PDA

View Full Version : Free Upgrades from Pop to SSR/OKW

Sammie
04-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Some have posted on the Resorts forum that Disney has emailed them and offered them a one bedroom villa for the same price as their room at the Pop Century.

Just wondering if this has been done before? Is this an indication that DVC sales are down? Trying to prmote the product? Bookings up at Pop?

Does Disney Resort Operations cover the difference in cost of the move or does DVC pick that up?

Just curious what others thought of the offers?

twister
04-04-2006, 12:24 PM
If this is true I feel it is safe to say DVC has pushed the panic button on SSR, and is doing anything they can to obtain some cash flow for the project.

Chuck S
04-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Sounds like something that DVC marketing may be doing. I wonder what criteria they are using to extend the offer---maybe several repeat visits within a period of time, a certain family size, or something. It could be severe overbooking at POP, but I would think if that were the sole reason, they would be upgraded to a moderate rather than DVC.

I don't think there is any "panic button" simply another form of marketing. Perhaps folks that stay in value resorts have a low ratio of taking DVC tours as opposed to moderate and deluxe resorts.

Anewman
04-04-2006, 12:33 PM
If true it could be PURE marketing, other timeshares offer FREE nights as long as you take a tour.

Would not look at it as panic though, the OP did mention OKW(long sold out).

CarolMN
04-04-2006, 12:48 PM
First I've heard of a promotion like this - don't recall anyone ever being upgraded from a value to a DVC resort.

Don't know who is picking up the cost, but it can't be DVC - that would be illegal. It is possible that the Developer is paying for this (from the Advertising/Promotion budget), but that has nothing to do with DVC members.

I would think it is more likely that there is a problem at POP - maybe it is overbooked, they are doing some major rehab or maybe a large group wants the rooms for a specific time frame. JMHO. YMMV.

Best wishes -

Sherri
04-04-2006, 12:59 PM
But why would they get a one bedroom instead of a studio if they were overbooked? Wow! Not just a DVC resort but a one bedroom.

bpmorley
04-04-2006, 01:04 PM
If this is true, then every DVC member should get a room upgrade for free.

twister
04-04-2006, 01:06 PM
why?.

sajetto
04-04-2006, 01:06 PM
But why would they get a one bedroom instead of a studio if they were overbooked? Wow! Not just a DVC resort but a one bedroom.

That's exactly my thought. I saw a thread posted on the resorts forum where a woman got this upgrade to a 1 bedroom. I can see her getting upgraded to a moderate due to over booking at POP, but a 1 bedroom DVC sounds nuts :crazy:

Sherri
04-04-2006, 01:15 PM
The whole thing seems a little crazy. If it were due to the fact that the hotel was overbooked, the next logical upgrade would be a moderate resort.
How did she get so lucky as to get a one bedroom? It has to have something to do with marketing I bet and not being oversold.

Anewman
04-04-2006, 01:18 PM
That's exactly my thought. I saw a thread posted on the resorts forum where a woman got this upgrade to a 1 bedroom. I can see her getting upgraded to a moderate due to over booking at POP, but a 1 bedroom DVC sounds nuts :crazy:

If someone is staying midweek at Value and paying $99 gets "upgraded" to a 1bedroom OKW, and then when the guide tells them that they can stay in those exact rooms for 16 points a night and dues for those points add upto about $70...

Well I dont know it that is the plan but it could increase sales

sajetto
04-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Here's the thing though, it can't be ALL marketing b/c they offered her the choice between staying at OKW or SSR and she picked SSR. If it was marketing they wouldn't have just offered a stay at SSR...this all seems very odd to me :confused3

pouncingpluto
04-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Well, if one bedrooms are in the least demand from members, it's not surprising.

sajetto
04-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Here's the thread

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1075514

Sherri
04-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Maybe it is marketing though. You noticed the only resorts offered were the two that are only DVC and not Disney hotels as well. If it is marketing then they are showing them all about DVC. Could you imagine if they were upgraded to the boardwalk or Beach Club or WIlderness lodge? Then all of those who were staying there on the hotel side would feel that this person was staying in a deluxe hotel at a value price. I think it would become a big issue.

