PDA

View Full Version : is taken really something to whine about?

hii'mtheSCAVENGER
03-29-2006, 11:55 PM
recently i've been hearing talk that vmk will close for good if we dont stop taken. they say that it will never return, and all we have to do is stop being so virtually love-stricken.

and i dont believe any word of it.

it is almost improbable that vmk could really close, there is certain profit coming from it- the in-park quests, all the accounts, the publicity,
but disneyland actually could hold out without it. it did before, so, couldn't it?

AIM:
but really, in-game 'love" is really fake, it is dangerous, dont ask for aim.
ive seen people give out their aim accounts, it is something you really should not do. you could get seriously hurt. you could get mentally or physically hurt, and you even run the risk of being murdered.

remember: this game was created for us not to hurt us, dont make it so it will. you control what you do in the game, and that is what it is based on. im sure the creators had thought it might come to such a thing as desperation for attention, something such as taken, where you might not have such a hot life at school and come home to fake "love".but please, dont do taken, this is a child's game. dont mess it up for them.

so post your views here, yes or no, is taken aproppriate?

SorcMickey
03-29-2006, 11:59 PM
taken is not against VMk Values and it is a rumor about closing nothing more than a rumor, according to VMK staff it wont close

Nanoer
03-30-2006, 12:40 AM
it's not against the vmk values but four words... dictonary dancing internet predators

magicmouse2
03-30-2006, 01:02 AM
A lot of adults play VMK and the 'Taken' thing is what actually bugged me so much I stopped playing. I assume the poll results are mainly answers from aduts like myself.

StitchfansJr
03-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Like others said it isn't "against" VMK values, unless u do something that is.

jeancbpugh
03-30-2006, 11:40 AM
I'd vote for: don't know about appropriateness, but it certainly is dull

cteddiesgirl
03-30-2006, 12:17 PM
See my posts about this topic in this thread: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1070291
:D

DemonLlama
03-30-2006, 02:05 PM
As a mom of both a son and daughter, let me try to explain my frustration at the issue. I apologize in advance for the length of my reply:

The environment in VMK is such now that many younger girls are measuring their real sense of self worth via a tiny little representation of themselves and whether a tiny little representation of a boy will find them "attractive" and want to "take" them.

The connotation of possession implied by this word suggests that their is some kind of ownership that should be desired and sought after by a complete stranger based solely on some bizarre "look" in a virtual game.

This "look" and the dependence on appearances strikes right at the desperation of little girls trying to get the "right" look (right weight, right clothes, right attitude, right sport, right crowd. . .) and is enough of a problem in our society that we should not dismiss this incarnation as a non-issue, especially when it caters to the pre-adolscent crowd just now forming an understanding of individuality. The more we allow them to believe their sense of validation can be equated by getting "taken" by the "cutest boy in VMK" or some such nonsense, the more problems we create.

For the slightly older crowd, there are hormonal fluctuations that lead some to feel as though they should go farther than just "taking" each other and the attempts to simulate contact goes to incredible (and surprisingly inventive) lengths to get around the dictionary and pretend to do things physically with one another. Does everyone who is into being "taken" do this? No, but there is a growing trend in rooms to push boundaries. And sometimes much younger kids, not knowing what is going on, get swept up in the madness.

Can it be stopped? Well, not by the word censors, because if history has taught us anything, it's that erasing words does not erase the thoughts, and people find a way to co-opt whatever words they can. Reminds me of a quote from an essay I've often taught:

". . .all you do by banning language used by cretins is to let them decide what the rest of us may say" (Jonathon Rauch, "In Defense of Prejudice" par. 15)

Instead, I would argue, that "taken" SHOULD BE against VMK values, if we want a value system that means anything.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled program . . . :surfweb:

cteddiesgirl
03-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Amen to that Demon! :thumbsup2

qruthie
03-30-2006, 03:33 PM
I chose "in the middle". I think the "taken" thing is very annoying but don't feel a need to ban it. I think it is mostly harmless and is a way to play the teenage dating game in a relatively safe environment. VMK tries to keep the environment safe. They aren't perfect but I believe they are doing a good job.

