PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Workout....Need Some Help...Not Getting it From the Hubby....

VelvetGloves
04-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Hello again.

I posted not too long ago about jogging, and I thank those that replied. I think jogging would be a positive exercise for me. In the past, I worked out with free weights, throwing in sit ups and push ups. I figure whichever workout I choose, it will run about thirty minutes or so.

What I need now is some opinions. As far as it goes, I'm very happy with myself for cleaning up my eating habits. Now, I need to make exercise a part of my life. In the past, I only did my free weights workout, and it was successful for me then. Now, I wonder if jogging would be better. Would alternating between the two still be effective?

I have no support here at home. My husband doesn't want to do either activity with me, and it is so hard. He went jogging with me one time, but he admitted to me today that I was going way too slow. Of course, I am going to be slow when I first start jogging! He can be such a weenie. He tells me all the different types of workouts I have wanted to make a part of our lives are boring. Of course, they are. If they were fun, the would be called fun-outs instead of workouts. The worst part is that he needs to get up and be more active. All he wants to do is play video games.

I'm sorry I sound so jaded. I've been lurking around this board again because you are all so positive, and I have gotten advice here in the past. I have three weeks until we go on our vacation to see his parents (No Disney this time), and I wanted to be in better shape. I have already lost 13 pounds, but I would like to lose 15 more. I know I will be unable to do that in the next three weeks, but I need to do something to get past my current weight. I've been stagnating for three weeks or more now. I'm glad I haven't put weight back on, but I'm begining to lose my conviction. On top of all that, I just went from part time to full time, so I'm a little pressed for time right now. Eventually, I'll get better with my time management, but it's not too great right now.

Well, thanks for reading my rant, and thank you for any advice you might have.

Also, congratulations to everyone....all successes are big ones.

VelvetGloves

lovinaz
04-08-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that your DH is not being supportive! Is there anyone else you can have as a workout buddy (family member, friend)? That will help tremendously.

In order to lose the weight and keep it off, you should do both cardio and strength training. So I would suggest jogging one day, weights the next day, jogging the next, etc. Do 3 cardios and 3 weight workouts per week and take a rest day.

Some other forms of cardio that are fun (and your DH might try) are bike riding, swimming, and my fave - tennis. Also, if you are able to join a gym, there are all kinds of fun fitness classes to take. Basically, whatever you do to get moving is beneficial!

Good luck! :cheer2:

mousepartygrl
04-08-2006, 02:11 PM
My DH is pretty much the same. While he supports my wanting to get out and workout - he doesn't but should ;) I went ahead and did it with out him. I would give him hints by telling that he should be happy that I care about his health and want to grow old with him.... the other one that he thought was funny was when I announced we had to up his life insurance policy :rotfl2: because his lack of exercise was putting him at risk. I think the fact that he saw me making progress helped - After a few weeks he started coming with... and the kids come too. My 5yr old rides his razor, my daughter jog/walks, and my husband walks. We don't really stay together because we are all at different paces with the exception of my little guy who sticks with one of us. We all kind of end our work out together for the 10 minute cool down.

bubba73
04-09-2006, 12:01 AM
I understand about not having a supportive spouse when it comes to siet and exercise. Heaven forbid for her to actually join me for her own health but I will not let it stop me from doing what I need to do. As far as what kind of routine, it is always best to mix in some sort of cardiovascular training with strength training. Now, the only thing that concerns me is your time factor. It usually takes 20 minutes worth of cardio to get fully warmed up so you can get the full effect. If you still need to stay within the 30 minute time frame, might I suggest doing weights on one day and cardio on another. I hope this helps and I will be happy to try to help any other way possible.

Have a great day!!

VelvetGloves
04-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to alternate between the two based mainly on the weather I think. It's that time of year when it usually rains off and on, so I can let that dictate which routine to do on a particular day.

As for jogging, do you think going for thirty minutes will be acceptable? Eventually, I hope to increase my distance and time, but I may only be able to carve out thirty minutes or so. I went out for 34 minutes yesterday, and I felt great afterwards. I also told my hubby that I would do it alone, so it's kind of a weight off of my shoulders.

Thanks again.

VelvetGloves

KathyFP
04-09-2006, 04:37 PM
One activity that we have been doing as a family is rollerskaing.

Great cardio and a lot of fun :goodvibes

VelvetGloves
04-09-2006, 07:43 PM
I love roller skating! I could never do inlines, but quads are great. Unfortunately, we recently moved, so I would have to go by myself, if I could find a rink. My husband won't take me skating because he took one of his ex girlfriends a long time ago. He's weird sometimes.

That's a great idea though....I'll make my brother go with me next time he visits!

Thanks,

VelvetGloves