WebmasterDoc
04-04-2006, 02:10 PM
I posted this on another thread, but ...

Disney has been doing this for years. If they have inventory in a Deluxe or DVC resort, they often will offer the free upgrade to selected guests.

We have friends who were upgraded from PO to BC a number of years ago. No additional expense to the guest (and no extra expense for Disney either). As a result, that family has always stayed at Deluxe resorts on all subsequent trips (they used to go about every 3 years when their kids were still at home).

This is a win-win situation. The guest wins with the upgrade and Disney may just get a new DVC member or at least a family who wants to stay at a DVC resort in the future.

Similar upgrades are very rare for DVC members staying on points. DVC can't really do this from the member inventory. It would be up to CRO to offer it to DVC members from the cash inventory (and that's NOT likely to happen). CRO can (and does) offer it from their inventory to guests reserved at other resorts though.

bpmorley
04-04-2006, 03:29 PM
If someone is staying midweek at Value and paying $99 gets "upgraded" to a 1bedroom OKW, and then when the guide tells them that they can stay in those exact rooms for 16 points a night and dues for those points add upto about $70...

Well I dont know it that is the plan but it could increase sales

Maybe so, but the object of the DVC is to pay in advance for years of discounts. These people might be coming on their only trip to WDWd and they're getting the advantages that we all paid into.

bpmorley
04-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Similar upgrades are very rare for DVC members staying on points. DVC can't really do this from the member inventory. It would be up to CRO to offer it to DVC members from the cash inventory (and that's NOT likely to happen). CRO can (and does) offer it from their inventory to guests reserved at other resorts though.

Why can't they? So it's impossible for DVC to overbook on studios, but have a bunch of 1bdr's leftover. Don't you think they would upgrade some people? I think that would be a great thing to do. Especially if I was one of the people with that upgrade

shantay1008
04-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Why can't they? So it's possible for DVC to overbook on studios, but have a bunch of 1bdr's leftover. Don't you think they would upgrade some people? I think that would be a great thing to do. Especially if I was one of the people with that upgrade
This makes sense to me, too. And it worked in our case! Actually, we weren't offered an upgrade, but when we showed up at the Beach Club front desk two years ago after spending a very crowded night in a couple of studios at one of the All-Stars, we were given a one-bedroom villa. I hadn't even realized they existed, but once I saw that washer and dryer, I was hooked. And the rest is history....

So if they have empty rooms sitting around, why not try to tempt some more buyers into the DVC world?

LakeAriel
04-04-2006, 03:48 PM
It's very starnge because the OP says they are staying at BCV, all 15 of them. So where does it mention they were staying at the Pop? at any time? :surfweb:

Sammie
04-04-2006, 03:54 PM
It's very starnge because the OP says they are staying at BCV, all 15 of them. So where does it mention they were staying at the Pop? at any time? :surfweb:

in the OP's comments when she posted the thread.

I am so excited!! I received an email yesterday saying that Disney wanted to upgrade our stay in april for free from the pop century to sartoga springs or old key west. Well I called and we moved up for the same rate we paid at the value resort. $110 a night for a 1br villa. I am so excied (did I say that) you would think I hit the lottery!! Just wanted to share.

LakeAriel
04-04-2006, 04:03 PM
in the OP's comments when she posted the thread.

I'm sorry! Check her signature and previous posts! Maybe she meant a friend got such an E mail? ;) Lucky them!

WebmasterDoc
04-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Why can't they? So it's impossible for DVC to overbook on studios, but have a bunch of 1bdr's leftover. Don't you think they would upgrade some people? I think that would be a great thing to do. Especially if I was one of the people with that upgrade

LOL!- Well, I suppose anything is possible - but to be fair to all members, they really can't upgrade a reservation unless they also charge the additional points, since 60 days prior the member inventory is turned over to CRO for cash reservations- again, it would be up to CRO to provide any upgrades to members.

