl N. WI Cheryl WI
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cingoutload GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
debm IL
DianeL Diane
DisneyGirl Marissa
disnygoof Christiana SC
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
gradtchr Beth TX
hmgolden Helen NY
Hockeychic Kim CA
hockeygirl Laura NY
Honeibee Judy NY
icunurse_celeste Celeste IL
Jen117 Jen WI
Jodi Jodi CT
jodistar Jodi CT
k_hase Kim NY
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
keenercam Carmella DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KeriZ Keri CA
Kim10110 Kim
Kimickey Kim MD
Kimwim8 Kim NJ
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
lizdotcom99 Liz IN
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minnie Suzy
monte Monica CO
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
msblrobs Sara NY
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom OH
Papa Deuce PA
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
princessmomma Colleen NC
RunningLilo Dena FL
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
ScoJo15 Scott GA
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
Stenogoddess Lauren GA
stitch lover sith Erin
TammyNC Tammy NC
TEK224 Terri PA
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
TnTsParty FL
TXBelle Heather TX
Wbgirl Melissa MN
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
wfloyd Bill FL
wiskband Renee NY
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME

plutosmyfav
04-09-2006, 04:44 PM
Hello,

I got my 10 in yesterday as 2 and 8. I did 2 with Paul getting him ready for our 5K in May. Then I did 8 at the track. My avg pace was 9:51 but I had a couple of really great splits: mile 3 = 8:10, mile 5=8:15 and mile 7 was 8:45. I was psyched. I haven't done any fast running since TM speed work early Feb. The weather is great. I did 90 minutes strength training today. I'm signed up for my first spinning class tomorrow. WISH me luck ;)

Sunny

andromedaslove
04-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Well, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who listened to my whining last night!! It was a very rough night, but I finally got to take my codeine laced cough medicine around 11 and go to bed!! The Codeine gave me a headache, but that's much better than all the coughing I had been doing. I was able to sleep all the way through the night, and even slept on my back and my left side which I haven't been able to do for weeks without having a coughing fit!! Today I feel so much better, hardly any coughing at all, and I can breathe much better. The only problem I have had is the Antibiotic, if I don't eat when I take it I get very nauseous, but other than that things are great. At this rate I should be feeling really good tomorrow, and might even get a couple mile wog in!! I'll let you guys know tomorrow. :teeth:

Terri - I am so glad that you weren't seriously hurt, but I know that probably isn't much consolation when you car has been mangled. :grouphug:

Dena - I know mine wasn't from overtraining... mine is a bug that everyone in my family has gotten. DMIL and DFIL went to Solantic today to get antibiotics to help them get better too.

Sunny - WOW 10 miles!! I can't wait until I get that kind of distance in!!

Take Care,
Dana

Kristi1357
04-09-2006, 04:53 PM
Hello,

I got my 10 in yesterday as 2 and 8. I did 2 with Paul getting him ready for our 5K in May. Then I did 8 at the track. My avg pace was 9:51 but I had a couple of really great splits: mile 3 = 8:10, mile 5=8:15 and mile 7 was 8:45. I was psyched. I haven't done any fast running since TM speed work early Feb. The weather is great. I did 90 minutes strength training today. I'm signed up for my first spinning class tomorrow. WISH me luck ;)

Sunny

Awesome, Sunny!

Lynnda - Cool! We can have our own little cheering section at the DL half! Our DS will be 3 in June, but we are leaving him home with mom and sis for this trip! :teeth:

Terri - pixiedust: for you & your car.

Dena - you should be proud - heck, you BETTER be proud! :woohoo:

Dana - glad you are finally able to sleep. I know what you mean about not being able to lay down without having a coughing fit. It stinks!

I was scheduled to do 50 mins. crosstraining today, so I did my 4 mile Leslie Sansone WATP DVD (60 mins). I am so tired now. I think it is leftover tiredness from yesterday's 6 miler also.

And can anyone tell me why can't DH leave me alone when I am exercising? He is always talking to me, commenting, etc. It drives me insane! No matter what I am doing exercise-wise, I like to do it alone. I guess it's "my time." I have asked him to stop (yes, nicely at first). He knows this irritates me from when we used to go to the gym together years ago. Argh! Now he is walking around here calling me crabby and making me more crazy.

TiffJ
04-09-2006, 05:12 PM
I did my 8 miler today. Can you say HELLOOOO - TAPER :thumbsup2 I wasnt thrilled with the pace. 14:17 but I guess it could have been worse. I dont know why I couldnt go faster I did a lot better on my 7 miles the week before. :confused3

Kristi- I know what you mean about being left alone while exercising. If I do the WATP with anyone home they drive me nuts. DH has finally learned to tell the kids "leave mommy alone till she gets done" but sometimes he also suggests that I take them to the track while I do my wog. First of all, I never wog at the track, 2nd of all I'm a SAHM & I've had more than my share of time with them, I need MY exercise time. 3rd of all there is no way I can have a good pace & make sure they stay out of the road. I do most of my training with everyone at work & school. (p.s. I'm leaving kids & DH at home for the DL 1/2 :rolleyes1 )

Dana-glad you're feeling better!!

Terri-so sorry about you're wreak , but I'm glad you're o.k. That's the important thing.

Mel-how was your weekend at WDW?

Sunny- 10 miles & 90 min of ST? Are you going for Ms. Olympian this year :teeth: Awesome job on the pace!!

Count with me girls...........the Minnie is 4 weeks from today!

icunurse_celeste
04-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Hello everyone! Just wanted to say hi. I just finished reading last week and am I a blur as to where to start:
how about: :wizard: for injuries whither to person or car and :banana: for everyone doing an awesome job at training.
I'll be one more person to say that the socks look great! Good job Dave.

I am going to go the Salt Lake to walk their half marathon in June and I am super excited- although I am concerned about the altitude and my asthma.

Good luck to everyone training for Minnie!

I am considering going back on weight watchers- anyone have any good suggestions for threads on the Dis?

jodistar
04-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am so very glad to say that I have gone out today with my Garmin - I ran a 5k and did it in 31.57 - A little bit more time off of my last 5k which was 35.04. I'm so happy, I was a little scared that something was going to happen to me again (thank god - it didn't). Ankle felt great and now that I did so well.....I glad to have had the opportunity to rest.

Still have to check on everyone's posts.

Jodi

Jen117
04-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Hey everyone. I haven't posted in since mid last week. I have been so busy and just not time. Plus I have tried catching up here twice today and both times DD5 kicked me off to play on barbie.com. GIRLS!!!

I did my 3 miles yesterday in 43 minutes. I wasn't thrilled with the time, but then remembered that I am the beginner here, and you have to start somewhere. I was going to do cross training today, but in laws came over so I ended up going outside and raking the yard for 2 hours. We have a lot of trees and the winter made yard and left over leaves very matted to the ground. I didn't even get the whole yard done.

DENA - I am so proud of you. I still have about 50 pounds to lose. I did so well after my first daughter, but not so well after the 2nd. She will be 3 this month. This is one of the reasons I am jogging...1)because I have always wanted to run the WDW 1/2 marathon and 2)because I need something to help me lose the extra weight!!

SUNNY - You are like a super woman. Your regimine amazes me.

KRISTI - No one leaves me alone when I exercise either. I fell off the back of the treadmill once because the kids were driving me insane and I had to yell at them. Don't worry, I was not injured just embarrassed.

Have a great week everyone!

chimera
04-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Mel-how was your weekend at WDW?

Not good, I'm afraid. We were in the Contemporary last night, watching Wishes, then headed to the escalator to the monorail after it was over to go back to TTC. One woman and her friends were race walking to try and beat us to the escalator. The one woman ended up getting between us and the girls, who got on the escalator ahead of us. DD3 fell backward onto the stairs. I was behind DH, who was behind the woman who wouldn't move. I was literally screaming "Get her, Get her!" when the woman finally got out of the way. DH got to her first and picked her up. She was scared but okay. When we got to the monorail platform, the woman was telling her friends all about how the little girl fell and she didn't want to touch her. Apparently, she didn't feel the need to get out of the way so we could help her either :furious: I'm sure those of you that are parents understand the mother lion transformation that occurs when one of your kids gets hurt. DH told me it wasn't worth it and to leave it alone.

And DH told me Sat there's bad juju at his office. He said on Fri before we left that it wasn't a good day, so I just thought, good we're going to WDW to shake off the bad stuff. Apparently, much worse than that...rumors of people losing their jobs and such. He got called back from the conference he was supposed to attend then had to go to Tampa to reset some servers that crashed. I've been home eating since he left and doing math to see how long we could get by on my salary alone. It's either eat or cry and since the kids are up and I need to be with them, I've chosen to eat. Hope we spent enough calories this weekend to compensate.

DD13 and I did our 6 miles yesterday morning...4 times around BW and twice to MGM and back. It was pretty cool, but our pace wasn't great...13:57. 13 yo are interesting training partners. They run really fast until they get tired, then they walk for awhile, then they run while playing air guitar, then walk for awhile, then run and skip, etc...

Sorry to dump or vent...just feeling a bit out of control.

gradtchr
04-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Mel-My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

That lady makes me want to :furious: too. Escalators terrify me though and I am now at the point I avoid them if at all possible. I was out shopping with my SIL a couple of years ago and we were on a fairly full escalator when a childs untied shoe lace got caught at the bottom and they couldn't get him out of it, and people were piling up on the escalator. SIL and I were wondering if we were going to get trampled. Not a fun experience at all and after that I seriously can't comprehend someone who would not want to help a child who fell, got stuck, etc..... I am so glad she is ok!!

MouseDogMom
04-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Mel - So sorry you had such a rough weekend. I totally understand the mother lion thing - I'm completely amazed by that other person in me who comes out when my kid is hurt, either physically or emotionally. Hope DH's job turns out okay, but I'm doing the sole breadwinner thing right now and I know the stress it causes. The only reason we can swing WDW for the Minnie is that I got money from my mom's estate!

Jodi - Glad your ankle is better.

Terri - Hope everything comes out okay with the car. Glad you're okay! And I think you made the right decision with DL...

I didn't try to run today - it was really windy and cool, so I decided to wait till tomorrow to get back out there. That will give me a full 7 days off, so if the tendon can't handle that, tough!

Jackie

MelRhoads
04-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Mel - so sorry about all of the stuff going on! I would have totally flipped out about the WDW exp. I can imagine that momma bear would have been out in full force!!

Sunny - glad you are enjoying running again!

Jodi - great job on your 5k

Kristi - That is great that you had a swelling breakthough

Sorry to everyone with illnesses and accidents.

Lynn - thanks for the encouragement!

I have decided not to do the 50 miler. I'm thinking that even if i succeed, i would be miserable. I want something to look forward to though, so I'm signing up for a brutal off road tri in june.

I did a 8.5 mile trail run today and did some map reading as well. It was really fun. My pace was much better than the pace on the 4.5 thursday. I averaged just over 12mpm which is good for me on singletrack trail. I did about 250 meters of climbing. I at least have a little more confidence back after the total looser of a run on thursday!

kareneast
04-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Hi All,

Well, I've missed the last 2 weeks of posts so I have a lot of catching up to try & do. Things have just been kind of crazy. The good thing though is I still managed to get in the steps. I have a bunch of friends that wanted to walk and/or run with me, so we've been meeting at the High School track a couple of times a week. It has been a lot of fun being outside instead of just the TM & being out there with friends.

This week I will be out of town so I don't know if or how often I will be able to check in. DH has to go to Las Vegas for a conference for work. I am going with him since we only have to pay for my airfare. :banana: I am bringing my running gear with me and plan on going out for some walk/runs and using the fitness center in the hotel.

DS(19) & I are officially signed up for the WDW 1/2. :woohoo: No turning back now. :rotfl:

I am going to go try & catch up on how everyone has been doing the last 2 weeks.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. :wave:

solotraveler
04-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Gosh, you get busy for a couple of days and look what you miss.

Mel-- So sorry about how rough things have been lately. Here's a little :wizard: for things to get better.

Jen-- Your time sounds just fine to me! Keep up the good work!

Jodi-- Fantastic 5K time!!

Tiff-- Sounds like your pace is just fine. If things felt tough this week, it's probably because, like you said, you did so well last week. The taper should help a lot with that.

Sunny-- Well look who's speedy now!! ;)

I got moving again today and did my 4 miler in 35:29 or 8:52/mile pace; while running 5/1 splits. It actually felt good to push it a bit more than I have lately. I sure hope that momentum continues into this weeks workouts...

Kevin (Solotraveler) :earsboy:

xterratri
04-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Mel/chimera- there is just no understanding some people. Glad to hear wild tod is okay though. PD for DH's job.

MelR- that's too bad about the 50 miler but you have to make the decision that's right for your life at this time.

Jody- nice time drop

Sunny- excellent splits! can you send some slighty warmer weather a little further north, please?

