PDA

View Full Version : ok now I'm mad

gabbysmom04
04-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Now I love being a DVC member but I am mad that I pay $400 a month for my DVC but cannot get any of the really good perks that are offered to other people. Sure I get a discount on things but free night and now free dining again! Sometimes it really stinks!!! :confused3 Since we pay for Disney should'nt we get something free too?

Sammie
04-01-2006, 07:45 PM
I understand completely, just make sure you don't read some of the comments from Renters who are now upset they are renting points and having to pay for the Dining Plan. I mean do they not realize what a bargain they are getting. I read a few discussions on cancelling their rental and going with the Plan.

Members who are renting I would be careful about the effect this might have on your reservations. Hope no one gets left with a points reservation.

DebbieB
04-01-2006, 07:53 PM
The free dining plan requires paying full rate for the room. You are getting a great rate on the room. Would you be upset if CRO ran a discount for 25% off the rooms? This is another way to give a discount. Calling it "free dining" but requiring a full rate room comes out the same, especially for the higher rate rooms. The best deal with the free dining is staying at a value or moderate because the free dining comes out to a higher percent off, especially if you have more than 2 people. The deluxes may not be as good. If you have 2 adults, the free dining would be equal to $76 off. Many times deluxes are offered for $100 off room rates. Again "free dining" is just another way to promote a discount. It also keeps people tied to WDW property.

gabbysmom04
04-01-2006, 08:15 PM
debbieb, when you put it that way I don't feel so bad. I just think that since we all pay so much for the DVC we should be given something for free or for a really good deal. It was so hard to get the dining plan for DVC! I think I just want an excuse for another trip to WDW

JimMIA
04-01-2006, 08:29 PM
I understand completely, just make sure you don't read some of the comments from Renters who are now upset they are renting points and having to pay for the Dining Plan. I mean do they not realize what a bargain they are getting. I read a few discussions on cancelling their rental and going with the Plan.

Members who are renting I would be careful about the effect this might have on your reservations. Hope no one gets left with a points reservation.
I think the calmer minds will do the actual math and find they come out better renting DVC and paying for the dining plan. I've seen a couple of posts to that effect already.

Plus, the "free" dining is only for a 6-week period when Disney can't fill the rooms because of hurricane season, school starting, etc, etc.

On the bright side, I sure did enjoy my DVC AP discount X 2 today!

DebbieB
04-01-2006, 08:36 PM
debbieb, when you put it that way I don't feel so bad. I just think that since we all pay so much for the DVC we should be given something for free or for a really good deal. It was so hard to get the dining plan for DVC! I think I just want an excuse for another trip to WDW

Don't forget the $100 off annual passes. They added the dining plan without the MYW ticket requirement. I think DVC under Jim Lewis is working hard to get DVC member benefits.

1000th happy haunt
04-01-2006, 11:27 PM
And DVC members get quite a few discounts on dining, recreation, shopping, tours, etc.

wdwstar
04-02-2006, 06:17 AM
dont forget DVC Members can get a 25% discount on dvc rooms if they are available for a cash discount. I remember a couple of years ago I could have booked a 2 bedroom at the okw for Easter, yep can believe at Easter time, getting a 25% discount. I didnt need a 2 bedroom but it would have been nice.

bicker
04-02-2006, 06:18 AM
Not to mention how much less we're paying for accommodations, over the course of time.

Galahad
04-02-2006, 06:39 AM
Not to mention how much less we're paying for accommodations, over the course of time.

Way less! I wonder if the frustration is greater if you paid for your points more recently and the big $$ outlay is more memorable. We paid for our points over 10 years ago. I remember feeling like, "hey, we just paid $xx,xxx for this, you'd think they'd be more accomodating". Now, I just think I'm getting a great deal.

bicker
04-02-2006, 06:54 AM
And that's like any such purchase. I remember when we bought our house: We put $280,000 on the line -- you'd think the builder would be more accommodating! :rotfl: Now, I'd be happy if he'd just tell us who installed something so we can pay the guy to fix it!

senecabeach
04-02-2006, 07:26 AM
Things are not always what they seem!! :goodvibes

