PDA

View Full Version : Help please with opinions on Contemp vs BC

theirish68
03-30-2006, 01:44 PM
My family is trying to decide where to stay for the 2nd leg of our vacation.

Since we are 5 I've narrowed it down to Contemp vs. BC but can't decide which.

I thought maybe the experts on both could help out someone that has never stayed at either.

The two older kids are 10/7 and the youngest is 3. So I figured the older would love the SAB at the BC where the monorail would be really nice for bringing the 3 year old home for rests if we time our parks such that the MK would be when we where at the Contemp....

My kids have seen the SAB so anything now would almost be a let down(of course only until they got their). I know the slide is fairly plain at the Contemp but do your kids or you really enjoy it.

Any advice on why you love one would be a great great help.

TJA
03-30-2006, 02:20 PM
We stayed at Contemporary (CR) last May and then stayed at BC last September. We have twins and are a family of 4.

It's hard to say which resort we liked better, but I can say we loved them both. What I can do is make a few comparisons for you:

CR has huge rooms, possibly the largest standard rooms on Disney property. You would notice a big difference in room size when comparing CR and BC. Since you are a family of 5, you may want to weigh that factor in your decision.

Though CR is great because of the monorail, keep in mind that you can walk to Epcot from BC and either walk or boat to MGM too. So the transportation advantages lie with both resorts, really. Except if your family plans to frequent MK the most often. In that case, you may want to sway your decision towards CR. You can walk back and forth between CR and MK. It takes about 10 minutes one-way. So you can watch Wishes and then avoid all crowds and walk back to CR. It's a wonderful advantage.

Food options are probably more plentiful at BC because you have the restaurants at BC and YC, plus the Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin, plus the countries in Epcot all within walking distance. However, the options at CR are not too bad because you can easily monorail to Poly and GF, not to mention MK and Epcot.

Pools. Well, it's hard to surpass BC/YC pool. My kids were too young to fully enjoy the CR pool, so hopefully someone else can comment on that aspect.

Hope this helped a little.
:sunny:

Ub_Iwerks
03-30-2006, 02:36 PM
The pool at CR is very plain. It's perhaps the worst on Disney property, even worse than the values and mods. That being said, I love everything else about the Contemporary and would stay there again. It's usually considerably less to stay in the wing rooms. The South Wing has recently been renovated and is beautiful. I actually like the restaurant choices (Chef Mickey's and Concourse) at CR much better than BC, especially since CR is a 10 minute walk to MK. I would base my decision on where you are going to spend more time--if it's MK, go CR. If it's MGM/Epcot, go BC.

theirish68
03-30-2006, 02:59 PM
That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for, from people who have stayed at either (or even better both).

It's a win/win decision I realize. The kids will love whatever we pick. The kids are excited when I take them to the YMCA to go swimming so I'm sure they'd be happy with either that we decide.

We plan to go to MGM and MK with probably repeat vist to MK so I'm a little torn.

My family loves to relax (probably should have mentioned that). The kids would be just as happy to spend the day at the pool as go to a park. I know that sounds crazy but that's the way they are. So I was pretty much locked into BC. But the monorail and the fact that CR is $70-75 cheaper a night it would save us $200 to give up SAB and have them struggle along at the CR pool. :rolleyes1

But as I was saying. My family loves to relax. So maybe the "feel" of the resort also matters since we spend more than the average family's time just hanging by the pool or walking around. For example we may have a 5 or 6 night stay but only go to the parks 3 days.

Anyway, maybe I'll put two names in a hat and pick one out. Both have very nice advantage, and minimal disadvantages.

Thanks again. I'm jealous of eveyone that gets to go to Disney so often and accumulate so much knowledge. Our kids are just comming to ages that we can get on a 3 year cycle.... I wish I could be a Annual Pass person.. :crazy:

Bugsmom73
03-30-2006, 03:26 PM
I would vote for CR. Your younger one will appreciate the closeness and love the ability to return quickly for naps.

grimley1968
03-30-2006, 03:30 PM
I just can't stand the looks of CR, but that walk to MK is one compelling feature, I have to say. With young kids, that might sway me over BC, even though it offers walking to EPCOT, and boating to MGM.

