PDA

View Full Version : My family thinks I'm crazy

joyeric
04-03-2006, 11:22 PM
I am planning my first trip to disneyworld in June, and have become addicted to DIS. I told my DH that I needed to make a forty-five minute drive to home depot for my alien mickey, he says I've gone round the bend. We will be there over my 44th birthday, and I am going to wear my birthday pin proudly. DS17, DS16, and DD20 are threatening to avoid me for the whole trip because I'm so excited already and we have 63 days to go. DH says I'll be just like the kids on the commerical that are "to excited to sleep" I wholeheartedly agree. This is a vacation of a lifetime for me, and I plan to enjoy every minute. Thanks to everyone for all the info, and tips that are so freely shared, I've learned alot.

momginger
04-03-2006, 11:51 PM
:thumbsup2 I'm in the same boat as you! I haven't been to WDW since '98 & I'm in withdrawl! My kids have never been & I guess that's one of the biggest reasons I'm so excited! :banana:

I am also addicted to the DIS boards!

:goodvibes Happy Planning!

First-timer
04-04-2006, 02:06 PM
my family was the exact same way....... here is my hubbys post its actually pretty funny.... enjoy......www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1024529

but we had a great vacation last month!!! now im ready to go back!!! vicki

UP Disney
04-04-2006, 03:39 PM
I am the same way every year. It actually seems to be getting worse every trip we take. I LOVE Disney. We have went the first week of March for three years in a row and I'm trying to talk my DH into a Christmas trip the first week of December for the two of us.

I got myself a Pal Mickey on the last trip and he stands on a pedestal by my desk. I've started to buy clothes for him to dress him for the seasons. When I get lonely for Disney, I press his hand to hear one of his jokes. My DH, DD20 and DD17 all think I'm crazy. However, my DD20 sent this e-mail to me after our return: "Love U even if U are crazy!" I think they enjoy my obsession because it adds to their magic.

maddhatir
04-04-2006, 04:06 PM
I am planning my first trip to disneyworld in June, and have become addicted to DIS. I told my DH that I needed to make a forty-five minute drive to home depot for my alien mickey, he says I've gone round the bend. We will be there over my 44th birthday, and I am going to wear my birthday pin proudly. DS17, DS16, and DD20 are threatening to avoid me for the whole trip because I'm so excited already and we have 63 days to go. DH says I'll be just like the kids on the commerical that are "to excited to sleep" I wholeheartedly agree. This is a vacation of a lifetime for me, and I plan to enjoy every minute. Thanks to everyone for all the info, and tips that are so freely shared, I've learned alot.

I am a disney freak!! :banana:

My DH has just learned to accept it.......it will happen to your DH in time! :rotfl: dont worry- and hey who knows after your trip maybe he will jump on the disney wagon! :thumbsup2

as far as the commercial--- guess what-- remember even the father says HE is so excited HE cant sleep-- so its not just the kiddies! believe me-- sept will be my 11th trip- i have over 5 months to go and i get sooo excited just reading the boards and planning our trip! that is half the fun!

YOU ARE NOT ALONE! :grouphug: ENJOY-- WE WILL ACCEPT YOU HERE!

MARY-IN-OH
04-04-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm right there with ya!! When I ask my family once every day if they want to hear my Dis - "tip of the day", they scatter!! Maybe it's because this is April, and we are not going till December (hee hee) - My DS17 calls all of you my DIS-bo buddies that I "talk" to on the DIS-bo-boards, and he calls me the queen DIS-bo!! - mary

maddhatir
04-04-2006, 04:57 PM
:rotfl2: whenever i go to tell my husband something-- he says "did you read that on the boards!" :lmao: something that is totally OT, nothing AT ALL to do with disney but he has to say it anyway! :rotfl:

MARY-IN-OH
04-04-2006, 05:09 PM
Me too! And I feel like I want to lie and say I read it in the paper, but I just hang my head and tell him the truth. too funny.

MinnieNurse
04-04-2006, 05:17 PM
I know exactly how you feel. My families first trip was last March. I am addicted. My DH :firefight thought I had lost my mind :badpc: . I bought books, looked on every website I could find, planned, planned, planned for a good eight months. But once we were there my husband had to admit it was "magical". Guess who suggested we go this year for my 33rd Birthday party: -you guessed it my DH :firefight . He bought me the 2006 Unofficial Guide and said this is where we are going for your Birthday. So see there is hope-I guess if they can't beat us they join us :rotfl2: .
I can't wait to go :hourglass .

Can someone tell me more about the Birthday pin thing? I will definitely need one princess:

uncw89
04-04-2006, 05:27 PM
joyeric- don't forget to go by customer service in the parks and get your Happy Birthday button. I did when I went for my 40th and all day people were telling me Happy Birthday! :)

uncw89
04-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Oh yeah! I like Disney so much I just joined the DVC!

margarita
04-04-2006, 10:02 PM
:grouphug: i understand

DisneyDotty
04-04-2006, 10:21 PM
:rotfl2: whenever i go to tell my husband something-- he says "did you read that on the boards!" :lmao: something that is totally OT, nothing AT ALL to do with disney but he has to say it anyway! :rotfl:

This is how it is in my house, too! But DH has become very impressed with my knowledge from the DIS--we've saved lots on car rentals, had some awesome Disney trips (little waiting, great meals, excellent rooms/rates) all because of these boards! Even DH admires the DIS now, too!