Cash reservations are another story. There have been a few reports of DVC upgrades (standard to preferred at BWV and a few studio/1BR upgrades) in the past usually when there have been maintenance issues, but upgrades when staying on points are certainly a rarity at DVC resorts. (There have been upgrades when using points to stay at non-DVC options.)

While an upgrade might be nice, I'm not holding my breath until I get one.

DrTomorrow
04-04-2006, 04:22 PM
I don't see what all the excitement is about. Disney CRO (not DVC, not MS) upgraded a guest with an existing CRO reservation with a nicer room that was in CRO inventory. Has nothing to do with DVC owners. It just sounds like a bunch of DVC owners are looking at the "Free" Dining Plan (or as I call it, The Pay Rack Rate and Eat for Free Plan) and now a couple of isolated CRO upgrades and starting to get very jeal....

Never mind, I do understand.... :rolleyes2

littlestar
04-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Maybe they are overbooked at the values for some reason. That's a nice Disney "pixie dust" thing to have happen for those people that got upgraded. A nice way to try out DVC, too.

I've heard the one bedrooms are the last to get booked (vs. studios and two bedrooms). So maybe they had more of them available to offer to people.

Sammie
04-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Maybe they are overbooked at the values for some reason. That's a nice Disney "pixie dust" thing to have happen for those people that got upgraded. A nice way to try out DVC, too.

I've heard the one bedrooms are the last to get booked (vs. studios and two bedrooms). So maybe they had more of them available to offer to people.

I figure it's a little of both. Pop is probably running very high in occupancy. They have some openings in one bedrooms at the same time so they move them and give them a taste of the good life and maybe they will buy.

I have no problem with it, just wondered if it had happened before.

Or maybe Disney is trying to make a better offer than those renting points. ;)

bpmorley
04-05-2006, 06:08 AM
LOL!-
While an upgrade might be nice, I'm not holding my breath until I get one.

Niether am I, but one can wish. lol

DebbieB
04-05-2006, 07:20 AM
It's a great marketing ploy. I wasn't interested in DVC until I stayed in an OKW 2 bedroom. Then I was hooked! :goodvibes

cobbler
04-05-2006, 07:46 AM
You know after staying in an very nice one bedroom it will be very difficult for them to go back to POP :teeth: And I bet that is what Disney is counting on.

But since it seems that these upgrades are happening at POP I wonder how many people are going to start booking at POP to try to get the DVC upgrade.

bpmorley
04-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Im sure that is what disney is thinking. That maybe some will join DVC

Luv2trav
04-05-2006, 10:11 AM
I am not a DVC owner but maybe I can shed some light on why they are upgrading to DVC units. I have been trying to get a room only reservation for 4/27-4/30 at one of the value resorts. Nothing is available. Actually nothing is available anywhere except 1 room at POR and AKL Deluxe room. The only availability is SSR and OKW for those dates. Perhaps they need to make room for grad nights and instead of putting the grads in DVC units they would perfer families (quieter) and potential future DVC members. I doubt they would upgrade these families if other moderate or even deluxe resorts had availability but they do not!

Just my 2 cents..

cobbler
04-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Good point Luv2, families would probably be far nicer to the rooms and probably not be as disturbing to other guests and members. And what a bonus if they get a few sales out of it.

Better let the room go for 100/night than sit empty.

Sherri
04-05-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm booked at POP in July for two nights before the wilderness lodge, and I am one of the ones who really wants to stay there. I don't think I would switch since we will be at the WL five nights following that. I would love to be upgraded from a studio to a one bedroom once i'm there however.
Also I wonder if the people who were bumped over will get mousekeeping everyday.

msklcassidy
04-05-2006, 11:22 AM
I booked at Pop for 4 nights (5/3 -5/7) and got the e-mail on the upgrade. So we're moving to OKW in a 1 bedroom for the 4 nights. Here's hoping I won't be tempted to buy in.... :cool1:

Sammie
04-05-2006, 11:38 AM
I'm booked at POP in July for two nights before the wilderness lodge, and I am one of the ones who really wants to stay there. I don't think I would switch since we will be at the WL five nights following that. I would love to be upgraded from a studio to a one bedroom once i'm there however.
Also I wonder if the people who were bumped over will get mousekeeping everyday.

