PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary Resort Rumor Confirmed

gazeborob
03-29-2006, 11:51 PM
Just thought that I would take a minute and fill you all in on what I was told tonight. My wife and I were having Ice Cream at Beaches and Cream with my wife’s Godmother who has been a Castmember for over 35 years. First, I made the comment about the $10 a day for internet access. She said that there are a lot of people on the inside that are trying to make that cost go away. She said it basically cost Disney nothing to have it available. While talking about the BCV’s, I told her that I have heard rumor about the Contemporary being remodeled into a DVC resort. Since she works in an area that would have something to do with the work going on, I think she would know the truth. I was told that YES, THE WINGS ARE BEING CONVERTED TO DVC. Sorry, but that is all I know at this time.

KyleRayner
03-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Just thought that I would take a minute and fill you all in on what I was told tonight. My wife and I were having Ice Cream at Beaches and Cream with my wife’s Godmother who has been a Castmember for over 35 years. First, I made the comment about the $10 a day for internet access. She said that there are a lot of people on the inside that are trying to make that cost go away. She said it basically cost Disney nothing to have it available. While talking about the BCV’s, I told her that I have heard rumor about the Contemporary being remodeled into a DVC resort. Since she works in an area that would have something to do with the work going on, I think she would know the truth. I was told that YES, THE WINGS ARE BEING CONVERTED TO DVC. Sorry, but that is all I know at this time.
I hope its true. There have been so many threads on this board about that very topic debating whether this would happen. It would be awesome if this happens but I'm going to try not to get my hopes up until DVC makes the official announcement.

bom_noite
03-30-2006, 04:51 AM
I personally believe the rumor is true. But, the question is no matter if it is Contemporary or EP when would they announce? Does it make sense to announce when SSR is at 50%? Would put a big-time crimp in sales!

n2mm
03-30-2006, 06:29 AM
This has been a rumor for awhile, but we too asked the DVC guide in February and also got the YES it's going to happen answer too. Of course, not until SSR is sold out. THis is WHY the NORTH wing is not being refurbished. The tower and south wing are being fixed up, then the NW is suppose to come down or be remodeled. I can't wait! I would be buying points here!

jimh13432
03-30-2006, 06:32 AM
and I would like to confirm also, that YES.......it is a rumor.

Oh Brother, hasn't there been enough threads on this subject? :sad2:

CarolA
03-30-2006, 07:22 AM

:rotfl2:

Sorry, but she lost me on "it basically cost Disney nothing to have it avaialble" That part is CORRECT, but that's because the provider is paying all the bills.... So Disney didn't finance the infrastructure, doesn't provide support or anything so YES it costs Disney nothing. The users pay the firm that does it all.... So Disney would have to start paying those bills if it was free....

And your title is misleading... unless you would like to post NAME and TITLE of the "source" it's still a RUMOR!

gammieatwdw
03-30-2006, 07:28 AM
Boy, I sure hope that "rumor" is true. I haven't been a member for all that long but I'd be first in line for the CRV. Lets keep our fingers crossed but until it is sure we have to just think this is speculation. Why would DVC let this slip? It could hurt sales at SSR.

dvc-NE
03-30-2006, 08:00 AM
Boy, I sure hope that "rumor" is true. I haven't been a member for all that long but I'd be first in line for the CRV. Lets keep our fingers crossed but until it is sure we have to just think this is speculation. Why would DVC let this slip? It could hurt sales at SSR.

I'm sure B3 would agree totally with this. But for now, let's just say it's a "confirmed" rumor.

dianeschlicht
03-30-2006, 08:34 AM
A rumor by any other name is still just a rumor. I would be surprised if DVC would announce anything prior to SSR being sold out. They sure wouldn't do it with SSR only half gone. BTW, we all heard from "reliable sources" that AKL was going to be DVC even when it was already being built. It was just a rumor too, but many said it was a "sure thing"! I for one, would have ZERO interest in a CRV.

magicmommy
03-30-2006, 08:47 AM
Another thought on CRV...Would they announce CRV at a much higher price in hopes of folks buying at SSR for a much lower price knowing they could use points at CR???

keys2kingdom
03-30-2006, 08:54 AM

Nice to see another new member weighing in on the subject. pirate:

jctwizzer
03-30-2006, 09:23 AM
If I had a dime for rumor we've heard from a CM, that later turned out to have no merit whatsoever, we'd be up to about three bucks now. :cool1: :wave2:

dvc-NE
03-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Nice to see another new member weighing in on the subject. pirate:

Yes, quite refreshing, isn't it? :yay:

DisFlan
03-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Wings?? As in plural? That doesn't sound too likely.