Yes, I believe there are people whose feelings are hurt if nobody wants their character. Yes, I believe there are cases where being "taken" gets carried too far (around the time of the end of beta, I walked in on a virtual childbirth that was taking place on the Music Game dance floor - yuck!). Yes, I believe there is a small element of danger to being "taken" because there are predators out there though my guess is the danger isn't much different from the danger of being friends with a predator. That's why I said there's a small element of danger. It's dangerous if you give out your personal information whether it's part of the "taken" stuff, part of friendship within the game or even sending it to someone you trust on this board. You never know for sure who you are dealing with!

I've seen the argument that in real life we don't go around asking random strangers if the are "taken". I think that is a valid point. However, in real life I don't wear a bird on my head (checks to verify that - lol), I don't teleport from room to room, I don't click on a map to go to a new location, I don't get to chase pink and green ghosts around with a vacuum and much to my chagrin, I don't have any magic spells. I'm not trying to trivialize any potential danger but I am trying to put being virtually "taken" into perspective.

No matter what the game is, there will be someone who takes it too seriously, essentially living vicariously through their game character. That is a serious problem in my opinion but I don't think VMK can do much to prevent that and I don't expect them to be the mental health police. I've chosen to accept the fact that VMK will never be perfectly safe, I think that's an impossible goal. I'm reminded of the controversy from the 1980s due to some Dungeons and Dragons players killing themselves when their character in the game died. The problem wasn't very widespread but many people wanted to ban the game based on those few tragedies. I disagreed with those people then and I pretty much feel the same way about being "taken" in VMK. Hopefully there will never be a tragedy due to being "taken" or not "taken" in VMK. In the meantime, I will do my best to prevent that sort of tragedy by refraining from asking players for personal information and taking action when I see players asking for personal information or giving out personal information.

qruthie (the 'q' is silent)

bootsonton
03-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Taken is so stupid that if it was a living person, we would all probably kill them. :furious: DOWN WITH TAKEN! DOWN WITH TAKEN! DOWN WITH TAKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol..IT IS SO DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GirlWithSpunk
03-31-2006, 07:42 AM
I clicked yes by accident, but I really I meant NO! It is NOT appropriate and people should stop doing these sort of things... :rolleyes2

Mcat
03-31-2006, 08:12 AM
Down with taken! It is stupid why do ppl want to do it? I agree with boot. :tink: pixiedust: :goofy: pooh: :cat:

mking624
03-31-2006, 09:58 AM
This is the internet...the world where people lie about themselves. You WILL have grown men and women preying on children who play on this site. To think otherwise is just naive. You have no idea who you're talking to when you're on VMK, so playing the "taken" game is not only immature (IMO), but also very dangerous. I wonder how many people would be "in the middle" or "for it" if they discovered a little girl was "taken" by a sexual predator in his 40s or 50s? How fun would the game be then? This isn't just a mere case of self-validation or whatnot, it's also about actual safety. Sound extreme? Well, it's really not. Sexual predators who harm children thrive on sites where children can be found...especially when they see they can actually talk to them. With all the dictionary dancers, it's very easy give out and find out info...and for it to end up in the wrong hands. And with all the VMK dedicated websites and message boards, those same people are also giving/finding out info even easier.

qruthie
04-01-2006, 06:16 PM
This is the internet...the world where people lie about themselves. You WILL have grown men and women preying on children who play on this site. To think otherwise is just naive. You have no idea who you're talking to when you're on VMK, so playing the "taken" game is not only immature (IMO), but also very dangerous. I wonder how many people would be "in the middle" or "for it" if they discovered a little girl was "taken" by a sexual predator in his 40s or 50s? How fun would the game be then? This isn't just a mere case of self-validation or whatnot, it's also about actual safety. Sound extreme? Well, it's really not. Sexual predators who harm children thrive on sites where children can be found...especially when they see they can actually talk to them. With all the dictionary dancers, it's very easy give out and find out info...and for it to end up in the wrong hands. And with all the VMK dedicated websites and message boards, those same people are also giving/finding out info even easier.

But how is "taken" in VMK more dangerous than being on someone's VMK friends list? I just don't see the difference between my little girl being friends with a predator and my little girl being "taken" by a predator. There seems to be an assumption that someone who is "taken" is more likely to give out their personal information than someone who is just friends with a player. I'm not buying into that assumption.

