PDA

View Full Version : Rumor - AK Lodge to become DVC announcement Thurs?

dcibrando
04-06-2006, 05:49 AM
There's a rumor on another disney msg board saying to look for some news reguarding new DVC at the Animal Kingdom Lodge during Thursday's press event.

New building with 3rd full service restaurant and also some conversions of 5th floor rooms.

Anyone else heard this.. or is it just something that...well... makes you go :rotfl2:

spereira
04-06-2006, 06:15 AM
I heard there was going to be an annoucement this week but the person at DVC told me he didn't know what it was about...I hope AKL turns out to be true!!!!

Jynohn
04-06-2006, 07:30 AM
I was hoping for the Polynesian, but if this rumor does turn out to be true my son will be thrilled. Anyone have an idea as to how long after a resort announcement is made that actual sales begin? It might be time to ramp up the savings for the next add-on! :teeth:

isyt
04-06-2006, 08:13 AM
I saw the same post you saw and was hoping to find out more info here, I guess will have to wait and see!!! :smooth:

bicker
04-06-2006, 08:13 AM
I cannot believe that they'd do AKL... though it is the only DVC I'd consider a futher add-on at.

spereira
04-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Anyone hear anything yet??????

Jen D
04-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Hmmm, while it already seems unlikely, the detail of a third full-service restaurant tips the credulity scales for me. They didn't feel the need to add restaurants to WL and BC when the villas were added on. With SSR they tried to cheap out and not do a restaurant at all. The dining options are already pretty well-rounded at AKL, with a good food court, excellent family buffet and great signature dining. I do wish Boma offered lunch service, maybe off-the-menu rather buffet, as there is no sit-down lunch option at AKL. But I really am not sure AKL could sustain a third restaurant, even if they did add another building.

Having said that and expressed my complete disbelief... I loves me some good crazy rumors and I'd love AKL Villas!

Do we have any links for sources or is that not kosher?

Jen D
04-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Oh, hi again. I don't think they took the "low cost road" overall with SSR, but I do think they thought that since there was so much dining available at DD, there wouldn't be the demand for an onsite restaurant and they could spare themselves at the cost. Of course, guests and members felt differently and they responded to the demand and added one.

DVCLiz
04-06-2006, 01:26 PM
When is the press event supposed to take place?

Stitch 03
04-06-2006, 01:40 PM
The press event is happening today and tomorrow. The announcement will be by AL Weiss tomorrow at 12:30. This info from Allears.

Apparently the rumor was posted on WDW Magic and is being referenced on forums at Mice Age as well as here.

I am not sure I belive this rumor, though I wish it were true. We will find out soon enough though.

The 3rd restaurant does make alot of sense though. Both Jiko and Boma are usually at capacity and there are no other close by dining options (as present at SSR). The addition of a new building would require more food service.

nelle
04-06-2006, 01:49 PM
That would be cool!!! That would be the only other resort that I would buy more points at (unless the poly :thumbsup2 ). O'well I'm sure it's just a rumor :guilty: .

cobbler
04-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Huh, interesting.

Anyone have a link to the press release about the restaurant addition?

bpmorley
04-06-2006, 01:52 PM
I heard it was either Villas at The Animal Kingdom or Contemporary Villas. I would buy in a heartbeat to either. Not that I don't like SSR, but I would really enjoy those 2.

web surfer
04-06-2006, 01:54 PM
This would be a great addition to DVC and would provide yet another option of top shelf quality.

Horace Horsecollar
04-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Here's the article about the Walt Disney Company's presentation to the Central Florida community leaders today:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060406/1269795.html

According to the article, "There were no announcements regarding any changes, growth or expansion for the Central Florida resort, which employs 57,000 people."

Stitch 03
04-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Here's the article about the Walt Disney Company's presentation to the Central Florida community leaders today:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060406/1269795.html

According to the article, "There were no announcements regarding any changes, growth or expansion for the Central Florida resort, which employs 57,000 people."

