PDA

View Full Version : Is POFQ sort of "motel like" due to the outside doors?

littleladykaty
03-31-2006, 07:00 PM
I saw pics of POFQ today and I just couldn't help but think how much it looked like a motel from the outside...I know it's keeping with the New Orleans theme and that is how the French Quarter looks...but I've been wrestling with keeping the reservations at POFQ or switching to CSR...any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my honeymoon and i'm just being nuts about it! princess: :wizard:

safetymom
03-31-2006, 07:24 PM
CSR has outside corridors also. All the moderates do.

Lisa C
03-31-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm having the exact same debate!! I am drawn to the romantic appearance of POFQ. But my husband said that resort just doesn't appeal to him at all, he likes the looks of CSR. After reading about a billion message boards it seems that people have definite specific preferences when it comes to Disney resorts! A lot of people have commented that POFQ is quaint and small and romantic - which makes it their favorite mod. But then more people I have found commented that CSR is really nice and although it's large people have said it's just a notch below the deluxe (nicer than the other moderates)- which makes it their favorite mod. They say the pool is topnotch and the majority of people say it's a big resort , but beautifully themed. These reviews are making me lean towards CSR. (THAT & my husband saying he likes CSR!!)

Good luck and have a fabulous honeymoon! I'm sure it will be magical! :love: :cheer2: :cloud9:

I'll be sure to check back on this thread to see what people say since I was having the same debate. I hope people with some real experience at both of these resorts reply (unlike me- sorry!).

I did stay at CBR last year, not my favorite (liked the pool, but did not like our room or location within resort).... so we're going to try something else.
Please keep us posted!!

safetymom
03-31-2006, 07:39 PM
I have stayed at POR, CBR, CSR. Our favorite is CBR and our least favorite was CSR. We didn't like at CSR that the food court was not next to the main pool. Also didn't care for the 10% mandatory tip in the Pepper Market.

The pool at CSR is the best moderate pool though. I found we did more walking at CSR than we do at CBR.

I like being able to walk outside getting to my room. There is plenty to look at and the landscaping is beautiful. It also isn't as noisy as interior corridors.

Lisa C
03-31-2006, 07:47 PM
Safety mom, how are the rooms compared to each other?

I really liked the bathroom set up in CBR. But my room was always really musty smelling and we had bugs in our bathroom. I didn't like the bus system in CBR always full buses. Was it the same at CSR? How about POR?

safetymom
03-31-2006, 07:52 PM
I can't compare the bus systems because I didn't ride them enough. We usually took the car.

I had clean rooms at all 3 resorts. We never had a problem with bugs. Musty smells are a fact of life in FL with the humidity. There are also a lot of bugs in FL, they don't reflect on the cleanliness of the room.

DisneyPhD
03-31-2006, 07:57 PM
All values, mods and some DVC resorts are like this. (OKW and SSR).

It is a different feel then a hotel with interier coridors. However I have stayed at every mod and OKW and SSR (along with most deluxes) and I have never once got a "motel 6 type of feeling" They are all resorts.

IMO you can't go wrong with any WDW resort. What really matters is how much $$ you want to spend and what type of themeing you want.

POFQ is nice, so is CRS. My personal favorite resort is PORS. However that is just my personal thing (and DH's, it is the 1st place we ever stayed on WDW prop, but it was Dixie Landings back then.)

Lisa C, most of the mod resort room layouts are the same. I think CBR may be a tad bigger since it was the 1st one built. I personally feel that CBR has the worst overall resort layout, because it was the 1st one and they learned a few things from it and made some changes with the ones since then. The busses on most mod resorts are full, just becasue they are so big. I think CSR is the least full busses because many people staying there are on a convention and don't go to the parks as much.

Lisa C
03-31-2006, 07:59 PM
oh you guys are great!! Thanks for replying so quick... now I feel like a jerk for posting a new thread. I hope the girl who started this thread finds her answers!!

fitzperry
03-31-2006, 08:15 PM
I can see how the POFQ buildings might look motel-ish when you're looking at pictures of them in isolation. But the landscaping is lush, the river is pretty, and the parking lots are well-placed, so when you see the whole resort, I really don't think it looks like a motel. Pictures of the Ranchos buildings at CSR look like a La Quinta Inn to me, but I suspect they're more attractive in context too.

4theloveofdisney
03-31-2006, 08:32 PM
I saw pics of POFQ today and I just couldn't help but think how much it looked like a motel from the outside...I know it's keeping with the New Orleans theme and that is how the French Quarter looks...but I've been wrestling with keeping the reservations at POFQ or switching to CSR...any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my honeymoon and i'm just being nuts about it! princess: :wizard:

All of the mod's and value's have outside room access. I personally do not ever stay in this style of hotel/motel anywhere but I make an exception for Disney. The grounds in the mod's are beautiful and in no way compare to a "motel", I swear!!!

