PDA

View Full Version : hair braiding

llazykllamas
03-29-2006, 03:19 AM
my daughters want to get their hair braided while on the cruise. Is Nassau the only place that we can have this done? Any further info would be appreciated like cost/location/how long it takes to have it done....

thanks

aprilgail2
03-29-2006, 05:05 AM
you can get it done on the ship and its much cleaner!

llazykllamas
03-29-2006, 05:22 AM
Aprilgail - A couple more questions - Can you have it done at the spa? - or where? - can you make an appointment? - cost? - about how long does it take?
I would rather do it on ship - 1. yep probably cleaner, and 2. could take one kid to do it and the other later, and don't have to stand around the whole time.
Penni

aprilgail2
03-29-2006, 05:53 AM
Aprilgail - A couple more questions - Can you have it done at the spa? - or where? - can you make an appointment? - cost? - about how long does it take?
I would rather do it on ship - 1. yep probably cleaner, and 2. could take one kid to do it and the other later, and don't have to stand around the whole time.
Penni

I don't know what they charge since my daughter got the hair wrap there not the braids. You do make appointments and I think it was in the navigator when to make them....they do not do it at the spa, its done poolside...other than that I hope someone that had it done on the ship can answer the rest of the questions!

SamRoc
03-29-2006, 06:19 AM
Just be very careful after you have the hair braiding done. Be sure to put sunscreen in the lines on your daughters head where the skin is exposed. My dd had this done before and we were very careful not to let her get sunburn on her head! also, I would have it done on the ship too. We went to Nassau a few yeards ago and all the locals were trying to touch my dd's hair to braid it, you figure they use the same dirty comb on every tourist that comes through there. We had it done on the ship and it came out great.

Capt_BJ
03-29-2006, 07:33 AM
see http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1053499&highlight=braiding

mdoodle
03-29-2006, 10:29 AM
My DD had it done on the ship last week. The braiding station is on Deck 9 right near the entrance to Quatermasters (the arcade). They opened to take appointments at 5 pm on sailing day which was right during the sailaway party (happening within feet of the appointment desk). I just headed over to the location a few minutes before 5 and there was no one waiting. As soon at the lady came to set up her station with the appointment book, I was there. A few other people got in line behind me, but no big line or anything. I made an appointment for the last day at sea, mid-afternoon.
They do also take walk ups, but did not want to chance it.
They wanted to know immediately what type of braiding style that my daughter wanted so they would know how long to make the appointment (they have a book of pictures) and luckily I already knew what she wanted.

vassello
03-29-2006, 04:48 PM
Hair braiding can get pretty booked up since they work by reservation. I believe the price was $2/braid and you could charge this to your KTTW card. My daughter had this done on both of our DCL Magic cruises. They did a great job and we left the braids in for about 6 weeks once we were home. princess:

Princess Olivia
03-29-2006, 06:31 PM
When I see this question I always need to relay my experience in October at Castaway Cay. I wanted to wait until the last day to have my dd 9 hair done because of formal nights and I do their X-mas picture on board. We did it at C.C. She only wanted the "head band" Obviously they want as much $ as they can get (it is local women who do the braiding). Dd is strong and brave but those braids did her in. She was crying because it hurt so much. The two little girls next to her were also crying (one little girl only did half her head)! The final cost was $60 because the braids were so little. Definitely do it on board and make sure you tell them big braids. Olivia will never do them again because of that experience AND when we took them out a week later I ripped a ton of hair out of her head :sad: . IMHO it was pretty damaging.

vassello
03-29-2006, 09:25 PM
I have to second the last poster. The first time my daughter's hair was braided, she was 9 yrs old and cried. She had gotten the smaller braids just in the crown area and it cost $40. This last time DD11 got the larger braids in the crown area, wasn't as painful and only cost $16. A much better experience all around. And yes, when you take the braids out there will be lots of hair coming out as well.

bjkj
03-30-2006, 07:06 AM
My DD9 had her hair braided on the ship. We walked up to the ladies when they first had openings and had our choice of appointment times.

She loved her braids. She had her whole head done. Took around 1 1/2 hours and it didn't seem to hurt her. She just relaxed on the deck, had ice cream and people watched.

She keep them in for 6 weeks. She wore a bandana on her head when she went to bed and it helped them last longer. As a previous poster said, make sure to use sunscreen on the scalp so she doesn't get burnt. Coopertone has an oil based pump spray (not the continuous spray) that worked really well. Also, be sure not to condition your her hair to keep the braids longer.

When she is ready to take them out, just cut the bands out with a little nail sissors, just hop in the shower, load up on the conditioner and start combing from the buttom up. It takes about 15 minutes for long hair. My DD did have a lot of hair coming out, but it was just from the natural hair loss that she had over the month and a half. When her hair was in braids, it was trapped and couldn't be shed.

She hopes we cruise again so that she can have braids again! :crazy:

llazykllamas
03-31-2006, 01:34 AM
mdoodle, How did you find out where the braiding station was going to be? Did you ask when you got on, or was it posted somewhere? Thanks, Penni

bjkj
03-31-2006, 07:24 AM
I think that it says in the Navigator's where and when if I recall. It actually really easy to find them, they are usually by the Goofy pool. Oh ya, I just remembered, we asked someone and they told us where to go!

LisaPisa
03-31-2006, 04:54 PM
In Grand Cayman there's a little locals-type hair salon in the "mall" across from the port area. They did a spectacular job on all three of my daughters' braids. It was pretty cheap and the braids were tight - lasted a long time.

nzdisneymom
03-31-2006, 04:57 PM
I only have boys but was talking to a mom on the cruise who told me that her pediatrician's office told her that if she was getting her DD's hair braided, do it on the ship and take her own comb. They apparently had several patients come in over a short period of time with head lice and their common denominator was they had all been cruising and gotten braids.

I personally like the fun look of the braids and wish I were younger and felt like I could do it and get away with it for weeks :) Guess I'll stick to my henna tattoos from epcot.

Celestine
04-03-2006, 03:56 AM
Has anyone got any photos of the braids? I'd love to show some to DD, as it would make a pleasant change for her to have braids rather than wraps!