You could save BC for when your youngest is a little older and would be more interested in EPCOT.

theirish68
03-30-2006, 04:05 PM
I actually stayed there when I was a young lad and I felt like I was in grand central station... Although very beautiful and interesting, it was kind of over whelming and vast.

The rooms obviously are supposed to have the contemp look but they look kind of retro to me. Like 70's. I can't tell in pictures if they seem old or just look that way on purpose (if you know what I mean).

The trip to MK is a huge pull I have to admit. But since we have never been that close we might not know what we are missing on that front.
I know the older kids will love the pool complex at BC (that's a given and
not even a question, they would be out of their minds). Of course they'd be ruined for anywhere else we stay next year. Just kidding, they are great kids and love staying in any rinkie dink hotel we stay at when we travel.....

My youngest loves trains (Thomas of course) and would be happy to ride the monorail all day long, but I'm not sure that should out weigh the 2 older kids at SAB...

Wow, I flip back and forth more than a politician on this one.

Probably go with the first choice (and just put me out of my misery) of BC and be estatic. I wish I could go more often so that it wouldn't be such a big deal... We go every 3-4 years now (hopefully)

Thanks all for all the great info that made my decision even harder.
:thumbsup2 :lmao:

TJA
03-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Well, after reading your 2nd post, I'd like to vote for BC. You mentioned your family enjoying resort time and relaxing -- that's why I vote for BC. Not only is there the pool area, but you can walk around the "loop" on the Boardwalk everyday if you want. That is very relaxing. Our favorite thing to do while staying in the BC area is to have a "resort day," which means we lounge around at our resort all day and then walk in to the Epcot countries at night for a nice dinner, go on some rides, and then watch Illuminations.

Let me also say that your youngest one should like SAB as much as your older ones. It has the sandy area where there is just sand and also some shallow water. My twins were 2 years old when we stayed at BC and they built sand castles and had fun splashing in the shallow water.

Minniedap
03-30-2006, 08:57 PM
We had a split stay last July and stayed at BC and CR. My granddaughters, ages four & five, absolutely loved the CR. They now say it is their favorite. They loved the pools, the water pageant at night, Peter Pan and Captain Hook came to the resort at night, and most of all location, location, location!

bjakmom
03-30-2006, 09:30 PM
Minniedap - when/where did Peter and Captain Hook come to the Contemp? I'll be there in nov with dGrD and she LOVES Peter!

hedwig
03-30-2006, 09:31 PM
We've stayed at both, with children ages 7 and 5. They liked the CR hands down. Even though the pool is not themed, they really didn't mind. They did the slide over and over and over again. Another big draw is the game room at the CR, probably one of the best on property. And did I mention the view if you stay Tower/MK view? Even the Bay Lake view is nice. The view of the Boardwalk at BC is nice, but after having the Castle and Space Mountain next to you it was kind of boring.

Transportation- CR - walk 10 min/monorail to MK, Monorail to TTC for Epcot. Bus to MGM. The MK walk is great after Wishes.

Now BC you can walk to Epcot- not a bad walk, except you come out in the World Showcase between England and France, so it is about a 15-20 minute walk to SSE. Give yourself at least that to walk through Epcot to catch the Monorail to TTC to the MK. At the BC you can catch a boat to MGM/ probably a 15 minute ride. You can walk it- but it looked way to far with a 5 year old.

Restaurants - we liked the variety around CR better. Easier to get to everything, more choices.

I don't think you will regret choosing either. But if you think you are going to be at the MK most, I would lean towards CR.

Good Luck

Minniedap
03-30-2006, 09:52 PM
bjakmom, Peter Pan and Hook came later in the evening. They came off of a party cruise on the pier behind the CR. While they did not stop to greet anyone, our girls still enjoyed seeing them.

Going Broke
03-31-2006, 10:56 PM
My family also preferred the CR. There's just something about being that close to the MK. We have also stayed at BC. The only thing we did not care for was how far we had to walk to get to the waterslide. At CR, me and my husband just stayed in the pool and we could watch our kids go up and down the slide by themselves. At BC we had to go with our kids. They completely leave your vision, (if you would be in the pool waiting for them), and actually have to go across the walkway (the one that goes around the lake). Okay, I'm sorry, that's confusing. Perhaps you can find a map of the resort and see what I am talking about.

maxiesmom
04-01-2006, 11:16 AM
Given the ages of your children I would do the Contemporary this trip, and the Yacht & Beach club next time. The rooms at the Contemporary are huge by Disney standards. And I can not over sell the convenience of being able to walk to/from the Magic Kingdom. It is wonderful! :woohoo: In fact, I am a little sad that we are staying at the BCV's next trip. With a group of 6 it was way cheaper to rent points than to stay at the Contemporary. What a horrible thing, huh? :rotfl2:

DVC Sadie
04-01-2006, 11:34 AM
How crazy are we? We (dh and I) have no children but love CR, especially the MK tower rooms. With children your ages it is so nice to return early in the evening, swim and get into pajamas and watch the fireworks from the comfort of your patio. It is fabulous and the look on your childrens faces will be incredible. It seems as if you could just reach out and touch the fireworks and is a truly unforgettable experience.

theirish68
04-01-2006, 01:16 PM
No I totally understand what you mean about BC. Although I've never stayed there we did walk around there. That is my biggest concern (being over protective) is to just let a 10 year old and a 7 year old roam out of site while I stay with the 3 year old.... Like I said, I'm over protective. Maybe the next trip in 2 years would be a better time for us to stay at BC, when the kids are just a little bit older.

theirish68
04-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Although I think my wife and I may like the the BC a little better, for our kids (at this age) on this trip we are going to stay at the CR... We'll save
a couple hundred $'s.... Combined with the access to the monorail and keeping a close eye on them at the pool, I think it's a perfect fit for us this trip.

Next trip I think BC will be in order.

This is the best site on any type of topic there is. So many experts.
And I say that without sarcasm, which is almost impossible for someone
like me !

:lmao:

Ub_Iwerks
04-01-2006, 02:22 PM
The rooms obviously are supposed to have the contemp look but they look kind of retro to me. Like 70's. I can't tell in pictures if they seem old or just look that way on purpose (if you know what I mean).

Have you seen the NEW rooms at CR? They are awesome, and I don't think the old ones are as bad as they look in pictures.

theirish68
04-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Which ones should I be asking for?

Crazy4Disney72
04-01-2006, 04:18 PM
I think you made a good choice choosing the CR. I just got back from WDW staying at the CR in a garden view North Wing room and it was fantastic. My DD, 6, and my niece, 12, loved the pools at the CR, especially the slide. I loved that it was easy to keep an eye on them no matter where they were in the main pool, though the pool did not feel small. I've never stayed at the BC, but I've stayed at the YC, so we've done SAB, and with young kids (mine were 4, 7, and 11) it was tough, I had to be right there with them and it was hard because the place was so big, I couldn't see all of them at once and the 11yr old didn't want to do the same things the 4yr old was doing. It was nice, and I know I'm in the minority on this one, but overall I much prefer the CR. The view of Bay Lake, the boat docks, the beach, hammocks, etc, all just very peaceful, hard to believe the hustle and bustle of the park and even inside the main CR tower is so close!

The absolute best thing about the CR was the abilility to have just a short walk and be right at the MK. The convenience of that over waiting for a bus or even a monorail is fantastic.

theirish68
04-01-2006, 04:34 PM
thanks I think I made the right choice too (although there really is no wrong choice in terms of disney resorts). The kids will be disappointed not going to SAB (since I already openned my big mouth about it and showed it to them) but I know they will have a blast on the slide at CR. They have a great time a the local Y so I'm not worried about that.

I think my wife and I might have enjoyed the "feel" a little more of the BC but how can you go wrong with a deluxe at Disney. It's about $70 a night cheaper too so I'm sure I can find a way to spend that.

But above all watching the fireworks from the beach (you can see them right?) and the water light show thing and the 10 minute walk to MK or the relaxing monorail ride for a little resort hopping makes it the right choice for us at this stage.

I'm glad to hear you family enjoyed it so much since we have almost the exact spread of ages... My kids will be 10, 7, 3...... SAB, even the lazy river worried me as it is very deep, the 7 year old is a strong swimmer but if I can't see her and she is over her head, I get nervous.