If (and thats a big if) there is to be an announcement regarding DVC at the AKL, it will probably be tomorrow at 12:30. It is at this time, I believe, that they are expected to announce the replacement for the Tarzan show (Finding Nemo theme).

The source of the rumor can be found on the rumors forum at WDW Magic, for anyone wants to see what started it all.

DisFlan
04-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Don't anyone get your undies in a wad with excitement. The AKL rumor was started on the other board by an AKL CM. Which is, of course, always a sterling source of info. :rolleyes:

DisFlan

bpmorley
04-06-2006, 03:13 PM
rumor or not, it's nice to dream

spiceycat
04-06-2006, 03:16 PM
very nice to dream....

:lmao: :wizard: :banana: :yay:

tiffany123
04-06-2006, 03:35 PM
I don't want to squash anyone's dreams but we were told that there can be no further building near AKL because of the animal preserves there. We took a tour last spring and asked at that time if there would be future expansion of AKL. Were told that it's not possible d/t the animals around----the land is needed for their habitat and any further building would be too stressful on them. Now true, there is probably room to relocate the animals either permanently or temporarily but I don't see that happening. I think if there is any announcement of a new DVC location, it will have something to do with the Contemporary. Not even sure if an announcement is likely right now as SSR still has lots of space to sell. Sales there appear to have fallen off in recent months. So guess all we can do is wait and see if an announcement is made either tomorrow or in upcoming days/months

ryanmilla
04-06-2006, 03:59 PM
just want to subscribe in case anyone hears anything and posts it on this thread.

dianeschlicht
04-06-2006, 04:13 PM
ONe thing in that article taht gave me a ray of hope was the comment about "keeping repeat visitors" coming back. That leads me to believe that DVC is a very integral part of the future plans, so rumors like this ARE POSSIBLE, but not necessarily probable.

sajetto
04-06-2006, 04:28 PM
If its true, it will be nice for the BWV and BCV owners since it will take the pressure of those 2 resorts. I know that if an AKL DVC comes out it will be one of my top choices to stay.

bpmorley
04-06-2006, 04:31 PM
ONe thing in that article taht gave me a ray of hope was the comment about "keeping repeat visitors" coming back. That leads me to believe that DVC is a very integral part of the future plans, so rumors like this ARE POSSIBLE, but not necessarily probable.
I agree with you. highly improbable does not equal impossible

loveFL
04-06-2006, 04:32 PM
heres hope that they announce the Contemporary Villas! :thumbsup2

bpmorley
04-06-2006, 04:43 PM
heres hope that they announce the Contemporary Villas! :thumbsup2
Earlier I said I'd buy either AKL or Cont. But I think I would buy both

corinnak
04-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Ooooh. I just hope they announce something! Rumors and dreams are great, but an actual announcement is even cooler!

What do you guys make of this? "The new area around Expedition Everest in Animal Kingdom has created a whole new land." Sounds like they are going to do more over in that neighborhood! :teeth:

CarolA
04-06-2006, 04:48 PM
I cannot believe that they'd do AKL... though it is the only DVC I'd consider a futher add-on at.

Add on.... Heck I am calling TSS and putting 400 points on the market and starting over. (Well maybe I'll keep my 150 BCV)

I could care less about the monorail (slow and stinky IMHO), but I LOVE AKL!!!!!

lisareniff
04-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks Stitch! I'll be putting my ears on at 12:30 tomorrow!

CR, AKL and DL are all very posible next DVC's. I have heard (from various boards) that they have plans made up for DVC addtions to all resorts at WDW. The rumoured location was near the bus stop and to the east of the pool at AKL. I think an additional restaurant at AKL would then be needed or expand and rehab the Mara. Perhaps a more casual table service restaurant that would have lunch and dinner. I hope they would put in a quiet pool as well.

Stitch 03
04-06-2006, 05:55 PM
I still do not buy into this rumor, but hey stranger things have happened. Personally, I expect that the CRV will be announced first.

I am optimistic that there will be DVC at the AKL (just check my signature), I just figure that it is years away.

