PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Hear This News?

prez65
04-04-2006, 10:48 AM
I heard that Disney is planning on building another theme park near SSR.... PIXAR PARK STUDIOS..(or something to that effect)..They supposed to be starting construction in late 2007....early 2008. Can anyone tell me if they had heard anything about this.....?

cobbler
04-04-2006, 10:50 AM
Haven't heard this and I doubt it would happen.

There have been press releases where Igar has said there wouldn't be a 5th park.

twinklebug
04-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Doubtful

If disney wanted to do anything with Pixar (whom they do not own) it would be to add one or more attraction(s) inside MGM or interactive games to Disney Quest utilizing their great graphic capabilities (I'm all for this as DQ needs a revamp BAD!)

BrianD
04-04-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm pretty sure Disney will own Pixar starting sometime in June.

Maybe this is the new SSR incentive. ;)

prez65
04-04-2006, 11:26 AM
The only reason I feel this might be happening is the fact that Disney will own Pixar soon.
I think it would be pretty wild if it does happen.....nothing like another park option!

Chuck S
04-04-2006, 11:39 AM
They have already incorporated Nemo into the Living Seas. The Incredibles have a meet & greet, Toy Story has "Space Ranger Spin." Remember, Disney has had the theme park rights to the Pixar characters for a long time. They haven't done much with the Muppets, either. I don't think any group of characters will be getting a new park anytime soon.

Nor do I think there is enough room near SSR for any sort of major park. WDW warehousing and the LBV golf course would be in the way.

DisFlan
04-04-2006, 11:53 AM
I don't think Iger's announcement of "no 5th park" is meant to be a permanent state of affairs; it's more a period of retrenchment. If WDW wants to continue to grow its visitor numbers (and DVC sales), it's going to NEED another park at some point. All those people are going to need more room to play. It might not be in the next 3 or 5 years, but we'll eventually see another park.

DisFlan

gammieatwdw
04-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Hey Prez, What is the source of this rumor? Disgruntled SSR owners? DVC guide? Friend? press release? pure speculation on your part? There is no room there for a theme park so I'm with Chuck.

1000th happy haunt
04-04-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't think Iger's announcement of "no 5th park" is meant to be a permanent state of affairs; it's more a period of retrenchment.

But Iger stated at month's Annual Stockholder meeting that there is no fifth gate planned for WDW. Why would he do an about face in such a short period of time?

And actually I've been hearing the Pixar Park rumor for quite a while now. Originally I heard that DCA would become Pixar Park

prez65
04-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Hey Prez, What is the source of this rumor? Disgruntled SSR owners? DVC guide? Friend? press release? pure speculation on your part? There is no room there for a theme park so I'm with Chuck.
One, I am to new to the boards to start rumors...Two, I am to new a DVC SSR member to be Disgruntled.......I have a friend in the construction business that is currently doing some work on SSR and I heard it from him......After I heard it from him...I questioned the salesperson at the sales presentation which I kept very short because I went there with all intentions on purchasing on the spot (not because of what I heard about the new park maybe opening but because I have been thinking of doing this for years) and I was told that they heard no such thing "at this time"...but anything is possible...I than asked the Old Man who drove me back to my resort after leaving SSR and had asked him and he said "probably will build another park.....they all seem to make money"....so I was just asking if anyone else has heard such a thing? My friend might be bragging on all the work he will be getting and the old man might have just been agreeing to what I asked.....you know the old Customer is Always Right Deal......

DisFlan
04-04-2006, 12:17 PM
But Iger stated at month's Annual Stockholder meeting that there is no fifth gate planned for WDW. Why would he do an about face in such a short period of time?

I don't think he meant ever. I think he meant for during the next planning cycle.

DisFlan

disney junky
04-04-2006, 12:18 PM
One, I am to new to the boards to start rumors...Two, I am to new a DVC SSR member to be Disgruntled.......I have a friend in the construction business that is currently doing some work on SSR and I heard it from him......After I heard it from him...I questioned the salesperson at the sales presentation which I kept very short because I went there with all intentions on purchasing on the spot (not because of what I heard about the new park maybe opening but because I have been thinking of doing this for years) and I was told that they heard no such thing "at this time"...but anything is possible...I than asked the Old Man who drove me back to my resort after leaving SSR and had asked him and he said "probably will build another park.....they all seem to make money"....so I was just asking if anyone else has heard such a thing? My friend might be bragging on all the work he will be getting and the old man might have just been agreeing to what I asked.....you know the old Customer is Always Right Deal......
CM's are notorious for passing along rumors, but they are just that. Rumors.

browniemtb
04-04-2006, 12:21 PM
After reading this thread I decide to search out Pixar theme parks on google. To my surprise I actually found something. Its a report about how the execs at Disney are not happy with WDW and would like to better it. There is also a shift of employment from Pixar to Disney's Imangineering office. They do talk about improving current attractions and also mention a Pixar Park. The Pixar Park rumor was actually started by Pixar and Disney execs. Most feel its a PR ploy though. But can you imagine how SSR sales would pick up with that rumor out there.
Brownie

twister
04-04-2006, 12:44 PM
I hope this is true, it would certainly take away some of the burden SSR has placed upon the other resorts.