Kevin- sub 9s, you're still speedy both in the water and out

Tiffj- congrats to your son on his first triathlon! better watch out, he's going to want a lighter speedier bike soon ;)

Celeste- have fun doing your 1/2 in Salt Lake

Had a great run today. 8.03 miles in 1:15.05 or a 9:21 pace. The run segment pace was an even 9:00/mile. The first 3 were over 9 and the next 5 were under 9 min/mile. This is pretty speedy for me no matter what the extenuating circumstances are but... this was started minutes after finishing a 40.72 mile bike ride. Endurance pace easy(we averaged 16.5 mph but my HR was at the low end of Zone 1), I also rode over 30 miles w/ 15 miles of tempo yesterday. Being able to run pretty well(for me) off the bike really encourages me for the upcoming triathlon race season. 3 weeks until my first race- St Anthony's in St Petersburg FL.

TiffJ or Lynnda asked how long I've been doing triathlons- at least since 1997 and I think I actually may have done my first in 1996. I did take 2000 completely off rehabbing my knee from the 3rd surgery and 2004 was pretty much a wash due to lack of motivation from starting med school making my drop out of my main race.

PD for the injuries and life stuff.
Have a great week training everyone.
Lynne

icunurse_celeste
04-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Mel- sorry to hear about your little one. I would have atleast said something not suitable for Disney, so I was impressed with your restraint. To ward off the bad ju-ju, you could do what they do on Grey's anatomy and drink hot chocolate....maybe that will work? (I don't know why I like that show, so not true to real hosptial life- but darn, Patrick Dempsey is nice to watch for an hour)

TRI from ME- I L-O-V-E, love Maine! Tri's since 1996-what did you start when you were in your teens? Hope med school is going well- any tips on learning (and remembering) the functionality of action potentials, neurotransmitters, and such?

I have to laugh at everyone who says their pace is slow!!! My pace right now is 15 MPH and that is 5 minutes per hour faster than it was in January- after recovering from my knee injury. But alas, I am a walker, not a runner. I am working on doing those running-walking reps....we'll see what happens.

Hope everyone has a great Monday! NO BAD JU-JU ALLOWED! :stir: There it's gone.

TnTsParty
04-09-2006, 10:33 PM
quote: TnTsparty - Awasome effort in the 5k!!! Does your TAG come from being a TnT member? I am an alumni from the 2006 WDW marathon with TnT.

No my name doesn't have anything to do with being a TnT member. It actually came from a business attempt me and my sister did (we were independent consultants with a company called 1-800-Partyshop and we are Tammy and Tricia (that is me) and so we were TnT's Party.

I didn't do anything today but I can sure feel it in my legs from yesterday. I might go out tomorrow AM depending on how I feel.

Mel - PD on your DH's job. I know the feeling - PD for the best!!

Everyone else - congrats on getting in long runs (wow we had alot of people who seemed to do 8 miles. Congrats!!

Maherae
04-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Helllooooo everyone :wave:

Mel, I sure hope things work out for DH! Your restraint is admirable!! :duck:
Tricia, great job on your 5K!!! :thumbsup2
Lynne, I really enjoy reading about yours amd MelR's tri's. Just awesome!! :worship:
Kevin, Good job on getting out there! I know there were other things trying to pull you away!! May the momentum continue!! :cheer2:
Dana, Let the medicine work!! Don't push it just because you feel better, kiddo!! Give your body a little time to recoup!! :rolleyes2
Karen, Have fun in Vegas. Just remember to run/walk in the morning!!!

This is a sad story of two attempts at 10 miles :sad: . Last Friday, DH decided to donate blood. He got picked to donate "packed cells"(all you medical people please understand if I explain this wrong) which meant that they took 2 pints out, separated out the red blood cells and put the rest back in. Saturday morning he gets to sleep in (no kids at home..), so we don't get started until 11 with the temp at 85. Needless to say, by mile two he was hurting. Problem was he had trained me to leave him so he could jog part of the time. So, I am merrily (well, not really..it was HOT!!), walking along and when I don't see him, just think that he has gone off on a side street. At mile 4 we finally meet and I know he's in trouble. I'm the one that carries the water, too! I threatened to stop the next pick up truck that came by to give us a ride home, but he said no way would he ride. Stubborn man!! Fortunately, it was just 2 miles straight back to our house. Got fluids in him and he's fine.

This Saturday we get out the door by 9:30 (Yea!!) and it is overcast with a breeze. Oh, this is going to be a great walk! :cool1: Uh oh, sprinkles at mile 3. Downpours at 3.5! :umbrella: I think of all of you who walk in the cold and snow :cold: (Masked Sunny came to mind)...We decide this is just a cloud burst and will pass. Hey, you know, it could rain at DL or WDW!! Sure enough, 10 minutes later, it's over. Then back, then over, then back...No lightening, so I am determined to keep on. By mile 5, it doesn't stop, the lightening starts, and when we go uphill we are slogging through a river coming downhill! Fortunately, again, we are at a shortcut to the house and 1.2 miles later, we're there. So, basically, I got a 10K in which is the Crescent City Classic next week (see ya there, Claire!)

Garmin held up fine, but I think there was a glitch somewhere. It says I did a 14:15 mile at mile 4!! Well, I did take some GU then...hmmmmm. :drinking1 AND it said my average pace was 15 ON THE NOSE!!! ::MinnieMo here I come!! Now, see, Celeste..I'm THRILLED with that number!!

pixiedust: pixiedust: for all. May this be an injury free week!!

AmyBeth68
04-10-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi everyone....just popping in quickly. The girls play went wonderfully...but I am relieved it is now over. What a long week! We leave in an hour to head to the airport, we're off to Arizona. Can't wait to run while I'm there....all my running gear is packed :thumbsup2 .

Yesterday I did my first 4 miler in 43:00. I'm pretty happy with that pace and the run was enjoyable!

Mel: Boy...you restrained yourself well. So glad your little one is ok!!!! Pixie Dust to you....sounds like a rough few days. :grouphug:

TnTsparty: Great Job on your 5K!!!

Jackie: Pixie Dust for your tendon!!! Sure hope it's all healed up so you can get back out there. But if it still hurts...please keep resting it!

Jody: WTG on your 5K run with the Garmin! Can't wait to get mine...I'm ordering it when we get back from AZ!!!

Have a great week everyone...I won't be able to check in from the road. But I'll run with my camera so I can post a pic when I get back :).

plutosmyfav
04-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Mel-- I'm so sorry to hear of your bad experience at WDW and DH's job insecurity. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: That it all works out. When you first offered him as technical help my task was far from IT (DSP embedded programming) but now I am doing an interim delivery which will have applications talking to each other via sockets. I'm getting a crash course in TCP/IP socket comm. I really didn't sign on for all of this :rolleyes:

MelR-- I'm glad you have made your deicsion. I'm sure part of you is disappointed, but part must be relieved to have the resolve. With your wild race schedule you'll completely forget about the 50m in a few months!

Goofyguy-- Thanks for posting about your first tri. I'm expecting to be in the last 10 percentile on mine. When I signed on I was thinking sprint=short distances, I guess I didn't stop to think sprint also means fast.

Kevin (aka Speedy)-- when you say 5/1 you mean 5 min run, 1 min walk? You must be cruising during your run segments. I know I need a better race stategy to optimize my speed. My training indicates I should be faster on the course. I'm starting to do walk intervals now, too.

Celeste-- pace is relative :) you're pace is awsome! You're making huge improvements :cheer2:

Jodi-- great improvement on your second 5K :cheer2: Your training is paying off :goodvibes

Lynn-- how do you practice running off the bike? Not that I'm even considering it...

Did everyone get the Sierra Trading Post catalog in the mail? Kyano's for $89 plus 20% off if you use the keycode. Plus a bunch of other cool stuff. I might get a tri outfit so I don't have to throw on shorts after the swim. Oh, I'm understanding that tri is another wonderful free sport? ;) :lmao:

Cam-- I'm working on a new playlist that will blow you away :cloud9: I haven't perfected it yet, but I think of you on many of the songs.

Terri-- My Rav4 has a black eye from a "misunderstanding" at Lahey Clinic last Wednesday. No one was hurt but it was not fun. Sorry to hear of your accident.

Well I guess I'm out of colors, so I'll catch the rest of y'as next time ;) :sunny:

Spinning in T-3h :woohoo: I'm going to die. I'm a bit wobbly from 90 minutes of weights yesterday.

Sunny

aladdinsgirl
04-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Good morning!! :sunny: I have some good news and some not so good news. I'll start with the good news first: I signed up for the WDW full marathon last night!!! party: :scared: :scared: I told Stephen that I felt like I was going to throw up, I believe that's the exact thing I told him after I signed up for the half last May. :teeth:

And the not so good news: I think I'm going to have to walk the Pig because my knee is still pretty messed up and I made it even worse yesterday. :guilty: I was scheduled to walk 9 miles yesterday, I started out and it's a beautiful day, I thought to myself, I haven't run in 2 weeks, so I'm going to try now. Famous last words. I started out r3/w2 and I made it 4 miles with zero pain, but all of a sudden my knee started hurting SO bad, so I continued to walk my remaining 5 miles. Let's just say that by the time I walked the 9 miles, I was limping because my knee hurt so bad. Stephen was :furious: :furious: with me for rushing things and hurting myself again, but don't blame me, blame the sunshine and Kid Rock. :teeth: I've accepted the fact that I'm walking the Flying Pig and I'm okay with it, I just wish I could get someone to walk with me. Other than my knee blowing up, I had a good run/walk--I finished 9 miles in 2:02:56.

Oh, and here's something funny. Stephen asked me if I wanted to a tri with him in June. :lmao: :lmao: It's canoeing 4 miles or 2, I forget--I have NEVER canoed before, running 6--I can handle that, and biking 18--I haven't been on a bike since the summer before my freshmen year of high school!! I told him thanks, but no thanks.

Mel-- :hug: I'm sorry that you had such a tough weekend!! I don't know how you kept your cool with that lady. And why wouldn't she help the Wild Todd? I'm sorry (well, not really) but if I see a kid that is hurt or has fallen, I'm going to help them--that's ridiculous and makes me mad!! :furious: Have you heard anymore about DH's job? I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Maggie--I think you definitely need running shoes. I overpronate really bad and I wear New Balance 856's. I absolutely love them, I'm on my second pair and I haven't had any problems. Good luck finding shoes that work for you.

Terri-- :hug: I am so sorry about your car accident. How are you feeling today? I was in a very minor car accident 4 years ago and I was sore for a couple of days, I can't imagine how sore you would be being in a major accident. I COMPLETELY understand your Eagles dilemma, that is a hard one! With that said, I would do the DL half and then rush to find someplace to watch the game. We had that problem with the Steelers during marathon weekend, thankfully they got the Sunday game at 4:00, but Stephen and I were going crazy making back-up plans.

Tiff--I skimmed last weeks posts (dangerous, I know), so maybe I missed it, but how was your son's tri?

Jodi--Yes, I did the MfM plan for the half and I felt completely prepared for the marathon. I plan on using the MfM plan for the full as well. Are you going to work in some back to back runs to prepare for Goofy?

Minnie--I'm sorry about your May trip, May is my favorite time to go to WDW. Stephen and I might be in the same boat, we are going May 11-16, pending on the Delta pilot's strike.

Melissa--I'm sorry that you can't do your 50-miler, but I think you made the right decision. Great job on your run!

I think I've ignored my work long enough, I'm sure I'll be back later to talk!!

Minnie
04-10-2006, 09:23 AM
[QUOTE=plutosmyfav]

Did everyone get the Sierra Trading Post catalog in the mail? Kyano's for $89 plus 20% off if you use the keycode. Plus a bunch of other cool stuff. I might get a tri outfit so I don't have to throw on shorts after the swim. Oh, I'm understanding that tri is another wonderful free sport? ;) :lmao: QUOTE]

Sunny - Have you ever ordered from them before? I just went online and they have the Kayano's right there. I didn't get the catalog but is it possible to use a keycode online and can it be shared????

Thank you for pointing this out. Exactly what I have been wanting and at a real savings!

goingthedistance
04-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Greetings everyone, hope all is well.

This weekend I did 12 miles Saturday as my last long run before my upcoming marathon on the 22nd. On Sunday I went out and ran in a local 5k race. My 5k time was 27:46 (new PR) and good enough for 2nd in my age group! :banana: My wife took 2nd in her age group too :cheer2: (but I don't quite remember her time). The running bug is contagious, because now my brother is running too and he finished his first 5k in the same race. :thumbsup2

Happy training everyone!

Paul

wtpclc
04-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Krista - Sorry about the pig! :(

mel - So sorry about the stress at dh's work. Scott went through that about 2 years agao. We went 14 months thinking he'd be out of a job and he miraculously got to keep it. It was a rough time, but at least we didn't have to worry about kids. I'll be praying that all will work out for you! :hug: And where are teh escalator witches,. I'll take care of 'em fo ryou!

Terri - SO sorry about the accident!

Amy - Glad teh play went well!

Cam - Hope teh weekend went well!

Lynne - Love the quote!!!! Yes, need to engrain that in my brain.

To those that comments on my 40 miles in 40 minutes. Ooops, yup, I meant 4 miles in 40 minutes. Shouldn't I be faster now. Then again, I know I'm not in it fo rteh speed.

