PDA

View Full Version : First weeks of May..resorts all booked..anyone know why??

Iluvtgr
04-02-2006, 10:49 PM
First of all I would like to say hello :wave2: I just found this and I am already addicted!! My question is we have booked the CBR for May 3rd thru the 11th and after reading some reviews (on other sites, I haven't got around to them here) it sounds like it's not a very nice place, so I decided to try elsewhere. Well, they told us every single disney resort was full at that time. I read somewhere that May was supposed to be a good time to go (less people, lines, etc.) this news kind of scares me! Does anyone know why?

kristenhh
04-02-2006, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't switch. We were there in December 2005 and it was a beautiful place, we loved the room, the resort, the buses!

Stay and have a vacation within a vacation. (The resort makes you feel like you are in the Caribbean)

spiceycat
04-02-2006, 11:22 PM
I don't know - it is the flower/garden show and both Paul Reverse and the raiders and the Association will be there....

but I find it hard to believe they are still popular... (both groups of the 70's)...

the Star Wars weekends don't start until the middle of May.

jaysmom4285
04-02-2006, 11:26 PM
I absolutely agree with Kristenhh. CBR is a beautiful resort that will make you feel transported, with the colorful buildings, the lush landscaping and foliage, and the white sandy beach and lagoon . I'm not sure why it gets such a bad rap on these boards. Yes, it's big, but it isn't the size of Rhode Island or anything, and it can have some of the same issues as any other resort, like poor mousekeeping, rude CM's, etc., but those certainly aren't specific to CBR. The internal bus system is very efficient if you don't want to walk, and because of the layout, most of the villages really aren't far from Old Port Royale. We really like Jamaica because it's just a quick walk across the footbridge to the main areas, and it's a very quiet and peaceful village. The bus service has always been excellent when we've been there. Don't give it a second thought - you'll love it there.

mikesmom
04-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Because travel is up and you are only thirty days out!

Iluvtgr
04-02-2006, 11:41 PM
thank you for the good words about the resort. I feel much better now. The reviews are so bad on this place compared to the others that it was starting to scare me. If it's just that the place is big than I really don't care because I am going to wdw with the idea that I am going to do some walking, so that won't bother me. I just don't want to stay there if it's filthy or run down.

Isn't the flower and garden show every May? If it is then you would think that if that's why it's booked now it would have been booked in past years too. I am just confused because (I guess I am just dreaming) , but I thought May wasn't supposed to be packed.

I appreciate your replies :)

rparmfamily
04-02-2006, 11:44 PM
We've stayed at CBR several times and have always had great experiences. It has beaches w/hammocks, several quiet pools, a nice food court and beautiful landscaping. You'll enjoy it!

plgrn
04-03-2006, 01:11 AM
I've Stayed at the CBR years ago and it was a wonderful experience. I would stay there again.

scoutsmom99
04-03-2006, 01:30 AM
I like CBR a lot it is my favorite moderate resort.

But, I wanted to tell you that for every good thing you hear about a resort someone will have something negative to say. An example would be that some people like the "remoteness" of AKL and others feel it is just too far away from the action. I would read all reviews with a grain of salt and go in with a positive attitude. I hope you have a great trip :goodvibes

You might want to check out the CBR thread here as well:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=655543

JuneChickie
04-03-2006, 01:37 AM
we are going in May too,, for a week over Mothers day week end
and we had to cut our trip short by 2 days because we couldn't get a room
on property . We were told everything was sold out for the next 2 weeks
following the 16th of May. Weird for sure. I thought the same thing,,'
shouldn't be so crowded ,,, I have been checking back everyday for the last few weeks and nope , no openings and no cancelations,, oh well,,,, :confused3

eeyoreiscool
04-03-2006, 06:12 AM
The first weekend is the Minnie Marathon, the second weekend is Mothers Day and the Danskin Triatlalon, and the third weekend is the Florida Half Ironman. I have heard that there are several people going to each of these events and that hotels are getting full but there was still rooms available last week.

SeaSpray
04-03-2006, 06:36 AM
CBR was the resort we stayed at for our first family trip to Disney World. We LOVED it!! :sunny: The grounds are very well kept, the entire resort was very clean, our room was great, the food court was good, and we loved the theming of the main pool and pool area.

I have some pictures of CBR on my web site, the link is below.

You're going to have a great time at CBR!! :thumbsup2

loralie
04-03-2006, 07:46 AM
I don't know why it would be so crowded. We went in May, 2005 and stayed at CBR and it was wonderful. You will love the resort and last year in May the parks were not crowded at all. In fact I am trying to plan my trip for 2007 and want to go in May again but if it is becoming such a busy time of year then we may change.

I think people say the CBR is the worst of the mods because it is so big and spread out. We paid for a preferred room so that was not a problem for us. People also say the main pool and hot tub is smaller than the other mods. but
my kids LOVED the pool.

Stick with CBR, you will love it and let us know how the crowds are at the park when you get back.