Oh what the heck... lets all root for a VAKL announcement :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

It may be a fool's dream, but at least its a dream. :thumbsup2

DiznEeyore
04-06-2006, 06:23 PM
I could care less about the monorail (slow and stinky IMHO)

:rotfl2:

Doctor P
04-06-2006, 06:24 PM
I don't want to squash anyone's dreams but we were told that there can be no further building near AKL because of the animal preserves there. We took a tour last spring and asked at that time if there would be future expansion of AKL. Were told that it's not possible d/t the animals around----the land is needed for their habitat and any further building would be too stressful on them. Now true, there is probably room to relocate the animals either permanently or temporarily but I don't see that happening. I think if there is any announcement of a new DVC location, it will have something to do with the Contemporary. Not even sure if an announcement is likely right now as SSR still has lots of space to sell. Sales there appear to have fallen off in recent months. So guess all we can do is wait and see if an announcement is made either tomorrow or in upcoming days/months

If they could build Expedition Everest, as well as the Asia section of AK after the park was built without disrupting the animals, then I don't think the reasoning is credible. There are three directions that AKL could be expanded without taking any animal habitats. Parking lots could then be extended across the road by AK if necessary. Though I do expect a resort at Contemporary to be announced first, the cost of doing it at AKL would be much cheaper than Contemporary and would have a much lower opportunity cost for Disney.

DrTomorrow
04-06-2006, 06:56 PM
A DVC Resort at AKL? That means another high-quality resort that we crafty SSR owners can fill up at 7 months.

Excellent....

bpmorley
04-06-2006, 07:10 PM
A DVC Resort at AKL? That means another high-quality resort that we crafty SSR owners can fill up at 7 months.

Excellent....
When did we SSR owners become crafty?

pinktales
04-06-2006, 07:16 PM
I would also love DVC at AKL! :cheer2: Will be checking back tomorrow to see if there is any good news! :shamrock:

byoung
04-06-2006, 07:20 PM
I also would like to see it at AK.

Sammie
04-06-2006, 07:47 PM
Well with all rumors only time will tell. I have been told many times by friends that work for Disney that the ground infrastructure was laid for DVC when AKL was built.

I was also told recently, Contemporary has not been ruled out, but is not as strong a possibility as it previously was.

bom_noite
04-06-2006, 07:50 PM
With SSR 50% sold? Aint gonna happen - not tomorrow at least!

MinnieGi
04-06-2006, 08:10 PM
I love this dream! We love the AK and have paid for visits outside our DVC points here. We would definetly buy VAKL!!!!

CarolA
04-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Well, I need to add a condition on to my sale and purchase declaration.
The VAK CANNOT be in the current parking lot.. If they don't have a savannah view just cancel the whole deal!

Doctor P
04-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Well, I need to add a condition on to my sale and purchase declaration.
The VAK CANNOT be in the current parking lot.. If they don't have a savannah view just cancel the whole deal!

Even if they built in the parking lot, they could add more savannah--gets around the disruption of animals during construction problem, LOL.

simzac
04-06-2006, 08:35 PM
With SSR 50% sold? Aint gonna happen - not tomorrow at least!
Where is it written that SSR is only 50% sold :confused3

Tinky
04-06-2006, 08:45 PM

Excellent....

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Ohhh DrT.... its been a long day and I certainly needed that!

lisareniff
04-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Well with all rumors only time will tell. I have been told many times by friends that work for Disney that the ground infrastructure was laid for DVC when AKL was built.

I was also told recently, Contemporary has not been ruled out, but is not as strong a possibility as it previously was.

Hummm. Things have shifted a little.

MrsNick
04-06-2006, 09:15 PM

Excellent....

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

bom_noite
04-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Where is it written that SSR is only 50% sold :confused3

Three very respected folks on this board came up with this estimate based on information provided at the most recent DVC Member Meetings. A few folks felt it might be shy of 50%.

Is it true? I think it is in the ballpark! So, why would they announce a new resort that would impact sales?

If this rumor turns out to be true, then, the only thing I could speculate is that they would have two alternative offerings at different price tiers. VAK would be priced high ($125 to $130 a point) and SSR would stay in the existing range.