And for the record, yes, I do have a little girl and I also have a little boy. They don't play VMK much but when they do, I'm not concerned about them playing the "taken" game any more than I am concerned about them being friends with other players. That's not to say I'm not concerned about their safety, it just means I don't see "taken" as being more dangerous than being friends. I am very concerned about internet safety when it comes to my children. So concerned that I wouldn't sign the release papers for them to use the internet at school.

Another point I'd like to make is predators aren't necessarily adults. When my brother was four years old, a thirteen year old boy (with the nickname of Gay Ray) who had befriended the boys in the neighborhood, took him for a ride on his bicycle and then molested him. I'm not going to give any more details other than to say that what my brother said was done to him was quite graphic and very inappropriate for this forum. FYI, my brother seems to have recovered from this okay. The saddest part of the story is the boy lived in the local children's home (the place used to have orphanage in it's title) and lived in a dorm style room full of younger boys. Please don't be fooled into thinking only middle aged men are predators. Predators can be male, female, old, young, etc..

ibgrumpy
04-01-2006, 06:27 PM
I think it's silly so I just tell them I'm taken 4 times and don't have time for another .Usually gets a laugh.

hii'mtheSCAVENGER
04-01-2006, 06:28 PM
thank you guys, these are all some very good points. im still leaning now in the middle.

mking624
04-01-2006, 06:51 PM
But how is "taken" in VMK more dangerous than being on someone's VMK friends list? I just don't see the difference between my little girl being friends with a predator and my little girl being "taken" by a predator. There seems to be an assumption that someone who is "taken" is more likely to give out their personal information than someone who is just friends with a player. I'm not buying into that assumption.
You don't have to buy into anything...doesn't make it any less true. I'm not trying to say "you MUST agree with me", I'm just stating the reality of things like this and why I feel it's inappropriate. As far as friends on vmk, there are people who just do friend requests for the sake of having a lot of people on their friends list (I get this a lot, so I wind up denying several requests every time I'm on). They'll never talk to those people again, it's just about the numbers. Think of it like the people who go around making a bunch of "filler posts" simply to rack up a post count. It has nothing to do with quality posts...or actual friends. People tend to give out information to those they chat with...and the taken game encourages chat of a nature that is not the same as general chat with a "friend" on vmk. I'm not saying to never chat, but when you're playing a game of flirting, things will be said and done that won't be said and done with someone who is simply a friend. Like I said, you don't have to buy into it...but it doesn't make it less true. And it's not to say that "predator friends" will always be less troublesome. But playing the taken game makes things way more complicated then simply doing a friend request.

And for the record, yes, I do have a little girl and I also have a little boy. They don't play VMK much but when they do, I'm not concerned about them playing the "taken" game any more than I am concerned about them being friends with other players. That's not to say I'm not concerned about their safety, it just means I don't see "taken" as being more dangerous than being friends. I am very concerned about internet safety when it comes to my children. So concerned that I wouldn't sign the release papers for them to use the internet at school.

Another point I'd like to make is predators aren't necessarily adults. When my brother was four years old, a thirteen year old boy (with the nickname of Gay Ray) who had befriended the boys in the neighborhood, took him for a ride on his bicycle and then molested him. I'm not going to give any more details other than to say that what my brother said was done to him was quite graphic and very inappropriate for this forum. FYI, my brother seems to have recovered from this okay. The saddest part of the story is the boy lived in the local children's home (the place used to have orphanage in it's title) and lived in a dorm style room full of younger boys. Please don't be fooled into thinking only middle aged men are predators. Predators can be male, female, old, young, etc..

I didn't say predators are just middle aged men. My point is that one cannot assume that vmk is a place where those people will not be around, so I won't encourage an activity of pretend online dating where you have no idea just whom you're taken by. We have "friends" on the dis...where we are able to give out info. The thing is, we know roughly the ages of the people who post. But you don't get that with vmk...you can have friends, which is fine enough, but when you have no idea of who you're talking to, a pretending dating scene just begs for trouble. And considering all the controversy it always brings up, trouble it definitely has stirred.