And welcome, OP! Enjoy the boards and the Disney planning! You are among friends! :sunny:

MomofCKJ
04-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Oh I hear you! I finally got my DH to agree to a trip and we are going in December. I have not been since 1997. Since booking in February I can not get enough of these boards. I have read the Unofficial Guide and another book on WDW with Kids. I can not stay away from reading about WDW! It is so fun to plan but DH thinks I am absolutely off the deep end!

Allyson

slyjly
04-04-2006, 10:46 PM
I totally understand! My DD is taking our whole family to WDW in May. This is the first time for all 10 of us-- I'm 53 and more excited than my 15 yr. old DGD! My DH use to be jealous of "Dr. Phil", now he's jealous of the Diz Boards!

slyjly
04-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Whoo Hoo! I just made Mouseketeer! My goal was to make Mouseketeer before our trip!

Panna
04-04-2006, 11:51 PM
My daughters love it, because that means they can talk about the trip and ask questions, see pictures of rooms and resorts and we keep each other excited.

Now DBF is a different story :rotfl2: I start telling him plans and reservations and resorts and and and.. And he just smiles and laughs. I tell him I'm excited and he laughs and says "I couldn't tell". He enjoys seeing all of us so worked up.

I have been there only once and my daughters none at all, and I am so excited to experiance that magic with them and him.

byoung
04-05-2006, 08:29 PM
I only wish I got this feeling years ago. It's a great feeling.

maddhatir
04-05-2006, 09:15 PM

i agree- the fun feelings are half the fun of planning.......

THANKS TO EVERYONE AT THE DIS BOARDS! :love:

Anna114
04-06-2006, 01:17 AM
Here's my couple O' pennies. Disney is so much more than just another vacation. I don't go every year, I can't afford it. That having been said, you need to make the most of the moment. My DH, DS16 & DS10 think I am crazy (by the way, they are right). But that is OK. When we go, we go all the way. I want my money's worth out of my planning. I start with purchasing my Passporter and absorb all that I can. I make a chart to decide where to make my ADR. I buy the current Birnbaum Official Guide. I recently became a Dis Board addict lol. Podcasts.....it's a sickness :lmao: I subscribe to a bunch of them (haven't decided if I will forgive Ricky Brigante for ending the Daily Dose of Disney lol) I have already decided that I won't listen to podcasts the week before I go....need some doses of Disney on my IPOD, during my flight. I packed 6 weeks before we go, I make a packing list to check off as I go along. My DS10 and I made a construction paper chain to count down the days.....Disney is so much more than just another vacation.

Have a magical day,
Anna

MinnieNurse
04-06-2006, 06:37 PM

:thumbsup2 What a great statement. That really sums it up for me. :woohoo:

1stWDWtrip
04-07-2006, 12:44 AM
I too have become a DIS addict. I stay up for several hours trying to absorb everything. :surfweb: This is truly a once in a lifetime trip for my and my DS10 & DD7. I need to be able to do as much as possible during this trip, as we most likely won't get a chance to try again. This board has been so helpful in my planning!! :sunny: I have learned so much about what to see and do... and what to bring. Things that I would not have remembered. I love this place. :love: And to think... I found it totally by accident trying to find prices on rental cars! :teeth:

I am SOOOO excited! pixiedust: :hyper2: :jumping2:

mamax2
04-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Omygoodness omygoodness omygoodness!! You have no idea how exciting this is!! I can't believe there are people out there like ME!! With husbands like MINE!! (I put this on another post, and I stand by it, he is the ultimate ANTIMICKEY!!!) I just have to tell you this story. We went to Disney for our honeymoon in '02 (it was a huge sacrifice on his part, but even he admitted he liked it.) and haven't been anywhere since. I mean anywhere. We now have a daughter, and another on the way, and we decided to do whatever it takes to go on a trip next year, to quote him - "As long as it isn't Disney." Well, we're borrowing a week on his parents time share, and went through several options (we're going with another couple) and finally decided that FLA was the cheapest, and easiest trip to make. However, he did not want to do ANY theme parks, with the exception of MAYBE Seaworld (he's totally into fish. We have four fish tanks in our living room, one in our bedroom, and he's building a monster tank for downstairs) But I digress. When we told our friends about going to FLA they were all for it, but when we told them Peter didn't want to do parks, and I agreed (grudgingly) the husband was like "NO!! If we go I have to do Disney. At least two days. My cousin just got back and that's all he talks about now. And he doesn't get excited about anything." I just laughed. So we're now camping in FW for about three days. Just thought I'd share the humour (and irony :) )

kydeb1346
04-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Just found this board recently and am so addicted! DH does not understand at all. DH says that I am crazy and there is no reason to plan anything. He told me the other day all we needed to do was get on the plane and go, no planning needed. If he only knew..... :rotfl2:

Ally0005
04-08-2006, 02:09 PM
I've only been on here for a few weeks and it's been the best thing for us. That amount of information I have gotten is wonderful. I have a folder now for Disney and print off any thing I feel I need to know or remember.
At first DH didn't get it now he is reading everything I put into the folder and any website that this list has said has great information.
We will not be going until May 2007 but Dh now agrees we need to stay more than 4 nights as it will be our families first trip to Disney.