Loralie

EmmaAndQuinnsMommy
04-03-2006, 07:47 AM
I am curious too since we will be there at the same time at CBR (the 4th through the 10th). Maybe partly it is because you are there for 8 days? Don't be nervous - it will be great no matter what! I will see you there! =)

Carrie

mjmcca
04-03-2006, 08:14 AM
First of all I would like to say hello :wave2: I just found this and I am already addicted!! My question is we have booked the CBR for May 3rd thru the 11th and after reading some reviews (on other sites, I haven't got around to them here) it sounds like it's not a very nice place, so I decided to try elsewhere. Well, they told us every single disney resort was full at that time. I read somewhere that May was supposed to be a good time to go (less people, lines, etc.) this news kind of scares me! Does anyone know why?
CBR is not my favorite place to stay but it is a nice resort. Very good themeing. It is a little spread out .

jwfla422
04-03-2006, 08:30 AM
I've also heard that there are several conventions going on as well. My neighbor is attending one in mid-May and said there were several going on at this time. SO, the parks may not be as busy as you would expect since many are there on business although they may bring family. Many FL schools also let out before Memorial Day this year so that last week will probably be pretty busy.

lillygator
04-03-2006, 08:47 AM
we are there the 16th-21st and I am trying to switch resorts with not much luck - POR and some of the values do seem to be available though.

jwfla422
04-03-2006, 08:51 AM
Lillygator, I'm guessing you are staying at the POLY?? Why switch?? It's nice there. :sunny:

DMville
04-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Almost every negative review I've read on CBR here and elsewhere (alot since i'm new to this and am staying there soon) have contained a reference to being too spread out etc and come from people w mobility issues or just didn't know beforehand. As long as you know, and walking a bit isn't a difficulty, I can imagine no other problems that you couldn't experience at any other resort.

But the family in one review who had their 80 yo mom w them who walked extra sloooow and missed buses---why would they stay there in the first place?

deedeed
04-03-2006, 10:07 AM
I have stayed at CBR twice and I thought it was great. I've said it before and will keep saying it, there seems to be no bad resort on disney grounds. I think it is all a matter of preference. I've stayed at every level and I think they are all great, well kept, beautiful landscape, and theming. Stick with CBR you will love it! :wave2:

JuneChickie
04-03-2006, 10:56 AM
So instead of being in the parks ,,these people will just be running all around ??? or fast walking or what is a an "ironman" ??

:lmao: :lmao:

threeboysmom
04-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Hi there, and welcome to the DIS! :welcome:

I just wanted to let you know that we also are staying at CBR May 3-8!!! Maybe we will run into each other!! I too am a little nervous about the "negative reviews" - I had originally wanted CSR, but it was booked solid... But I have learned that peope here have many differing opinions. So many people raved about POR and I decided to try it - well, I didn't like it! So maybe the opposite will happen with CBR! LOL!

Four weeks from today!!!!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

dwmlaf
04-03-2006, 11:59 AM
I just booked a room at Pop Century for 5/5 - 5/9. Had no problem and this is for a weekend stay

TammySB
04-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Stick with CBR!! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. CBR is the only resort on property that we have stayed at, the values dont appeal to us and the deluxe just isnt worth the extra money (just my opinion). CBR is a beautiful resort! Im so glad to see other posters finally coming around and letting others know this is a great resort! Stick with it! It may end up being your favorite like it is ours. The only reason we have not tried the other moderates is because the theme does not appeal to us. Hope you have a magical stay! As you can see from below we will be there this June :cool1: :teeth: :banana:

mjmcca
04-03-2006, 04:12 PM
If you really want to switch I found availabilty for your dates at AKL WL POP All Stars and FW cabins. IF you are on a plan or a discounted rate that may be what is no longer available. No moderate resort copmes up as available for those dates. If you decide to change you do have some choices.

Seahunt
04-03-2006, 05:25 PM
May 5 and 6 are "Grad Nights" at the MK also, so remember in your planning that the MK will close early on both nights! :thumbsup2

http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/mk/grad.htm

knovak
04-03-2006, 07:15 PM
I inquired today for May 9 through 16 and there were rooms available at CBR, CS and POR. :goodvibes

CleveRocks
04-03-2006, 10:55 PM
My question is we have booked the CBR for May 3rd thru the 11th and after reading some reviews (on other sites, I haven't got around to them here) it sounds like it's not a very nice place, so I decided to try elsewhere.
There are people here who state they don't prefer CBR because it is too spread out for them (which only matters if you get asigned a room way far out there), but I dont' recall reading any reviews that "it's not a very nice place." It's beautiful. I've stayed there twice and love it there. And I'm a very experienced traveler who does NOT have low standards. If you compare it to the Ritz-Carlton in St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands then sure, CBR is lacking, but it's a wonderful WDW moderate resort.

I stayed there last May 8 - 14. I think all the resorts were booked up then, too, but the parks were only very crowded on one day of that week (friday the 13th, of course!).

Iluvtgr
04-04-2006, 01:05 AM
I inquired today for May 9 through 16 and there were rooms available at CBR, CS and POR. :goodvibes

Well, it looks like either my travel agent or WDW people just don't want to change the reservation. I should have just booked this trip myself, but my friend is a travel agent so I thought I would help her out. I can't call and verify with WDW because they won't talk directly to me because I booked thru the TA.

Well, I guess it doesn't matter anyway because after reading all the replies to this thread CBR is looking much better to me :) Thank you!!

Mamu
04-04-2006, 06:38 AM
I also think you'll like CBR. My only problem with this resort is it size. It's huge! You can be a long, long way from the main building.

As far as May goes, I've always found this to be a very busy month. I think the say average attendance but feel it's on the high side of average.