PDA

View Full Version : AKL or WL with no car?

wasabi girl
03-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Hi guys,

I'm hoping to make it to WDW this Sept/Oct. I'd probably fly down, not rent a car. Which would you guys do; AKL? or WL? I saw both resorts when I was there in Dec (Poly), and thought they were both gorgeous. Both have great restaurants (Artist Point & Jiko...important!)...both have really nice theming. Which would you guys choose? On this trip will be myself (ageless), DD 21, DD 18 and DDs best friend 22 (she's practically my third daughter!). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

LuvTigger
03-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Tough choice! I really like both resorts, but I have to say I'm still partial to WL. I guess I like being on the lake, and slightly prefer the theming of WL to AKL. I think transportation at both are comparable, although WL is closer to most of the parks than AKL. Plus there's a boat that can take you to MK. The rooms are pretty similar in terms of size and features.

One thing I did prefer at AKL over WL was Mara, the food court.

You really can't go wrong with either though!

CheshireVal
03-31-2006, 12:50 PM
I love both resorts almost equally. It's always hard for me to choose between those two! I always drive down, but I never actually use my car while on Disney property (love that free transportation!), and it's never been a problem.

The WL is a bit more "in the middle of everything," which is great. But there's just something about the ambiance of AKL, too.....

Decisions, decisions! :teeth:

DVC Sadie
03-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Since you are not traveling with little ones why not try a split stay. I am way too biased. :rotfl2: I love the AKL for so many reasons so I would definately choose AKL over the WL hands down. Hope this helps. ;)

grimley1968
03-31-2006, 01:18 PM
I would never try AKL without a car. It's too remote and buses are your only mode of Disney transportation to everything. At least with WL, you have boats to take you to MK, and bus rides to other parks are usually pretty quick.

MNT568
03-31-2006, 01:27 PM
I have always found the buses to/from AKL to be great. We never had to wait long for buses at all. It is a little farther out and the ride to MK is a little longer. But AKL is usually the first bus space you come to at most of the parks when leaving. We love AKL. The pool is great, my DS loves the arcade, Boma is wonderful! I think AKL has a real homey feel to it, everyone is so friendly (staff and guests). Sometimes the lobby is like a giant living room. But we have never stayed at WL.

TiggerTails57
03-31-2006, 01:56 PM
We did WL without a car.............it was fine :)
We really enjoyed the boat to MK and FW, I don't think we would have liked to ride a bus ALL week.

Bugsmom73
03-31-2006, 03:11 PM
AKL is my vote.

mickeyluv'r
03-31-2006, 03:37 PM
It's always seemed to me that the boat from WL was slow, but I've never actaully done it. The ride itself from AKL is long, but the bus waits seemed pretty short. I've never minded taking buses all week - I'll take whatever mode of transportaion gets me there the fastest! My experience staying at both is limited though.

They are both nice as far as theming goes, and they both have excellent restaurants....

wasabi girl
03-31-2006, 03:42 PM
Thanks so far...they both still sound great. So, if the good fairy blessed me with some extra pennies between now and then, if we were able to upgrade to concierge...is one better than the other? I'm really wanting to go on that sunset safari Jiko thing....I may not be able to afford it but if I could is AKL concierge worth the extra $$$?

PS All of us females on this trip LOVE pampering ourselves...we also love saving money so, we are really undecided about an upgrade....

Wazzo
03-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Regarding the AKL without a car... we were a little worried too, but on our very recent trip we were very pleasantly surprised by the buses! AKL has an AMAZING bus system. We spent some time at other resorts, and their bus systems were SO slow and visit many other resorts. Don't count out the AKL based on transport!

Have fun!

Nik's Mom
03-31-2006, 06:18 PM
You have chosen my 2 favorite resorts! We have stayed at WL and AKL with a rental car and loved both resorts. AKL transportation was outstanding. In fact, we ended up using our car only once. The bus service was fast, direct service to the parks. And Mara was great!

As for WL, it is equally as beautiful, and the boat to MK is great. I really believe you can't go wrong with either resort. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

pinkminnie
03-31-2006, 10:30 PM
We have stayed at WL and loved it, but we have visited AKL and really want to try it soon. Since you are all adults, I think you would enjoy the AKL a little more than WL. It is a really neat place and I have heard that the bus transportation runs well. It just seems a little more exotic there and I think the girls would like that. :banana:

Tam1067
04-01-2006, 10:38 AM
We had no car and 3 little kids when we stayed at WL a few years ago. Despite others' warnings about Disney transport, we had no troubles. A boat can take you from WL to the Contemporary which is nice if you want to catch the Monorail somewhere, and getting to MK by boat is magical.

wasabi girl
04-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Thanks everyone!

We had some transportation concerns but figure we'll survive...I mean, it is Disney, right? We've decided on the AKL this time (Jiko and Boma factor in here).