PDA

View Full Version : Extra expenses on board

autumnsmom
03-30-2006, 10:41 AM
What is not included that a first timer might expect is included?

Thanks! :stir:

CACruisin'
03-30-2006, 11:05 AM
The only thing that you must budget for are Tips for the 4 designated positions: room steward, asst server, server, head server.

However, there are lots of other places to spend $:

Optional Tips/gifts for other positions that have been helpful: Kid Counselors, bartenders, porters, etc.

Room Service tips: $1-2 per

Drinks/snacks ordered from Room service

Pictures from Shutters:$$ This one always gets us into trouble :rotfl2:

Alcholic drinks, smoothies and "Drink of the Day": The other big line item for us :rotfl2:

Palo: $10 per plus tip

Excursions

Soveniers (please excuse the mental spelling block.)

transportation to/from port: DCL, car service, car rental, private car to be parked in the lot

accomodations & meals if you are arriving the day before (recommended!)

I'm sure I am forgetting other things, but that is what I can think of off the top of my head.

autumnsmom
03-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the tips!

CACruisin'
03-30-2006, 11:47 AM
Glad I could help.

KimberlyC
03-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Add to that list, Flounders if you have a child that isn't old enough for the clubs;

Laundry, if you use it;

Spa, if you are so inclined;

Bottled water; and

Soft drinks at some locations are not free (i.e. from a bar).

CACruisin'
03-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Thanks KImberlyC. I totally forgot Flounders and used it a lot. The Spa was another big expense, but well worth it for us! :cloud9:

webray
03-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Wine packages, excursions (plus tips for your tour guides) are all extra.

If you choose to have brunch or high tea at Palo, that will be extra..a service charge per person plus tip.

brerrabbit70
03-30-2006, 02:57 PM
If you have older kids....the arcade! I allowed my kids a $10 card per day. It sure doesn't last long. :rolleyes2

tvguy
03-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Other thans tips, you need not spend a single penny beyond your fare.

Yes, there are a lot of "optional at extra cost" things, but OPTIONAL is the key word.

Here is what is included:
Your 3 meals a day, plus unlimited soda (at the beverage station and in the dining room), all the pizza, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, hamburgers, ice cream, french fries, fish sandwiches you can eat.
Movies, shows, seminars, activities and fitness center are all included.
Your room is of course included.

Option at extra cost:
1) Alcoholic beverages.(some folks bring their own)
2) Spa (they could eliminate that and not offend a lot of us)
3) Excursions (but in many ports, there are things to do within walking distance of the ship)
4) Palo (the extra cost restaurant)
5) Photos (take your own camera)
6) Souveniers (most end up as dust catchers)
7) Wine tasting

For a family of 4 on a 7 day eastern we spend $1200, $800 of that was excursions, $125 was alcohol/wine, most of the rest was tips.
DS (age 16) spent $5, getting his tie dry cleaned. DD ( age 11) spent nothing.
Now my dear mom just came off an 11 day cruise, and other than tips, she only spent $60 for wine.

crisi
03-30-2006, 04:13 PM
And technically, tips are "optional" - but in reality, this is the way all these positions are paid. As I understand it, they get only a few dollars a day in "salary" and the rest is tipped. Please budget for tips.

(Chances are good that you'll get excellent service and will be happy to hand over the suggested tip amount. We overtipped we were so thrilled with the service we got).

crisi
03-30-2006, 04:15 PM
And it appears no one has mentioned Bingo.