View Full Version : Freaking out - can't find dd's birth certificate!!!

allison k
03-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Ahhh! This is our worst nightmare!!!!!!

We leave tomorrow for Saturday's cruise. We CANNOT find our DD's birth certifacte!! I have no idea where it could have gone, since it would have been with our passports! Will a Social Security card be acceptable?! We are going to check to see if my mom can go to the clerk's office and get a copy and overnight it!

03-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Doesn't DD have a passport? If so, you don't need birth certificate.

No, a social security card will not do. Best of luck in getting your documents together.

03-28-2006, 09:11 PM
A prayer to St. Anthony always works for me.

Here's some pixie dust. :wizard:

03-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Nope a SS card will NOT work.

Do you live in the same state that she was born in? If so you should be able to go to your local office and see about getting one. At least that's how it works up here in Washington.

Good luck.

03-28-2006, 10:01 PM
You leave tomorrow but the cruise isn't until Saturday. If your mom can go to the county office tomorrow and get it Fed Ex'ed to you for Thursday or Friday, you'll make it. Keep looking but all is not lost if you don't find it.

03-28-2006, 11:15 PM
OH....PLEASE FIND IT, PLEASE FIND IT.... It's Tuesday night, so you have 3 DAYs.... do something now.

I just booked a Royal Carribean cruise and knew that my license had expired. My travel agent called RCL and they basically told me, no Social Security card, no birth certificate, nothing but a photo id will get me on that ship and we started talking about refunds....3 weeks away! I was so scared. Went to DMV was told in their records, I was still listed as my maiden name. I had to go to Social Security office to officially change my name to my ex's because I am holding airline tickets for 3 weeks in that name. The first time I went they said they couldn't take my DMV license because it was expired and I had to prove who I was. WHAT? I was so scared, my travel agent started talking about alternatives. The Social Security office told me I may need a declaration from my OB/GYN that I was this name when I had this baby and then this and that, it was a mess. I came back the next day with my divorce papers which were originally stamped, and thank pizzie dust, the clerk changed my name to my ex-husbands name ;) Waited 48 hours to go to the DMV to retake the test and walked out with my precious extension. If I don't have that in 18 days I am up a creek....

All aftermath of 9/11. I was able to change to my ex's name when we got married way back in 1989 with the DMV without showing anything (maybe I brought my silly Vegas LIttle White Chapel marriage certificate). I never ever changed my social security card.

Whatever you do, you have to do it ASAP tomorrow! After 9/11 security is strict....

I notice that you are in Orange County. So am I. My husband's law firm is in Irvine. I can help you by having our attorney service obtain a certified copy ASAP and fed ex it to wherever you are-- before Saturday. But don't let another day go by. email me and I'll get on it ASAP tomorrow am: kerstenlaw@aol.com Or look in your local phonebook for an attorney service. If the clerk's office tells her it will take longer than Saturday, let me know, our attorney service is awesome! They know how to do it and get it to you fast ;)

I'm sure other people will have great suggestions too, but start ASAP tomorrow morning.

Good luck.... :grouphug:

03-29-2006, 01:12 AM
I don't know how it works in Irvine, but here in Phoenix, I go down to the Vital Records office downtown, fill out a short form, sign it in front of the clerk, pay $10 or $15, and they print out the B.C. right then and there, I walk out the door with it in hand. If I am physically there before 4p.m. any orders taken after 4p.m. are mailed and can take more than a week.

I'd definitely check to see if this is how your Vital Records department works.

03-29-2006, 01:29 AM
In CA I believe it takes a notarized form (I had to use one in SF and Santa Clara County anyways to get my kids birth certificates) saying that you are someone authorized to get it. Your mother may not be authorized to pick it up without a notarized letter from you and then a completed form signed by her and notarized. Let me see if I can find the state forms.

03-29-2006, 01:32 AM
On our last cruise, we took our son who we were in the process of adopting. We didn't have his birth certificate, but we had legal documnents and a court order allowing us to take him out of the country. Due to a misunderstanding, we didn't realize we were still going to need the actual birth certificate. We didn't have his original birth certificate because we weren't legally allowed to have it since the adoption wasn't final. So anyhow, we flew all the way to Florida, and realized that we weren't going to be able to get our son on the ship. We were freaked out and in panic mode! I kept trying to call his social worker and kept getting voice mail. With literally 48 hours to spare, and with the help of my mom who was able to make the drive to the social services office, we pleaded with them to allow us to have the birth certificate just to get on the ship, and then we would return it. They caved by the end of the day and let us have it, and my mom fed-exd overnight it to our hotel room. DCL still almost didn't let us on the ship because he wasn't legally ours, even with the court order, but we begged and cried, and they let us board. I can't tell you what a nerve wracking experience that was, but it all worked out. Take PizzieDuster on her offer to help - what an awesome thing to do Pizzie! Good luck with everything!

03-29-2006, 01:33 AM
Ok by CA law a grandparent IS an authorized person to obtain a birth certificate so that should be fine. They will need to bring a notarized sworn statement saying they are someone authorized to receive that information. You can get the forms here:


It says you need the notary if submitting by mail but in Santa Clara I needed it even in person (I mailed for my San Francisco one). So you might want to be prepared with anyways.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! Prayers are being said that you guys are on that boat!!

03-29-2006, 08:46 AM
Well, let me tell you what happened 2 weeks ago when we cruised. DH had sent his passport off a couple of weeks before that to get it renewed. I assumed he had his birth certificate, but we got to the port and when the lady at check-in asked for his birth certificate, he looked right at me and said "I don't have a birth certificate"! (Like this was my fault!) This was our 3rd cruise, so why he thought it would be OK with just his driver's license, I have no idea. The lady at the port had him fill out a form that basically said he promises he is a US citizen, and signed it, and that was it!

Of course, I was sweating whether or not he would be allowed back in the US, but when we went through customs, the agent simply asked him if he was a US citizen, and then let him through.

Of course, had this happened to me, they would have never let us on the ship. Sometimes he just gets by on luck!


03-29-2006, 04:48 PM
OP: Any news? I was thinking of you all day. Hopefully, it's all okay.

03-29-2006, 05:16 PM
I've been thinking about you all day too Allison K...are things working out? We'll be on the same cruise...hope it's all worked out for you. My fingers are crossed.

03-29-2006, 05:20 PM
I hope things are working out. So many people make fun of me but this is why I have duplicate bcs for all of us and passports too. Matching pairs in two seperate places. I so hope Alloison K found it!!

04-01-2006, 07:20 PM
This thread has got me wondering I have my Birth certificat but it is in ratty condition you can still barely feel the seal is that ok? and also My drivers licence and my birth certificate are under different names so do i need to bring marriage certificate?

04-01-2006, 08:45 PM
No you do not need your marriage certificate. They compare the birthdates. :)