PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary's cheap rooms -downside?

miamimama
04-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Just looking at rates and saw Contemporary's $249 - thought it might be worth it vs. a moderate if we got the free dining (monorail transport). Any thoughts?

tiggersmom2
04-01-2006, 09:26 PM
LOL....the "cheap rooms" are EXACTLY the same as the "moocho grande" rooms! ;) The only difference is the view and you are in the wings. I much prefer a wing with a parking lot view on the first floor. This way I have an AWESOME view of the magic kingdom and I can watch the fireworks on my patio while my 3 year old plays in the grass. :cloud9:

I must go book the Contemporary now...... :wave2:

bicker
04-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Personally, I find the Contemporary Garden Wings utterly without charm. I'd rather stay at any moderate resort.

goofy4tink
04-02-2006, 06:54 AM
Have to disagree with bicker...we were in the North Wing, ground level, facing the play area/lake. We loved it. Yes, the room was a bit 'colorful' but I wasn't going to live there forever!! Just a few nights. And we had a hurricane to contend with. We loved the CR and look forward to staying there again in the future. Loved being able to walk to the MK and a short monorail ride to the Epcot monorail.
There are a lot of restuarant choices there, good shopping. Sure, it's a bit dated but that isn't a huge deal. Charming? No, but a lot of fun. If I didn't want to spend a ton of money, I would be very happy in one of the wings!!!

PamNC
04-02-2006, 07:02 AM
in 1999 in a wing, North Wing I believe. We enjoyed our stay. Yes, the place is a bit run down but the location is wonderful and you have to think about the nostalgia and get all warm and fuzzy inside. It's one of the original resorts and I can't help but think about being a little kid and just being amazed at the monorail going through the resort.

Now, we haven't been back since 1999, because we prefer other resorts. But, with a great rate,I might give it another shot.

PamNC

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
04-02-2006, 10:43 AM
The renovations have made a vast difference in the Cont. rooms. We returned 3-21 from a stay in the south wing. The newly renovated rooms are great.

I would make a request on my resv. for a renovated room :thumbsup2

princessmomma
04-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Have they renovated any of the ground floor rooms in the North Wing yet? We stayed facing the lake and playground and it was awesome for my kids to just step out the door for some play time.

lark
04-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Rumor a while back is that they will not remodel the north wing, at least until they decide whether to demolish it and turn it into a DVC. That rumor goes back a few months, though, and I haven't really kept up with it.

MOMOFMNM
04-02-2006, 12:06 PM
The renovations have made a vast difference in the Cont. rooms. We returned 3-21 from a stay in the south wing. The newly renovated rooms are great.

I would make a request on my resv. for a renovated room :thumbsup2

do you have any pics?? I am interested in this option...thanks!

lisajl
04-02-2006, 12:17 PM
subscribing to see any photos. Someday.....someday....I will stay at the Contemporary!

GreatBarrier86
04-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Go here

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/g_contm.htm

and look at the 2nd section down entitled Model of Contemporary Resort's New Guest Rooms (Renovations through 2006)

I'm not sure if it's a tower room or a wing room but i think the renovations were all the same.

Jason

cstraub
04-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Being able to walk to the Magic Kingdom is great! We have stayed in the wings twice and loved it. Once we had a view overlooking the playground and lake and the other time we were right on the lake. It was lovely!

CR is my first choice everytime!

dustysky
04-02-2006, 12:22 PM
subscribing to see any photos. Someday.....someday....I will stay at the Contemporary!

Me to, I would be very upset if they made this hotel a DVC.... seem's DVC is for the very wealthy. That said I will never be a DVCer but would love to be able to stay in the contemporary some day ...

lisajl
04-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Go here

http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/g_contm.htm

and look at the 2nd section down entitled Model of Contemporary Resort's New Guest Rooms (Renovations through 2006)

I'm not sure if it's a tower room or a wing room but i think the renovations were all the same.