Okay, you are going to hate my post and I'm sorry - lol! I am trying to imagine where I would want to be if I didn't have kids so, here goes: POFQ is our favorite resort in the mod range, hands down. We love the ambiance...but CSR is also nice - more spread out and is completely different with it's Mexican theme. Since this is a honeymoon trip though, I couldn't imagine anything more romantic than a room on the river at POFQ (think serene and beautiful)... but :blush: I would also love a room at CSR in the Cabanas (also romantic in it's own right) and if you plan on spending a lot of time around the pool, the Dig Site at CSR is awesome compared to POFQ. We also like the sit down style of food court at CSR as well as the onsight full service restaurant... but POFQ is wonderful because it's more compact and you can take a romantic stroll over to POR to eat at Boatwrights, the on sight restaurant shared between the two resorts. Lastly, POR/POFQ also have the boat to DD which is great if you intend on visiting Pleasure Island. It's such a tough call and I wish you luck with your decision!! Hope I helped a little bit but I'm afraid that I haven't. Good luck!! :goodvibes

P.S. Congrats!

littleladykaty
03-31-2006, 08:37 PM
Thanks all for the quick responses! The more I read about POFQ the more I like it...I know that since CSR is a convention hotel it's got some extras that POFQ may not have, but I know how much walking is going on each day at the parks and I am not going to be in any mood to trek all over my resort at days end!!

thanks so much to all for their Disney knowledge!!!

princess: :wizard:

tripplanner2
03-31-2006, 09:00 PM
YES YES YES...I stayed there back in 1998, I know that it has been rehabbed since but that is all I could think of MOTEL. This past summer we stayed at POR and did not get the motel feel the way we did from POFQ. We even took the boat over for dinner one night because of all of the great recommendations from this site and we still said, poor people stuck here. I know that a lot of people will disagree but I totally felt it like a motel. I did not feel that way at POR. All I will say is a lot of people LOVE it there from what I have read on these boards but I would not want to stay there again.

mickeymousemom
03-31-2006, 09:10 PM
I can see how the POFQ buildings might look motel-ish when you're looking at pictures of them in isolation. But the landscaping is lush, the river is pretty, and the parking lots are well-placed, so when you see the whole resort, I really don't think it looks like a motel. Pictures of the Ranchos buildings at CSR look like a La Quinta Inn to me, but I suspect they're more attractive in context too.

Was just going to post this same opinion. i was not impressed by pictures I saw of the AB section of POR, nor by pics of the FQ. You have to see these resorts in person to get it. They are all wonderful, charming resorts in person. POR is like home to us and we love the grounds there. Please don't judge, or let your DH judge just by pictures. You just gotta be there.

littleladykaty
03-31-2006, 09:54 PM
I'm pretty sure we will end up staying at POFQ, b/c we already have reservations there and I just know that if we changed it I'd forever wonder "What if"...but you see, my plan is to lure my DF into becoming as big a disney fan as I...and THEN I will convince him that we MUST become DVC members!!! I'm going to put out a jar and we'll put all our spare change in it and when we have enough... ;)

thanks again for all the help and opinions!!! princess: :wizard:

Buzz2001
03-31-2006, 09:56 PM
CSR is a large resort that does not share services with other resorts and offers some deluxe amenities because it is a convention resort.

CSR has a salon, spa, and a gym that other moderates do not offer. CSR has full menu room service and offers an internal shuttle system provided by golf carts to assist in getting to and from the main building to the villages.

It is also the only mod to offer suites.

CSR is situated around a 15 acre lake and CBR is situated around a 45 acre lake.

CSR has terrific transportation. It does not share with any other resort (like POR / POFQ) and it only has 4 bus stops within the resort (vs 8 at CBR). And since CSR is centrally located, you'll have a quick ride to all the parks.

And being a convention resort, the buses seem less crowded because guests are busy with their conventions.

http://tinypic.com/eim9ut.jpg
Photo by Ducky4Disney

http://tinypic.com/ehybeg.jpg

http://tinypic.com/ea5ytc.jpg

http://tinypic.com/ea5z7l.jpg

http://tinypic.com/fod6wm.jpg

http://tinypic.com/fod75f.jpg

http://tinypic.com/fod8n4.jpg

CSR has the best pool of the mods and probably the second best on WDW property. Best mod pool (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=830638). It offers a great slide (123 ft long), an arcade, a sand volleyball court, and a playground at the main pool area.

http://tinypic.com/eaqyk9.jpg

http://i1.tinypic.com/o54511.jpg

http://www.hostmypic.info/uploads/c73cd4e144.jpg

Review from mousesavers.com!! (http://www.mousesavers.com/wdwresortfacts.html#moderate)

Coronado Springs is my Best Value choice in the Moderate category. It has several advantages compared with the other Moderate resorts. It is newer, so there has been less wear-and-tear on everything. Also, Coronado Springs is a convention hotel, so it has a few extra amenities not offered at the other Moderates, including a salon, a health club and a more upscale food court.

The theming is radically different in the three areas of Coronado Springs. You can request a specific area when booking but there is no guarantee you'll get your request.