I'm sorry, I was awakened with a 5:15 call this am to find out my FIL is in the hospital. As of 10, they still did not know what was wrong, although they had more guesses. The area they live in has teh world's worst hospitals. It drives me nuts that he's in their care, or lack of, right now. ANyway, any pratyers or good thoughts you could send his way or the doctors, I would appreciate it. As much as I complain about the ILs, they're good people and he, especially, does not deserve all teh health issues he's had lately.

Sorry to be a downer, and sorry to all I've missed. My heart's just not here this am.

plutosmyfav
04-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Oh, and here's something funny. Stephen asked me if I wanted to a tri with him in June. :lmao: :lmao: It's canoeing 4 miles or 2, I forget--I have NEVER canoed before, running 6--I can handle that, and biking 18--I haven't been on a bike since the summer before my freshmen year of high school!! I told him thanks, but no thanks.

Krista you baby!!!! ;) I haven't been on a bike since I was 19 years old, and given our age difference that's A LOT longer than you!!!!!! I'm so happy you signed up for the full. You're going to love it.

Minnnie-- yes I've order from them several times. I've never had any trouble. My catalog is at home. I'll try to remember to post the key. It may not work because it also comes with a customer number and I can't share that! There's also a pretty close deadlilne (I forget)

Paul-- awsome times! Good luck on your marathon. We'll want a full report :goodvibes

OK, spinning is now T-35 minutes...

Sunny

ScoJo15
04-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Hello everyone!!

Completed my fastest 3m ever on Sunday....did it in 30:19 with my first mile coming in at 9:08!! I did a 10r/2w interval that really seemed to fit my needs. I was never totally winded but the pace really pushed me along. I was so excited that I went and checked out the course for Saturday's 5k....

...and the excitement instantly faded....

the course looked like the latest rollercoaster layout!! I'm in serious trouble now as I have not ran hills like I should have over the past couple weeks. I guess it's time to find out what I'm made of this week!! I'm going to run each hill in my normal 3 mile run and see how I feel. I'd like to maintain that 10r/2w pace for the race, but we'll see how it goes this week.

Can't tell you how nervous/anxious/excited I am about the upcoming race!!

Hope everyone gets a great start to the week today!

Later...

solotraveler
04-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Good morning!

Carrie-- :grouphug: :grouphug: Praying that everything turns out OK.

Scott-- Yep, sounds like gut-check time. If you will be starting to incorporate some hills, make sure that you are running both up them and down them. Two totally different experiences. During this years WDW Marathon, toward the end of the race, it felt like the downhills were significantly tougher than the uphills. (At least for me..)

Paul-- Great job on the PR! (and your wife, too!!)

Krista-- I had to LOL at "I felt like I was going to throw up." :teeth: Hope your knee feels better soon.

Sunny-- Yes, 5 minutes run/1 minute walk yesterday. I am really trying to make a concerted effort to run longer intervals right now, since I was stuck in the 3 run/2 walk and 4 run/1 walk all last fall (and now). I did the MFM run/walk program for WDW and that worked great for me. The intervals really helped in improving my fitness. For the 5/1 intervals, I certainly slow down during my running as compared to the 3/2's; but I am hoping it will help my conditioning in the long run. (Pun intended.)

Today is a crosstraining day-- cardio and weights. I woke up this morning with some stiffness in my lower back. Not quite sure where that came from, but it's not too bad.

Happy training all!

plutosmyfav
04-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Carrie :grouphug: Your post must have appeared while I was posting mine. I'm so sorry for your FIL.

I survived spinning! :banana: Actually, it was great! I'll be back for more of that torture for sure! :thumbsup2

Sunny

MelRhoads
04-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Krista - that sounds like an adventure race w/o the navigation! Cool. You have got to do it! Sorry about your knee, but wtg on not giving up and participating in the race in a safe way anyway!! Your stick w/it "ness" is great.

Sunny - Ok, I lifted again today (I was about 1 million yrs. since i did it last.) I'm going to try to lift and stretch on mon and wed. to get stronger and faster. I'm just horrible at it, i have no idea what i am doing!

crzy4pooh
04-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Sorry I can't check in with everyone right now - I will try to get back on tonight and catch up! I just wanted to give a quick training update. Yesterday we were supposed to do a mini-tri (our first open swim in the lake)... except that 250 acres of the park burned Saturday night and the park is still closed... :sad: We ended up doing 9 miles bike/2 miles run through my friend's neighborhood instead. We'll try again next weekend! ;)

:wizard: and :grouphug: for those dealing with injuries, illness, and job issues!!!

I have to run, but I'll read more tonight!

:wave2: Happy training!!!
--Lynnda

Minnie
04-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Hi everyone!

Guess What??????

I PUT IN THE STEPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It wasn't much but for the first time since last summer when I hurt my back/hip I got my tail off the couch and out on the road. When I got home I didn't stop to do all the normal stuff I changed my clothes and out the door I went just like I used to :cool1:

I manged 2 15min miles which isn't great but just putting in the steps was the important part. My legs were very very tight and I need to get my new shoes ordered but I am so happy that I got out there :banana:

Have a great night everyone!

k_hase
04-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Didn't have time to read everyone's posts....

I met Dave on saturday at my store, good guy with cute kids...

I'm going thru the most insane taper madness ever for Boston. I'm alternately convinced I have an ulcer, a broken leg, or a tumor. I'm also convinced that all my other marathons don't count anymore, that they must not have actualy been 26 miles, because there is no way that I am running 26 miles next week, no freakin' way.

:crazy:

MouseDogMom
04-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Karen - Congrats on signing up for the WDW 1/2. I wish I had the nerve to do it, but I'm holding out for 2008!

Celeste - I LOVE Grey's Anatomy! And especially Patrick Dempsey - doesn't matter whether it's realistic or not, the characters are just great.

Maherae - Bad luck on your 10 miles, but it made for a great story!

Krista - Yea for signing up for the WDW full!

Paul - Congrats on PRs for you and your wife.

Carrie - pixiedust: for your FIL. I understand completely about your heart not being here.

Scott - Great time! Good luck on your 5k Saturday.

Minnie - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I went out tonight and tried to run. I planned to keep it simple, just to see how the tendon/calf/leg felt. Did a mile, mostly in 2/1 splits - walk 2 min, run 1 min. Wish I could say it felt good, but it hurt like ----. Back on ice now, hope it feels better in the morning. At least I listened to my body - my head wanted to keep going, especially since it's been a week since I've run, but I did the right thing and stopped after a mile. I will do the Minnie, I will do the Minnie...

Jackie

NYcpa
04-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Jackie - I know what you mean about doing the minnie. I completed the WDW Half in January and am signed up for the Minnie. I have been fighting tendonitis in my left foot since completing the race. I am currently in PT to try and get the foot straightened out. It looks like I will be the cheering section for my 2 daughters while they do the race.

Hope thing work out so you can run. Take it easy and let the injury heal.

Have a good day and good luck with your future training.

icunurse_celeste
04-10-2006, 08:48 PM
This is a sad story of two attempts at 10 miles :sad: . Last Friday, DH decided to donate blood. He got picked to donate "packed cells"(all you medical people please understand if I explain this wrong) which meant that they took 2 pints out, separated out the red blood cells and put the rest back in. Saturday morning he gets to sleep in (no kids at home..), so we don't get started until 11 with the temp at 85. Needless to say, by mile two he was hurting. Problem was he had trained me to leave him so he could jog part of the time. So, I am merrily (well, not really..it was HOT!!), walking along and when I don't see him, just think that he has gone off on a side street. At mile 4 we finally meet and I know he's in trouble. I'm the one that carries the water, too! I threatened to stop the next pick up truck that came by to give us a ride home, but he said no way would he ride. Stubborn man!! Fortunately, it was just 2 miles straight back to our house. Got fluids in him and he's fine.

Anne,

You actually described what they did really well. They take out the red blood cells that carry oxygen and put the plasma back in- you give it for free, the red cross charges the hosptial between $400 & $700 per unit (300 to 400 mL) and who knows how much the patient pays for it. Blood is expensive.

Anyways- so you poor hubby was short some volume, as we would say and has a decreased ability to exchange oxygen due to decreased red blood cells, and plus his body is under strain trying to replace the lost volume and cells. No wonder he was a little fatigued! They probably should have mentioned that you need a little while to recover from such things...bad red cross, bad. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear he is doing fine.

I took my 7 yo son out to "run" tonight because he is doing the kids marathon in Salt Lake, when I do my half. The little twirp is faster than me! I kept up with him the whole time, but we did a mile at 12 minutes- with him dictating the speed. He only stopped to walk twice! :lmao: Makes a momma proud and jealous all at the same time!

Jackie- rerun last night! pirate:
Kim- Good luck in Boston.
Minnie- Congrat on getting the steps in :woohoo:
Sunny- stamina is what you have.

Who was asking about a walking partner for Pigs? When is it? If I'm not working, maybe I'll come.

MelRhoads
04-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Kim - Sorry aobut your taper madness. You really can run 26.2 miles and you are ready! If you are in doubt, go back and look at your previous posts, you'll be reminded that you had some good last long runs!!!!! I think there really is something to taper insanity!

TiffJ
04-10-2006, 09:36 PM
My computer crashes for 1 day & I miss 3 pages :bitelip:

Lynne- He has already done his research & found a kids road bike. Trek KDR 1000. We found one at a bike store in Birmingham so he got to actually ride it around the store (they have an indoor track) and is currently saving up for it. (Mom doesnt pay $600 for a kids bike) There were about 3 other kids at the tri that had Trek bikes. And dont think he didnt mention that several times. His bike is REALLY heavy though.

MelR-I bet you will enjoy an offroad tri. That sounds right up your alley.

Mel-My DH could not have held me back. This momma lion doesnt calm that quickly once she gets rilled up. :wizard: for you & DH job. I know your trip in May will be much better. You description of DD13 running is funny, my neices who are 12 are pretty much the same way.

Kathy-hope that tendonitis gets better soon.

Krista-his tri went great! I told him it was no fair he got to do one before me. He thinks that's cool. I asked him right after he finished if he wanted to do another one. He said he needed to train more first because he felt like he was going to puke. :rotfl:

Celeste-DS8 is doing a kids marathon too. He also thinks its cool that he is doing a full marathon & mom has only done a 1/2. :rolleyes2

K_hase- I didnt know you were doing the Boston. Cool :cool1: Good luck with your taper.

Minnie- thats right, putting in those steps is the most important part.

Carrie- :wizard: :wizard: for your FIL & your whole family.

Well, I'm tired tonight. See you guys in the a.m.

lizdotcom99
04-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Hi Gang! Sorry I have been MIA...LOTS going on here. I have to tell you that I LVOE my job. It is crayz busy with LOTS to learn...but I think I am going to be OK with things here.

About shirts....I hate to admit this.. but I really think I need to step back from that for now. I seem to have too many computer problems to even try to attempt to keep in touch with all of you...and I won't even begin to share my file sending woes...or lack thereof. Should anybody want to take over...please feel free. Sorry guys....but I just have a lot going on right now.

And now for the good news....thanks for all the prayers and good thoughts for my dad. He got the results of his PET Scan today and things are looking pretty good. It appears that there is just one tumor and it has shrank considerably. They willl be monitoring his progress often. What a relief!!! Me and my family thank you for all the well wishes! It looks like they definately worked.

WISH I had a little more time to read and catch up with all of you...maybe this weekend. Hoping to get out tomorrow for a little 2 miler!! It is just about official CHicago DIstance Classic traing time!! Oye!!!

Happy Training!!

Lisa loves Pooh
04-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Yeah for your dad Liz!

My job seems to be taking all my time!!! Yes--that is why I am not here much. I keep the DIS chats to fluff threads when I surf. And sweating and training isn't fluff LOL!

I did hit the road with the girls and the jogging stroller today for 2 miles. Very weird after weeks of being sedentary.

Getting in the training to train mode for DL.

Getting in the saving to save mode as well LOL! We'll see how that turns out.

And getting into the preparing to be preggers mode LOL! Hmmm....cross training??

My at home job is giong well--has its hairpulling moments...but first time I've been earning any kind of cash in years except for my childcare job which is a very once in a blue moon thing with my church.

Anywho--I must start checking in more often.

I am getting eval'd for ADD tomorrow---well seeing my doc who will refer me to someone who will do that. It's soo funny--b/c you mention it to people and they cast it off as something soo simple--Oh you're a mom--that's what happens...Oh I am scatterbrained too...oh that happens to me all the time. Don't you hate that? It's like--okay--thanks for the vote of hypochondriac confidence there. I have a history of these things that were there well before kids well before everything--and I had a psych who suspected it at one point and didn't feel the need to do anything about it as I had other pressing issues that needed to be treated and at the time--I seemed to manage it just fine. Anywho--that is what I am up to. This that and the other.

And if I can afford DL and if I am preggers--I will be wogging Lily style (Though slower)--doing the reverse intervals of my run/walking (changing 4:1's to 1:4's). It's an Inaugural medal for Mickey's sake! Who can pass that up! It's right there for the taking!