Who knows!

nicky mouse
04-06-2006, 11:13 PM
When I called to put down a deposit on my SSR purchase the guide went through the list of what DVC included and he said use of existing and future DVC resorts. I asked if there were any plans yet and he said they were looking and to expect an announcement in 4 or 5 months. So I'm doubting there will be one tomorrow, but maybe soon.

DrTomorrow
04-06-2006, 11:37 PM
When I called to put down a deposit on my SSR purchase the guide went through the list of what DVC included and he said use of existing and future DVC resorts. I asked if there were any plans yet and he said they were looking and to expect an announcement in 4 or 5 months. So I'm doubting there will be one tomorrow, but maybe soon.

I know I'm being cynical again (need that trip to Vegas next week and SSR end of May) but what else is guide supposed to say? If s/he sais "Why yes, we were planning on keeping the next DVC Resort secret for 6 more months, but what the heck, I'll tell you right now!" then s/he'll be outta there so fast your head would spin. And if they say (right when the customer is ready to put down a deposit) "Why no, nope, nosiree bob, no more DVC resorts" then the customer lets out a dejected "Oh" and a sigh.

Disney benefits from not promising anything while simultaneously not ruling anything out....

IMHO - YMMV

Johnnyfairplay
04-07-2006, 06:18 AM
When did we SSR owners become crafty?

They will look pretty crafty when they are still using DVC for the extra 12 years. They will aslo look crafty when the DVC population ages and people are clamoring to get in there for the golf and the access to DTD. Remember, travel plans change as the kds grow up. This is the reason I just added on there.

johnny

MrShiny
04-07-2006, 06:25 AM
The Expedition Everest opening a whole new land comment probably refers to their plans for the new "Asia" restaurant.

Doctor P
04-07-2006, 06:46 AM
My comment was that the Asia section of AK was built after the park opened (it opened in late 1999 as I recall, well after the rest of the park opened).

dianeschlicht
04-07-2006, 07:51 AM
There was also another planned land for AK that was never built. I think they probably have plenty of room left for expansion there yet.

shellybaxter
04-07-2006, 08:09 AM
I know I'm being cynical again (need that trip to Vegas next week and SSR end of May) but what else is guide supposed to say? If s/he sais "Why yes, we were planning on keeping the next DVC Resort secret for 6 more months, but what the heck, I'll tell you right now!" then s/he'll be outta there so fast your head would spin. And if they say (right when the customer is ready to put down a deposit) "Why no, nope, nosiree bob, no more DVC resorts" then the customer lets out a dejected "Oh" and a sigh.

Disney benefits from not promising anything while simultaneously not ruling anything out....

IMHO - YMMV

I agree with you, but I don't think the poster was saying for sure that they will make an announce of a new DVC in 6 months, just that they probably won't be making one today since she asked her guide recently and they didn't say an announce was so soon. If a guide was trying to "sell" her and they knew an annoucement was soon they would probably have hinted at the more immediate announcement as an enticement

cobbler
04-07-2006, 08:23 AM

Excellent....

Does anyone else hear Montgomery Burns voice when reading this??
:teeth:

whiles
04-07-2006, 09:19 AM

SMITHERS YOU FOOL! I've got that HOMER Simpson right where I want him !

time for some pudding!

LMAO

whiles :rotfl2:

Tinky
04-07-2006, 10:07 AM

OMG yes! Exactly what I thought! Too funny! :rotfl2:

Monte Cristo
04-07-2006, 10:23 AM
They will look pretty crafty when they are still using DVC for the extra 12 years. They will aslo look crafty when the DVC population ages and people are clamoring to get in there for the golf and the access to DTD. Remember, travel plans change as the kds grow up. This is the reason I just added on there.

johnny

Isn't it a possibility that any new resorts might have those same extra years? That's my plan....keep my 200 at BWV and then add on to a new resort that has a later expiration.

Blue&Gold
04-07-2006, 10:41 AM
If they don't have the extra years, they won't get our money for them...

