PDA

View Full Version : what do you always take, but never use?

disgal1
03-28-2006, 05:21 PM
I am soooo bad about packing things I insist I will need, and then never use.
How about everyone else? The biggest is the video camera. No one wants to shlep it around after the first hour. It and all its stuff, takes 1 small suitcase, yet I drag it on every trip.

I am really going to try this time to leave it home!
Also too much meds and first aid. this time, some bandaids, aloe, advil,benadryl, dramamine, and pepto. that's it! If we get sick, i'll just have to buy it!

and limit my shoes to 4 pair, and bathing suits to 4, not so many jeans , only 1 light sweater

oh forget it, I'll end up taking a ton of stuff like always! :rolleyes:

vassello
03-28-2006, 05:33 PM
The best advice I've heard is pack what you want and then take out 1/2 of it! I totally realized that on my last cruise when I was packing up all the stuff I DIDN'T use at the end of the cruise! :)

Queen2
03-28-2006, 05:33 PM
a suit case full of clothes I never wear :rotfl: :lmao: One suitcase of clothes I do wear. Just might need it :rotfl2:

kdsluvdisney
03-28-2006, 05:50 PM
I LOVE it! :rotfl2: We packed our camcorder too and never made it out of the suitcase :rotfl: Wish we would have packed aloe oops! Also didn't pack 'personal items'! Double Oops -- didn't think I would need them, boy was I wrong there! :blush:

figment52
03-28-2006, 06:34 PM
I used to always look at the stuff I'd pack "just in case" then tell myself "it's not like you are going to China and cant get this if you need it". Well, I have been to China twice and guess what- I could get 90% of the stuff I packed. I don't take near as much stuff anymore.

momrek06
03-28-2006, 06:39 PM
a suit case full of clothes I never wear :rotfl: :lmao:

YES YES YES!!!! And my DH, EVERY SINGLE YEAR insists that I do THIS and I SWEAR no, I use absolutely EVERYTHING I TAKE...YES I DO....

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

videogal1
03-28-2006, 07:14 PM
I am soooo bad about packing things I insist I will need, and then never use.
How about everyone else? The biggest is the video camera. No one wants to shlep it around after the first hour. It and all its stuff, takes 1 small suitcase, yet I drag it on every trip.

:

NO BATHING SUITS! I gotta get real....I hate lying in the sun, feeling the wrinkles just pop out, hearing the silent choruses of ridicule ringing in my head, I can't get in or out of the pool...no ladders any more for me.. and ever since I discovered that my water-loving Labrador hates the ocean so much that he would rather cling limpet-like to my shoulders than swim, no beach activities, either...So why do I take 3 bathing suits? Good, progress...and, you're right, no more Bonine, etc, etc., etc. Now, Cash, what will you give up?...life vest?, food dish? Your food all ends up on the bathroom floor as you eat, anyway...Cut toys down to one tennis ball? If you lose it overboard, you can go join the ping-pong players for a little retrieving exercise....10 pounds of food, not 20...you can always supplement with prime rib and Mickey bars...
WOW! that's at least half a suitcase...I'm on a roll... yay... :cheer2:

justKim
03-28-2006, 08:22 PM
Videogal1, I gotta ask -- does Cash get a two-bag luggage allowance? That only seems right if you need so much kibble.

videogal1
03-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Videogal1, I gotta ask -- does Cash get a two-bag luggage allowance? That only seems right if you need so much kibble.

Welll, so far he's even up on cruise food. Our first experience with American Airlines had me facing down a brace of quarrelsome gate agents who said I had too much luggage and, when I explained that one small bag was food for my Service Dog, said it wasn't allowed because I was over limit. I got mad and handed her the bag and told her to keep it, that I was NOT going to pay an excess luggage fee and that she could just have it for an in-flight snack...That was in the days before food for Service dogs was considered medically necessary baggage... I've since gotten smart and enlisted the aid of fellow cruisers who live in Orlando, who have brought the food aboard with their baggage...
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

justKim
03-28-2006, 09:23 PM
So, you're not the dangerous head of an elite international pet food smuggling ring?

....dragging myself back on topic.....

If you don't pack OTC meds and just buy them when you need them -- is there a 24 hour shop onboard for this? My kids only get sick at night. Apparently there is some rule about this. Not sure I want to hunt down children's tylenol at 3 am.

videogal1
03-28-2006, 09:33 PM
So, you're not the dangerous head of an elite international pet food smuggling ring?