ETA: I scrapped Minnie. Not worth the lack of training and risk of injury. So those who are going--have fun!

Mouse Skywalker
04-11-2006, 06:20 AM
Good Morning Everyone: :surfweb:

Wow, I've been busy lately with work and haven't had much time to post. I barely have time to keep up with the reading. This weekend I was a single Dad with the princesses princess: princess:. DW went back to PA to visit her family, she needed a weekend to herself, and I watched the girls. I did manage to get 2 good runs in on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday the princesses went over to a neighbors for a play date while I went for a run with my running group. I did 3.1 miles in 31 min for a 9:52 mpm pace. Sunday I took the girls to a local park that has an crushed stone/gravel trail around the perimeter. We each had walkie-talkies and I ran while they played on the playground. I did 3.0 miles in 28 min for a 9:34 mpm pace. I love, love, love the Garmin!!! Had a rest day yesterday.

I did get to stop in and meet Kim at her running store on Saturday. That was fun. The princesses princess: princess: had fun running around the track in the store while we talked, but then DD8 said "enough chit-chat let's shop". So that was it for the conversation. Kim, I never got to wish you luck for Boston. Good luck - I can't wait to hear how it goes. I'm sure you'll be fine, and remember this is just a "training run" for you for Wisconsin, right? Just go enjoy it.

So when I got my Garmin, I also bought Marathoning for Mortals and have been reading it. So now I'm having the panic attack that I think Amy was having before. I just read the chapter saying now to even attempt a marathon without a year of a running base under your belt. I'm panicking. I thought I had enough time to train for the WDW full. What do you all think? Am I pushing it too much?

OK, one final thing I just thought of. I received a reply from SockGuy yesterday saying there is a 120 pair minimum order for the custom socks. Aaaargh, they never mentioned this before, nor was it in any of their literature. I think right now we are up to ~70 pairs of socks (Anne can correct me if I'm wrong), but I don't think we're near 120. Shoot, now I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Lisa loves Pooh
04-11-2006, 06:28 AM
well in a way MFM is true--having some sort of base is good.

However--it can be done. But if you refuse to follow all precautions you will get injured.

the base--helps to stave off injury b/c your body's systems are used to the exercise and it is recommended by most any program.

TiffJ
04-11-2006, 07:05 AM
Dave-while yes, I think you do need some base (I think you're working on that now) I think you have learned your lesson about going too fast too soon & will be fine with almost a year of training. I went from zero (and actually below nothing) to 1/2 in 5 months and I have NEVER been athletic. I followed the MFM plan & it worked for me. I also read that book after I had registered, had about a weeks worth of panic attacks, did more research on the internet to find something to tell me that I could do it. I found the reassurance I needed right here on the WISH boards. Also your pace is looking great. Don't forget if you need to, you can walk some-all you have to do is finish ahead of the sweepers. I know you can do this, with careful training & taking care of yourself you will be fine. (BTW if I went home to see my family without my kids, I would be shunned by them , DS's is who they're interested in :teeth: )

Lisa-good to see you back. Sorry you wont be at Minnie but I am hoping you will make it to DL.

Liz-that is so great that you have a job you love! Very lucky, alot of people dont like their job, much less love it.

I'm going swimming this a.m. haven't been getting much pool time in so it should be a good workout.

Where's Christa? Is she in Jordan?

goofyguy1958
04-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Morning all, great training everyone. Yesterday I was releated to the treadmill because I had DD and DS at home and was not really motivated because it was 65 and beautiful here. Even so, I ended up doing 4 miles in 33:00 mins and then walked another .5 mile to cool down. The entire workout was a struggle to continue - instead of doing my planned 45 mins I cut it short and stopped at 4 miles - but I did get in a good effort. Today is an off day but will be doing a lot of walking at Natural History Museum with DD and DS.

Good day and good training!

jodistar
04-11-2006, 07:45 AM
Morning Everyone,

Wow - this board has been as busy as I have been at work......today, is another busy one.......last night I was totally wiped out after work.

Today, I hope eventhough it will be busy that I will still have some energy.....I would like to go running after work. Although, I am due to do that 5 mile run (not sure if I will be up for that one).

Jody: WTG on your 5K run with the Garmin! Can't wait to get mine...I'm ordering it when we get back from AZ!!!Amy, you are going to love having it.....I now know why everyone loves running outside so much and I also know why they all recommend the Garmin. :love:

Krista - Congratulations for signed up! Oh BTW - Good point about running back to back runs.....not sure that I would do that right now - but it probably is a good idea. I plan to take an easy a little bit on the 1/2 and then give it all that I have on the full marathon. I will have to consult with my trainer about the Goofy and see what she says. So are you excited about the marathon?

So when I got my Garmin, I also bought Marathoning for Mortals and have been reading it. So now I'm having the panic attack that I think Amy was having before. I just read the chapter saying now to even attempt a marathon without a year of a running base under your belt. I'm panicking. I thought I had enough time to train for the WDW full. What do you all think? Am I pushing it too much? Dave, I have to say I felt the same way about the marathon after reading Marathoning for Mortals.....but I think we will both be fine. Just take it at a pace that is right for our bodies. I plan on doing a half marathon in early October to help me get used to pacing myself but also to get used to being around a lot of runners.

I will also be doing (official)5k's and 10k's throughout the year. My first 5k (official) is next month.....I hope I do well.

Oh no! I have to go - work to do. Hopefully, I will be able to check in later tonight.....have a great day everyone!

Jodi

wtpclc
04-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Dave - DH and I did not start any real exercise plan until March of last year. We started with 4/1 w/r intervals. We ran the full in January with only water and photo stops. We were not speedy, but we did it. WIth the sound of your trianing program, you will be fine.

Kathy - I hope you're heeding your own advice and lettign yourself heal. :teeth:

Thanks for all of teh good wishes for my FIL. It's going to be a long week. He had a mass of flesh-eating bacteria on his thigh. (Yes, it really does exist. It's rare but when someone with a low immune system is exposed to strp, it can manifest itself this way.) They operated within 30 minutes of diagnosis and took most of his quad out. They will leave teh area open until Wednesday and tehn look at it again. We've been told the average number of times to go back in is 3. They are saying he will need surgery again Wednesday and more than likely Friday too. They are pretty much keeping him under until he is done with surgeries, because he cannot take pain meds. ALhtough it's better for him to heal, it's rough on the family. On the bright side, they are feeling pretty confident that he won't lose his leg. It's going to be a long wekk, though. Thanks for putting up with me and please continue to keep his family in your thoughts.

Last night was beautiful and today is supposed to be the same. Unfortunately, trying to finish taxes and no help around the house from dh has me pretyt bogged down. I'm sure I won't have time to get outside until it's sleeting or something. ;)

aladdinsgirl
04-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Good morning everyone! Yesterday was a rest day, I did take Hines on a walk, about a mile and a half, but that was it. Is anyone else unbelievably sore the day after his or her long run or walk? Anything over 8 miles and I'm hobbling around like an old woman for a couple of hours the next morning. I'm in good shape and the distance doesn't bother me while I'm doing it or even later that day, but the next morning? I can hardly get out of bed my muscles and joints are so sore. People at work were laughing at me because I usually do lr's on Saturday, so they don't see me like that, but I did my 9 miles on Sunday so they saw me in all my post long run glory. :teeth: By noon I was fine, but until then I was taking tiny, tiny steps and only walking when I had to.

Tiff--Your son sounds so cute! That is too funny that he thinks he's cool because he's doing a full and you "only" did a half marathon. Tell him congrats from his Wish aunts and uncles on finishing his tri, he has more guts than I do!!

Jodi--I am so excited for the full, but nervous too, I just don't know how in the world I'm going to run 26.2 miles. But I thought that when I signed up for the half last year and I think I did just fine. :goodvibes I'm not doing Goofy and I'm not an expert, but my husband is doing Goofy next year, so we talk about a lot of training programs and most of the training programs for ultra marathons (because you won't find a program for Goofy) calls for back to back long runs. Stephen is using Hal Higdon's intermediate marathon program that incorporates back to back long runs, for example on Saturday he would 7 miles and on Sunday he would do 14, etc to get used to doing the half and then the full.

Lisa--Glad to see you back!! We've missed you. Good luck on getting knocked up. ;)

Kim--Good luck with Boston!! Wow!! What was your qualifying time?

Sunny--Yes, I am a baby, that's what happens when your the 4th kid out of 5--you're very babied! I know they say you never forget how to ride a bike, but I know I would get up there and tip over, I haven't been on a bike for 13 years!!

Carrie-- :grouphug: for you father-in-law. He and your family are in my prayers.

Dave--I'm another one who went from nothing to finishing a half marathon in less than a year. I was in okay shape before I started training, but there's no way I could have ran a mile or even walk more than 3 miles. I signed up for the half on May 24 2005 and started training on May 25; I finished the half using MfM run/walk program in 2:41. Just follow the directions to take it slow and you should be fine. It wasn't until I've been running almost a year that I got my first running injury. :rolleyes2

Melissa--You know, I have no idea where this stick-with-it-ness is coming from. I think I just don't want to miss out on all the fun!! I just got an e-mail, 26 days til the Pig!!! :cheer2:

Minnie-- :yay: for getting out there and doing it!! And your back/hip didn't bother you?? Awesome!!

:wave2: to everyone else I missed!! Talk to you all later!!

wtpclc
04-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Hate to say it Krista, but the best cure for teat next day soreness was a cold soak. ;)

aladdinsgirl
04-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Carrie--I take ice baths after every run over 7 miles and I'm still sore. :confused3

wtpclc
04-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Bummer Krista! I know we tended to crash out on Saturdays after our 12+ milers, but Sunday was not too bad. However, I was mildly sore every day from teh time we started training until I recoverd from teh marathon. ;)

keenercam
04-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Hi, everyone!
Carrie -- sending pixiedust: for your FIL. What an awful process, but I am so glad the doctors feel they have it under control. Please give Scott our love and :grouphug: and good wishes.

Minnie -- congrats on getting back out there.

Well, the good news is I got out of work and to the gym last night. The bad news is that I found out the hard way (or was reminded, I should say), that the right shoe makes all the difference in the world. I took my new shoes with me (the model that is supposedly the replacement for my my favorite, that has been discontinued) to try out on the TM and was miserable from the time I tried to walk in them. They are definitely NOT the same shoe in a different color. The heel kept slipping and my little toes were rubbing. I also had shin splints almost immediately after starting on the TM, and my ankle (that I tore 3 ligaments in a few years ago) was hurting like crazy. I was also reminded of how badly my hip can hurt. I am still convinced it is a hamstring thing, and I HAVE to remember to stretch that before and after every wog. I don't know why I forgot last night, but I am paying the price today. I won't make that mistake again.

So, Howard mailed the shoes back for me today. I am glad I found a pair of my discontinued model on-line, but I am going to actually order another pair, so that I have 2 -- one to get me to and through the DL 1/2 and another to get me to and through the 2007 WDW Full. After that, I have NO idea what I will be doing for shoes. Hopefully, I will find something else that works.

Anyway, training session last night was icky. Did 5 minute warm up at 15 minute pace (.33 miles) and then did 1 mile at 14:14. Then, stepped off the TM in the interests of not wiping out my feet.

BTW, we are mostly recovered from Andy's play. He was absolutely amazing -- the objective opinion of lots of people, not his biased mom. He was very professional and I could have burst with pride. He was positively swarmed with kids wanting his autograph after the performance, and he was admirably modest and grateful to everyone who complimented him. As soon as I get some pictures, I will post them.

Now, just trying to get back to normal life. I WAS going to go to the gym tonight, but a bunch of the play moms are meeting for mexican food and margarita's. I'm saving all my points and looking forward to some down time. Back to the gym tomorrow a.m.

Good luck at Boston, Kim. Dave, your training and pace are wonderful. I think you will be just fine for the full as long as you keep up the amazingly disciplined training. Sorry to all I missed.

Kristi1357
04-11-2006, 01:22 PM
I just wanted to ask you guys a question - what kind of sunscreen is best? I am a fair redhead and I am going to need something with a really high SPF that doesn't sweat off. Anything you recommend? I did go out and buy a nice hat for running yesterday.

It occurred to me the other day that I may be in sunburn-trouble during the Minnie. I am one of those lucky few that get that weird sunburn/rash on the back of their lower calves at WDW. The area swells up and is painful & itchy. You know, the thing people get from the light reflecting up from the ground up glass in the pavement? (I've seen this discussed before on threads on the DIS)

I will post more later, but right now I am heading out for a 3 miler.
I just wanted to post my question before I forgot again!

plutosmyfav
04-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Kim-- Good luck on Boston! I didn't realize you were running. I have a 5 miler at the same time in Lexington (~12 miles from Boston) or I'd come out and cheer you on! I know 4 people running this year. I had forgotten how insane the taper is until I read your post. I remember having non-stop aches and pains and doubts. I was sure I had a stress fracture and was coming down with the flu for two weeks straight!!!! You'll do great. :cheer2:

Dave-- Were'nt you already training to train in January? That gives you a solid year before Jan '07. I'm sure you'll do fine.