YACR. (Yet another Contemporary rumor.)

Making the internet fee go away would be nice. But I won't hold my breath for that one, either. ;)

DisFlan

thelionqueen
03-30-2006, 09:53 AM
The rumor mill just cracks me up and I LOVE it :love: I almost bought during the F&F incentive but copped out at the last minute. I know I would love DVC ownership but don't like SSR, and OKW, which I LOVE didn't have the longer contract I was looking for.

If CRV became available, I would buy instantly, however much and whatever it took, make my indecision go away. Come on Disney, free my husband from this torturous indecision and give us CRV :teeth:

abner1776
03-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Internet access at WDW..why and who cares ???? I go to WDW to ESCAPE from my daily work and stress which includes too many e-mails and websites..why would I want to bring the things that stress me out on my vacation ??? Our family use to spend a week in the wilds of Wyoming at a ranch horseback riding every day...we left the cellphones and PDA's at home, but the ranch provided wired internet access in one room off the dining room. I was amazed by the people who brought their laptops to Wyoming and spent over 90 minutes each evening "connected" ...I guess the definition for "vacation" has changed.
As far as the possibility of a CRV... I will pass on it for now until I see what DVC and WDW are going to do with the current property...it needs more than a "rehab" in my mind...the entire property is tired and totally lacks any "pizzaze" or even any Disney magic. The monorail can only overcome so much, but I know that being the only DVC monorail resort, there will not be a shortage of people at the head of the list. It would not surprise me to see people buying just in the hope of turning a profit on a quick resale, which will be too bad, but not unheard of.

flechette
03-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Regarding the internet - sorry but Disney most likely does pay some sort of fee for each temporary IP address issued to guests. (or whatever the proper term is) However it mostly likely is less than $9.95 - given the prices I've seen I'd say it's probably $4.99 or so.

If that is the case then I'd like to see DVC owner get charged the base rate and not the rate to turn a profit. :thumbsup2 That seems more reasonable to me.

{I have no actual knowledge of the charges Disney may pay, I've worked in the hotel industry in NC and for cable companies and am basing the previous suggestions on that experience ... disclaimer ended :teeth: }

I have 0 interest inthe Contemporary DVC except that mean I can't use my points (whenever I get them) to stay at a tower room :rolleyes2

ddave
03-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Another thought on CRV...Would they announce CRV at a much higher price in hopes of folks buying at SSR for a much lower price knowing they could use points at CR???

If SSR is not really selling that well, as some people have speculated, this would definitely be a way to sway people that are on the edge.

Didney Daddy
03-30-2006, 09:58 AM
Just to pile on the rumor frenzy. The redevelopment timeline for a project like CR is going to be huge. I would not get too excited about an 06-08 timeline. It is probably 09-11. That leaves a lot of time to sell SSR.

ddave
03-30-2006, 10:04 AM
Regarding the internet - sorry but Disney most likely does pay some sort of fee for each temporary IP address issued to guests. (or whatever the proper term is) However it mostly likely is less than $9.95 - given the prices I've seen I'd say it's probably $4.99 or so.

If that is the case then I'd like to see DVC owner get charged the base rate and not the rate to turn a profit. :thumbsup2 That seems more reasonable to me.

I'm sure WDW and Disney Corp has a ton of Bandwidth. I'm pretty sure each hotel is connected the corporate network in some way. The only cost to them would be for some wiring into the Villas/Hotels to put in Wireless Access Points. They are not charged for internal IP addresses on their private network (ie: 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.*. (Same concept as you putting in a Wireless/wired Router at home and and using multiple computers with your ISP). So, my opinion is that is should be a perk for guests staying on site.

flechette
03-30-2006, 10:20 AM
They are not charged for internal IP addresses on their private network (ie: 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.*. (Same concept as you putting in a Wireless/wired Router at home and and using multiple computers with your ISP). So, my opinion is that is should be a perk for guests staying on site.