Beware of the word "FREE"...I don't "expect" a perk but nice to have when I can capitalize on it. :woohoo:

Disney "owes" me nothing...I bought a timeshare! :thumbsup2

bicker
04-02-2006, 07:35 AM
One thing I'm realizing, these days, is that there are a lot of things that aren't what they seem. I don't think there was a single DIS veteran saying that Disney would surely do "free dining" again -- the vast majority were sure they never would. The popularity of the for-pay dining plan sure made it seem that they didn't "need" to. What we've learned from this is that they've managed to significantly reduce the costs of the food and beverage operations so now giving dining away is a very viable promotion, looking at the long-term, not just as an introductory promotion.

By the same token, it wasn't clear why Disney would offer dining plan to DVC members at all, and surely didn't seem like there was any reason they'd do so at the same price they were charging cash customers, for whom the dining plan seemed to represent an attractive loss-leader. Yet, they did.

So I'm gun-shy about saying that Disney wouldn't ever offer free dining to DVC members. :rotfl:

CarolMN
04-02-2006, 07:50 AM
One thing I'm realizing, these days, is that there are a lot of things that aren't what they seem. I don't think there was a single DIS veteran saying that Disney would surely do "free dining" again -- the vast majority were sure they never would. The popularity of the for-pay dining plan sure made it seem that they didn't "need" to. ...(snip)...........By the same token, it wasn't clear why Disney would offer dining plan to DVC members at all, and surely didn't seem like there was any reason they'd do so at the same price they were charging cash customers, for whom the dining plan seemed to represent an attractive loss-leader. Yet, they did.

So I'm gun-shy about saying that Disney wouldn't ever offer free dining to DVC members. :rotfl:Me, too. Who among us would ever have predicted that DVC would offer members a $100 discount on annual passes? I was hoping for 10% and would have been thrilled with 15% or 20%!!! Thank you DVC!

Best wishes -

Dizzy4Dizney
04-02-2006, 07:51 AM
Also, DVC offers dining discounts, free valet parking, pool hopping, golf discounts, etc.

FRANKTSJR
04-02-2006, 08:40 AM
AP Pass x 2? Is there a special AP Pass promotion going on?

gabbysmom04
04-02-2006, 08:47 AM
I understand what everyone is saying. I just bought two years ago with an add on last year so the payments are fresh in my mind. In fact we are still paying right now. I agree that when it is paid off I will think a bit different. I know that disney does not really have to sell us on coming we all own there so even if we don't set foot in WDW we are still paying. BTW I really do love DVC I just would love something free!!! Who would'nt? I am sure my OP made me sould a bit crazy!

Figment2
04-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Frank, no special AP promotion. As a DVC member, there is a discount on annual passes (with certain limitations).

Cyn

MinnieGirl33
04-02-2006, 09:43 AM
"Free" AP is with a 120 (130?) point add-on. You can get 1 day hoppers with smaller add-ons.

jarestel
04-02-2006, 09:47 AM
Well, if you think about it, this is just a little bit funny. We - DVC members - clamored for the right to be able to purchase the dining plan and once DVC got Disney to agree to this, they make it free for everyone else. :rotfl2:

Ok, I know nothing is actually free, but this is still funny. Next time we clamor, we should probably clamor for "free" stuff!

DebbieB
04-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Well, if you think about it, this is just a little bit funny. We - DVC members - clamored for the right to be able to purchase the dining plan and once DVC got Disney to agree to this, they make it free for everyone else. :rotfl2:

Ok, I know nothing is actually free, but this is still funny. Next time we clamor, we should probably clamor for "free" stuff!

Keep in mind it's only "free" for a short period, which is a low occupancy time. It's not free forever.

twinklebug
04-02-2006, 10:53 AM
I've made up my mind to buy into DVC. The plan is to do so before Nov. of this year, I just need to convince DH and the bank account.