I'm just back from a gorgeous 7 miler. The weather is perfect. My work is still in an uproar but as of last Friday I made the decision I am going to get my workouts in regardless of the state of my work. Sitting 10-12 hours at a computer without moving just isn't healthy (or sane).

I think I'll go to the Y tonight to swim and lift weights if the weather doesn't woo me away...

Sunny

Lisa loves Pooh
04-11-2006, 02:10 PM
Well, the good news is I got out of work and to the gym last night. The bad news is that I found out the hard way (or was reminded, I should say), that the right shoe makes all the difference in the world. I took my new shoes with me (the model that is supposedly the replacement for my my favorite, that has been discontinued) to try out on the TM and was miserable from the time I tried to walk in them. They are definitely NOT the same shoe in a different color. .

This is the most irritating thing with the shoe companies.

They did this with my running shoe in 2005. I did the full in 2005. Loved my shoes. go to get another pair--they slightly changed the model. I try them on--I insisted that they moved the arch (I have FLAT feet and can tell). They said--no, that wasn't one of the changes. oh yes it was!

It took me over a year to find a decent replacement. I bought shoes for 2006. The one I had--they changed it. :confused3 The new one was no longer a motion control shoe--they turned it into who knows what. So I wore these white shoes---come to find out--they worked..but I hated them. Didn't know why.

When I shope motion control--I have such a limited selection. I really need all the extra support. So I relented--I wanted the strongest stabilizer shoe--so I now have the Saucony Hurricane. :love: :love: :love: Unfortunately I don't have the income to buy out the inventory so I can have the shoe for the rest of my life. But 18 months later I finally have THE shoe for me.

Of course Murphy's law. They will change something goofy to make it better. :rolleyes:

Kristi1357
04-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Just finished a 3 mile walk/run:
13:55
13:13
13:04
40:12

I was just plain tired, but my time wasn't so bad compared to other 3 milers. I guess sleeping 5 hours a night isn't ideal, huh? :rolleyes:

I went out pretty bummed too. I weighed in at Weight Watchers at noon and was up 1.2 lbs. Why is it so darn hard for me to lose weight? I mean, I have been exercising since January and I am still about the same weight - and no, my clothes aren't looser. (ok, vent over!)

Kim - good luck in Boston! I'll be thinking of you Monday - I work at a Boston TV station and we always have a reporter in Hopkinton starting at 5am.

Carrie - :hug: for you FIL!

Sunny - you are amazing as usual - I only wish I had your energy! :worship:

wtpclc
04-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Kristi - I've used Banana Boat most. They have like a 35 for aports that's supposed to be sweat prrof. I'm pretty fair and it workedok for me. I use some of the stick with supper duper protection fo rmy nose too. It's ultra sensitive.

MelRhoads
04-11-2006, 03:36 PM
Just got back from mountain biking the same single track loop that i ran on sunday. Phil and rode together, as it is his day off clinic. We had a great ride and thankfully didn't see many horses (just old horse poop today) Phil got the wonderful job of loading the bikes (with the big tire treads) back on the car (so I avoided the poop shower altoghther!) We crossed a small creek 2 times and the dogwoods and redbud trees are bloomng, so it was a beautiful ride. My mt. biking is steadily improving. Last sept. i could not even come close to riding the stuff i rode today. Now i just have to get faster. It actually didn't take me that much more time to run the 9 miles ;-)

Sunny - I'm glad you are back at it!!!!!!

Cam-sorry about your shoes. In our family, we have realized that phil is a jacket purchaser, the boy is a light saber purchaser and i am a shoe purchaser. We are each in search of the perfect one, but alas, we shall keep buying until that day comes!!! You might become a shoe buyer like me. Although, I must say, it would be more frustrating to have found "the shoe" and have to begin the quest again, than to just be a seeker. Best wishes in your search! :teeth:

TnTsParty
04-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Wow so much goes on here its hard to have time to keep up to date with everything. I was so sore on Sunday and Monday after my 5k. I tried to go out yesterday morning but had to turn around due to tightening up in my calves. I only got about a 1/2 mile in. My legs felt better today so I went out for a mile run. I am trying to work on doing a full 1/2 mile before taking a walk break. I made it the full 1/2 mile running but when I stopped and turned around to go home for the other 1/2 my calves tightened up again and I had mostly walk it home. I need to do some real good stretching tonight because I am getting more and more excited to actually be out there running. That after constantly thinking what the heck am I out here doing when I am actually running!! I think it was my good time on my 5k that got me motivated to train more so that I can get better and better (man I want to get my miles under 10 minutes so that is my goal for my next 5k which is May 29)

Now to catch up with everyone....

Maherae - at least you got out there and tried to do it. Good luck next week with your 10k.
Amy - Thanks!! Hope you have fun on your vacation. Can't wait to see your pics.
Krista - Hope your knee feels better and pixie dust to you for the Pig. Take it easy so that you don't really hurt yourself. We will be in WDW at the same time as you (just not as many days (12th-15th) so pixie dust with Delta. As far as being sore the next day, yes I was extremely sore after my 5k (as that is the longest run I have done so far and it was my best time)
Paul - Congrats on your new PR - that is a great time on your 5k. My first 5k was Saturday and I got my PR of 31:30 so I am happy but I know I have alot of work to do.
Carrie - Pixie Dust to your FIL. I will be praying for him. Sounds like a scary situation at least they were able to take care of it almost as soon as they diagnosed it.
Minnie - Congrats on getting in the steps - that is all that counts!!
Liz - that is great that you love your job, it makes it alot easier to go in I am sure!! Glad to hear your dad is doing better.
Kim - Good luck in Boston!!!
Jodi - I am sure you will do well in your 1st 5k. I was nervous before mine but that was mainly because I didn't know what to expect. It was fun. Once you get through your 1st I am sure there will be no stopping you because that is how I am feeling right now) Have fun amd enjoy the experience of getting your first offical time!!
Lynnda - So sorry to hear that the park by you burned and that your mini tri got postponed. At least you were able to some of it.

Ok well it is time for me to go home from work so I better sign off here!! LOL

Tricia

Jen117
04-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Just a quick post because I don't have time for personals. I walked 1 1/2 miles while pushing my girls yesterday. Today I did 20 minutes on the cross trainer and jogged 10 minutes.

I decided to go back to my training materials and work on my walk/jog intervals. I think I am trying to push my jogging faster than I should. I can't find the MfM book at Barnes and Noble here, so may have to order it online.

Hope everyone stays healthy and happy!!!

jodistar
04-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post to let you know that I did end up going running tonight....I ran 5 miles in 54.10 - that's (according to Garmin) 10.47 min/mile.

Well, gotta go.....I will check in on all of you in the morning!

Jodi

kimwim8
04-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Hi guys. I can't believe it's only the 11th, and this thread is on page 5 already! Wow, time flies!

I ran on Sunday at the park. I made it four laps (which equals 2 miles) in 23 minutes. The watch I was using wasn't digital, so I couldn't really see it well while running to do my 3 run/1 walk. So I ran a lot longer. It appeared I ran anywhere from 6-8 minutes, then walked a minute or two. I felt really good.

I ran today at lunch through the woods at work. It was a much harder run, for some reason. I stuck with 3/1 and went 25 minutes, but my breathing was really labored.

It was a GORGEOUS day in NJ...70-ish and sunny. I think I'm almost not used to running in the warmer weather. I don't know if that's why it was rough, or what...but not my best run.

I'm hoping to run again Thursday before work (I meet with my nutritionist at lunch on Thursdays) and then Saturday at the park.

Hope you're all having a great week! I haven't read all of the pages yet, but I will tomorrow. :wave2:

MelRhoads
04-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Jodi - You are really doing a great job. You pace seems great!

Lisa loves Pooh
04-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post to let you know that I did end up going running tonight....I ran 5 miles in 54.10 - that's (according to Garmin) 10.47 min/mile.

Well, gotta go.....I will check in on all of you in the morning!

Jodi

AWESOME!

Lisa loves Pooh
04-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Hey everyone!

I have a request--I'd like to clean up the FAQ--if anyone is interested in some cutting/pasting/editing exercises--please let me know.

I want to clean it up so that it is easier to read. Basically post links in the FAQ while posting sections into their own thread for reference. I've seen this on other boards.

So anyone interested?

PM me.

Thanks!

jodistar
04-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Morning Everyone,

Wow yesterday should was a busy day on the boards. :teeth:

I went out tonight and tried to run. I planned to keep it simple, just to see how the tendon/calf/leg felt. Did a mile, mostly in 2/1 splits - walk 2 min, run 1 min. Wish I could say it felt good, but it hurt like ----. Back on ice now, hope it feels better in the morning. At least I listened to my body - my head wanted to keep going, especially since it's been a week since I've run, but I did the right thing and stopped after a mile. I will do the Minnie, I will do the Minnie...

Jackie I hope things improve for you. :wizard:

Liz I am so glad that you like the new job. Also, glad to hear that things improved for your father.

Jodi--I am so excited for the full, but nervous too, I just don't know how in the world I'm going to run 26.2 miles. But I thought that when I signed up for the half last year and I think I did just fine. I'm not doing Goofy and I'm not an expert, but my husband is doing Goofy next year, so we talk about a lot of training programs and most of the training programs for ultra marathons (because you won't find a program for Goofy) calls for back to back long runs. Stephen is using Hal Higdon's intermediate marathon program that incorporates back to back long runs, for example on Saturday he would 7 miles and on Sunday he would do 14, etc to get used to doing the half and then the full. Krista I might just have to pick your brain every once in a while with the whole training thing. I'm a little nervous about the Goofy but really excited at the same time. What exactly are ultra marathons? I just dug my MfM book again.....I had been following the training plan in The Non-Runners Marathon Guide and while I do like it and have been feeling good with it......some of the runs during the week aren't really realistic.

Cam Hope your feeling better today - it's weird how something as little as running shoes makes all of the difference. Glad you were able to find your old shoes online.

Jodi - I am sure you will do well in your 1st 5k. I was nervous before mine but that was mainly because I didn't know what to expect. It was fun. Once you get through your 1st I am sure there will be no stopping you because that is how I am feeling right now) Have fun amd enjoy the experience of getting your first offical time!! Thanks Tricia....I am going to try and post pictures here after my first 5k (ended up getting a new digital camera yesterday).

This Saturday is my next training session.....I'm so excited! I actually look forward to the torture. :teeth: Well, today I hope to do some Pilates, depending how tired I am once the workday is done.....The workload has been brutal this week.

Have a good day everyone,

Jodi

aladdinsgirl
04-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Good morning!! I wore Hines out last night, we walked 4 miles in 52:53, he was flying and at times was dragging me. We stayed in our neighborhood since I didn't get a chance to walk until after dark and every time we passed our house (our neighborhood is a mile loop) I would try to get him to drink water that I left out. Well, Hines was having none of that. He would push the water bowl away and pull me to start walking again. By the end of the week, he'll do 12 miles with me, but I don't think he's quite ready for my 10 miler on Saturday! :goodvibes

Jodi--Awesome pace on your 5 miles!! You rock! An ultramarathon is basically anything over 26.2 miles, so even though Goofy is over 2 days, you're still running a total of 39.3 miles. I think the most important thing you can do in training for Goofy is doing back to back long runs--during the week you can do "normal" training, 5 miles or whatever the training program calls for, but on Saturday and Sundays (or whatever works best for you) you should do back to back runs. On Saturday you would do the lr for your half and on Sunday you would do the lr for your full. So if this week your lr's were at 6 miles for the half and 12 miles for the full, then on Saturday you would run 6 and on Sunday 12, the next week 7/14, and then 8/16 etc. Stephen is using Hal Higdon's Intermediate Marathon training program, which technically is for a regular marathon, but the program incorporates back to back lr's. Don't be nervous, you have some time to figure this all out, just keep doing what you are doing--you're doing great!! :cheer2:

Tricia--Yay on your 5K!! I love running 5K's. :love: Good luck on getting your legs stretched out, I know how painful cramping muscles can be.

I'd love to sit and chat, but I have a pile of paper on my desk that I need to get started on, be back later!!

solotraveler
04-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Good morning!!

No time for individual replies this morning... I'm just swamped.

Monday was a great crosstraining day with weights and cardio. On the cardio end of things I did 10 minutes on the bike before I hit the weights, then 30 minutes on the Stepmill afterwards.

Yesterday I ran for 35 minutes, 3run/2 walk intervals and ended up with 3.?? miles and a 9:35/mile pace. It was so odd running in 70 degree weather, but I am NOT complaining. Tomorrow should be the same run, I believe.

Another crosstraining day here-- weights and cardio.

OK, boss is calling...

Happy training all!