We're on the same plan as Monte Cristo.

spiceycat
04-07-2006, 10:47 AM
My guide told me - that the guides know nothing....

they aren't told anything because they may let something slip to prospective owners.... which is illegal in the state of Fl.

but last year (might have been longer) - another poster - posted a link to where all the DVC resorts would be at the deluxe resorts - says also there were plans for the moderate too (but didn't give details).

another rumor that the uncompletely part of Pop becoming a DVC resort. Like Horizons was for Marriott..

I would love either a DVC at Cont, AKL or Polyn....

One at DL would be nice too - a reason to go to California....

gppnj
04-07-2006, 11:03 AM
I hope this isn't true. If it is, I'd have to buy more points because I love AKL so much, and I don't need any more points.

DVCLiz
04-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Well, five minutes away from whatever the announcement is...How will we hear about it? Will it be on a website anywhere?

fishermouse
04-07-2006, 11:28 AM
If they don't have the extra years, they won't get our money for them...

We're on the same plan as Monte Cristo.
I imagine it wiil be the same end date as SSR, however I can't see them announcing another resort before SSR sells out, also I thought contemporary would be next on the list. Wonder if they just throw this stuff out to see what sticks.. By the way I would just have to buy AKL. We were staying there when we decided to buy SSR. Had a great view of all kinds of annimals from our balcony. They rolled the cost of that vacation over to our downpayment on SSR.

mjmcca
04-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Well allears has the Nemo announcement

Stitch 03
04-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Cast member hear's from reliable source:

'There will be an announcement at the press event that some special WDW guests will be staying at the Animal Kingdon soon. There will also be a new restaurant'

Cast member thinks to himsef - I have heard rumor of DVC at the AKL. Perhaps thats what they mean about special guests staying at the AK. Thats it! They are announcing DVC at AKL. I better get to the forums right away to break this exciting news.

Cast member posts news and everyone gets excited.

Actual announcement (as I imagine it):

'... We will soon be welcoming some special gusts to stay at the AK. Yes, folks you guessed it. Finding Nemo and friends will be performing daily at the old Tarzan theatre...'

Of course the restaurant was previously announced.

Mom B
04-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Pardon my cynicism, but...BAH, HUMBUG! They can announce anything they want to and it doesn't mean it will happen. After all, they "announced" Eagle Pines in a big way at one point, didn't they? Not that I wouldn't LIKE it to happen, I've love to see more DVC properties, but I'm just not gonna hold my breath waiting for it to happen. YKWIM? :sunny:

nicky mouse
04-07-2006, 02:11 PM

IMHO - YMMV

You're absolutely correct. But a girl can dream.

Tony P. IL.
04-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Here is something I found from the Orlando Sentinel Dated March 28, 2006. Part of the article has to do with land near AKL. I've put a link to a map that was part of the article.

Here it is,
Walt Disney World is selling off chunks of excess land on the fringes of its empire, allowing developers to pursue their own real-estate magic.

Disney recently sold 53 acres on Sherberth Road south of Disney's Animal Kingdom to a developer who wants to build hundreds of vacation town homes and condominium units, and another 47 acres on Reams Road, north of the Magic Kingdom, to a home builder.

Another 30 acres is for sale on U.S. Highway 192. And more may be put on the market as soon as the company re-evaluates its vast land holdings in Central Florida, particularly parcels on the far edges.

Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger said the company is evaluating its Central Florida land holdings to see what fits into its long-term plans and what doesn't.

Disney owns 27,000 acres in southwest Orange and northwest Osceola counties, most of it purchased in the 1960s when Walt Disney stealthily assembled his holdings before the public learned of his plans to build Disney World. Much of the acreage makes up the area of and around Disney's theme parks, water parks, golf courses, shopping and hotel and time-share resorts between U.S. 192, State Road 429, Reams Road and Interstate 4.

The new deals may illustrate a shift in thinking for Disney.