Brad&Kryssi
04-08-2006, 02:13 PM
You are definitely not alone. I'm almost 40 and didn't go to WDW for the first time till this past January. We not only extended our 3 day trip into 8 days, but we came back again for a week in February! We are now planning our wedding in Disney in November of this year.

It grows on you...it really does. Hope you enjoy your trip! There's nothing like seeing it for the first time.

Anna114
04-08-2006, 02:21 PM
I think that is a good idea. While 4 days is better than 3 WHen we took our children in 2002 it was for 9 days and we accomplished everything we wanted and then some, we could never have done it in 4.

Have a magical day,
Anna

We will not be going until May 2007 but Dh now agrees we need to stay more than 4 nights as it will be our families first trip to Disney.

HappyLawyer
04-08-2006, 08:35 PM
no one understands you but us.

INDISMOM
04-08-2006, 09:24 PM
I am absolutely right there with you. This is our first family vacation without in-laws or my parents. I am 32 years old and finally feel like a grown up to be booking our own vacation, but like a little kid because I am so excited. My DH has been to WDW many times and thinks I am over planning, but I can't resist reading more and more about the things we have planned.

I booked the Family Magic Tour (so excited!!) and I can't bring myself to tell DH that he has to act silly and possibly crawl through the park -- he might ruin my fun!!

61 days to go and I can't wait!!

tinkerbellroxsox
04-09-2006, 08:59 AM
I LOVE :love: disney sooooooooo much! there are so many of us disney freaks out there - it's great! :cheer2: some people in my family are even more obsessed with it than i am ( ;) disney5mom) but others say it's a sickness. i don't understand them :confused3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. i really like this blob smiley but had nowhere to put it so ill just put it here :thumbsup2 : :Pinkbounc

Disney Crazy Debbie
04-09-2006, 09:49 AM
I am 53 years old and I remember the original Mickey Mouse Club and watching the opening the ceremonies of Disneyland. I always dreamed of going. When Dsney World first opened I just never imagined going to any of them but the possibilities were greatly improved since I lived on the east coast. I finally got to go to WDW when nothing was there but MK, CR, Polyand FW. I went back in 1981 when they were building Epcot and then I didn't go back for almost 20 years. My family thinks that I'm crazy because I still love going to WDW. It has changed alot in the 20 years that I didn't go but it is a real vacation.

My DS is off this week-end on a scouting outing of a 200 mile bike hike so I popped in my WDW vacation planning DVD to get a little pixie dust! It was great and now I only have 131 days until my vacation!

slyjly
04-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Disney Crazy Debbie - I can so identify with you! I am also 53 and can remember watching the original Micky Mouse Club on tv. I have always dreamed of going to Disneyland and then later to WDW. It just never happened.But this year my DD is taking 10 family members to WDW in May! My DSI can't understand why I am more excited than the kids. I've tried to explain but he still doesn't get it! But it is good to know that fellow Disers do!

Disney Crazy Debbie
04-09-2006, 11:36 AM
slyjly - Thank you. You are correct, other DISers are the ones that truly understand. I guess that too many children's shows have been offered since and the special appeal that Walt had can't be truly understood!

slyjly
04-09-2006, 12:38 PM
slyjly - Thank you. You are correct, other DISers are the ones that truly understand. I guess that too many children's shows have been offered since and the special appeal that Walt had can't be truly understood!

Yes, that is so true. I use to love watching The Wonderful World of Disney on Sun. nite. But now everyone has the whole world at their fingertips with cable, satellite and the internet that there are few mysteries and wonders left!

lorrainesy
04-13-2006, 12:11 AM
You are crazy but you are in good company :thumbsup2

lorrainesy
04-13-2006, 12:15 AM
My DH use to be jealous of "Dr. Phil", now he's jealous of the Diz Boards!

LOL!!! I wonder what Dr. Phil would have to say about all us Obsessed Dis lovers :rotfl2:

TCKK
04-14-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm like the rest of you. I'm addicted too. :thumbsup2 But I'm lucky, my DH reads these boards as much as I do. :cool1: In fact, we weren't supposed to go until next year (as we go about every 3 years), but we couldn't wait and now we're going in June. :banana: We have the books, watch the Planning DVD, listen to Podcasts, plus listen to Disney music CD's in the car. Our DD's love WDW too, but think mom & dad are a little over the top with it :rotfl2: Oh well, we're having a good time. :lmao: Can't wait until June when we finally get there. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Anyway, you don't have to be crazy to be here, but it sure helps. :rotfl: