PDA

View Full Version : Some sad news about DIS'er, Suzy Mouse's, family

Dan Murphy
03-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Suzy (her real name too), has been around the DIS for many years, one of the 'old timers', though not real active, more a 'lurker' than a poster. On an off over the years, every so often, we trade an email or PM back and forth, a 'hi, how you doing' type.

A couple days ago, Suzy sent me a PM, telling me she wanted to pass on some news. And it was quite sad news to say the least. Many of us may recall a few days back when the news came over the wires of the tourist bus crash in Chile (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/americas/03/22/bus.crash/index.html) which killed 12 tourists and injured 4 others. Well, one of those killed was Suzy's mom, Carole, and one of those injured, her dad, Harold. :( How very sad, for Suzy and her family, and all the other affected families of this terrible crash.

Suzy also asked if I could put a few words together like this, to share her grief, here on the Community board, as well as the W.I.S.H. and Cruise boards, as those are the boards she frequents most here on the DIS.

Here is a current article (http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-5/1143217522115180.xml&coll=1), a few days old, from one of their local papers.......

(if link does not work for you)

Friday, March 24, 2006
BY CHANDRA M. HAYSLETT
Star-Ledger Staff

Harold Ruchelman was the love Carole Ruchelman's life.

But she always had a thing for Mickey Mouse.

Several times each year, the retired couple would travel from their home in Monroe to Disney World to see Carole Ruchelman's favorite mouse up close. At home, she packed a room full of memorabilia to tide her over until her next visit.

"She had a room that was filled with nothing but Mickey Mouse stuff," said neighbor Pat Glockner.

On Wednesday, Carole Ruchelman, 64, was among the 12 passengers killed in a tour bus accident in Chile. Harold Ruchelman, 68, was one of the crash's four survivors.

At the Monroe retirement community where the couple lived for the past 6 years, neighbors remembered the Ruchelman's as a friendly couple that always left their garage door open to chat with neighbors.

"We would always know they were gone because that's when the garage door was closed," Glockner said.

Harold, a former electrical engineer for Consolidated Edison, is an avid gardener who makes toys for children every holiday season. Carole, preferred to spend her time in the community pool, where swam laps every morning and took a water aerobics class.

"They were just delightful people, wonderful to have as neighbors," said Bob Susko. "They were always pleasant to be around."

Originally from the Parlin section of Sayreville, the couple moved to the Ponds at Clearbrook in 1999.

Grace Mitgang, who works in the office of the Jewish Congregation of Concordia at Monroe, where the Ruchelman's were members, said "it was a pleasure" to know Carole Ruchelman.

"She was a very nice person, always giving. Just a wonderful person to know," she said.

Suzy also asked if I could pick a few pictures from her dad's travel website which she had sent me a link to some time back, so as to share her mom and dad and family with us all. Carole and Harold loved to travel, all over the world, as well as to the World. I think these few pictures here, from a Disney cruise, one of their trips to WDW, a trip to China, as well as many not here, trips to Australia, Italy, South America, the Grand Canyon and the West, Canada, and elsewhere, shows a vibrancy, a love of life, of each other. We can all hope we are as such in our retirement years. God speed, Carole, God bless your dad, Suzy, you and all your family.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/dmurphydis/Suzy/Suzy1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/dmurphydis/Suzy/Suzy2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/dmurphydis/Suzy/Suzy3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/dmurphydis/Suzy/Suzy4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/dmurphydis/Suzy/Suzy5a.jpg

Here are Carole and Harold, along with Suzy and her hubby, upper left, her sister and hubby, upper right, and the grandkids, at a family gathering late last year. Suzy's children are on the far left, striped shirt, and far right, denim outfit

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/dmurphydis/Suzy/SuzyFamily2005.jpg

Suzy, again, my condolences on a very sad occurrence that ended such a fun trip for your folks and others. You mom and dad were blessed with each other, with a wonderful family and a wonderful life. My best and prayers for all of you. :hug:

Dan

grimley1968
03-30-2006, 03:38 PM
I'm so sorry to read this. Suzy, please accept my condolences and thoughts for your family.

kathybeany
03-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Oh Suzy! I am so terribly sorry. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Hannosmom
03-30-2006, 03:44 PM
What a beautiful couple and family. I am so sorry for your loss. I will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.