Time Warner Residential RR did charge $10 a month for each addt'l computer registered tho I had heard they gave up on that. Having worked hotel AP (accounts payable) I've paid bills for internet use tho they've only show X number of IPs assigned which I then matched to the charges posted to the rooms to make sure we charged the same number we're paying for- and no the numbers never matched -

Bandwidth for corporate use vs bandwidth for all of Disney property free of charge? Free internet use for an area the size of Manhatten? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I really do believe that costs them something - tho less than what they are charging.

dianeschlicht
03-30-2006, 10:24 AM
We were told Disney decided to outsource the highspeed at the resorts to keep it seperate from their corporate accounts.

NJBlackBerry
03-30-2006, 10:24 AM
I am surprised at the amount of skepticism surrounding this information. It came from a CM - it must be 100% factual.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

These rumor mills are great! Keep 'em coming!

Jen D
03-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Internet access at WDW..why and who cares ???? I go to WDW to ESCAPE from my daily work and stress which includes too many e-mails and websites..why would I want to bring the things that stress me out on my vacation ??? Our family use to spend a week in the wilds of Wyoming at a ranch horseback riding every day...we left the cellphones and PDA's at home, but the ranch provided wired internet access in one room off the dining room. I was amazed by the people who brought their laptops to Wyoming and spent over 90 minutes each evening "connected" ...I guess the definition for "vacation" has changed.

I understand where are you are coming from and that is your perspective. I personally don't associate stress with my laptop-- it is a very convenient tool I use daily, for leisure as well as work, although I don't work on vacations. I enjoy having a hook-up in my room, do read my preferred daily paper, to look up menus on All Ears, to upload vacation photos, to deal with any airline confirmations and changes that might come up; to let kids play games during downtime, whatever. That's not to say I necessarily believe the service should be free-- I have long said a nice compromise might be a weekly fee for those who want to connect every day, like $25 or $40 or something-- at least until the initial costs of wiring can be recouped. But I just wanted to point out that more and more, laptops and internet connections are not necessarily something that means bringing your work on vacation, it's just a lifestyle tool that many of us enjoy.

DVC Sadie
03-30-2006, 12:21 PM

Maybe, just maybe, some of the rumors from doom and gloom posters are not true and SSR is right on track for sales or not as bad as some would like everyone to believe. :rolleyes:

I have already called and notified our guide that if or when CR DVC happens to please call ASAP so we could purchase 500 points immediately. :cool1:

Lewisc
03-30-2006, 12:26 PM
Eagle Pines was more than a rumor. I'm sure DVC is working on plans for the Contemporary, as well as other possible projects.

Until we see some confirmation from Disney the report may be a little more than a rumor but not much more.

DVC Sadie
03-30-2006, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=abner1776]Internet access at WDW..why and who cares ???? I go to WDW to ESCAPE from my daily work and stress which includes too many e-mails and websites..why would I want to bring the things that stress me out on my vacation ??? Our family use to spend a week in the wilds of Wyoming at a ranch horseback riding every day...we left the cellphones and PDA's at home, but the ranch provided wired internet access in one room off the dining room. I was amazed by the people who brought their laptops to Wyoming and spent over 90 minutes each evening "connected" ...I guess the definition for "vacation" has changed.

While I see your point of view in regards to vacations not being jumbled with cellphones and laptops I have a different point of view. When I am lucky enough to have my dh willing to spend 2 weeks at WDW I also know that he has to work part of the time to guarantee that we will always have the luxury, and disposable income of spending lots of time on vacations every year. Having internet service whether free or charged is a must for him. I'm sure not everyone feels this way but it works for us.

magicmouse2
03-30-2006, 12:34 PM
I hope they do give us free internet access. Then I can do live trip reports and keep up to date with my emails! :cool1: Also hope DVC comes to Contemporary. :goodvibes

doombuggy
03-30-2006, 12:57 PM
I am a new member (just a couple of weeks) but would buy at CR if this became an option. I have not heard anything except for over the internet, and I live/work here. It becomes fact when the company announces it. I am not in the "cone."

