PDA

View Full Version : Important Info on Room Key Reissues

formernyer
04-01-2006, 10:36 AM
I didn't see this posted anywhere else...

This is just something for people to keep in mind when traveling to Disney. It almost caused me a lot of aggrevation...

On the last day of my trip we accidentally locked the keys in the room. I went to the concierge desk and new keys were printed. She said she had to print out all three again, but she never told me why. I've traveled a lot and whenever I've locked my key in the room I've been issued a one-time-use key to get me back into the room. I assumed this was the case here and I never questioned it. I discarded the one-time-use keys after we got back into the room.

We checked out of the room a few minutes later and headed to the food court for breakfast before catching a bus to the park. We hadn't eaten breakfast the entire trip, but we had leftover CS credits that needed to be used that day. When I handed the cashier the card to "pay" for the breakfasts it showed up as invalid. She called the front desk and they said that the card was no longer active. Apparently if you get a replacement key for the room, the original one no longer works FOR ANYTHING. I went to the front desk and had three new cards printed, which worked fine.

It was just plain luck that we happened to try to use the card at the hotel food court that morning. If we went straight to the park that morning like we did every other day, we would have been stuck at the park entrance with invalid park passes and invalid DDP credits.

I hope posting this helps somebody out there, because I know it could have caused me a LOT of aggrevation/frustration if I left for the park before I knew my cards were invalid.

Praise2Him
04-01-2006, 01:25 PM
That's true, we ended up with 10 keys one time. We have 5 in our family and our DD lost her key. Since she had charging privileges on it, they cancelled all 5 keys and reissued them. (She later found the key) I guess they have to do it that way for security purposes?

Becky2005
04-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Must be only for those with charging privileges. :confused3 We didn't put charging on our cards. DH's quit working at EPCOT one day, we found out at the FastPass machine. We weren't sure if it was just the machine or his card until we got back to the room and his wouldn't work in the door either.

His was the only card replaced. The rest of ours were not. They worked fine.

Good to know though if they replace all your cards, use the new ones.

formernyer
04-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Actually we never added the charging priviliges to our cards, so I don't think that had anything to do with it. They just work opposite from most hotels. Most hotels cancel the replacement card after it is used. Disney cancels the ORIGINAL cards and all priviliges on them (such as park entrance, meals, etc.) I actually tried to use one of the cancelled cards later in the day for fast pass purposes, thinking maybe I could get FPs for two rides at once...it didn't work for that either.

It actually makes sense that if they cancel one of the cards that they need to cancel all of them, since the credits are preloaded into the original card numbers. The way that they issue the new cards is to add to the final two digits on your customer number. If you have a party of 3, the last two digits on each card will be 01, 02, and 03. When they reissue, they reload the entire party and you now become 04, 05, and 06.