When I saw Free Dining advertised yesterday, of course part of me screamed "I'm crazy to pass that up!" . Well, I crunched through numbers with free dining verses DVC ownership verses DVC rental (if for some reason I cannot convince DH) and came to the conclusion that (for us) the ONLY thing Free Dining in Sept. had over DVC usage (either rental or ownership) in Dec was cheaper airfare - IF it's available. :teeth:

Don't fret - you OWN a part of Disney :love:
all the other visitors can say is they got a few "free" meals. Just remember the adage... nothing life is free. They may also get a few bonus days stuck in their value/moderate room or even better... in an airport as bad weather makes its way through. Oooo, sounds like fun! (Of course I don't wish this for ANYONE, I'm just trying to make my case) :goodvibes

Daddio
04-02-2006, 11:48 AM
For all the DVC members who really want to get the dining plan for free, there is a way. Rent out some of your points, take that money and book a rack rate room through CRO with MYW tickets and get the Dining Plan.

Of course, you may find it more expensive this way if you intend to stay in a deluxe resort but would work well in a moderate or value.

sajetto
04-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Keep in mind it's only "free" for a short period, which is a low occupancy time. It's not free forever.

Right, and you know why its free for that time period...........the kids are out of school and the hurricanes are a comin'!

cobbler
04-02-2006, 12:47 PM
That is a ton of food on the dining plan. We went last year with my dad and his new wife. They had the free dining, we had an AP discount (we didn't own DVC yet) and had the DDE card.

There was so much food that they gave us 2 of their counter service meals and got 4 more easy ones (like hot dogs) to take on the drive home.

So I don't care if they offer free dining to me because
1- I don't think I could eat that much
2 - I like the flexibility of DDE
3 - I don't want to be tied down to think I have to use all my credits

Joni
04-02-2006, 02:17 PM
what is the free dining plan?

Sammie
04-02-2006, 02:20 PM
what is the free dining plan? Go to the Restaurants or Resorts Forums and you will find plenty of info discussing the Dining plan. :thumbsup2

TDC Nala
04-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Why freak out about the free dining? DVC still seems to me like a better deal even if you buy the dining plan, especially for AP holders. Is it just the magical effect of the word "free?"

Doctor P
04-02-2006, 02:23 PM
"Free" AP is with a 120 (130?) point add-on. You can get 1 day hoppers with smaller add-ons.

I believe that the alternative is one day/one park passes (as in past promotions). Big difference. (Not being criticial, just trying to be accurate).

DebbieB
04-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Why freak out about the free dining? DVC still seems to me like a better deal even if you buy the dining plan, especially for AP holders. Is it just the magical effect of the word "free?"

Yes, a marketing genius' creation!

TDC Nala
04-02-2006, 02:43 PM
I tried the math. I have 4 nights at OKW on points over labor day weekend, paying for the dining plan.

For me and my friend, this is OOP expense of $159.96 each for the dining plan and an extra $80 for my friend because that's what I'm charging her to stay 4 nights. For her it's $239.96. We both have APs.

For us to book Pop Century as a package with the free dining and one day base tickets (since we are both AP holders) would cost $492.76 for the 4 nights, or $246.38 each. My friend is saving about 7 bucks going this way. I'm saving about 87. That isn't much, but we have an OKW room as opposed to a PC one.

To book the package at OKW would have cost $668.13 EACH, not in total.

CarolA
04-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Now I love being a DVC member but I am mad that I pay $400 a month for my DVC but cannot get any of the really good perks that are offered to other people. Sure I get a discount on things but free night and now free dining again! Sometimes it really stinks!!! :confused3 Since we pay for Disney should'nt we get something free too?

I really hope you are kidding, but NO you aren't entitled anything FREE.

Let's see you get a discont on an annual pass, you can buy dining at the same price Disney normally sells it for, you get discounts are resturants ...

