PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a cheat day?

DaisyD
04-01-2006, 09:09 AM
Am I the only one that actually has a planned cheat day? I use my weigh in day to cheat all day long. Anything I want to eat, I eat. This has worked for me in the past when I went to WW before getting pregnant with my last DD. I lost 65 lb that time. I just seem to stick to the diet without any problems for 6 days if I know I am going to eat some of that stuff that I was tempted with all week. Even after eating all that good stuff all day I still wake up at the weight I was the morning prior. Am I the only first degree cheater? LOL!

sallysmom
04-03-2006, 12:12 PM
That's so funny...yet not. I, too, have a "cheat" day but I've found that my day turns into two days, then three. Before I know it, I've gained weight after having a really good loss. I'm trying to re-train myself to not think of it as "cheating" but planned bonus points. And then sticking to just those points allowed. Not easy but after 11 months I've managed to lose 55 pounds and I only have 5 more to go to reach goal. YEA!

Good luck to you.

lovinaz
04-03-2006, 12:23 PM
I follow the Body for Life way of eating, and you are allowed one cheat day per week. There are several reasons, one is that you are more inclined to stick to healthy eating if you know you can eat whatever you want on your free day. And another reason is that your body doesn't get used to the lower calories during the week, since you are consuming more calories on your free day. I say if it worked for you in the past, do whatever works! :thumbsup2

binkyboots
04-03-2006, 12:41 PM
on my weigh day I allow myself something a little extra (hey, I like the carrot more than the stick) but then I must draw a line otherwise it can throw my whole week off.

KathyFP
04-03-2006, 01:18 PM
I don't have a particular cheat day. What is working for me so far (I hope) is that if I am not able to distract myself from a craving (usually chips), I will buy a 25 cent bag and eat it. That way it is only a few extra calories and I drink extra green tea to flush the sodium from my body.

I know if I would cheat for a day, I would never get back on track.

Nana Annie
04-03-2006, 03:03 PM
The last time I did Atkins, I was very successful and had incorporated a "cheat" meal. But I don't start until after the induction period is over so I know that I have mitigated the carb cravings (I am a serious carboholic.) My cheat meal is on Saturdays as we usually are going out that night. This allows me to eat whatever I want off the menu and not worry about it. I am much more motivated to stick to the diet when I know I will be able to eat what I want on Saturday night. Funny thing though, is once on the diet for awhile, that loaded baked potato just isn't very appealing anymore.

However, if I gave myself a full cheat day, I probably would have a hard time getting back to the diet on Sunday.

VelvetGloves
04-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I try not to plan a cheat day. It actually keeps me on track when I can look back and see how long it has been since I've had one. I went about three weeks last time before having an off day. I had been sick for a week, and my husband decided to take me to the movies since we actually had a day off together. I broke down and had popcorn and a Coke. Now, I had cut out all pop, so it was a real cheat day for me.

I do like that it's okay to have a cheat day though. It's harder when I think of never having something again. I prefer knowing if I really wanted it, I could have it....even if I'm not sure when that will be.

VelvetGloves

DaisyD
04-04-2006, 09:42 PM
I know I just couldn't survive without my cheat day! It worked so well many years ago when I lost a ton of weight. I actually kept it off for 5 years until getting pregnant with DD. I won't even tell you what I ate on my last cheat day! LOL!

bubba73
04-04-2006, 10:12 PM
I have a planned cheat day as well but I am a little strict about how I go about doing it. I only cheat once every other 2 weeks. Sometimes 3. To a lot of my friends and family, I am hardcore when it comes to my dieting practices. Well, I always tell them that I am the one that has a goal for my body as well as the fact that I have to look at myself in the mirror everyday. If I don't like what I see, how can I expect or even hope that anyone else will? :confused3

DaisyD
04-04-2006, 10:35 PM
I have a planned cheat day as well but I am a little strict about how I go about doing it. I only cheat once every other 2 weeks. Sometimes 3. To a lot of my friends and family, I am hardcore when it comes to my dieting practices. Well, I always tell them that I am the one that has a goal for my body as well as the fact that I have to look at myself in the mirror everyday. If I don't like what I see, how can I expect or even hope that anyone else will? :confused3

You have to do what you need to do. I too am strict during the rest of the week. I'm supposed to have 22 points a day but rarely have more then 18. I just can't eat all that on a daily basis. I am also lucky in that my entire family is dieting with me. Some have less weight to lose then others but we all support each other. I never not liked what I see in the mirror whether I'm fat or thin. I also don't care what others think of me. Just not my style. My oldest DD is like you though. She was always worried of what others think. She is only 130 lbs yet still feels this way! She has lost her last 6 lbs though with this diet. I just want to lose weight to be able to move like I used to. Those extra pounds feel even heavier while trying to do gardening or even walking up steps!

lovetheparks
04-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Saturdays are my "official" cheat day. Normally that's when we'll go out to eat and though I still don't eat what/as much as I used to I allow myself to get a couple cocktails.

bubba73
04-05-2006, 09:52 PM
I never not liked what I see in the mirror whether I'm fat or thin. I also don't care what others think of me. Just not my style. My oldest DD is like you though. She was always worried of what others think. She is only 130 lbs yet still feels this way! She has lost her last 6 lbs though with this diet. I just want to lose weight to be able to move like I used to. Those extra pounds feel even heavier while trying to do gardening or even walking up steps!

You are much luckier than I. I had someone scar me as far as my appearance over 20 years ago and I have spent a lifetime trying to get passed that image. I have never been a fan of what I have seen in the mirror because I always knew that I could be healthier or bigger (more muscular) than I was. As one pro bodybuilder stated in an interview, the day that I am totally satisfied with what I see in the mirror is the day that I would quit. For me, I have to have something that motivates me to get my big behind in the gym to keep improving.

engagedatWDW
04-06-2006, 07:31 AM
I wish I could get away with a cheat day - a whole day would turn into a whole week. I allow myself one treat a week like dessert or alfredo sauce or garlic bread (how I miss thee!). I say stick with whatever works and enjoy your cheat days!

summersfam4
04-06-2006, 01:22 PM
I think that it shows that you have good self control to be able to jump right back on track the next day! I saddly am with many of the other posters as if I start going off track it is so hard to get back on. Now I will eat something a little extra on Friday and Saturday night because my DH and I will have movie night, or we will have a family movie night, but usually my something extra is still somewhat restrictive like Light butter microwave popcorn, or a bowl of fresh juicy stawberries (yumm) instead of cookies/ice cream/candy.
Kelly

Tiger Lily 03
04-06-2006, 07:44 PM
I can't say it is actually a planned cheat. It is just not easy for me to make those healthy choices all the time. If I make the unwise choice I will do my best to move on. However, lately I've been cheating way too much!

Thanks for asking. I find the answers helping my mind.

disneyfanz04
04-11-2006, 05:52 AM
I do not have a "cheat" day, but on Saturdays(which is WI) I do go over points, not by much, but maybe like 10. And I do not eat anything bad, I just may have some extra potatoes with dinner, or maybe 1 cup of light ice cream instead of 1/2 cup. I guess I am lucky, becuase there is nothing that I crave so bad that I am willing to gain any of the 20lbs that I lost already back. :)