I will be waiting for an announcement like everyone else. :sunny:

twister
03-30-2006, 01:05 PM
What is the huge attraction to CR? I assume it is the monorail? The resort it's self, when I stayed there ages ago wasn't anything to write home about.

Sammie
03-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Certainly until Disney makes an official announcement any talk of the addition to the Contemporary is rumor, but I would say it is a very reliable one.

In fact I really do not consider it to be a doubt as to whether they will build it, but more about when.

Stitch 03
03-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Just to pile on the rumor frenzy. The redevelopment timeline for a project like CR is going to be huge. I would not get too excited about an 06-08 timeline. It is probably 09-11. That leaves a lot of time to sell SSR.

If CRV is going to happen, I believe it will be in the 06-08 timeline. I do not think the 09-11 timeline works. I think that if CRV is going to happen, its going to happen soon or not at all. The reasons are:

1) The CR is currently undergoing a major renovation to modernize it at significant expense.
2) The North Wing can not remain in its current state. The North Wing would need to be re-modelled to remain up to the standards of the rest of the resort.
3) If the North Wing is re-modelled, I do not believe they would offer it to DVC for another 15-20 years. Why go through all the expense so that you can demolish it in 3-5 years.
4) I guess they could always agree to give DVC the North Wing for 09-11 and just board up the wing in the meantime (use as offices or storage). But I think this is unlikely.

This is what I think will happen:

Sometime soon (possibly in the fall), they will announce one of two things:

1) DVC is taking over the North Wing and work will begin right away. Result - rumor confirmed.
2) The North Wing is being re-modelled. Result - The DVC rumor is dead and we will not see a CRV in a long time, if ever.

The one thing to realize is that the decision will not be based solely on DVC's needs, but the resort as a whole. And in that regard, I do not see DVC being in the driver's seat as far as timing is concerned.

DrTomorrow
03-30-2006, 01:35 PM
What is the huge attraction to CR? I assume it is the monorail? The resort it's self, when I stayed there ages ago wasn't anything to write home about. Disclaimer: I stayed at the CR twice in the early 70's (Easter '73, Summer '74 - one Tower one Wing) with my late parents and twice with DW & DS in the 90's (twice Tower) and have the fondest memories of the old CR. That being said, however, the only real selling point is going to be "Location Location Location". Close to the MK, close to (well, on) the monorail, on the water, etc. Sadly, the resort itself suffers from the same case of "Themus Outdaticus" that felled the original Tomorrowland. The place has all the visual excitement of a 70's-era office complex, and the interior is like an old mall - plus the Convention Center for added suits. When we finally have grandchildren, I'd probably take there to CRV once, but SSR is just fine with us.

IMHO - YMMV

Katchakat
03-30-2006, 01:35 PM
I hope they do give us free internet access. Then I can do live trip reports and keep up to date with my emails! :cool1: Also hope DVC comes to Contemporary. :goodvibes

Free access is not likely:

Reason 1) Disney wants you OUT of your room spending $$$, not hiding behind a computer screen.

Reason 2) People are going to stay in the Disney resorts regardless of whether they have to pay $10/day for internet or not. Why would Disney give up all that money?

I also don't see the attraction to CR, but each to their own... I happen to like cabins, most don't - LOL.

gazeborob
03-30-2006, 01:39 PM
I am surprised at the amount of skepticism surrounding this information. It came from a CM - it must be 100% factual.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

These rumor mills are great! Keep 'em coming!

I can understand you being skeptical, but since this one was confirmed from a relative, I personally believe it to be true. The person that told me that they were making the wings, yes plural, a part of DVC is head of a department that will be or is doing work on the project. She would have nothing to gain from making stories that are not true.

As for the internet access, that is her department as well.

dianeschlicht
03-30-2006, 01:49 PM
I can understand you being skeptical, but since this one was confirmed from a relative, I personally believe it to be true. The person that told me that they were making the wings, yes plural, a part of DVC is head of a department that will be or is doing work on the project. She would have nothing to gain from making stories that are not true.

