PDA

View Full Version : Travel books about Med. Ports

misseulalie
03-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Ok, now that we know what the ports are, any good travel books out there regarding the ports? I have a little more than a year to plan... I need to start now!!!! :rolleyes:

NancyIL
03-30-2006, 09:17 PM
I have the Eyewitness Cruise Guide to Europe & the Mediterranean - which gives a small amount of info and photos about the major ports in Europe. There's also Mediterranean By Cruise Ship by Anne Vipond: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0968838936/sr=8-3/qid=1143771843/ref=sr_1_3/103-0310488-5644666?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I don't have that book, but I have the same author's book about Alaska - which is very good.

CACruisin'
03-31-2006, 08:11 AM
Any book suggestions for the transatlantic journey? So far I have not found information for the individual ports specific to a cruise stop. I'd really like to find our what the weather is likely to be for our wonderful sea days also. Suggestions?

kaseyC
03-31-2006, 01:33 PM
I highly recommend the AAA Spiral Guides. They have guides for most of the major European Cities and/ or regions. I have the guides for Barcelona, Rome, Florence and Italy. They are a great size and will fit in my travel purse. Great pictures, a ton of information. Very user friendly. I will be taking the Barcelona guide(doing 2 days pre cruise and 1 post cruise) and the Italy guide with me on the cruise. I purchased mine from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=br_ss_hs/002-4880683-9749638?search-alias=aps&keywords=AAA%20Spiral%20Guides

I have been planning our May Med cruise for over a year and I have had a blast. Below are a short list of some websites that I found invaluable in my planning through out the year.

Cruise Critics Europe Board - excellent resource for port info, recommendations for reliable private tour operators, hotels anf flight info.

Tripadvisor.com - great place for reviews for Hotels- this is how we found are pre and post cruise Hotel in Barcelona. It can be difficult to find hotel rooms in Barcelona that sleep more than two people. Also since most of you will be sailing in the summer, check to be sure your hotel has air conditioning - it's not standard!

Kayak.com - an awesome airfare search engine

Travelsmith.com - a travel store that has a great line of security items - neck and waist pouches to hide valuables under clothes, slash proof purses and day packs.

Enjoy your planning. :teeth:

misseulalie
03-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the info. Though I am going to wait until Tuesday to "officially" start planning. I don't want to get too excited before I actually have a room booked!