Disney is a business not a "let's make DVC members happy"charity

gammieatwdw
04-02-2006, 07:26 PM

Nothing in life is ever free. If those people really think they are getting some type of deal with this "free dining plan" then Disney is a master. Lets see..... all I have to do is pay rack rate, pay for tickets for all of the guests and then "free dining". Doesn't sound so free to me. People would be much better off renting points or looking for deals on the room. Thanks but no thanks, we'll stick with DVC. Call me crazy but DVC doesn't owe me any freebies, just what I paid for.

gammieatwdw
04-02-2006, 07:31 PM
One thing I'm realizing, these days, is that there are a lot of things that aren't what they seem. I don't think there was a single DIS veteran saying that Disney would surely do "free dining" again -- the vast majority were sure they never would. The popularity of the for-pay dining plan sure made it seem that they didn't "need" to. What we've learned from this is that they've managed to significantly reduce the costs of the food and beverage operations so now giving dining away is a very viable promotion, looking at the long-term, not just as an introductory promotion.

By the same token, it wasn't clear why Disney would offer dining plan to DVC members at all, and surely didn't seem like there was any reason they'd do so at the same price they were charging cash customers, for whom the dining plan seemed to represent an attractive loss-leader. Yet, they did.

So I'm gun-shy about saying that Disney wouldn't ever offer free dining to DVC members. :rotfl:

Free dining isn't free. Those packages are an arm and a leg so throwing in a little food is no big deal. Think about only the food cost they are giving for "free", not the price charged for the food. They aren't giving much. Disney doesn't do anything unless it benefits them. I'm not surprised at all to se this gimmick come back. If they sucked even a few people into it, it is worth doing it again. The "freebie people" are getting taken for an old fashioned Disney Ride.

Chuck S
04-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Free dining isn't free. Those packages are an arm and a leg so throwing in a little food is no big deal. Think about only the food cost they are giving for "free", not the price charged for the food. They aren't giving much. Disney doesn't do anything unless it benefits them. I'm not surprised at all to se this gimmick come back. If they sucked even a few people into it, it is worth doing it again. The "freebie people" are getting taken for an old fashioned Disney Ride.

Really, it is great marketing. I know from my experience in retail most people don't take the time to do the math. WE alwyas had better response to "Buy 3 get 1 free" ads (a 25% discount), than we did to a "35% Off" ad. You certaily can't blame Disney for sticking with something that works. No business, Disney or otherwise, runs "specials" unless they think it will be of benefit to the business. That is how advertising is supposed to work. No one is getting "taken for a ride." They simply respond better to "Free" than "Discount."

gammieatwdw
04-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Really, it is great marketing. I know from my experience in retail most people don't take the time to do the math. WE alwyas had better response to "Buy 3 get 1 free" ads (a 25% discount), than we did to a "35% Off" ad. You certaily can't blame Disney for sticking with something that works. No business, Disney or otherwise, runs "specials" unless they think it will be of benefit to the business. That is how advertising is supposed to work. No one is getting "taken for a ride." They simply respond better to "Free" than "Discount."

Well put Chuck. It is a great marketing plan. People should do the math before they jump on this "free" promotion. I think in most cases people would be saving money going other routes. Free is a powerful word for sure. Thanks again.

mikesmom
04-02-2006, 09:10 PM
I agree with Chuck. It may be "free" but it isn't without cost. On top of that, I'm not sure all that many people could actually eat all that "free" food, particularly in September when it is still plenty hot. I know if it were our family, half of the free meals would never get used. I suspect Disney is counting on that.

DrTomorrow
04-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Me, too. Who among us would ever have predicted that DVC would offer members a $100 discount on annual passes? I was hoping for 10% and would have been thrilled with 15% or 20%!!! Thank you DVC!

Best wishes - The AP discounts I can understand; Disney must make a fair amount of additional $$$ whenever someone spends time in a park. Plus, it is my opinion that, the longer a DVC owner has been an owner, the more likely there are to skip a day or three from the Disney parks during trips - perhaps to relax, perhaps at US/IOA/SW/Jesusland - and the AP discount will help keep folks close to "Home".

But free dining - I agree with bicker, they must have figured out a way keep dining costs way down. Here's another thought: I wonder if they discovered a fairly high amount of unredeemed food coupons. This too would make it 'cheaper' to offer....

IMHO - YMMV

Anewman
04-03-2006, 02:56 AM
DVC members also get this perk, I read the fine print and DVC members are not excluded from the free dining offer.

DVC members have the same requirements as non members(pay rack rate for a package).