Stitch 03
04-04-2006, 12:51 PM
I don't think he meant ever. I think he meant for during the next planning cycle.

DisFlan

I fully agree with you. I believe the comment was made by Iger that know 5th theme park is 'planned'. He can make an announcement tomorrow (though unlikely) that a 5th park is now 'planned'.

sajetto
04-04-2006, 12:56 PM
CM's are notorious for passing along rumors, but they are just that. Rumors.

Thats what I'm thinking. I highly doubt that a new park is coming any time soon, even if there were a little space around SSR I can't see them putting it there even if they were planning for a new park.

dianeschlicht
04-04-2006, 01:18 PM
One, I am to new to the boards to start rumors.....
But that is exactly why some of think you ARE starting rumors! It isn't like a newbie to come in and start something controversial right out of the box.

As for the "rumor"...It's just that, and goes into the HIGHLY doubtful catagory.

crisi
04-04-2006, 01:55 PM
I fully agree with you. I believe the comment was made by Iger that know 5th theme park is 'planned'. He can make an announcement tomorrow (though unlikely) that a 5th park is now 'planned'.

But either enough time needs to pass or the environment needs to be significantly different, or he opens himself up to shareholder lawsuits. I think "tomorrow" would be really fast, and you won't see any new parks in Florida go into "planning" for 3-5 years. I really doubt you'll ever see a fifth major park in Florida, but I've been wrong before. Disney's corporate expansion doesn't need to happen in Orlando - I'd expect a theme park in India, perhaps South America, before another WDW park is built.

prez65
04-04-2006, 02:02 PM
But that is exactly why some of think you ARE starting rumors! It isn't like a newbie to come in and start something controversial right out of the box.

As for the "rumor"...It's just that, and goes into the HIGHLY doubtful catagory.
It was asked as a question....if anyone else has heard this? I did not intend to start something contrversial...especially being as new as I am. I just thought I would ask....Either way it did not have an effect on my reason to purchase into DVC....I love going to Disney...I sometimes do not even go to the parks....sometimes just lounge around and enjoy the resorts.....which I will be doing at OKW end of June...can't wait!

byoung
04-04-2006, 09:26 PM
I'll just sit and wait, to see what will take place.

shantay1008
04-04-2006, 10:08 PM
After reading this thread I decide to search out Pixar theme parks on google. To my surprise I actually found something. Its a report about how the execs at Disney are not happy with WDW and would like to better it. There is also a shift of employment from Pixar to Disney's Imangineering office. They do talk about improving current attractions and also mention a Pixar Park. The Pixar Park rumor was actually started by Pixar and Disney execs. Most feel its a PR ploy though. But can you imagine how SSR sales would pick up with that rumor out there.
Brownie
Brownie, did they go into detail about why the execs aren't happy with WDW? It's hard to imagine because we love it so much....
Shannon

keishashadow
04-05-2006, 07:45 AM
I thought the original buzz was for a thrill type park to compete w/the Universal element.

crisi
04-05-2006, 08:14 AM
I thought the original buzz was for a thrill type park to compete w/the Universal element.

That buzz has been around since the MGM buzz. MGM was going to be the "Universal Model" Then AKL was going to be "like Busch Gardens" Both were going to have more thrill rides.

Disney seems to like spacing their thrill rides out between parks and keeping number of thrill rides fairly small. I think it helps them hit their target market (families), without encouraging the roving bands of teens that can put a damper on the "family experience." (Not all bands of teens, some are polite and respectful, but you know what I mean.) I also think that Disney has no desire to be Six Flags.

jade1
04-05-2006, 08:43 AM

Could have meant the "planning" part is over and now its in design. :rotfl:

Blue&Gold
04-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Anyone remember the Disney park that was going to be built in northern Virginia? (It was going to be themed on colonial/civil war era/general purpose American history). This kind of planning takes place all the time. Some of them pan out, some don't. Disney's next park will likely be in Shanghai, but that doesn't mean they won't expand the flagship resort. Disney PR might like the public to think they own all that land in central Florida to show corporate eco-friendliness, but Walt didn't buy 47,000 acres to enjoy the scrub pine. They will build again.

keishashadow
04-05-2006, 02:14 PM
I remember being disapointed by this oh so well! Around Manassas area as I recall.Anyone remember the Disney park that was going to be built in northern Virginia? (It was going to be themed on colonial/civil war era/general purpose American history). This kind of planning takes place all the time. Some of them pan out, some don't. Disney's next park will likely be in Shanghai, but that doesn't mean they won't expand the flagship resort. Disney PR might like the public to think they own all that land in central Florida to show corporate eco-friendliness, but Walt didn't buy 47,000 acres to enjoy the scrub pine. They will build again.