qruthie
04-02-2006, 01:54 PM
You don't have to buy into anything...doesn't make it any less true. I'm not trying to say "you MUST agree with me", I'm just stating the reality of things like this and why I feel it's inappropriate. As far as friends on vmk, there are people who just do friend requests for the sake of having a lot of people on their friends list (I get this a lot, so I wind up denying several requests every time I'm on). They'll never talk to those people again, it's just about the numbers. Think of it like the people who go around making a bunch of "filler posts" simply to rack up a post count. It has nothing to do with quality posts...or actual friends. People tend to give out information to those they chat with...and the taken game encourages chat of a nature that is not the same as general chat with a "friend" on vmk. I'm not saying to never chat, but when you're playing a game of flirting, things will be said and done that won't be said and done with someone who is simply a friend. Like I said, you don't have to buy into it...but it doesn't make it less true. And it's not to say that "predator friends" will always be less troublesome. But playing the taken game makes things way more complicated then simply doing a friend request.

I didn't say predators are just middle aged men. My point is that one cannot assume that vmk is a place where those people will not be around, so I won't encourage an activity of pretend online dating where you have no idea just whom you're taken by. We have "friends" on the dis...where we are able to give out info. The thing is, we know roughly the ages of the people who post. But you don't get that with vmk...you can have friends, which is fine enough, but when you have no idea of who you're talking to, a pretending dating scene just begs for trouble. And considering all the controversy it always brings up, trouble it definitely has stirred.

I understand your points and don't necessarily disagree with you. My point is more like "taken" probably isn't more risky than "best friends forever" in VMK. When I say friends, I mean people who are really friends in the game and spend time together chatting and such. I'm not talking about the people who populate their lists just to have friends.

For example, one of my characters runs a game with high level prizes. She has collected a bunch of groupies that follow her around in the game. They beg to be helpers in the game and things like that. One even volunteered her personal information which my character protested about. I think that girl got banned because she disappeared right after that happened. But the damage was done in terms of her giving out her personal information. She lives in Oregon and her character name seems to include her first name. So, if my character, who does not do the "taken" thing despite several requests, were a predator, I think she would be equally as dangerous as a predator who did do the "taken" thing.

I do agree there may be an added danger to the "taken" thing but I don't agree that it is significantly different from being close friends on VMK with a predator. A predator will usually befriend their victim through whatever means, building a relationship of trust and then take advantage of that trust. I suspect it would be easier for a predator to just be good friends with potential victims and build up their trust that way rather than do the "taken" thing. After all, the "taken" thing is obviously controversial so why raise red flags when you don't need to do so?

That said, I have taught my children to assume there is a really creepy and dangerous adult on the other end of an internet connection. They have always been pretty good about understanding that.

robynbird
04-02-2006, 02:17 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with the taken thing, unless people take it too far and get truly inappropriate with it. It's kind of stupid, but I can see how it could be fun for some people. *shrugs* It doesn't much bother me, except when people start talking about it and the baby thing in game rooms and being really distracting. But that's the same thing about trades too.

Edit: Ok, I just noticed this and it kind of bothered me:

We have "friends" on the dis...where we are able to give out info. The thing is, we know roughly the ages of the people who post. But you don't get that with vmk...you can have friends, which is fine enough, but when you have no idea of who you're talking to, a pretending dating scene just begs for trouble.

I would just like to say that you never actually know who you're talking to, whether it's VMK, DIS, or anywhere. People can say they are ANYBODY and they might very well be lying. They can say they are any age, and they might be lying. Just because you can see info about other people doesn't mean it's true at all. You can have no idea of who you're talking to on the internet, unless you have met them in real life.

mking624
04-02-2006, 02:56 PM
I would just like to say that you never actually know who you're talking to, whether it's VMK, DIS, or anywhere. People can say they are ANYBODY and they might very well be lying. They can say they are any age, and they might be lying. Just because you can see info about other people doesn't mean it's true at all. You can have no idea of who you're talking to on the internet, unless you have met them in real life.
You're right, people can lie...I never said they couldn't (for that matter then, I suppose I should believe that everything you say is a lie then :goodvibes ). But we don't have to dictionary dance here and you can get a pretty good idea of ages simply by the way people post on here (the way your structure words/sentences/etc can give a lot away about the age...you'd be surprised. That's not to say people can't go around that and "learn" new ways, but the tendency is that you will say things according to your age). You have a better opportunity to get to know someone in a method that allows for more conversation and that allows for the revealing of personal info than you do where your words are limited...