Jen D
04-03-2006, 04:04 AM
I would be willing to bet they sell a lot more wine and booze to diners who are on the meal plan, free or otherwise.... if it's already paid for, people don't mind adding a couple bottles of wine or Lapu Lapus....

dianeschlicht
04-03-2006, 06:33 AM
Nothing is free, and everything comes at a price. Should I expect our contractor to buy my groceries since I paid him 7 figures to build my house? I doubt he would go for that idea. It's really the same with DVC.

DrTomorrow
04-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Talking about Disney marketing, Dining Plan and AP discount, of minor interest is this thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1072498) from the News & Rumors board about Universal's attendance. A few quotes:

Universal Orlando overcame a steep drop in attendance last year -- which it blamed in part on Walt Disney World's aggressive marketing -- to earn record profits.

Universal offered several reasons for the smaller crowds: [...] And Disney's big 50th-anniversary promotion and new flexible ticket plans lured people away.

Universal hopes to boost attendance this year with a new advertising campaign, its own flexible ticket plan and a "kids get in free" deal.

Several industry observers said the company needs to, because attendance is the driving factor of theme-park income. (emphasis added).

sajetto
04-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Talking about Disney marketing, Dining Plan and AP discount, of minor interest is this thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1072498) from the News & Rumors board about Universal's attendance. A few quotes:

I know this is just a little OT, but you really do have to seriously consider Disney's genius marketing. I've noticed that Universal has tried its hardest to come back with the same attack with "kids stay and eat free", but also if you look at their website they have a "compare to Disney" page where they show how Universal is soooo much better than Disney :rolleyes: Along with those stupid commericals where the bratty kid says "Sure, I liked fairy tales....when I was five."

LIFERBABE
04-03-2006, 04:34 PM
I agree with Doc and Saje :goodvibes

Getting you there is half the battle. Just like Vegas. Once they get you, then they need to keep you. If you have free meal ressies every night, you aint goin nowhere! :lmao:

We did "free" dining last year, we tipped more, we drank more and we were in a restaurant every night.

I just wish people would compare DVC resorts on points to Deluxe CRO packages. If they do the math based on that, they will find they are coming out cheaper renting points.

Value Resorts and Mods are not even close to DVC studios.

And the tickets are not included in this package, they are full priced.

I also agree that we are not owed anything. If you want to pay rack rate for a Deluxe Resort and pay Gate Price for MYW tickets, feel free but I dont think DVC should give that to us.

CarolMN
04-03-2006, 05:09 PM
...(snip)...
I just wish people would compare DVC resorts on points to Deluxe CRO packages. If they do the math based on that, they will find they are coming out cheaper renting points........Doesn't bother me if people don't think renting points is a good deal. The fewer people renting, the longer I can procrastinate and still end up with a reservation at my beloved home resort! ;) :rotfl2:

Best wishes -

twister
04-03-2006, 05:50 PM
So only cash paying customers get the plan?

I pre paid my cash stays with DVC, or atleast that is what the guide told me I was doing when I wrote out the 15k dollar check.

Chuck S
04-03-2006, 06:36 PM

I pre paid my cash stays with DVC, or atleast that is what the guide told me I was doing when I wrote out the 15k dollar check.

Actually not all cash customers can get the free dining, only those paying rack rate (non-discounted).

Let's do a comparison. Rooms start at $269 per night at SSR (plus tax). Given the current price of $98 per point divided by the number of years remaining on the contract that comes to about $2.09 per point. Now add the dues, I'm not sure what they are at SSR, so I'll guess $4.25 for a total of $6.34 per point this year. A studio in September for one week is 95 points for a total outlay (room only) of $602.30

Now $269 for 7 nights would be $1883.00. Add (again I'm guessing) 11% room tax for a total of $2090.13 for a difference of $1487.83. I did try to verify the cash figures on the Disney website, but they are showing no availability, but it did say rooms START at $269 at SSR.