So what do you make of the announcement Disney made last year saying the South wing was being refurbed along with the tower rooms?

canda
03-30-2006, 03:20 PM
I would love to see a CR DVC. One thing I think would have to work out is the convention space. If they are spending big bucks to remodel the tower, to make the convention space more attractive, then why would they get rid of half the rooms that they can sell for convention space?

On the plus side, I could see the resort using DVC to pay for many of the operations that struggle to be paid now through half empty rooms and dining/bar. CR owners would most likely have to pay in dues upkeep in monorail. Parkinglot upkeep, pool, (a new themed one would have to be built) boats, etc....

Blue&Gold
03-30-2006, 03:44 PM
The person that told me that they were making the wings, yes plural, a part of DVC is head of a department that will be or is doing work on the project. She would have nothing to gain from making stories that are not true.

Probably better not to give any more identifying info, or your source may have some egg on her face.

Rumor-mongering is fun, but until the points go on sale, I don't think folks should get too emotionally invested.

Dennyha
03-30-2006, 08:35 PM
If DVC built a resort at the Contemporary, I would like to stay there... once. I'd like to see what it's like, but I'm more interested in staying at SSR, or one of the other current resorts.

The character of the resort is more important to me than the type of transportation I must take to get to the parks.

byoung
03-30-2006, 09:21 PM
I'll play the wait and see game. If it happens I'm sure it will be the quickes sellout of a DVC resort.

Tinky
03-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Just wonderin... what do you think dues would be on a CR DVC??? :crazy:

simzac
03-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Add me to the list of those who see no value in CRV. Being close to the parks is not important while I'm at my resort. Being close to my resort is not important when I'm at the parks.But this is just me, I guess others find this necessary. :confused3

Happy Birthday Cat
03-30-2006, 10:17 PM
Being close to the parks is not important while I'm at my resort. Being close to my resort is not important when I'm at the parks.But this is just me, I guess others find this necessary.

What is really nice is to see everyone else heading out of EPCOT to the parking lot as I stroll through the uncrodwed IG entrance and back to my room at the BCV or BWV. It's not necessary but it sure is nice.

HBC

Happy Birthday Cat
03-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Just wonderin... what do you think dues would be on a CR DVC??? :crazy:

My guess is that they will be one of the highest. One of the reasons that Disney will build the Contemporary DVC resort in my opinion is to help subsidize the monorail. DVCers will gladly kick in their maintenance fees for the upkeep, even if it will be closer to walk to the MK from the resort than to walk up into the actual CR to ride it.

HBC

DrTomorrow
03-31-2006, 12:21 AM
What is really nice is to see everyone else heading out of EPCOT to the parking lot as I stroll through the uncrodwed IG entrance and back to my room at the BCV or BWV. It's not necessary but it sure is nice.

HBC Now THIS I can honestly see the value in. The one (and really only) thing I hate about WDW transportation is leaving the MK at night by bus. Sadly, that's the park where driving is the least beneficial (drive and park and walk to tram and take tram and walk to boat/monorail and take boat/monorail vs take the bus). But I find myself mentally planning so we don't leave right after a Wishes or Spectro or at closing time....

MdmMim
03-31-2006, 06:46 AM

I totally agree with this!! :banana: It's such a great feeling to casually stroll back to the resort and not have to get in a bus line!!

TammyAlphabet
03-31-2006, 06:58 AM

HBC

This was the biggest reason that I bought in at the BWV last year. I have had too many experiences of trying to get out of EPCOT after Illuminations moving inch by inch. Oh, the IG is the most wonderful perk of staying at BCV or BWV. We REALLY appreciated it last Christmas when the parks were packed to the gills. And it was easy for my son to go back and forth to the room from EPCOT without having to take a bus. A true onsite experience for us.

greenban
03-31-2006, 07:04 AM
Add me to the list of those who see no value in CRV. Being close to the parks is not important while I'm at my resort. Being close to my resort is not important when I'm at the parks.But this is just me, I guess others find this necessary. :confused3

Okay your added to the list: (Based on Beca's and VAscubaGUY's most excellent ROFR list):

Those who see value in the CRV:

greenban: 03/30/2006, Owner at all but HHI and CRV (so far!)
Dr. Tomorrow: 03/30/2006, Our friend from the future. I think he knows something about the CRV, but he's not telling!

