PDA

View Full Version : Mousekeeping tip questions

mla973
03-29-2006, 12:12 PM
Just thinking ahead here...

1. When you leave a tip for the mousekeeper, do you leave a little every day or a large amount the first and last night, or some other combination? If you don't have the same person the whole time, how do you know who will get the money?

2. What is an appropriate amount? Does it depend on the cost of the room?

3. Do you ever leave them notes (i.e. "thank you," "can we jsut get extra pool towels today," etc.)?

I think I have not been very good about tipping mousekeeping in the past, but want to make sure I do this trip. Any answers would be helpful. Thank you! :wave2:

allaboard
03-29-2006, 12:23 PM
I recently got this from tikiman when he was responding to a question about tipping concierge CM's. I have copied and pasted the part about housekeeping. This is directly from a manager at the Polynesian. It might be helpful to you in deciding what you are going to do. At our last stay, we tipped mousekeeping after they had done an exceptional job in our room and made the kids beds up special. We did not do it everyday though.

---- from a CM manager ----
Things like towel animals etc in the room are done by
housekeeping and it depends on the housekeeper as to
whether or not they do these things for their guests.
Not all the housekeepers have the time or skill to do
the towel animals. The housekeepers work very hard and
when guests leave them a tip with their name on it,
their management looks the other way as they feel if a
guest appreciated the housekeeper so much as to leave
them something, the housekeeper must deserve it and it
also promotes moral and the housekeepers take more
pride in their job. A win, win situation as some say.
As you stated, it is not done because they gave gifts,
it is done out of the kindness of our hearts and our
wish to make their stay Magical.
We don't do things for guests and expect a tip or gift.
Knowing we made a guest's vacation special makes us
feel good and that is why we are here. There are times
when we wish could do more for our guests because we
know how special their occasion is or they are repeat
guests.

ciera321
03-29-2006, 02:30 PM
We leave $5 every day on the ledge above the sink with a note that says, "Thank you Mousekeeping!!!". You don't always have the same person clean your room, so we just leave it every morning... :)

Terk-1
03-29-2006, 02:55 PM
1. When you leave a tip for the mousekeeper, do you leave a little every day or a large amount the first and last night, or some other combination? If you don't have the same person the whole time, how do you know who will get the money? -- I always leave a separate envelope out each day, since you don't know if it will be the same person each time. I pre-make and pre-fill the envelopes BEFORE I leave. This way it's all set each morning and I'm not worrying about finding singles, etc. I set the envelopes up attention to "Mousekeeping" with a Thank You. This way they know it is for them.

2. What is an appropriate amount? Does it depend on the cost of the room? -- I always leave at least $2 per day when I stay solo. If I go with family, I will leave $1 for each person in the room(s).

3. Do you ever leave them notes (i.e. "thank you," "can we jsut get extra pool towels today," etc.)?-- I always leave a separate envelope out each day, since you don't know if it will be the same person each time. If I have any special requests, i.e. extra towels, shampoos, etc., I usually call housekeeping and let them know or will write it on the envelope.