3mickeys&me
03-30-2006, 03:44 PM
My Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!!! We are soooo sorry for your loss! :hug:

staceymerrill
03-30-2006, 03:45 PM
My condolences and prayers to you and your whole family.. Suzy...I am so sorry about your loss... :grouphug:

Enna
03-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Suzy and her family will be in my thoughts & prayers.

hccb
03-30-2006, 03:51 PM
It was tragic when I first read the news of the accident. Now that we know it's touched one of ours so very deeply it just really sends it to the deepest part of my heart. The saddness...

There just aren't words to convey the emotion, Suzy, but please accept my prayers for healing

Verandah Man
03-30-2006, 03:58 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to you as well, we had several of the others who died from our area, it was such a tragic thing to happen. :grouphug:

shoes99
03-30-2006, 04:10 PM
The family will be in our thoughts. We live very close to Monroe, and I grew up in Sayreville.

Yankee914
03-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Please accept our heartfelt condolences. My husband worked at Con Edison with Suzy's father. He recognized his name in the newspaper when we read about this tragedy, but we didn't know where to send our sympathies to him and his family for the tragic loss of Carole. It shows what a small world this is that Harold's daughter also posts on these boards. Again, please accept our deepest sympathies. Your family will be in our prayers.

OurDogCisco
03-30-2006, 04:34 PM
I offer my deepest condolences to Suzy and her family...

poconoboatniks
03-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Suzy,

Please know that your parents and family are in our thoughts and prayers. :grouphug:

Poconoboatniks

carole88
03-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Our prayers are with Suzy, her dad and the rest of her family.

WDWLVR
03-30-2006, 04:43 PM
Suzy - so very sorry to hear that your parents were involved in this tragic accident. My prayers go out to you and your family.

alwayslisad
03-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Oh that made me cry - my heart goes out to them all -

((((HUGS))))

sajetto
03-30-2006, 04:46 PM
Suzy, I am sorry for you loss. My prayers and thoughts are with you in this difficult time. God bless

Disneycrazymom
03-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Suzy, I am sorry for your loss. I hope that your father recovers completely.

LIFERBABE
03-30-2006, 05:00 PM
I too was deeply saddened to hear of the bus crash. For those of us that love to travel, it really hit home. Please accept our families deepest sympathies.

speakupjc
03-30-2006, 05:04 PM
My thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

Queen2
03-30-2006, 05:05 PM
New to the board. Sorry to hear the lose of your Mother. Hope your dad Has faithful healing
:grouphug:

MommaluvsDis
03-30-2006, 05:15 PM
What sad news! Suzy, may the Lord be with you all during this heartbreaking time. The photo of you all together is just wonderful. You can see the love one each person's face.

Kimmielee
03-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Suzy, my heart is filled with sadness due to your loss. My prayers are with you and your family. A speedy recovery blessing for your Dad as well!

snelsonbrown
03-30-2006, 05:26 PM
My dear Suzy,
Deepest sympathy in the tragic loss you and your family have suffered - You are in our thoughts and prayers and if there is anything we can do, we are just a phone call away.
God's blessings be with you and yours.
Always
Shirley and Norm

lunsusie
03-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Suzy, deepest condolences to you and your family. Prayers for a complete recovery for your Dad.

DutchsMommy
03-30-2006, 06:14 PM
Thinking of you in this most difficult time. :grouphug:

mickey minder
03-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and all the others effected by this terrible tragedy. :grouphug:

Tarabra
03-30-2006, 06:33 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. OP, please keep us updated on her father's recovery.

figment52
03-30-2006, 06:35 PM
sending thoughts and prayers for you and your family in your time of sorrow.

DVC Jen
03-30-2006, 06:52 PM
I am so sorry for you loss. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Am_I_There_Yet
03-30-2006, 06:53 PM
How very sad. I'm so sorry to read this. :sad2:

mommyceratops
03-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Oh I am so sorry to hear this. They look like a happy couple, so full of life. So sad. I am keeping Suzy and her family in my prayers.