The Spanish-style Casitas at Coronado Springs are very peaceful, with courtyards featuring tiled fountains. Casitas Buildings 1, 3 and 2 (in that order) are the closest to the restaurants and services. Casitas Building 4 contains the salon and health club, if those are important to you.
The Cabanas at Coronado Springs have a beachy Caribbean feeling. Cabanas Building 8A is very close to the feature pool, which may be a blessing (convenience) or a curse (noise, light). Cabanas Building 9B is closest to the marina and relatively convenient to the restaurants and services.
The Ranchos at Coronado Springs feel quiet and secluded -- some would say isolated -- and feature desert landscaping and pueblo-style architecture. They look closest to the main pool on a map, but in actuality they are separated from the rest of the property by a swamp, so it can be a fairly long walk from these buildings to the pool, and a very long walk to the restaurants.

cornflkgrl
03-31-2006, 10:09 PM
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
My husband and I just stayed at POFQ last week for 6 nights and LOVED LOVED LOVED it! I have stayed in a lot of hotels in my life anything from Motel 6 to 5 star european hotels in my travels.
I was worried about the cost of POFQ versus what it would be like. It was much nicer than I expected.
Mind you, there is no spa or room service but for Disney property and the price I thought it was great and we liked the boat to downtown disney and thought the grounds were beautiful.
It was very quiet, very clean and did not feel like a motel at all to us.
We felt very happy with our room and felt very secure even with the outside door.
Also, I think all moderates have outside doors. I think the only way youy can avoid that is by going deluxe.

Brier Rose
03-31-2006, 10:18 PM
We've stayed at all the mods too, and while I like them all, I LOVE POFQ!

We actually get to go to WDW about 4 times a year, and most of the time we stay in deluxes, but I sometimes find myself missing POFQ, so we'll stay there at least once a year.

It may look like a motel in the pictures, but it does NOT feel like one. At least not one I've ever stayed in!!

It is so pleasant to walk around with all of the little courtyards and fountains with little places to sit. I love to walk to the pool on the path along the river, and the kids love the "dragon" slide! (that's what they call it anyway :teeth: )

The rooms are fantastic since the renovations too!

I'd say at least give it a try, you might be surprised..I was!

youngdizluva18
03-31-2006, 10:54 PM
I have stayed at POFQ many times and I love it. I love the atmosphere and the rooms are very nice. All of the rooms are pretty near to the pool/foodcourt. Disney did a great job captivating the atmosphere of New Orleans and bringing right to Orlando.

momof2inPA
04-01-2006, 05:14 AM
POFQ and CSR are both nice, but I would be sure to request a non-parking lot view at both hotels. IMO, the parking lot view + outside corriders = a little motel feel. That said, I did enjoy my stays at both, and I thought the standard rooms were a tad nicer at POFQ. The food was tons better at CSR.

mx55mom
04-01-2006, 07:22 AM
We went to POFQ and loved it, especially the boat to DTD. It was so long ago I can't comment on the layout. We did take advantage of the self serve laundry (at that time we had a 5 year old). We also love CBR but like being in Aruba or Jamaica as it is just a walk across the bridge and walkway to the food court and main pool. Each country has its own pool too. My sister who has stayed at CSR said it was beautiful but the only thing she didn't like (because it is a convention center) were all the people there on business trips walking/sitting around in business suits doing business on their cell phones (they talk loud and never hang up). We did go to CSR one morning from CBR just to have the breakfast buffet. I think you can and will find romance in any resort you decide on. They each have their own personality and you won't be disappointed.

cornflkgrl
04-01-2006, 01:35 PM
I have stayed at POFQ many times and I love it. I love the atmosphere and the rooms are very nice. All of the rooms are pretty near to the pool/foodcourt. Disney did a great job captivating the atmosphere of New Orleans and bringing right to Orlando.

Actually I thought it was a LOT nicer than the actual French Quarter. It was like the French Quarter without all the public urination, vomiting, public drunkedness, loud noise, and garbage :)

missy522
04-01-2006, 02:02 PM
I stayed at POFQ years ago and thought it was great. We are staying this year at POR and hope we are just as happy. I considered CSR for this trip, but after looking at all available pictures online, I decided that while I think CSR looks really pretty from the outside, the pictures of the room interiors turned me off. Too much gaudy, colorful furniture and appointments. I think for a honeymoon, POFQ rooms would be much more romantic and ....what's the word?....elegant! Have a great trip!

granmaz
04-01-2006, 02:14 PM
External corridors are something my husband and I particularly dislike. I booked POFQ without telling him it has exterior corridors after somebody said how nice it was. Well, we both just loved it! My husband thought it beautiful and wants to stay again. I know he would not think that of the average motel!

Lilolvr
04-01-2006, 04:57 PM
I saw pics of POFQ today and I just couldn't help but think how much it looked like a motel from the outside...I know it's keeping with the New Orleans theme and that is how the French Quarter looks...but I've been wrestling with keeping the reservations at POFQ or switching to CSR...any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my honeymoon and i'm just being nuts about it! princess: :wizard:I agree. We love CSR much better.