Finger, spokeswoman for Walt Disney Imagineering, Disney's park planning division, said the 47-acre deal Disney made in December and the 53-acre deal in February are the first for the company in a while, other than land in the Little Lake Bryan and Celebration planned communities.

"With such significant land holdings in Central Florida, our strategy is to manage and develop land resources in ways that promote and enhance and complement our core businesses," Finger said.

Disney is not talking about the 30-acre tract, except to say it is in contract. Yet Disney asked its government agency, the Reedy Creek Improvement District, to de-annex the property, which is on U.S. 192, west of the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

The latest land deals are different from those at Celebration or Little Lake Bryan. Disney fully planned those two communities. The company transferred property in both areas to subsidiaries, which developed the communities and sold off the properties as they were developed. Those sales began in 1994 and still are continuing, Finger said.

The land in the latest deals would be governed by Orange or Osceola county planning and zoning codes, but would otherwise be outside Disney's master plans.

Susan Lawrence, president of Real Estate Strategies in Orlando, said Disney is finding a great time to sell. Prices are at an all-time high. Demand is high, and supply is tight, especially around Disney, she said.

"Like stock, when the prices are extraordinarily high, you're going to sell, especially if there's no long-term strategic use for it," Lawrence said. "That still leaves them with -- what? -- 26,000-plus acres?"

Such sales have been rare for Disney in recent years.

The most recent before December was in 2000, when Disney sold the 40-acre Crossroads at Lake Buena Vista, off State Road 535, for $15.8 million.

Other theme parks in town also have unloaded excess property in the past decade. In 2003, Universal Orlando sold 1,800 acres along Sand Lake Road after deciding it no longer wanted to build a third theme park there.

Since Anheuser-Busch bought SeaWorld in 1989, the company has sold off several hundred acres around Central Florida that were not contiguous to the park.

Last week Disney asked the Reedy Creek Board of Supervisors to begin steps to drop the 30-acre parcel from the agency's jurisdiction. Reedy Creek, a government agency set up by the Florida Legislature, provides utility, fire, emergency medical and other public services to Disney's property.

Normally, when Disney sells land that is governed by Reedy Creek the company asks the agency to de-annex the land so that any new landowners would not share the district's services and would not have any votes in Reedy Creek affairs.

Reedy Creek Executive Director C. Ray Maxwell said his agency is prepared to receive more de-annexation requests from Disney.

"They have gone around and looked at the entire property, the perimeter of the property, and said, OK, does this really fit into future development plans or not?" Maxwell said. "And if it doesn't, is there a market for it?"

Maitland-based Centex Homes bought the 47-acre Reams Road property for $4.8 million. Division President Pat Knight said Centex likes the property, but the company has not yet decided what to do with it.

Sherberth Development Partners, an investment group out of New York and Chicago, paid $15.4 million for the 53 acres. Orlando-based Resorts Development Group will develop the property. President Steve Parker said plans call for vacation homes, including short-term rental homes.

Parker said his company got an unexpected chance to buy the Disney property.

Resorts Development already was planning a 40-acre development next door when it learned that Disney would sell the 53-acre parcel. Knowing how rarely Disney has sold its Central Florida holdings, his investors immediately stepped up to buy it, he said.

"We like to think it was real-estate genius, but it was really dumb luck," he said. "They said, 'We just decided today to start selling some of it.' We said, 'OK, we'll buy it.' "
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-disneygraph032806,0,2056037.graphic?coll=orl-home-promo

bom_noite
04-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Ok - I thought this rumor was dead! But, it clings to life. This is the last sentence of a BizJournal article. What hotels will be made-over and how?

It previously announced plans to add characters from its "Pirates of the Caribbean" film series in July, as well as makeovers in two of its on-site hotel rooms and an additional retail outlet in Downtown Disney.

I will keep looking!

bom_noite
04-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww Forget IT - this Rumor is Dead. Old News:

Mar. 30th, 2006 -- The Walt Disney World resort is renovating rooms in two of their oldest hotels; the Contemporary and Polynesian hotels.