Those who see NO VALUE in the CRV:

simzac: 03/30/2006, President and charter member of NVCRV!

Those waiting to decide if there is value in the CRV:

all other DISers: COME ON AND VOTE!

-Tony

No resorts or DISers were bashed or flamed in the making of this reply!

Dennyha
03-31-2006, 07:19 AM
Of course there's value in CRV. Any addition to the on-site resorts will add variety to the choices available to the DVCer's. I'm sure after CRV is built (and probably before), members will debate the advantages and disadvantages of CRV over other on-site resorts. It's like arguing which is better, the Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain. Sometimes I prefer one and sometimes I prefer the other, but the World is better for having both. Same with the DVC. Personally, I am more aligned with the character of the resort than where it's located. (Even at BWV, where it's nice to walk to Epcot, you still have to take a bus to get to MK or AK). But that's just me. Everybody gets to have their own preferences. ISN'T IT GREAT!

greenban
03-31-2006, 07:26 AM
Of course there's value in CRV. Any addition to the on-site resorts will add variety to the choices available to the DVCer's. I'm sure after CRV is built (and probably before), members will debate the advantages and disadvantages of CRV over other on-site resorts. It's like arguing which is better, the Haunted Mansion or Splash Mountain. Sometimes I prefer one and sometimes I prefer the other, but the World is better for having both. Same with the DVC. Personally, I am more aligned with the character of the resort than where it's located. (Even at BWV, where it's nice to walk to Epcot, you still have to take a bus to get to MK or AK). But that's just me. Everybody gets to have their own preferences. ISN'T IT GREAT!

You have a great idea!

Howabout the DVC-III, super exclusive, very small resorts.

The Villas at the Haunted Mansion. The towers at the Tower of Terror, Spaceship Earth Podules...... Ooooooohhhhhh..

-Tony

Ksp
03-31-2006, 07:27 AM
Now THIS I can honestly see the value in. The one (and really only) thing I hate about WDW transportation is leaving the MK at night by bus. Sadly, that's the park where driving is the least beneficial (drive and park and walk to tram and take tram and walk to boat/monorail and take boat/monorail vs take the bus). But I find myself mentally planning so we don't leave right after a Wishes or Spectro or at closing time....
Ditto, DrTomorrow. MK doesn't have an easy way to get there... walking from CR would be a plus. (It also doesn't hurt the CR has been my husband's dream vacation spot since he was young!)

doombuggy
03-31-2006, 07:53 AM
Dr. Tomorrow: 03/30/2006, Our friend from the future. I think he knows something about the CRV, but he's not telling!

CRV would have value to me, since I love the MK. It might not to the next guy. :sunny:

simzac
03-31-2006, 09:39 AM
CRV would have value to me, since I love the MK. It might not to the next guy. :sunny:
I love MK as much as anyone, my point is when I'm not in the park, I want to be away from the hustle and bustle just to relax, I only get one week of vacation a year and want to make the most of it. I'm thrilled so many want to see CRV added, I'm just not one of them. Sorry if I sound negative, just voicing my opinion. :confused3

Katchakat
03-31-2006, 09:45 AM

The Villas at the Haunted Mansion. The towers at the Tower of Terror, Spaceship Earth Podules...... Ooooooohhhhhh..

-Tony

I don't know - I like a quieter resort. It seems to me the neighbors might be a bit noisy at ToT, you know... all that screaming, not to mention the on-going problem of malfunctioning elevators. :confused3 Just my opinion.

MyGoofy26
03-31-2006, 10:51 AM
On the topic of the wireless Internet in the rooms. . . I don't know if this helps/hurts/has no effect, but a few years ago when I was on the college program we were told that Disney has its own phone company onsite (as well as water) because it was cheaper to "produce" these things themselves than to outsource it to a regular phone/water company. I haven't used the wireless Internet in the rooms so I don't know if it's like at some hotels where you log on through a major Internet provider, but is it possible that in addition to telephone, water and who knows what else that Disney is its own Internet company as well?