$200+ per day for "free dining". I wouldn't complain too loudly. And that includes two weekend nights, stays of Sun to Fri would save a great deal more. Even adding the DVC dining plan for two adults, you're still saving over $900.

twister
04-03-2006, 06:43 PM
You are totaly ignoring the fact of giving Disney 15k up front and in advance. I doubt if most people had that 15k stored in a coffee can collecting no intrest, nor do I think Disney hasn't invested that money and gotten a return on the investment.

Chuck S
04-03-2006, 06:56 PM
OK, 1487.82 less the cost for a dining plan for two adults is: $955.97. Or, an annual return of 6.37%. Sounds like a good ROI to me. Many "investments" pay less than that.

Now, we wouldn't use the dining plan, it doesn't fit our dining style. So, for the $1487.83 for room only, we're getting the equivalent of a 9.91% annual return. And that would be for new SSR purchasers.

In reality, we are getting a much higher return as we purchased at $51.50 per point.

twister
04-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Many long term investments get higher then 9.91%. What if the person bought SS points and borrowed money from Disney? The math doesn't look so good then.

My point is simply, that DVC member do pay cash for their rooms, they just pay up front in exhange for a pre paid discount.

Here is my 15k I'll give you 800 more evey year and I'll come to your park and spend more money.

Chuck S
04-03-2006, 07:09 PM
But your point isn't valid, even you admit we are getting "discounted" rooms. Under those terms alone we are not eligible for free dining. And looking at a daily average of $86.04 for a week in a SSR studio using points vs. $269, that is a 68% discount.

twister
04-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Yes we get a "discount" if we give Disney 15k dollars and promise to give them 600-800 more each year.

Sammie
04-03-2006, 07:39 PM
I agree with Chuck. It may be "free" but it isn't without cost. On top of that, I'm not sure all that many people could actually eat all that "free" food, particularly in September when it is still plenty hot. I know if it were our family, half of the free meals would never get used. I suspect Disney is counting on that.

Something else to consider. Free Dining is offered during the peak of Hurricane Season, which I am sure has something to do with when they offer it.

What happens to the free dining, when the restaurants are closed and you are stuck in your room. Will Disney bring you a free packed lunch? ;)

bicker
04-04-2006, 05:42 AM
Yes we get a "discount" if we give Disney 15k dollars and promise to give them 600-800 more each year.Yup. We just broken even last year, so it takes several years for that discount to pay off, but from now on, for us, it's all gravy.

Caskbill
04-04-2006, 06:37 AM
You are totaly ignoring the fact of giving Disney 15k up front and in advance. I doubt if most people had that 15k stored in a coffee can collecting no intrest, nor do I think Disney hasn't invested that money and gotten a return on the investment.Disney doesn't have that money either. They used it to construct the resorts in the first place.

That's what timeshares are all about. Construction costs, sales costs, Furnishings, Landscaping, Support structures, Roads, Lights, Waterways, Land, taxes, legal documents....and so on. All paid for by the initial buy-in by the members.

Remember, by law, DVC cannot make a profit. If any money was left over and later invested, those returns must go back into the association, not into Disney's pockets.

dianeschlicht
04-04-2006, 07:56 AM
Disney doesn't have that money either. They used it to construct the resorts in the first place.

That's what timeshares are all about. Construction costs, sales costs, Furnishings, Landscaping, Support structures, Roads, Lights, Waterways, Land, taxes, legal documents....and so on. All paid for by the initial buy-in by the members.

Remember, by law, DVC cannot make a profit. If any money was left over and later invested, those returns must go back into the association, not into Disney's pockets.
Thanks for posting this, Bill! It is a great way to explain that DVC is a timeshare and operates as such. THanks for putting it into the RIGHT words!

CarolMN
04-04-2006, 08:02 AM
...(snip)...Remember, by law, DVC cannot make a profit. If any money was left over and later invested, those returns must go back into the association, not into Disney's pockets.i don't think this is quite true. Disney cannot "mark up" most operating costs (for our dues), but I'm very sure that the Developer (Disney) did/does make a profit on the construction of the resorts.

Best wishes -

cobbler
04-04-2006, 09:21 AM

Ok the way I see it, this is only being offered for 6 weeks out of the 52 weeks this year. And there are no guarantees this will ever be offered again.