Jason

Jason! Thanks for that link! Wow! Those rooms look great!

dustysky---maybe I will meet you there someday! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Lisa

dustysky
04-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Jason!

dustysky---maybe I will meet you there someday! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Lisa

Hey if I ever win the lotto I will be sure to put you up girl :thumbsup2

GreatBarrier86
04-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Keep tabs on Allearsnet. Deb appears to update her stuff relatively often!

If anyone uses an RSS Feed Reader, you can subscribe to updates that way too.

lisajl
04-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Ditto here!! Guess I better start playing the lotto! :wizard:

lisajl
04-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Hey if I ever win the lotto I will be sure to put you up girl :thumbsup2

Ditto here!

disneyfan67
04-02-2006, 01:11 PM
While I agree with Bicker about the overall theming of the Garden rooms, I would stay there again if the price was right. I didn't care for the "Clown's Nightmare" of the old room decor, I did like how much room it had. It had a lot of space and the bathroom was huge, plus there was a seperate area with a door for the toliet.

The one thing I didn't understand was the lack of a balcony on the upper floors. You can open the door and there's room for a patio and you can see there's a concrete support for it, but it's like they forgot to finish it. I like the extra room a balcony provides and it's nice to have a cup of coffee, or an adult beverage at night and sit out and relax while the kids are still asleep. It's a neat feeling opening the door and hearing the sounds of the Magic Kingdom. Plus walking to MK isn't a bad option either. :teeth:

Sammie
04-02-2006, 01:24 PM
I think the new rooms are very nice. The South Wing is partially completed and should be completely finished with new rooms by summer. However the request for South Wing is that and it is a big request right now.

I find the Contemporary has it charm. The very best MK location of any resort. The walkway is fabulous.

Sammie
04-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Me to, I would be very upset if they made this hotel a DVC.... seem's DVC is for the very wealthy. That said I will never be a DVCer but would love to be able to stay in the contemporary some day ...

If they make a section of the resort DVC it will be just like the Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club and Boardwalk, with part DVC and part of of it not. They will not make the entire resort DVC.

dustysky
04-02-2006, 01:32 PM
If they make a section of the resort DVC it will be just like the Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club and Boardwalk, with part DVC and part of of it not. They will not make the entire resort DVC.

Oh good, thanks

lark
04-02-2006, 01:36 PM

Yes, that's what I heard. The rumor is that it will actually be a tower, like the main tower -- many stories high. It would be pretty big and could dwarf the existing south wing. Could be interesting. Again, all rumors, but they seem to know what they're talking about over on the DVC board.

roliepolieoliefan
04-02-2006, 01:42 PM
To me, the CR is the tower. If we couldn't afford it, I'd sooner stay at a moderate. JMOP!

lovetoseemickey
04-02-2006, 01:53 PM
Stayed there in Oct at a AP rate of $192 a night with tax. We had a first floor wing room and loved it. We could walk out our room and walk to the MK. The pool was open 24 hrs. and the arcade is one of my favorites. Although my husband likes to try different disney resort hotels, he compares everything to this trip. I don't know if he will ever be the same :rotfl2:
I would splurge on the Contemporary if this is your first trip or if you won't be going again for a while. Also- you have to check out the California Grill. It is on top of the Contemporary hotel and has amazing views of the MK. If you are lucky enough to get a reservation there, try to coincide it with the fireworks. They pipe in the music from the MK and turn the lights down. It is gorgeous.

Enjoy your planning :)

lovetoseemickey
04-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Just wanted to let Dusty know that DVC is not just for the wealthy. We just purchased 25 shares for about $2300 (a little more than the average cost of a disney vacation). annual dues 100.
That will get us two/three nights until 2054!
Check the resale page if you are really interested in DVC.
We are by no means wealthy- but we are rich in love :rotfl2:

jbird327
04-02-2006, 02:14 PM
While I agree with Bicker about the overall theming of the Garden rooms, I would stay there again if the price was right. I didn't care for the "Clown's Nightmare" of the old room decor, I did like how much room it had. It had a lot of space and the bathroom was huge, plus there was a seperate area with a door for the toliet.
:teeth:

When was the "Clown's Nightmare" (very well stated!) remodelling done? I don't remember the rooms looking that way when I was there in the early 80s.