They are not staying on points, there is no reason they would not get Housekeeping daily.

cpbjgc
04-05-2006, 02:21 PM
:stir: :stir: :stir:
Time for new threads:

Disney's Undercutting Rent/Trade Board !:furious:

Free upgrades from POP to OKW work out to $4.55/point! :faint:

Sorry, I know I am :offtopic: but I couldn't resist! :rotfl2:

Pluss I wanted to see how many smilies I could use!

Deesknee
04-05-2006, 03:24 PM
It's a great marketing ploy. I wasn't interested in DVC until I stayed in an OKW 2 bedroom. Then I was hooked! :goodvibes

Same with my family. Paid rack rates 3x then purchased.

bpmorley
04-05-2006, 06:21 PM
I booked at Pop for 4 nights (5/3 -5/7) and got the e-mail on the upgrade. So we're moving to OKW in a 1 bedroom for the 4 nights. Here's hoping I won't be tempted to buy in.... :cool1:
This is so wrong. Why a 1bdr? why not a studio? That's the closest thing to a room at POP.

Boston5602
04-05-2006, 06:29 PM
A couple of years ago , I was booking a trip for 8 days at POR and was offered Contemporary for price of POR. We took it and uuhhmmm ooohhhh aaahhh well up to now always tried to book luxury resort only. Grand ,Poly, BC ,YC ,BWI ,BWV and then I bought DVC so I guess it worked. :teeth:

DrTomorrow
04-05-2006, 06:32 PM
This is so wrong. Why a 1bdr? why not a studio? That's the closest thing to a room at POP. I still don't understand your reason for feeling that this is wrong. CRO is upgrading a customer from one level of room in their inventory to a better one - hotels have been doing this for years. It takes absolutely nothing away from DVC owners - these rooms are in CRO inventory, not DVC inventory. I'm just not sure what all the heat is about :confused3 .

byoung
04-05-2006, 06:37 PM
I have a booking at Pops and have not got any e-mail with this upgrade.

shantay1008
04-05-2006, 07:32 PM
I wonder if Disney used to "get away" with upgrading people like this a lot more before everyone started sharing news on the internet. ;)

Sammie
04-05-2006, 08:08 PM
I wonder if Disney used to "get away" with upgrading people like this a lot more before everyone started sharing news on the internet. ;)

Definitely and probably offered it more often, but now due to the spreading of the news, someone will complain to them. Sometimes the Net is not a good thing.

Beca
04-05-2006, 08:22 PM
This is so wrong. Why a 1bdr? why not a studio? That's the closest thing to a room at POP.

One bedrooms are the last inventory to go. It could be that is all that is left.

:wave:

Beca

Johnnyfairplay
04-06-2006, 06:25 AM
I still don't understand your reason for feeling that this is wrong. CRO is upgrading a customer from one level of room in their inventory to a better one - hotels have been doing this for years. It takes absolutely nothing away from DVC owners - these rooms are in CRO inventory, not DVC inventory. I'm just not sure what all the heat is about :confused3 .

I'm with the Dr. on this. Why not upgrade? Those rooms are sitting empty anyway. It doesn't hurt us in the least. It is just good business. What is wrong with Disney spreading a little magic to a family or two? :confused3 Those people will be hooked on Disney and maybe hooked on DVC.