MyGoofy26
03-31-2006, 11:07 AM

Another way to look at it. . . maybe these people wouldn't otherwise be permitted to take that vacation if they had work to do at home but Internet access allows it.

Two years ago I spent a month in Italy. It was right in the middle of the semester. My University has a number of web courses and I had registered all of my classes as Internet courses (luckily a number of my major requirements were available online as well as traditional courses) and spent most of March in Italy. I could hop online and get my new asssigments as they were posted, do the work in the evening or afternoon on days nothing was planned, and then spend the rest of my time enjoying Italy. If I hadn't been able to access the Internet, I would have had to opt out on that amazing vacation.

Glorydaz
03-31-2006, 11:48 AM
well, we all agree on one thing ...we love Disney! otherwise, I'm sure we would have found another worthwhile venture to plunk our dollars on... as far as CRV - count me out...I could care less about the monorail.. tried it this past Feb just to say I had - nice but no great shakes...

it amuses me how people rave about being able to get here or there because their DVC is located close by BUT none of the resorts has transportation to ALL the parks.....kind of funny, dontcha think??! one is no better than the next ...so in the end, it just comes down to personal preference ( which has been the case all along)..if I have it right, BWV and BCV are in walking distance to Epcot , WLV has a boat to MK, SSR gets you to DTD in a few minutes by foot or boat and OKW gets to DTD by boat also ... bottom line, we're all in the same place - WDW !! and that's better ANY day than my desk at work!! ( which by the way I can drive to in 11 1/2 minutes) :rotfl2:

have a good one.... :wave2:

1000th happy haunt
03-31-2006, 12:09 PM
You have a great idea!

-Tony

I would definitely do add-ons for VHM and TTOT.

DisFlan
03-31-2006, 12:27 PM
You have a great idea!

-Tony

Oh, man, this has been a fantasy of mine for 30 years! When our son was little, he used to walk around the parks and play Hotel Guy. He'd point out where rooms could be tucked into Germany and Norway and around Imagination at Epcot, on Tom Sawyer's Island or over Main Street in the MK. And in the Castle for Dad. We would have gladly paid BIG money very early on if there'd been "in park" DVCs!

DisFlan

shellbelle1971
03-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Okay your added to the list: (Based on Beca's and VAscubaGUY's most excellent ROFR list):

-Tony

No resorts or DISers were bashed or flamed in the making of this reply!

Tony,
I wouldn't say "NVCRV" for us. They'd be great because a lot of people WOULD want them, thereby reducing pressure at other resorts. But there would be LVCRV ("L" for little) for our family. Even though we would enjoy staying on the monorail, we just don't like the contemporary. So much the better for us if others love it, though!

Groucho
03-31-2006, 12:52 PM
Time Warner Residential RR did charge $10 a month for each addt'l computer registered tho I had heard they gave up on that. Having worked hotel AP (accounts payable) I've paid bills for internet use tho they've only show X number of IPs assigned which I then matched to the charges posted to the rooms to make sure we charged the same number we're paying for- and no the numbers never matched -
The extra monthly charge was for additional "real" IP addresses. Those are basically obsolete now as cable routers are so ridiculously cheap. (For several years, I used a unix (FreeBSD) system to do the same thing, now a $10-after-rebate box does it plus wireless!)

The cable router uses a single IP address but uses something called "NAT" to make all your other systems think that they're directly connected to the internet, when they're not. I would assume that Disney wireless uses the same thing. So, there's no additional cost for the IP addresses.

Bandwidth for corporate use vs bandwidth for all of Disney property free of charge? Free internet use for an area the size of Manhatten? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I really do believe that costs them something - tho less than what they are charging.
They're not putting in internet all over the property, just in the hotels. And once the infrastructure is there, there's little additional cost - some wireless access points and the ethernet is already run to the hotel, and that stuff is generally pretty reliable so there's not many support costs. The primary day-to-day cost is the bandwidth itself, which is probably not a huge amount as currently not many people use it and those who do aren't likely to be doing large downloads. Making it free will certainly increase the amount of bandwidth used but probably not to an enormous degree.