So yeah I did give them $$ up front and dues every year but I am getting far superior accomodations. So what if I have to pay for dining while some of the others get it free for a small percentage (11%) of the year. I have the flexibility of going whenever I want and the othes will have to pay for it just like I do. And during that time I know I have a far nicer room.

And next year if they don't offer it, I am still doing good in my well appointed room.

bicker
04-04-2006, 01:56 PM
The developer definitely made profit on the initial sale. The point is that that is the only part that the developer can make profit on. The developer cannot add a profit contribution to the dues (though the management company can charge a reasonable fee for its administrative services).

TDC Nala
04-04-2006, 06:55 PM
The "free dining plan" is NOT a perk meant to favor one type of traveler over another. It's an incentive WDW is using to try and sell rooms at rack rate during the slowest time of the year, to travelers who are no doubt already skittish about hurricanes. They don't need to use it to sell rooms to DVC members. We're lucky to even have the dining plan available to us at all without having to buy park tickets to go with it.

If the free dining plan is a spectacular deal for you, by all means cancel your DVC reservation and book a package at rack rate. Unless you're renting...then you may have to have a chat with the member you're renting from.

byoung
04-04-2006, 08:12 PM
We get a great AP discount. Sure we all want a lot more. They gave us the DDP without buying tickets. They are trying for us.

Dean
04-05-2006, 07:42 PM

Ok, I know nothing is actually free, but this is still funny. Next time we clamor, we should probably clamor for "free" stuff!As i said previously, you just can't please people. You ask for the pay dining plan and they finally come through and it's not enough. Every single DVC member can take advantage of the free dining if they want by reserving on cash through CRO or Disney Travel and paying the requisite fees for the required items. Some did so last year with the free dining option.

This is little different than any business (phone, etc) giving a benefit or incentive to new customers but withholding it from existing customers.

CRSNDSNY
04-06-2006, 05:24 AM
I'm thrilled that they've offered us a buy-in to the dining plan and the DDE. That makes me happy because, really, they aren't entitled to give us these things.

LakeAriel
04-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Also, DVC offers dining discounts, free valet parking, pool hopping, golf discounts, etc.
It appears pool hopping is for anyone with an oversized beach bag and a map of the bus system. I hope all these resorts are cracking down and checking ID. Pool hopping is one perk I see as a negative.

DebbieB
04-06-2006, 05:47 PM
I just saw that the free dining can be booked online. Just for the fun of it, I put in 5 nights in late Aug for 1 adult, 1 12 year old, 1 one day base ticket each, "free" dining plan. BWV 1 bedroom = $2,422. We are going in June, staying on points (150), same room. Dining Plan is $380 for 5 nights for 2. I have to buy her a 6 day hopper = $257, I have an AP. Total = $637. I'm not complaining.

LakeAriel
04-07-2006, 08:10 AM
I just saw that the free dining can be booked online. Just for the fun of it, I put in 5 nights in late Aug for 1 adult, 1 12 year old, 1 one day base ticket each, "free" dining plan. BWV 1 bedroom = $2,422. We are going in June, staying on points (150), same room. Dining Plan is $380 for 5 nights for 2. I have to buy her a 6 day hopper = $257, I have an AP. Total = $637. I'm not complaining.
Not exactly. How much did you pay in dues this year?

LIFERBABE
04-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Not exactly. How much did you pay in dues this year?

Even if you add in the dues for the 150 points ($650) that is $1300 compared to $2400 with free Dining.

I just ran similar numbers for a late September stay in a studio at BCV for 5 nights and with a 1 day base, 2 Adults, stand. room the Free Dining would cost $323 more than points, and I value my points at $11 each.

We dont want to stay in a Value, so Free Dining would cost us alot more than staying on points.