Wait, I get it now, people are upset because THEY weren't upgraded. :rolleyes:

johnny

bpmorley
04-06-2006, 06:35 AM
I still don't understand your reason for feeling that this is wrong. CRO is upgrading a customer from one level of room in their inventory to a better one - hotels have been doing this for years. It takes absolutely nothing away from DVC owners - these rooms are in CRO inventory, not DVC inventory. I'm just not sure what all the heat is about :confused3 .
So you think this is right? I've made a bunch of calls already. I'm pissed.

Sherri
04-06-2006, 07:32 AM
Disney must really be overbooking. Someone on the same thread about being upgraded, said their sister was staying at POFQ in May and was offered the one bedroom upgrade to Old Key West. Makes you think that it must be marketing.

LIFERBABE
04-06-2006, 09:47 AM
I agree with Sammie, TMI.

Sometimes it is best to keep good fortune to yourself. We don't need to know about every last drop of pixie dust that was sprinkled on your trip.

This is not available to the GP. Only by invitation only. So why share? Then we wonder why all the little extras have disappeared. :confused3

I checked availability at SSR this morning for a studio and a 1 bedroom (for our trip next month). The 1 bedrooms were plentiful, the studio I would have to waitlist 2 of the 5 days.

So I guess that answers why not a studio? :rolleyes1

LakeAriel
04-06-2006, 09:57 AM
So why not upgrade people in a studio to a one bedroom and those at POP to the studio? That makes more sense to me. :confused3

DrTomorrow
04-06-2006, 10:01 AM
So you think this is right? I've made a bunch of calls already. I'm pissed.

OK. Deep breath.

You do realize that CRO has an inventory of DVC rooms that they rent out. IIRC, they get these rooms from various sources: retained ownership, rooms traded out, 60-day releases, etc. These are NOT rooms that DVC owners compete for, they are reserved - and paid for - by paying customers who call Disney for a room reservation. Now, CRO (again, not DVC, not MS) has the right to upgrade anyone with a CRO reservation to a better room from their inventory. I have had it happen at many hotels. In Las Vegas we fairly often get upgraded to a strip view (which can often cost extra); we've received upgrades at WDW - usually from 'Garden' (parking lot) view to 'Water' view at no extra charge, and I know that I've read of value guests getting moderate or deluxe upgrades to GF, WL, etc.

So, since this has absolutely no effect on DVC villa availability (say that 3 times fast :lmao: ) I can't see why anyone would get upset, much less make phone calls. In fact, on the whole, it probably benefits DVC, at least in the area of sales. CRO is, in a sense, giving WDW guests a 'taste of DVC' at no expense to DVC, and I bet a fair amount of those who do get the upgrades find DVC appealing enough to consider buying.

Please, and with all due respect, state your rationale, or go back under the bridge.

IMHO - YMMV - Be well!

bpmorley
04-06-2006, 10:26 AM
So why not upgrade people in a studio to a one bedroom and those at POP to the studio? That makes more sense to me. :confused3
I would go for this. But there is no way anyone deserves a 1bdr in exchange for a regular room at the POP.

And DrTom, don't tell me where to go.

Chuck S
04-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Except that CRO works with what is in their inventory and DVC works with what is in DVC's inventory. If a room, no matter the size, has been turned over to CRO, whether it is because it hasn't booked at 60 days or because of member trades, it is CROs room to do with as they please, no longer is it part of DVCs inventory. That is simply how the system works whether you like it or not. And I'm curious as to how it affects any of us personally, and why it would make a difference to anyone if a cash resort guest is upgraded, whether by DVC marketing or CRO? We aren't paying for it, either marketing or CRO is.

Johnnyfairplay
04-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Bpmorley,

How many people will it take telling you that you are off before you relent? :confused3 The Dr. was right on again as was Dis mod Chuck. It doesn't hurt anybody that this happens. What is your real problem here?
Why are you so upset with this? CRO didn't take a room from you or your family and it isn't costing you money. I just don't see the problem or your reason to be angry. We are all entitled to our feelings but as the Dr. said give us some facts or a basis for your anger or go away with this stuff.

johnny

CarolMN
04-06-2006, 11:12 AM
This thread has run its course. Time to move on.