PDA

View Full Version : What is Shades of Green?

Biscuitsmom31
04-01-2006, 11:43 AM
I know it's a resort and has something to do with the military? Is it a Disney resort? What are the requirments to stay there?

BabyFu18
04-01-2006, 11:48 AM
The resort is owned by the military I believe Disney has leased the property to them for a certain period of time. To stay at SOG you can check their website at shadesofgreen.org for information. I know active military, retired military, and DoD personel can stay at shades the rates though depend on rank, even at the highest rank SOG is much cheaper compared to other Disney hotels (moderate/delux).

Biscuitsmom31
04-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Hmmm. My father is a 100% Disabled war veteran. I saw on the website that he is a qualifying person. He and my mother have been considering coming to the world with us this fall. Would the savings at SOG be worth giving up the free dining deal?

BabyFu18
04-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Depends on if they want to do all of their dining at Disney and what their SOG rate is. If they want to dine away from Disney a few times, then yea the savings at SOG would be great for them. I guess it just depends. I'm actually trying to decide if SOG is where I should stay over staying in a moderate w/free dining. It's just something that has to be played around with (numbers and such).

Tinker*Shell*Bell
04-01-2006, 12:51 PM
It also depends on where you were planning on staying. SOG is equal to a Deluxe disney hotel and at at least 1/2 the price the savings could cover the cost of your dining. If you were staying at a value and transfered to SOG you would be paying about the same for SOG but not getting dining, not a great trade. The moderates with free dining might still be better than SOG w/o dining but I haven't done out the math. It's at least worth looking into SOG if you were planning a moderate or a deluxe.

Sleepy
04-02-2006, 05:14 AM
I also think, depending on the disability, SOG might be a better choice due to the transportation. SOG has their own transportation to most locations(and you can also use Disney's). Have not been there in several years, but when we would visit (July/August), the buses were less crowded and much comfier. The entire atmosphere was more relaxed and I think that is important when dealing with a physical disability.

scrubnurse
04-02-2006, 04:32 PM
We stayed at SOG in March, and we were very impressed! We will definately book there again for next trip! The free dining is a great deal, so you would have to weigh it out. As far as the dining meal plan, we played with the numbers, and for us we were better off at SOG, and we like to eat at least one table meal a day. We are a family of four, with two boys, 6 & 8.
To ditto the PP, SOG transportation was MUCH better than other Disney buses. EVERY disney bus we got on, we were stuck standing up, for a very long ride. Not much fun after a long day at the park. We were at SOG for nine days, and NEVER once had to stand up, there was always a seat for us, plus you are only minutes from TTC. Depending on your Dad's disability, he may not be able to tolerate standing on those disney buses. My Dad is also a disabled vet, and his knees can not take standing up for long periods. We were so happy to have SOG transportation!
On a side note, we were not impressed with SOG food. Stick with the parks!

Tink's Pixieduster
04-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Another benefit of SOG is there are no taxes for the room, food, or the on-site shop.

On the downside, depending on how you view it, there is no ME transportation to/from the airport (not everyone likes ME). If you are flying in you would have to hire a limo/town car/taxi, or get a rental car.