Mouse Skywalker
04-12-2006, 09:59 AM

I just have time for a quick post too. Yesterday was a really hard run for me. I guess a "stonker" to use the language of the team. As soon as I started running my shins hurt - it actually kind of jolted and shocked me because I wasn't expecting it. I ran 3.02 miles (in the Mt Hope Cemetery for Kim ;)) in 32:58 min or 10:55 mpm. That was way slower than the sub-10 mpms I was running over the weekend. Halfway through the run I just felt like stopping - I had no energy whatsoever. I think I didn't eat enough during the day. I had a small breakfast and then only a bagel and energy bar for lunch. I'm also thinking that the shoes I wore to work yesterday exacerbated my shin problem when I ran. I have another pair of running shoes on today. I'm not sure what I'm doing today - if I will try another run, do some elliptical, or try the deep water running. I'm really getting frustrated with this shin trouble. I iced and took allieve as soon as I got home yesterday, and I took more allieve today. It's very frustrating.

gradtchr
04-12-2006, 10:15 AM
I hope everyone who is sick or injured is feeling better soon!!!

I am so excited last night I finally found the right pace for me to run for distances. Of course I found the pace when I was exhausted but I can't wait to get out there tomorrow and run again and see if it works!! :cool1:

Hockeychic
04-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Wow I am going to have to check in more often. I will catch up on all the posts.

I am doing good, really good actually. Getting in alot of long distance walking, doing my weights, and eatting so much better, I was recently diagnosied with high cholesteral and tryglycerieds so all of this is now not only for a sense of accomplishment but most importantly for my health. My doctor said I could still train, he said it was the best thing for me. I still have 40 pds I need to get off before the 1/2 but I know I can do it.

hope you all all doing good, I will catch up on these posts today...who needs to work... :lmao:

Have a great day all.

Kim

BTW can you add Dh to the list Mike, he has decided to do the 1/2 with me.

Thank you

plutosmyfav
04-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Just a quickie for me, too.

I way over did it yesterday and literally couldn't get out of bed this morning. Woo hoo it's good to feel like myself again :teeth:

I did the 7 miler at lunchtime.

Went to the Y afterwork and did my 400m in 8:40 (look out, Speedy!). My 800 in 18:52. So that was a huge improvement over last time. I will probably need to contact the tri coordinator and change my seed time. I think I told them 9:30.

Then I did weights. I finally did it...

I pressed 600 lbs on the leg press :banana: :banana: :banana: Not once, not twice, but 2 full sets of 8. I did a total of 8 sets which was 31,020 lbs on the leg press alone!

I can't tell you how much my legs and booty hurt this morning. But they're all better now :teeth:

I think I'll just walk at lunchtime today.

Oh, and about the swimming. I didn't stop between laps, but I don't know how to do the turning thingy so I know I lose time switching directions. I also was amazed at how shakey I was when I got out of the water. I thought about jumping on a bike in a matter of seconds and realized that's going to be very challenging...

So Kevin, can you teach me how to do the turning thingy online? :)

MelR-- I'll teach you weight-lifting online but I don't have time right now. :)

Sunny

Hockeychic
04-12-2006, 10:18 AM
I forgot to ask, how would I be able to find out when the 1/2 was close to being full?

DH and I are going to register but due to the house needing a new roof and windows....not bad for a 13 year old home :confused3 money will be a little tight for a bit but I don't want to miss out.

Thanks

Kim

wtpclc
04-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Good News!

FIL's out of surgery # 2 and they only had to take little tissue. Plus, they will re-pack and inspect the opening on Friday, but they do not think they will have to do surgery!!! Now, he did have a lung collapse and quickly recover during surgery and they have to keep him on the ventilator a little longer but all in all it's looking like a better day.

Thansk everyone for your thoughts. Now, let's see if I can get some training in this week. :p

Hockeychic
04-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Carrie: Thoughts and prayers to your FIL. Hope all turns out well.

:cheer2: :cheer2: I just signed up for my first race. A 5K, June 3. I am really excited...Now I use the term race loosely...I would like to finish in a good time. Since it is my first official race I would like to jog or run the entire thing so I have alot of work to do in just over 7 weeks. Am I being unrealistic??? I can easily walk 5k but have never run any lengh before??

What do you all think.....????

I am so excited!!!! :woohoo:

TiffJ
04-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Well I finally got my decent pace back. It was on a SR but I'll take it. I did 3 miles at 13:33 :cool1: It's still not as fast as I was doing but close. I'm starting to get worried about the heat getting me too. Today was only 68 and not near as humid as it is in Orlando. Sweat was dripping in my eyes, I felt ok but my face was sooooo splotchy red -not pretty. We're going to be at 85 by the weekend. (but like Kevin, I'm not complaining.)

I found a new pixie dust smile pixiedust: neat!

hockeychic-they usually start announcing as it fills up 50%, 75%, etc. so you will have a little warning before it is totally full. That is cool DH is going to do it with you.

Sunny-you are doing great at your tri training.

Dave- pixiedust: for the shins !

Have a great afternoon everyone!!!

gradtchr
04-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Carrie-I hope your FIL continues to improve.

Sunny-600 pounds WOW!

MelRhoads
04-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Sunny - are you swimming really fast? I dont know what my times were. I think I can do 1000 meters in about 26-27 minutes. Is that really slow? I usually don't really feel tired and i feel like i could pretty much keep going forever. I think i'm going to do a 1 or 2 miles swim this summer in the lake (it is a race they do every year, but it sounds pretty casual)

It was bible study/mocha day, but since the boy decided to skip his nap this afternoon, we loaded up w/ the road bike and rode the loop at the national military park. He was a little disappointed that he didn't get ride his trail a bike, but i knew the trailer was going to be easier for me to pull and he was supposed to be resting anyway. We finished in pretty good time, and of course, as i do anytime i pull a trailer plus a 35 pound boy, i got some good aerobic work done and some good climbing in!

Tomorrow EC and i are planning on going out to the state park and mountain biking and trail running. We are hoping to work out during the whole preschool time. I'll have to send a report. If i carry a backpack instead of a waist pack, I post some pics.

MouseDogMom
04-12-2006, 08:47 PM
I need some advice. After my 1 mile Monday, the leg hurt really bad. Tuesday it hurt worse. Today it feels almost normal. I gave it a week off last week before trying to run Monday. There are 3 weeks (plus a couple of days) till the Minnie 5k. Should I let it rest for a couple of weeks and risk going to the Minnie without really having run any distance, or try to run again in the next week to get some miles in and risk really hurting it? I've already accepted the fact that I may have to walk the whole 5k, but I'd rather not. Before the injury, I was running about 1/3 of the time and walking 2/3, for about a 13:00 pace. I'm so depressed - I was so excited about running my first race, especially at WDW, and this is really driving me crazy!

Carrie - Good news about your FIL. Hope he continues to improve!

Dave - Hope your shins feel better SOON!

Sunny - Yea for 600 lbs!

Kim/Hockeychic - Health is important too - even more reason to run!

Oh - I just have to share. DD is on the JV soccer team, and they're just horrible. They've lost every game this season, and until tonight they hadn't even scored a goal. Tonight they FINALLY got ONE goal!

Jackie

Minnie
04-12-2006, 10:19 PM
WE ARE BOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are going to WDW for the Flower & Garden Show!!!!!!!!!!

We leave one month from tomorrow. Our date are May 13 - May 15th.

I booked the Pop because it was about all that was left except for suites at an AP rate.

We go back in July for a week for a stay at the BC/WL :banana:

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool1: :thumbsup2 :sunny: :) :teeth: :banana:

TEK224
04-12-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi everybody! Not a good week for me.

I've been :mad: and :worried: and :sad1: , sometimes all at the same time over a dumb car! (Couldn't find a smiley for aggravation or I'd have included that one, too!). But my pity party is over. Not much I can do about it anyway. I have to call the insurance company tomorrow and find out how much they're going to allow for my car. I know it's not going to be much.
But I've been moping all week and it's time to get over it.

So tomorrow, I'm getting back to my work-outs and better eating (can't believe some of the things I ate this week. Probably gained 5-10 pounds.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Now I just need :wizard: that i can find a replacement car for a reasonable price.

Carrie - Good news about FIL! :thumbsup2

Dave - Sorry to hear about the shin problems. They can be really painful. Hope they feel better for you soon.

Tiff - If you're running at WDW in May, just remember to keep up your sodium intake. When I did the triathlon in 2004, that was my downfall (well -one of them). I was trying so hard to hydrate (before and during the race) that I overhydrated and flushed the salt out of my system. I had cramps in my calves that had me close to tears.

Cam - Glad to hear your son's was a smash! Good luck finding the right running shoes. I'm about to start looking for a new pair. Want to break them in before the DL half.

Kim - Good Luck in Boston!

Sunny - 600 pounds!! You go girl! :woohoo: :worship:

Gotta Go!
Terri

Lisa loves Pooh
04-13-2006, 01:42 AM
I need some advice. After my 1 mile Monday, the leg hurt really bad. Tuesday it hurt worse. Today it feels almost normal. I gave it a week off last week before trying to run Monday. There are 3 weeks (plus a couple of days) till the Minnie 5k. Should I let it rest for a couple of weeks and risk going to the Minnie without really having run any distance, or try to run again in the next week to get some miles in and risk really hurting it?

What is your injury?

Have you had it looked at by a doctor?

What has your distance history been?

(sorry--I've ducked out for a long time so gotta get brought up to speed).

If after a week off--it is still hurting you--and you haven't gotten it checked out, you need to get it checked. (But I don't know what it is--so this is a generic response).

I would take 3 days off--and try again. The MOMENT it starts hurting---walk.

Then do not attempt to run again until race day.

If walking doesn't hurt--I would simply on a very relaxed schedule--walk your training sessions.

I don't know your training history or the ailment, so these are pretty generic responses.

But basically--if it hurts--rest.

And if you have to walk the event--do so. Sometimes forcing through an injury unnecessarily not only makes it worse, but it can make you unable to do the sport for good.

ETA: 2005 marathon--I had to take 3 weeks off at the end of training b/c I injured my sacrum (lower back above tail bone). My coach told me it is the cumulative training that matters...not the final days. Of course that is a much longer training schedule (18-20 weeks). So that was about 1/6th or so of training at the end. Just to give you an idea.

Mouse Skywalker
04-13-2006, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the good wishes on my shins. I know it's small potatoes to some of the things people are going through around here, but it's kind of got me down. I did 30 min on the elliptical yesterday, lots of stretching afterwards and trying to strengthen my shins with elastic bands.

I was reading the description of shins spints on Cool Running, and the posterior shin spints describes my situation pretty well. Here's their description.

Posterior Shin Splints

Description:
Pain on the inner side of your leg, right where the calf muscle meets the big shin bone. If the pain is severe, you may have strained this area enough to cause a stress fracture in the tibia. If this is the case you should see a doctor immediately.

Likely causes:
You've strained a muscle that gives some support to the arch of your foot (the muscle runs from the shin bone around the ankle and attaches behind the ball of the foot). You probably have flat feet.

Then I looked at the description of flat feet and found this which also describes me pretty well.
Symptoms might include tired, sore feet (particularly on the bottom); lower back pain; pain in the arch; or tired legs.

I made an appointment with an orthopaedist/sports medicine physician for next week. I'll be curious to hear what he has to say. It's really frustrating. I've taken my training very slowly, I stretch religiously after running, do exercises to strengthen my shins, and do yoga once a week too. Some of my friends just say "well, you're getting old, you can't run, better find something else to do." But I don't wanna do something else. I want to run. I like to run. I want to run races. I want to run the WDW Marathon.

Thanks for listening to my vent. All my best to everyone on the TEAM.

TiffJ
04-13-2006, 06:37 AM
Terri-thanks for the advise. I had forgotten about sodium. I've already been telling mom & best friend coming with me that we have to hydrate a couple of days before race & eat bannanas for our electrolytes now I'll add sodium intake too. Hmm, I guess that means going to the mexican restaurant & eating a bowl full of salty chips with cheese dip :teeth: Good luck with the car situation.

Minnie-congrats on booking your trip! I know you are thrilled. We have been a couple of times & the F&G show is really pretty.

MDM-I havent been at this long enough to offer any real advise. Except dont push yourself too hard & get hurt worse :wizard: Congrats on DD soccer :cheer2:

MelR-have fun with EC. You guys amaze me with all that you do

Today is xt so I'm not sure if I'm swimming or doing WATP tape. Tomorrow kids are out of school so best friend & I are taking our kids to Chattanooga & going to the aquarium. I haven't been in along time so it should be a fun day trip. DH gets to go on an overnight golf trip. I can't begrudge him that when I have Minnie weekend right around the corner, he just has to be home in time for "Easter eve".

MelRhoads
04-13-2006, 07:53 AM
Dave - Sorry about the shin frustration. Don't throw in the towell. Maybe you need different shoes for running and for everyday use. I will tell you that I go through periods of "injury" What I mean by that is, sometimes, my right ankle hurts for weeks in the same spot, sometimes it is the insided of my right knee. For about 50 days it was my left buttock. Right now it is my right ankle and right arch (They will usually last for weeks during periods of intense training) They usually stop when I taper for a race, but then when i get cranking again, it's someplace new. Don't know if that helps at all, but i thought i would tell you about it.