PinkTink63
04-05-2006, 05:14 PM
Anyone remember the Disney park that was going to be built in northern Virginia? (It was going to be themed on colonial/civil war era/general purpose American history). This kind of planning takes place all the time. Some of them pan out, some don't. Disney's next park will likely be in Shanghai, but that doesn't mean they won't expand the flagship resort. Disney PR might like the public to think they own all that land in central Florida to show corporate eco-friendliness, but Walt didn't buy 47,000 acres to enjoy the scrub pine. They will build again.

Exactly! Walt,s plan was that it never be finished. He planned to keep adding! I just watched a show on it a couple of weeks ago. I had seen something similar a couple of years ago. They cannot just keep adding places to stay without more parks.

bom_noite
04-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Not sure you could build an entire park around 5 or 6 movies?

I read something about DIS going through and creating a 30 year plan for the remaining land (which resulted in the recent land sale). And, if I am correct (but may not be) I remember hearing that the next thing would be a smaller virtual reality park?

I have no knowledge on how DisneyQuest is doing from a business perspective - but - I think it a valid guess that DIS may:

If things are NOT going well at DQ:
1) Revamp DQ using a Pixar charachters and talent.
2) Replace DQ with a Pixar dedicated attraction.

If things are going VERY well at DQ:
1) They build a new DQ like reality thing using Pixar as the draw.

And - I can really see the new Cars movie will definately spin off a ride! Not sure Kids will want to hug a Honda!

Slakk
04-05-2006, 05:44 PM
And - I can really see the new Cars movie will definately spin off a ride! Not sure Kids will want to hug a Honda!

I actually am going to the premier the end of May. It is being held at Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte, NC during the Coca Cola 600 weekend. There will be 4 6 story screens set up for the 30,000 people expected.

I cannot wait!

brianm27
04-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Actually, there is a CARS ride already in the works for Disney Studios Pais new Toon Studios section.

The artwork is at the bottom of this thread:

http://www.photosmagiques.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=256&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

bpmorley
04-05-2006, 07:40 PM
I hope this is true, it would certainly take away some of the burden SSR has placed upon the other resorts.
What burden?

Boston5602
04-05-2006, 07:53 PM

this is just another rumor from my perspective , I have a friend who was in the college program ( I think it was 3 years ago now ) and she also had told me this rumor , you know to keep up with Universal

<-----not claiming to know anything but what i know

:teeth:

NYBlue1
04-05-2006, 08:22 PM
I for one hope they dont build a park next to my SSR! All those epcot resort owners will want to stay there than.. in MY HOME..the nerve of that riff raff!!! :banana:

tmt martins
04-05-2006, 08:53 PM
I think they are going to add the Pixar name to Disney Studio's since MGM's contract is coming to an end.

bpmorley
04-06-2006, 07:40 AM
I for one hope they dont build a park next to my SSR! All those epcot resort owners will want to stay there than.. in MY HOME..the nerve of that riff raff!!! :banana:
Even though I would like a park nearby, I'm with you. KEEP THOSE BEACH BUM RIFF RAFF OUT!!!!!!!!!

Disney Doll
04-08-2006, 12:36 PM
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :thumbsup2

wanna-b-Tink
04-14-2006, 06:19 PM
I actually am going to the premier the end of May. It is being held at Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte, NC during the Coca Cola 600 weekend. There will be 4 6 story screens set up for the 30,000 people expected.

I cannot wait!

Our tickets came in the mail a couple of weeks ago. I just wish it was on a different weekend. Traffic is so bad that weekend anyway!

CarolA
04-14-2006, 06:49 PM
There was an interview in the Orlando paper this weekend with Bob Iger

"Q: Is that, at least in the next couple of decades, an area of tremendous growth compared with theme park growth potential?

A: Since you used the time frame "a couple of decades," you'll see Disney building more parks internationally, and you'll see Disney expanding the vacation experience domestically a fair amount, and you will see expansion in California and in Florida, but again I doubt you'll see, at least in the next decade, a new gate."

Link to report on disboards...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1082510