PDA

View Full Version : People who have cruised with kids under 4

FLmomof2
03-29-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm curious if any of your children under 4 got sea sick? We are cruising in Feb 2007 with a 4 year old and 18 month old and I am so scared they will get sick.

I posted a thread awhile back on what to give children for sea sickness but never really asked how many kids got sick.

mruhaak
03-29-2006, 04:21 PM
Our 2.5 yo DS didn't get sick at all. Neither did I (I was 5 mo. pregnant) nor my husband (who is prone to motion sickness.) And none of us took anything.

It was January, but it was only a 3 day bahamas cruise we were on.

minniebeth
03-29-2006, 04:28 PM
DD was 3 when we cruised...was fine the whole time and I really think she didn't even feel the motion of the boat when the rest of us did. My older two, 10 and 8 at the time, did feel queasy or dizzy at times, but never enough to be sick. Before we left, I checked with my pediatrician and they said that they have seen some seasick children under 4 before, but not very likely that they will become so. You might have heard this before, but people say it is due to the development of their inner ear, which affects the feeling of being seasick. I would be prepared just in case, but not worry that they will feel sick. The two things that I highly recommend is to keep a full stomach for them and make sure they get enough sleep. Enjoy your trip!

FLmomof2
03-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks! I am losing sleep over this and I just don't want my kids to be miserable. I know we will have a great time, if no one gets sick.

lbgraves
03-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Neither of the kids have gotten sea sick in 3 cruises & they haven't taken anything for it either. Our first cruise had 20+ foot swells for 2-3 days & they never skipped a beat. :)

roysbrew
03-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Our DS and DD had just turned 3 when we cruised last may ('05) on the wonder. Dr also said they shouldn't get sick because inner ear wasn't fully developed. DS did get sick the last night (it was a little rough) but he also had a temp the next day so I feel he may have had a virus and not seasickness. DD was fine. We are cruising in July and I asked Dr again. He said at 4 yo they should still be fine but to use benadryl and give them starchy foods and peanut butter if they felt bad. Hope this helps.

MousseauMob
03-29-2006, 09:02 PM
DD was almost 3 and DS was 9 when we cruised and neither felt even a twinge of sickness. They were the picture of health and happiness. :)

OurMsBrooks
03-29-2006, 09:12 PM
DS was 2.5 when we cruised, and he didn't have a hint of seasickness. No problems whatsoever, and we didn't use any treatments. DD was 6, and she had no trouble either.

Good luck! Enjoy your trip!

DISJen
03-29-2006, 10:04 PM
I really don't think the kids are that prone to it - its different than riding in a car.

yazee1
03-29-2006, 10:09 PM
My daughter had just turned four, and she was fine.

CTPinkPrincess
03-30-2006, 07:12 AM
DD is 4 and we cruised this past January in "moderate seas" (according to the info on the tv in the stateroom) and she just commented the first night that "the ship's moving". After the first night (we did a 4 night Bahamas cruise) she didn't remark on it at all.

mom x4,grandma x4
03-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Took all 4 grandkids ages 18 months to 11 years of age, no problems at all. The younger ones never even realized we were moving at all. They were too busy having fun and we hit 30 foot swells with 68 MPH crosswinds. The ship was empty that night. we had the club all to ourselves until about 11:30, then on eother couple appeared, because adults were ill, but the kids clubs were full of happy kids. They thought it was funny to try to walk around. It was like walking around in a fun house. I flet bad for these who were ill, but it was great for us to have the ship to ourselves, it felt really strange to have the Charles marshall band all to oursleves. They performed as if they had a full house, it was great,
mom x4,grandma x4

Disney Planner Mama
03-30-2006, 07:22 AM
we sailed in February in moderate seas as well, dd8 and dd3 had no problems whatsoever. The only time I felt at all sick was when we came back home -- apparently you really do have to get "land legs" back!

FLmomof2
03-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Wow! I expected more responses of ill kids. Thats great that you all had such good luck and sounds like great times! Thanks all for getting responding!