Both hotels were opened in 1971 with the Disney World resort. To keep up with the numerous high-end resorts around Orlando, massive room redecorating is underway. The Contemporary resort, built to be futuristic, no longer feels that way.

It's particularly important for high-price resorts to keep up with the times to be worthy of high prices.

For more information, see: The South Florida Sun-Sentinal.

lisareniff
04-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Well that was fun to think about for a day! Maybe next time....

:wave:

Disney Doll
04-08-2006, 03:03 PM
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :lmao: :lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl: A DVC Resort at AKL? That means another high-quality resort that we crafty SSR owners can fill up at 7 months.

Excellent....

That being laughed at, my guess is that you will not hear of an announcement of another DVC resort until SSR is close to being or completely sold out.

My second guess is that it will be a resort on the monorail. The most likely candidate is the Contemporary, as one of the "wings"...probably the one toward the left, if you are looking at the front of the building...would be torn down and rebuilt or totally renovated and maybe even added on to (there's a decent amount of land over there) to make a smallish DVC resort, probably about the size of BCV or VWL. Think about it...if they build a smallish resort in a highly desirable area, there are folks that will be willing to pay a HUGE premium to buy points there. The AKL area is lovely, as is the Lodge itself, but it is not as desirable of an area at this point as the MK area is for most people.

Time will tell.... :hourglass

bicker
04-08-2006, 04:15 PM
probably the one toward the left, if you are looking at the front of the building...The North Wing is a safe bet, since they just rehabbed all the rooms in the South Wing.

Stuart D
04-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Loving these rumours and speculation. Here's to the next one. :rotfl2:

bicker
04-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Hehehehe :rotfl:

WishesComeTrue
08-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Before anyone ditches this rumor completely and forever I just wanted to add that during a "lunch with an imagineer" session very recently when the imagineer asked if anyone were DVC members and only 2 people raised their hands (s)he said "well AKL is getting a DVC addition." When the two, very well informed members, looked at her with a blank face the imagineer said, "OH, was that not announced yet?"

I was searching for more possible information about the rumor on-line and stumbled on this thread.

And NO, I am not giving his/her name, although I WILL say it was a Design Administrator with WD Imagineering.

lisareniff
08-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Before anyone ditches this rumor completely and forever I just wanted to add that during a "lunch with an imagineer" session very recently when the imagineer asked if anyone were DVC members and only 2 people raised their hands (s)he said "well AKL is getting a DVC addition." When the two, very well informed members, looked at her with a blank face the imagineer said, "OH, was that not announced yet?"

I was searching for more possible information about the rumor on-line and stumbled on this thread.

And NO, I am not giving his/her name, although I WILL say it was a Design Administrator with WD Imagineering.

Thanks for the tidbit, WishesComeTrue.... who ever you are!

corinnak
08-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Oh, this is far from dead - there is just a new AKL DVC rumor thread. :) Actually, maybe a few. Here is the biggie, though. No indeedy - this rumor is alive and well!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1188305

tracyl921
08-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Ok, so the last time I spoke with my DVC guy/gal (who shall remain nameless), I was told the Contemporary was the next DVC location and one near AKL was in the works. So, I'm a believer!

vascubaguy
08-28-2006, 03:53 PM
As posted in the other thread, we know for sure something is going on at AKL... they've filed paperwork with the Orange County Comptroller. DVC is taking 3 bays at AKL to be converted into "models". Now, we dont' know what kind of models, but we know the paperwork was filed by DVC...

So that part, we know is not a rumor.

BTW, I saw this thread and was like hrmm... then to my suprise I noticed it was 4 months old. :rotfl2: Maybe an announcement next thursday?

CarolMN
08-28-2006, 05:22 PM
....... WishesComeTrue.... who ever you are! Well, Wishes is someone who registered today just to post this bit of information on an old thread.

Wishes is either correct or not correct. We can all decide for ourselves. :teeth:

Best wishes -

Barnum01
08-28-2006, 05:58 PM
There was also another planned land for AK that was never built. I think they probably have plenty of room left for expansion there yet.

Ahhhh...if only the land of fantasy animals had been built...

regards