Tiff - the aquarium sounds fun! The boy always loves that. We have to drive so far to get to one that we generally only go on vacation.

aladdinsgirl
04-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Good morning everyone!!! :sunny: Hines and I did our 4 miles last night, we were a pinch slower doing it in 55 minutes. I could tell Hines was walking a little slower, I couldn't tell if it was the weather (it was about 15 degree warmer yesterday) or if the back to back runs are starting to wear on him. I may give him a break and only do 3 miles tonight. :teeth:

Melissa--Do you ever stop? Just reading everything that you do makes me tired!!!

Dave--Sorry about the shin pain, I definitely think it's more than regular shin splints. :wizard: for a quick recovery!!

Sunny--600 pounds?!?!? :earseek: :earseek: :earseek: Wow!!! You are officially the woman!!!!

Jackie--Sorry about your foot! Trust me I know how you feel!! I think you should go ahead and walk the 5K, you'll find that once you start walk training, it's really quite nice. I definitely want to get back to running too and I'm anxious for my knee to heal itself, but I've found that training to walk a half marathon really isn't so bad. The only bad part is that I'm eating like I'm still running, but not I'm not burning as many calories!! :blush:

Minnie-- :cheer2: :cheer2: Yay!!! I'm still crossing my fingers for our May trip. Delta is supposed to decide on Tuesday if they are striking or not.

Terri-- :hug:

Well, I think I'm going to head back to looking for more 5K's and 10K's this summer. My goal after the Flying Pig and before marathon training is to get a really good 5K time. Talk to you all later!!

Jen117
04-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Last night after my out of town meeting, I stopped at running shoe store (shoes only) and had them check out my feet. I got new shoes... Asics Nimbus. Anyone have these. Oh they feel heavenly. I can't wait to try them out, hopefully tonight. I was wearing Nikes, but they didn't have much cushion and I have high arches. My feet are kind of cruddy!

Work has not been very good for me emotionally... it is draining me because of issues. I am suffering from headaches and exhaustion (most likely caused by some depression). I just hate it. And I haven't been out to running for a couple of days because I have no time. Maybe my new shoes will make me fly... Oh and hubby gasped at the price, but I gotta do what I gotta do to make this running thing a success!

andromedaslove
04-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Hello everyone, just wanted to pop in and say Hello!! It's so funny, with everything we have had to deal with lately, I looked at DH the other day and told him that I was afraid to even tell anyone about our latest development. I told him no one would believe that we could have such bad luck!! So I decided to wait until everything was ok, before telling you guys.

I already told everyone that we went to Solantic on Saturday because DH and I were feeling so bad. While we were there they took x-rays and gave us a bunch of medicine. I thought that was pretty much it. Here take your medicine have a wonderful life!! Not even close. So Monday I get a phone call from the doctor at Solantic. Obviously the radiologist has looked at the x-rays since we left on Saturday and sees something wrong with mine. The Radiologist see something that looks like a "density" in my left lung, and they want me to come back in for another x-ray just to make sure it isn't a shadow of some kind.

So I have my Mom watch the kids and go in for another x-ray. When they are done taking the x-ray the doctor (NOT the Radiologist) looks at the x-ray and tells me that it is definately not a shadow and that I need to go see my regular doctor because she can't tell if this "mass" is in my breast tissue or my lungs. I leave there and immediately call my doctor and set up an appt for 2pm the next day (the earliest they could see me), and smoke my last cigarette (last as in I don't want anymore, not in I don't have anymore). I keep trying to tell myself that everything is gonna be fine, but I have to admit I was still a bit scared.

Anyway, the next day I go to the dr. appt and talk to him. Slantic sent me with a disc that they had put the x-rays on and a report about the fist x-ray. My doc couldn't pull up the x-rays on his computer and really needed the report for the second x-rays in order to know anything. So, he said they would call Solantic and talk to them and call me when they knew anything. When the finally do call me, it turns out that when the Radiologist looked at the second x-ray that everything was perfectly normal. So, all of my worry and freakin' out was over nothing.

Some good things came from it though. I haven't had a cigarette since Monday, so this is what?! 4 whole days without a cigarette. :cheer2: I have also realized that there are absolutely no pictures of me whatsoever. I am always the one taking the pictures. That is something that is gonna have to be remedied. If anything ever happens to me I want to know that there will be pictures to remind my kids of me (especially the baby).

I still haven't run. Although I am feeling much better I am gonna wait until Monday!! It's hard when you are sick to keep yourself from going out there and pushing too hard. All you wanna do is feel better, and when you aren't excersizing at all you feel like crap. I am gonna make myself wait though just to be sure!! Thanks everyone for all of your well wishes!! Goodness knows I have been needing them!!

Take care everyone, I'll talk to you all later!!

Dana

TnTsParty
04-13-2006, 02:44 PM
WE ARE BOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are going to WDW for the Flower & Garden Show!!!!!!!!!!

We leave one month from tomorrow. Our date are May 13 - May 15th.

I booked the Pop because it was about all that was left except for suites at an AP rate.

We go back in July for a week for a stay at the BC/WL :banana:

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool1: :thumbsup2 :sunny: :) :teeth: :banana:

Cool we will be there same time!! I am actually thinking about reserving at the Pop for the night of the 14th but don't have it reserved yet (better get to that soon!!) I didn't end up getting AP rate at WL but got FL resident rate (a little higher ($10 more total for the 2 nights but that is better than rack rate!!) I am so excited I can't wait. We are also planning on going back for Food & Wine Festival in Oct (actually for the Race for the Taste 10k)

MelRhoads
04-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Dana - sorry that you have had so much going on. I'm glad that your second set of tests turned out well. I hop that you are able to recover and increase your activity to the level you want. Congrats on the stopping smoking!!

Krista - Hines will thank you for the exercise later (ha, ha, not really) I'm sure he really enjoys all the good sniffing he gets done on his walks though!

Today we mountain biked 16 miles of single track trails. It took about 2:42. It was a pretty good workout. Good for upper body. I didn't really get that aerobically tired, but i did work on mt. biking technique. Of course, i fell twice. EC fell once, but she didn't bleed! I did. The crummy thing aobut falling for me, besides the obvious, is that I always fall on the right side and hit my rear derailler. Why can't i crash on a cheap part of my bike??

TEK224
04-13-2006, 04:09 PM
Dana - I'm so glad things weren't as you feared. Congrats on your 4 days w/o a cigarette. Keep it up! :thumbsup2

I got about 45 minutes of workout time in this morning and hope to do another session tonight.

Terri

gradtchr
04-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Dana-great job with four days! Those four days will become even more before you know it.

lilouisianagal
04-13-2006, 06:01 PM
I haven't fallen off of the face of the earth--I promise! I've just been really busy and away from internet (and cell phone) connections. I had a super awesome run while I was on retreat (there were HILLS!--I about died)! And today I went on a 14 miler--whew! Tomorrow is a rest day, then Saturday is Crescent City Connection. I'm so psyched! (yes I just used the word "psyched" mwahahahaha!). Anywho, I still need to read back over the last week (or two?). *skips off*

icunurse_celeste
04-13-2006, 09:31 PM
Just doing a quick post before I finish my homework & go to bed- I booked a room at the Contemporary for Marathon weekend- hopefully I won't be tempted to run into the hotel & not finish...LOL.

Kidding aside, I plan on having my husband & son watch as I run by and watch my husband run by when he does the full the next day!

Minnie
04-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Krista – When is your trip planned for. :wizard: on the flight situation.

TnTsParty – We love the WL. We will be staying there as part of our split trip with the BC in July. I am sure you will have a wonderful stay. Be sure to pat Humphrey’s nose!

jodistar
04-13-2006, 10:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post here - no work out tonight.....another rest night, I'm hoping to get out and run tomorrow directly after work.

Tonight was weigh in at Weight Watchers - I weighed in at 120.6, which for me was a very good thing but when it was found out at the meeting everyone told me that I was getting too skinny.....my ultimate goal was to have a weight of 110 or 115 probably closer to 115 but now the leader at Weight Watchers doesn't want me to lose anymore. What am I going to do? :confused3 Next week, since I've maintained my weight for 6 weeks I will be getting my Lifetime member stuff :thumbsup2 - just a little nervous about it though.....these people are afraid that I'm becoming too skinny.

I've been down at 110 before and I didn't look too skinny - and that is when I felt my best - so my question is can they throw you out for losing more weight than they would like? Does anyone know? Keep in mind.....I am only 5 ''1".

Just a little bit bummed after the meeting :guilty:

Gotta run,

Jodi

icunurse_celeste
04-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just a quick post here - no work out tonight.....another rest night, I'm hoping to get out and run tomorrow directly after work.

Tonight was weigh in at Weight Watchers - I weighed in at 120.6, which for me was a very good thing but when it was found out at the meeting everyone told me that I was getting too skinny.....my ultimate goal was to have a weight of 110 or 115 probably closer to 115 but now the leader at Weight Watchers doesn't want me to lose anymore. What am I going to do? :confused3 Next week, since I've maintained my weight for 6 weeks I will be getting my Lifetime member stuff :thumbsup2 - just a little nervous about it though.....these people are afraid that I'm becoming too skinny.

I've been down at 110 before and I didn't look too skinny - and that is when I felt my best - so my question is can they throw you out for losing more weight than they would like? Does anyone know? Keep in mind.....I am only 5 ''1".

Gotta run,

Jodi

If you are 5'1- 115 is probably not too thin. I was looking at some charts which refernce not only BMI, but belly fat, and some others, I who am 5'5" should probably weigh close to 115.

Minnie
04-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Jodi - I don't know anything about ww but I don't think your goals are out of line. At 5'1 your weight goals will be lower than most other people. I'm 5'4 and before I gained my weight back I was down around 120 and it was very comfortable to me. Many people said I was too skinny but you have to comfortable with your self. Oh to be 120 again :rolleyes:

I didn't expect to get any exercise in today but I ended up and went for a fast paced walk with two ladies at work during lunch and was still amazed at how much I have lost in my abilities. It was good to just put some steps in but still.... My back/hip was sore afterward but since we walked on concrete the entire time I was sort of expecting it. Darn back disks anyways....

Oh well I'm only 30 days from Disney :banana:

Lisa loves Pooh
04-14-2006, 12:52 AM
Hi Everyone,

Gotta run,

Jodi

Oh--I'm sorry you are bummed.

YOu may try toning up---or considering raising your goals.

Check your BMI to make sure your body fat % is in the proper levels.

For some reason--when I hit 130 people think I am too skinny. In fact--my mom once thought I was anorexic :confused3 . My weight range can go down to 119. So I don't get it.

However--I am medium boned--especially in the hip area--and even though i may be overweight--my upper body looks completely normal.

So just check BMI and make sure that is at a healthy level and then don't worry about it.

Just checked for your height on a non-WW site and this is what they had to say:

According to your height of 5' 1" your ideal healthy weight is 105 pounds. Your recommended weight range is between 105 and 132 pounds.

I'm not sure where you started--but on a small frame--a small amount can seem like a lot and could be skewing their observation.

jodistar
04-14-2006, 05:48 AM
Thanks Celeste, Minnie, Lisa Loves Pooh - It makes me feel better that I'm not totally crazy. Last night, everytime I went to say well maybe it is because of my training that I look even thinner but I've been within my points everyday, I kept on getting interrupted by the leader.

But then again - Weight Watchers asked why I was even there to begin with (and I started at 140 - overweight for my frame). :confused3

Thanks everyone for letting me vent :goodvibes

Jodi

goofyguy1958
04-14-2006, 07:34 AM
jodistar, first off, GREAT JOB on the weight loss and maintaining it! :thumbsup2 As was already posted you are well within your suggested weight when using BMI and American Heart Association standards even at the 110 to 115 weight range. In my opinion, there might be a bit of concern at your WW group that others may feel intimidated by your success and are trying to make themselves feel better by convincing you your "too skinny." Just my opinion but taken from years of observation and comments that I have received about not looking "healthy" when in peak training mode. Again, GREAT JOB and keep up the effort!

OK, now to my training, if the Garmin is even close to accurate, I now understand why I always suffer on my runs at lunch time. I went out yesterday and did my normal 4.2 mile loop (confirmed by Garmin) in 29:56 or 7:11 per mile. The course is very open with almost no tree or building coverage so losing the signal should not be an issue. Are these things accurate and am I actually running faster than I thought I have been?

aladdinsgirl
04-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Good morning everyone. Am I the only one working today??? I gave Hines a break and we only did 3 miles last night. We finished in 41 minutes (I forget the exact time), but by 2.5 miles, I was dragging Hines behind me. We had just gotten home from his obedience/personal protection class, so he was tired before we even started. I'm taking today off and tomorrow is 10 miles. By the end of tomorrow I will have walked 30 miles this week. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Minnie--If everything goes as planned, we will arrive in Orlando late May 11 and then we leave on May 16. I really hope we are able to go, May is my favorite time of the year to visit WDW (other than Oct for the F&W festival). And I'm really excited because Davy Jones is doing the Flower Power concert series that weekend!! :thumbsup2

Jodi--I don't think you would be or are underweight at all. I am 5'1 and I weigh about 112 pounds and I don't look too skinny at all, in fact I could probably lose another 5 lbs and still be okay. I have never done WW, so I don't know their requirements and what they might do if you are "too skinny". Congrats on making your liftime goal!!

