PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Surprising the Family

iankh
03-29-2006, 11:14 PM
I have my DDIL, DSIL and DGS coming over from the UK this November to spend Thanksgiving with us. Unknown to them, we are planning a family vacation in 2007 that will include treating them to a 4-night DCL cruise, followed by a week in WDW.

They know about WDW and are excited since they have never been there, but do not at all know about the DCL surprise we have in store.

I'm looking for some creative suggestions in how to surprise them with the cruise.

mom x4,grandma x4
03-30-2006, 07:10 AM
Howdy,
I thnik that you could make up a scavenger hunt at your house for the last day before you leave your home or at your hotel if you have to spend the night at a hotel the night before. Give clues to get from each clue to the next and make them decorated with nautical and disney stickers or pictures. Use Nautical wording on them. When they get to the final clue make like a treasure map that shows the port and the islands where you will be going. Have a red line maping they route you will be taking and maybe have a picture of Mickey on it saying something like "Welcome Aboard Matey's"
Then see how long it takes them to catch on. Maybe have some eye patches or pirate bandanas waiting with the final clue for the pirate party.
Hope this helps you think of something cleaver, Let us know what you decide.
mom x4,grandma x4

disneediva
03-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Kathy,
Great ideas , but aren't you supposed to be unpacking? It looks like you are going to need the help of the "Wild Turkey"( if that is the name we have come up with) Cruisers to keep you on the path. LOL Have a great morning
Wendy

mom x4,grandma x4
03-30-2006, 07:51 AM
Ok, Wendy,
I'm busted!! :confused3
I am being lazy and playing in the computer for awhile. :surfweb:

Yes, i still have a few boxes left. I will finish unpacking fragile items for my china closet today, then 2 boxes of office and computer supplies and I will be done!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

But I dont plan on finishing today, I am playing hooky :woohoo:

I hope my DH doesnt catch me too!

I always look busy and tired when he gets home from work, so he feels sorry for me. :rolleyes1 Ha! Ha! It works everytime.
Have a good one,
mom x4,grandma x4
kathy :wave:

ibouncetoo
03-30-2006, 08:44 AM
iankh, are you planning on telling them when they are here this Thanksgiving? You could go the very subtle route....and suggest a "what I'm thankful for" type of grace at Thanksgiving dinner and when it's your turn you can say "I'm thankful that we are able to take...........on a 4 day Disney Wonder cruise before our WDW vacation next year".

curlybop
03-30-2006, 12:26 PM
I've had ours booked for just a few weeks, and DH & DD have no idea. We've discussed going, but as far as DH knows, it's still in the works!

Meanwhile, I've been on eBay. I got him a shirt w/ DCL on it, a hat, and a Mickey cruise pin. I'm going to try (though may not succeed) to wait until August, and give it all to him as an anniversary gift, and watch his face when he realizes we really are going.

As for DD, I'll get her some Princess swimwear and give to her about a week before we leave. Otherwise, I'll hear it every day "Is it time yet?" :)

NCardella
03-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Iankh,
I started a similar thread that turned up some cute ideas if you'd like to take a look.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1051479

We had our March 2006 trip planned since June 2005 and didn't tell the kids until a week before! 9months would have been just torture for them!

Have fun! There are so many ideas, whichever way you choose to spill the beans will certainly be memorable!

neeest
03-30-2006, 04:09 PM
I just booked our first cruise last week. I'm so excited, and looking forward to surprising our two daughters. I'm planning to have two prize eggs in our Easter Egg hunt this year, with a rule that they have to be opened at the same time. I've been reading this board for about a week and a half now. Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas and helpful information.

iankh
03-30-2006, 09:46 PM
I'll be telling them when they're here for Thanksgiving 2006 about the cruise in October 2007. They know that we'll be going to WDW and staying at at a DVC resort, but they haven't a clue about the cruise.

Are there any models around of the ships? Maybe I could stuff one in the turkey!

JimV
03-31-2006, 02:46 AM
We're leaving in 5 hours. Booked the cruise in September and the kids have no clue :teeth:

Hopefully -- they will not know until, "April Fools! We are going on a cruise!"

-- JimV

kimmcbee
03-31-2006, 08:51 PM
We are doing the same cruise booked for 9mths, and go in Sept. They think we are going to the beach for a week. Just have not told them what beach. Hard keeping that secret!!!!! :cool1: :banana:

ncmouselover
04-02-2006, 03:52 PM
When we went to Disney World last March I told the kids that I was picking them up from school a little early to go to the dentist. As we headed down the interstate they finally noticed that we didn't get off at the dentist. I told them it was too nice to go to the dentist and asked where they wanted to go. We live in North Carolina so my son said Myrtle Beach. I asked if there were any other suggestions and my daughter said Disney World. I said OK let's go! They did not believe me until my mom took out the tickets and showed them. They went crazy! It was hard keeping quiet from October until March but so worth it.