I guess I just see a lack of consistency when people say it's not good to do in real life, but it's ok as long as you're a computer graphic. They both involve real people.

Again, I'm not trying to say "do as I do or say"...but I just think there needs to be consistency.

Unfortunately arguing about this won't change what can and does happen. Otherwise we wouldn't have FBI pretending to be children just to arrest people. I know it sounds extreme, but I'd rather make sure things are very safe then wish later that it was. Maybe you don't agree, but I'm sticking with what I feel is right and safe.

Happy playing!

wolfxofxnovember
04-02-2006, 03:08 PM
All that taken does is stimulate the hormones of older players and it also does nothing but hurt players mentally, physically and even socially. I agree with demon taken is absolutely wrong i am only a teen 15 to be exact and I absolutely agree with the "no taken" policy. Online relationships whether in chatrooms or with characters in games do nothing but hurt people.

Wolf

Prettybluebunny
05-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Well the taken thing is dangerous,but still u have to think about other ppl and how irl they mite not have a boy friend or gurl friend.It is still not right and a little sickening to hear some of these things that ppl do on vmk.I think of the taken thing as some ppls fantasys,but for others it is like the real deal the IM thing is very dangerous!! But i still did it ( I may sound dumb but i can tell the real from the fake.) So its everyone's opinion,no one is right no one is wrong u think no i think yes and maybe.Dont judge ppl just bc they do the taken thing.

Becky

Cpt.JackSpearow
05-20-2006, 01:59 PM
I hate the taken thing.

All day this is what i get from newbies

Are u taken
Want to go out?
Are u taken
Want to go out?
Are u taken
Want to go out?

ktink94
05-20-2006, 03:57 PM
TAKEN IS WRONG.

awesomehauntedboy5
05-20-2006, 09:53 PM
like vmk always says
quote: u never know the other person on the other side of the screen

TAKEN IS DUMB!

PolyFish
05-21-2006, 06:33 AM
Yesterday this was driving me insane! Every single place I went you get "Are You Taken?"

So if someone asks me i'll say "Yes, by a fish"

awesomehauntedboy5
05-21-2006, 12:23 PM
yea and the other part i hate, is im a kid and my parents always stress dont talk to predators and yada yada yada. and i hate the bay be stuff also!
its just like u dont even know the person and their like aww i glove u. and then it gets carried away when people make beds and that, its just sick. also with bay be saying their not worn

SassySavanah
05-24-2006, 01:14 AM
:cool1: Taken and proud of it!! Wootness:cool1:

hii'mtheSCAVENGER
05-25-2006, 07:32 PM
it just makes me happy too see a small ignorant youngster so unaware of the obvious dangers of life.

AdioSkater
05-25-2006, 09:19 PM
I hate the taken thing.

All day this is what i get from newbies

Are u taken
Want to go out?
Are u taken
Want to go out?
Are u taken
Want to go out?

I find it very funny that people do this. Would you ever do this in real life, go up to someone and ask any of these questions? NO you would not, so why do it in vmk?

Captain Brain
05-25-2006, 09:50 PM
I really don't care either way. Boys do want my hat though. I have acutually had Front be my gurl. ;)

AdioSkater
05-25-2006, 09:51 PM
I really don't care either way. Boys do want my hat though. I have acutually had Front be my gurl. ;)

LOL that was pretty funny brain. Then, MagicAce and I were arguing over who gets pay! ;)

Captain Brain
05-25-2006, 09:59 PM
LOL that was pretty funny brain. Then, MagicAce and I were arguing over who gets pay! ;)
:p We really new hobbies......

AdioSkater
05-25-2006, 10:03 PM
We really new hobbies......

Looks like brain needs some sleep. He forgot need!

jazstar87
05-25-2006, 11:20 PM
oh i feel loved :lovestruc

Loves Disney
05-26-2006, 05:21 AM
oh i feel loved :lovestruc

But pay, look at who the two idiots are who make you feel loved! :rotfl2: ;)

jazstar87
05-26-2006, 06:51 AM
:rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao:

LOL, an "Alpha Male" in training and a.....a.... CL_Patchy follower!

Yup i got the cream of the crop.... :rotfl2:

Captain Brain
05-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Who knew that Ace was a CL_Patchy follower.... Thanks goodness I'm not mentioned. :)