As for a CRV, I'm not sure if I'd do an add-on but I'd love to stay there - I was born a month before WDW opened and in my mind, the Contemporary is an important icon of WDW. Sure, it may be aged inside, but hey - it's the Contemporary! Still, I've only stayed there once, in the late '70s, so any recent experience has just been from gliding through on the monorail - but MK is my favorite park and I'd love to be on a monorail resort.

spiceycat
03-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Before OKW was sold out - BWV, VB and HH were all built and being sold.....

most of the sale guides would like more to offer than just SSR....

it might work great for them.

more people came to see BW - because it was someone you could see.... right there along the BW...

but several of these people did not like BW - so they took them over to OKW and they loved it....

just depends upon what the new people like,.... some will love Cont - others will love SSR.... so I would think that Cont rooms will be smaller, and not as upscale as SSR... but who knows - they could even be more upscale (like the rest of the resort)....

but the 15 floor building - no - Disney doesn't do that - it probably will be the same height the wing is now... and for that other wing - the rumor about the tennis court....

I can't believe that after the Cont, who spend a fortune on the South wing,(and still are) that they would give them to DVC....unless of course, they found something that couldn't get fixed - so they might as well tear them down and start again. they did take a long time to fix????

Internet - hey I am so out of that - I have a computer at home but so far I haven't even brought a laptop.....I can't see them being worth it for me - I would only put my pictures on it and new disck for my camera are in the $30 and I can reuse them.....

so why buy?

CarolMN
03-31-2006, 04:12 PM
You have a great idea!

-TonyWell I want CASTLE points. Of course, my home resort will be Cinderella's place, but I want to use my castle points at the castles in DL, Tokyo, Paris and Hong Kong, too!

Best wishes -

simzac
03-31-2006, 06:27 PM
Well I want CASTLE points. Of course, my home resort will be Cinderella's place, but I want to use my castle points at the castles in DL, Tokyo, Paris and Hong Kong, too!

Best wishes -
Now that's something I WOULD :thumbsup2 be interested in :teeth:

sajetto
03-31-2006, 06:35 PM
Now that's something I WOULD :thumbsup2 be interested in :teeth:

Ditto on that one...I'd buy 1,000 points and take out a second mortgage :thumbsup2

Paul in CT
03-31-2006, 10:29 PM
I like the monorail as much as the next person, but I don't think that I would want to pay the point per night charges for the privilege. I expect they will be higher than for other DVC's for similar accomodations. If they are similar to the BWV Std. view rate I will consider it. :teeth:

manning
04-01-2006, 01:28 AM
Nuts! you mean there aren't going to be free lagoon view rooms available. I was wondering why the CM was smiling.

cslittle999
04-01-2006, 11:49 AM
They're not putting in internet all over the property, just in the hotels. And once the infrastructure is there, there's little additional cost - some wireless access points and the ethernet is already run to the hotel, and that stuff is generally pretty reliable so there's not many support costs. The primary day-to-day cost is the bandwidth itself, which is probably not a huge amount as currently not many people use it and those who do aren't likely to be doing large downloads. Making it free will certainly increase the amount of bandwidth used but probably not to an enormous degree.

I doubt that they are using Disney's network because then Disney would have to harden the security on all of their internal systems to avoid someone hacking from the inside. Security issue and the need to be able to accurately track the costs is likely why Disney has hired an outside company to provide the service. From experience at work the bandwidth requirements are probably a lot higher than you might think.

The real issue with making it free is how to split the costs between DVC members and Disney. Might be straight forward at OKW and SSR but what about the others that are attached to a non-DVC resort? With wireless it is hard to decide what room people are in to decide if it is a Disney or members cost.

cobbler
04-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Also I don't think both wings will be DVC. I swear I read reports about people staying in the newly refurbed South wing.

Sammie
04-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Also I don't think both wings will be DVC. I swear I read reports about people staying in the newly refurbed South wing.

The South Wing is being rehabbed with the new design and is half finished and the rest will be finished by summer of this year.