LakeAriel
04-07-2006, 10:40 AM
I do agree it is an excellent value. It is just that often people say owners go to Disney for free or have no say because it's free etc and it is not. ;)

DisFlan
04-07-2006, 11:32 AM
I do agree it is an excellent value. It is just that often people say owners go to Disney for free or have no say because it's free etc and it is not. ;)

No, it's not free, but we all signed a contract when we bought. DVC owes us nothing that isn't in that contract. Any added perks and discounts (or access to a dining plan) are all gravy. I think DVC does a good job in this area. They don't HAVE to negotiate for or offer us any type of goodies, but they offer a pretty fair list of them.

Perks and discounts can come and go (and do). I'm happy with the basic DVC as it stands. It's a good deal all by itself.

DisFlan

mommytomy3
04-07-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm thrilled that they've offered us a buy-in to the dining plan and the DDE. That makes me happy because, really, they aren't entitled to give us these things.

Are we (dvc'ers) allowed to purchase a DDE card? I thought you could only get that as a AP holder? I would love to buy one if I can!!

DebbieB
04-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Are we (dvc'ers) allowed to purchase a DDE card? I thought you could only get that as a AP holder? I would love to buy one if I can!!

No, DDE is not available to DVC members who are not FL Residents or AP Holders.

Lake Ariel - yes, dues have to be considered and also the original cost. But DVC is still a good deal, we're still ahead vs the "free" dining.

CRSNDSNY
04-07-2006, 12:19 PM
No, DDE is not available to DVC members who are not FL Residents or AP Holders.
My bad.
That's right...I bought the DDE with my AP.

gabbysmom04
04-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Good lord who knew one little post would upset so many people. As I have already said yes, I am happy with DVC but sometimes I get excited that there are special offers sometimes. I know that DVC is a great deal! That is the reason I bought it. Like I said before I was just looking for an excuse to book another trip. I am very happy that they are at least offering the DDP to DVC members now. I for one have bought it for my next two trips. BTW I am glad that people did the math for me. I can see without a doubt that it is not really that good of a deal.

LakeAriel
04-08-2006, 12:30 PM
I feel that I was able to optimize both. I already had a reservation at POFQ for 4 days prior to checking in with my DVC points. The reason? Points over the weekend are HIGH! So this sudden free dining was a bonus! I gave up my AAA discount but am paying $70 more for the two of us to eat (very well) for 4 days. While at DVC I'll purchase the DDP. Win, win situation. :cool1:

Muushka
04-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Yes, the free dining plan is also available for DVC members as Dean mentioned. All you have to do is take advantage of it!

My family (sister and cousin) were planning on a visit to me here in NC in Sept. When the free dining came out, I suggested doing it at WDW and getting the free dining. So that is what we are doing. We made a reservation for ASM (pray for me...) for 3 adults and it is much less than it would have cost us at our DVC. We are saving the points and will enjoy the meals and each other. Life is good...

MOQu
04-09-2006, 07:45 PM
I am thrilled about the Free Dining. We are going for 8 nights the last week in August and staying at Pop Century. For $79+tax a night (plus having to purchase 1 one-day ticket which I'll just upgrade to season passes with the DVC discount I was going to buy anyway) we get free food for DH, DS15, DD14, and myself. When we go to BWV in February 2007, I'll be paying $152/day for our dining plan plus using my DVC points. What a deal for the August trip! It's like getting a room for free (small though it may be :lmao: )

deerh
04-09-2006, 08:49 PM
AMEN! I second the $100 off of the annual pass. I just saved $400 on my car insurance, I mean my AP's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl2:

DeerH

Tinky
04-09-2006, 09:28 PM
AMEN! I second the $100 off of the annual pass. I just saved $400 on my car insurance, I mean my AP's!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl2:

DeerH
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

dianeschlicht
04-10-2006, 10:14 AM
I am thrilled about the Free Dining. We are going for 8 nights the last week in August and staying at Pop Century. For $79+tax a night (plus having to purchase 1 one-day ticket which I'll just upgrade to season passes with the DVC discount I was going to buy anyway) we get free food for DH, DS15, DD14, and myself. When we go to BWV in February 2007, I'll be paying $152/day for our dining plan plus using my DVC points. What a deal for the August trip! It's like getting a room for free (small though it may be :lmao: )
...And depending on how you dine, you might just be better off using that AP do buy a DDE card for your next year's worth of trips.