Blessings,
Kim

Dreamer04
03-30-2006, 07:46 PM
Suzy, you and yours are in my prayers. My deepest sympathies are with you.

Thank you for letting Dan share your parents with us.

Dan, thank you for that moving tribute.

Ursula

Colorado DISers
03-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Suzy,
God bless you and your family. Our prayers are with you all.

cruzings
03-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Suzy and family. I am very sorry to hear about your tragic loss. Our thoughts and prayers go with you. You have such a beautiful family!

Corryn
03-30-2006, 08:36 PM
I am also very sorry to hear about your Mom....She looked like a very loving person. God Bless you and your family :angel:

BethA
03-30-2006, 08:49 PM
How heartbreaking! My prayers are with the family.

lbgraves
03-30-2006, 08:53 PM
I am very sorry for your family's tragic loss. I hope that your father recovers physically quickly. I will say a prayer for every member of your family's healing.

PRINCESS VIJA
03-30-2006, 09:07 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. Please accept my condolences and wish your father a speedy health recovery and comfort and strength to help you all through this very trying, and sorrowful time. Sending some extra pixie dust your way in honor of your mom...

cstraub
03-30-2006, 09:28 PM
So sorry to hear about this. Hugs to you and your family. :grouphug:

pyramid2000
03-30-2006, 09:32 PM
My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. :grouphug:

jlawall
03-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Wow, Suzy, thx for sharing this with us!! Your parents truly enjoyed their life and are an inspiration for us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are PRAYING FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!

LuvsTheSun
03-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Suzy, such very sad news. My heart goes out to you and your family. Your parents seem like such special people. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. :grouphug:

mrsltg
03-31-2006, 06:48 AM
Wow. That really puts a face on the tragedy. I am so sorry for the loss of Suzy's Mom and the pain of her Dad. God bless the whole family and all of those affected by this horrible accident.

ds2Mom
03-31-2006, 07:25 AM

Suzy - So very sorry to learn of this.....we're also saying prayers for you and your entire family. Hope your father recovers quickly, too.

HappyLawyer
03-31-2006, 07:29 AM
Lots of love, care and prayers from my family in illinois.

TiggerKing
03-31-2006, 07:36 AM
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Suzy and her family. I will be espcially praying for her father who has lost his best friend. May God comfort you all during this time and in the days to come.

curlybop
03-31-2006, 08:22 AM
My sympathies to you & your family Suzy. :grouphug:

Scratch42
03-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Thoughts and Prayers for you and your family, Suzy!

j

nzdisneymom
03-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Suzy -
My heart and prayers go out to you and your family, especially to your dad. What a beautiful tribute in the newspaper article - I loved the part about how she always had a thing for Mickey Mouse.

{{{hugs}}} and pixiedust: during your time of grief.

champagne27
03-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Prayers to you and all of your family. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Luckymommyx2
03-31-2006, 10:12 AM
My heartfelt condolences go out to Suzy and her family. I'm sorry to hear such tragic news from one of our Dis family members. Take care. :grouphug:

gemjoy
03-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Suzy ~

There are no words... My family sends our prayers and love your way... God bless your family during this very difficult time.

Sincerely,
gemjoy

jillane88
03-31-2006, 10:32 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss. Our family sends it's prayers to you and your family during this difficult time. :grouphug:

DisneyPoly
03-31-2006, 10:34 AM
So sorry to hear of your terrible loss. You have a beautiful family and for that your parents can be proud. Our prayers are with you, your Dad and your family in the coming weeks.

SeaSpray
03-31-2006, 11:03 AM
It truly is a small world...

I grew up in the Parlin section of Sayreville. Sayreville is a small town to begin with, the Parlin section is obviously even smaller. My father and one of my brothers still live there. And, my sister and BIL used to live in Monroe.

It's so sad to hear of something like the accident in Chile, but it really makes it that much more personal when you realize that some of the victims were neighbors and DIS members family.

My deepest condolences to you and your family, Suzy. :(

@GoofyNut
03-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Sue ... I am truly sorry for your loss. The picture of your parents enjoying each other on Deck 4 was so beautiful ... keep those wonderful memories.