Goofguy--Running too fast? What a problem to have! :teeth:

Well, I'm off to sit and do nothing at work. Happy Easter everyone!!!!

jodistar
04-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Good morning everyone. Am I the only one working today??? I gave Hines a break and we only did 3 miles last night. We finished in 41 minutes (I forget the exact time), but by 2.5 miles, I was dragging Hines behind me. We had just gotten home from his obedience/personal protection class, so he was tired before we even started. I'm taking today off and tomorrow is 10 miles. By the end of tomorrow I will have walked 30 miles this week. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Well, I'm off to sit and do nothing at work. Happy Easter everyone!!!!

Nope - I'm at work also.....I can only hope that it flys by today! I plan on pretty much doing nothing also :teeth: . Have a great Easter!

goofyguy1958
04-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Nope, I am also at work but, unfortunately, I will be super busy today - Fridays are nuts here - because we are running at about 1/3 staff with anticipated 50% in work load starting at 10 AM.

crzy4pooh
04-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Jodi - First of all, CONGRATS on making lifetime!!!! That is a huge achievement!!!! :cool1:
I will preface this by saying that I do work for WW - I am a receptionist (inspite of being over my goal due to health issues over the last year... :rolleyes1 ) Your range for 5'1'' is 106 - 132. This is on page 7 of your welcome book. We don't go by the age requirements - only the outside ranges. If you go below the bottom number, we must warn you, and you could potentially be released from WW - that is not healthy, and some people do become obsessed with their weight loss to the point of being anorexic. 110 - 115 is well within your range - unless your leader is concerned with how fast you are losing, I can't imagine encouraging you to not lose any more. Once you make lifetime, you can continue to lose, but don't go below that bottom number.

As for wondering why you were at ww in the first place, I have had several newbies in the past few weeks that simply want to learn to eat healthy. They are already in their range, but don't eat right, still have cholesterol problems, etc. In order to make lifetime, you must lose 5 pounds, and still be within your range. For some people, those 5 pounds are incredibly hard to lose. Any loss is a great achievement, and only you know what weight you are most comfortable with, and where you feel the best. Please don't be discouraged! You are doing awesome!!!!

Also, keep in mind that because of all your exercise, 110 now may be a smaller size than 110 before. You probably are more toned and have more muscle mass than before. It's not all about the number - how do you feel physically? What is your optimum weight to achieve your fitness goals? Where do you feel the best about yourself? I know that when I got to my goal (the uppermost number in my range), people told me I was too thin, also. Because I was training for the half at the time, my size at my weight was smaller than most others at my weight. In fact, the weigher, the greeter, and I had this exact conversation after last night's meeting. We had all been told we were too thin at our goal weights (and we are all now over our goal weights...) Anyway, all that to say - you may want to focus on your measurements/body fat percentage instead of the number on the scale.

Sorry this is soooo long - I didn't mean for it to be. :blush: WW is pretty important to me, and I hate to see people discouraged when they are working so hard! Keep up the great work!!! YEA for LIFETIME!!!!! :banana:

--Lynnda :thumbsup2

Kristi1357
04-14-2006, 09:24 AM
I have been MIA the past few days and I can't keep up with the 3 pages I missed here! I am a crazy Goo Goo Dolls fan and was able to see them on a cruise for a radio station here in Boston on Weds.! :love: Johnny Rzeznik, need I say more?

ANYWAY, I did not do my scheduled crosstraining on Weds. Yesterday I did my 3 miler in 41:59. Not a good time at all. I felt so tired doing it! I am just glad I am under that 15 min/mile. That is really my only concern for the Minnie - I just want to finish!

Minnie
04-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Krista - Another Wisher that is going to be in the "World" at the sametime :cool1:

:wizard: that your plane tickets work out for you! I've never been during the Flower Show and I am very excited :banana:

And nope you aren't the only one working. I'm here today too but only until 1pm then we are closing the office.

Happy Easter everyone :flower1:

Mouse Skywalker
04-14-2006, 09:55 AM
Good Morning Everyone: I just wanted to stop by to wish the TEAM a Happy Easter. We're heading down to Pittsburgh this weekend to visit Grandma. I'm not sure if I'm going to run or not this weekend. I thought I might give my legs/shins a few days rest, but I packed my running stuff just in case.

Jen117
04-14-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm at work for 1/2 day. I have lots to do, but not a lot of energy to do it!!!! There is a lot of family drama right now, so I may be packing my shoes when I go to my parents. It's supposed to rain, but my dad has a treadmill. I just may be using it!!!!

HAPPY EASTER ALL!!!

MelRhoads
04-14-2006, 10:11 AM
Goofyguy - As far as the garmin's accuracy, mine generally gives me a little faster pace than i think i really do if the course is measured correctly. it seems to be more off on longer distances. In fact, according to the garmin, i've never done a marathon shorter than 26.7 miles (which would make my pace look faster) If you know your route and are sure of the distance, i would compare it to your garmin just to see if it is on. Either way, you were BOOKIN' IT!!!!!! Way to go, Speedy :teeth:

Jodi - congrats on making you liftetime goal. that is awesome!

goofyguy1958
04-14-2006, 12:58 PM
MelRhoads, you hit on my biggest point of confusion the actual distance. I have clocked the course in a car and it has come up at between 4.2 and 4.2 on each of the 3 times I did this. Now either I am faster than I thought or the Garmin's stopwatch mode is moving faster than time itself :confused3 . Anyways, I really like it and am pleased with my effort.

KeriZ
04-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Congrats everyone on a great week. You are all very inspirational to me. Just finished my 13.5 km run today in 1:37. It was a little longer as there was quite a few big hills today. Feeling OK about the Minnie. I know I can finish but getting a little nervous because I won't have my two friends around to motivate me.

Have a happy Easter everyone.

Keri Z

MelRhoads
04-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Goofyguy - sounds like you are just fast!!!!!!! I'm thinking that the stopwatch mode has to be right! There should be no reason for it to be affected by satellite reception or guestimates. If you really want to test the course distance, I think the most accurate way is to use a bike w/ a cyclometer that is calibrated for your wheel size. (but, hey, I'm not ever going to be very fast, so I never mess w/ this b/c I don't have the potential to run for speed anyway. I think the words that might best describe my running are "I'm not fast, I'm just stubborn!" come to think of it, that pretty much describes me biking, paddling, mt. biking and swimming :teeth: )

I'm hoping to get to go on a run this afternoon. I just took the boy to wal-mart to pick out all the little goodies for his b-day party tomorrow. I think I should have taken a gel or sport beans or something, b/c I got so shakey and then frustrated and felt a little impatient and hostile. I'm thinking I need to remember that shopping w/ a kid in a "supercenter" is like an endurance event. I've eaten some pizza and scavenged the left-overs from his lunchable, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to catch up!

plutosmyfav
04-14-2006, 06:21 PM
Dana, I'm so sorry to hear your health issues. I'm glad you got the x-rays and have a course of action. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: Sending PD your way.

Goofyguy-- my Garmin always says I went faster than my chip time. Like MelR, it also always says I covered more distance. In a race, some of it is due to weaving, but some is just plain error. Its still a great training tool and way cool toy!

Yesterday was a terrible work day. I sat at my computer for 10 hours straight. :furious: I literally only got up 3 times to use the bathroom. Today I decided to cut out early to run. At 3:45 I got a voice mail saying they need me to implement all sorts of new junk in the system for next week's field test... That was mad funny, 'cause I was already planning my splits :teeth: So I darted out. Its gonna have to wait 'till tuesday. Monday is a holiday here for Patriot's day and the MARATHON!

I got in 7 miles. The weather was awsome. Garmin couldn't find its satellites until 3.6 miles into the run :confused3 I was a bit irritated, but I decided to make it a fun "no expectations" run anyway.

Happy LRing :sunny:

Sunny

perfectmatch300
04-15-2006, 12:18 AM
I'm still here, training for the Minnie 5K and trying to keep up with all your posts!

I think we should plan a WISH meet at the Davy Jones Flower Power concert! We saw him last year. He was awesome! We plan to see him again this year! :flower1: party: :flower1:

TiffJ
04-15-2006, 07:18 AM
Nancy-I was IN LOVE with Davy Jones when I was a kid :lovestruc My 2 friends that are coming had registered for the 15k but have not been training so are now considering doing the 5k so I may be there too to cheer them on. I thought about doing both races, but I dont want to hurt my ankle on the 5k and not be able to do the 15k since that one is my goal. See you soon!!

Sunny-I know work has been rough for you lately. Hope you have a great LW (long weekend :goodvibes )

MelR-you are so right. Wally World with kids is definately an endurance event :crazy:

Dave-have a great weekend & it might be a good idea to rest those shins.

My best friends & I took the kids to Chattanooga today since they had the day off from school. We went to the aquarium, played outside in the water play area, ate Ben & Jerry's & they had a really good time. It was a great day. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

MelRhoads
04-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Sunny - I'm glad you are getting some spring weather and starting to enjoy your LR again!!!!! You're back baby!

Krista - on the abcnews.com site under to world news tonight link, hines ward is the person of the week. I thought you might want to know. I was pretty proud of myself (I'm not very media savvy, so I usually have no idea who it is, especially if it is a diplomat or someone like that) This week I was feeling especially smart, b/c I know who Hines ward is. (I wouldn't know it if it werent for you!!!)

I did get to do 4 miles of gravel road yesterday. My pace was just under 10:00 min miles and I found someone to run the last 2 miles w/ me so that was pretty nice. I have the boy's b'day party today so I'm pretty much in rest mode for the weekend. Ahhh.... rest.

Speaking of rest, how ya' doin' Kim? Is the taper madness subsidiing?

Tiger Lily 03
04-15-2006, 12:15 PM
I can't believe I've not posted this week. I am sorry.

I can't remember everything I've read this week exactly.

Want to say glad to hear about FIL recovering. Hope he is done with these major issues. Dave, sorry about shins. Don't give up. Good luck at docs. Cam, good news about DS and that it was a hit! LLP, glad you've come back! MelR, all those falls, makes me scared to get up on my bike. Can't wait though. Weather is finally ok and my bike riding is more like the style of Elmira Gulch or whatever her name is that played the "Wicked Witch of the West" in Wizard of Oz. But, I'm ok with that. I've even got a carrier on the back to take my minpin with me. :teeth: Whoever posted about the work thing being a very overwhelming/depressing thing. :hug: I am going through issues with my place right now. It will not improve either. Krista, Flying Pig is coming up soon. Good luck with it. I'd like to play with that some day.

Happy training to all. For those celebrating, Happy Easter! For those not celebrating, Happy Easter! anyway.

Keep on keepin' on!

Thunder thunder thunderation!
We're the WISH Team delegation.
When we move with determination,
We create a Great sensation!

lilouisianagal
04-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Whew finished the Crescent City Classic 10K YAY! By their time I finished 1:20 on the nose, by my Garmin I finished 1:17:30. 14,000 people is a lot of people to get over a start line. It was a fun race. Nice and flat. Little on the humid side, but nice temp-wise and there were a few breezes and lots of shade. There were also these really nice people with hoses along the couse :love: . I did learn though that WDW pampers us a bit on two accounts: hand sanitizer in the portopotties and having lots and lots of portopotties at the start. There were woefully few potties per persons at the starting line. And they ran out of medium and small shirts. But they had free smoothies YUM! And I got my first post race massage :cloud9: oh yeah! That felt good. I didn't get to see Anne :confused3 though, b/c of all the people. Overall a fun race and I will definitely do it again.

TEK224
04-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Claire - Congrats! :banana: Glad you had a great time and a great race!

Terri

perfectmatch300
04-15-2006, 11:04 PM
Wow! A quiet day around here! Where is everybody? Hopefully having a good holiday weekend with family & friends. Happy Easter everyone.

I did some cross training today, then an easy swim - only went 600 meters but it was fun.

Tiff, I'll be looking for you at the 5K, then. I shouldn't be too hard to spot. I will be the slow one at the back of the pack. :teeth:

Claire, great job on your 10K! I think I'd love people with hoses, too! :banana: :cheer2:

Lisa loves Pooh
04-16-2006, 07:22 AM
I did learn though that WDW pampers us a bit on two accounts: hand sanitizer in the portopotties and having lots and lots of portopotties at the start. .

I read this as:

"hand sanitizers in the potpourris"---

Yep--they do pamper us at Disney. :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Glad to hear the CCC is relatively flat---what about the bridge?

chimera
04-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Come join us for a new week!

Wk of Apr 16--2007 WISH Walking/Running Club (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=12318332#post12318332)

DJBounce
04-18-2006, 06:21 AM
Question about the Awards Ceremony Sunday Night:

What's it like? Is it a party type atmosphere with music, food, drink? Or do they just acknowledge the winners and end it there? Is it worth going to?
Just wondering.

wtpclc
04-18-2006, 08:51 AM
DJ - It' sjust that the boards with results are posted at DTD. This year it was VERY cold, so we checked the results and left.

Please join us on this week's thread. The link is in CHimera's post above you.