If you don't pack OTC meds and just buy them when you need them -- is there a 24 hour shop onboard for this? My kids only get sick at night. Apparently there is some rule about this. Not sure I want to hunt down children's tylenol at 3 am.

I honestly don't know about the meds...I have seen a small display of stuff you might find in a drugstore in one of the Mickey shops...you know...toothpaste, deoderant, etc. but I had to hit a pharmacia in Cabo to get relief from a sinus infection that had me coughing for weeks after the Panama cruise was over... Ah, that reminds me...pack Tylenol Sinus......oops, I'm going the wrong way...
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

karylrocks
03-28-2006, 10:18 PM
What about the medical facilities on board - wouldn't they have any medications you might need?

tvguy
03-28-2006, 11:35 PM
No, the OTC meds are what you SHOULD pack. The hours for the store are limited, as is the selection of meds.

I'm a light packer, so I use most everything.

From what I've seen I these boards I'd suggest leaving behind
1) the second, third and fourth swimsuit
2) Your own soda, beer, coffee and wine
3) Your own ketchup (yep, someone said they HAD to have Heinz)
you get the picture.

videogal1
03-29-2006, 12:00 AM
What about the medical facilities on board - wouldn't they have any medications you might need?

Yeah, but at about a $100 a pop, I'd rather save up my infirmary visits for something I can't treat myself...The first time I went I had slipped on the metal strip between the bath and the bedroom (massage oil on feet) and whacked the daylights out of an ankle...BIG bruise....worthy of an ace bandage, an ice pack (neither of which I brought), and a half dozen aspirin...(Just happened to have brought along something stronger in my first aid box) The second time I had a problem swallowing and freaked out... Then, the COUGH. I saved $$$ on the cough and did treat that myself and wouldn't have gone to the infirmary...After five cruises without being seasick or having to shave any body parts I think I can leave the Bonine and band aids at home... (Do you know how dangerous it is to shave your pits in high seas?...certain amputation, for sure)... I guess the disposible razors can stay home, too. Better and better...
:cool1:

justmestace
03-29-2006, 12:36 AM

The shops are closed on days in port, and are closed at night. My DD needed "personal items" and the shops were closed. Luckily I went to Guest Services and they had a little brown bag with a few "emergency" items in it.

I take the meds with me. First of all, you're right...the kids only get sick at night and secondly, I don't want to pay their prices. And I don't want to run all over a port town that I'm not familiar with looking for a pharmacy or such.

I *think* the Med Center charges your room, but not certain, so far...knock on wood....we've never had to go there.

karylrocks
03-29-2006, 01:45 AM
Do you know how dangerous it is to shave your pits in high seas?...certain amputation, for sure... :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I'm going to have to take my chances - not going out in a swimsuit after a week of not shaving!

josetann
03-29-2006, 04:00 AM
My wife bought a travel container for meds. It's basically a small tower thing, each compartment screws into each other. She put small labels on. Tylenol, Sudafed, Excedrin, Benadryl, etc. The thing was about as tall as two tylenol bottles, and not as wide. Worked well.

As a guy, I really don't overpack that much. We used our digital camera, and our video camera. Laptop was used just to download from the digital and video camera. It did seem a bit redundant to have to pack a suit AND a tuxedo on the Celebrity cruise, was a bit easier on Carnival (formal night on Celebrity is Tuxedo, semi-formal is suit; Carnival's formal is suit, semi-formal is pants and a nice shirt). I packed a few pairs of jeans (unless they get dirty, you can wear them multiple times), one or two dress pants, enough shirts to last the entire cruise, and one pair of shoes (in addition to what I was wearing), and that's about it. Oh, and a pair of swimming trunks, though Jeannie bought a set on our last ship (some sale they were having).

Speaking of which, you don't even need to pack any T-shirts. Just make sure you can get through until the first port day. Then buy some as souvenirs. Shop around, you can get some great deals. You only need to buy a couple, just enough to make it through until the next port day.

If you're like me, you hate having to worry about laundry as soon as you get home. Plus you hate the idea of having to pack dirty clothes. If you plan on washing clothes on the ship, bring a few scoops of detergent in a baggie (use two ziplock bags at least, it'll try to wiggle its way out). Bring some dryer sheets too. No need to bring a whole box of either, it just takes up too much space, plus you'll feel like you have to pack it back up to head home. Don't even bother bringing liquid detergent, it'll find a way to leak out. Bring a roll of quarters if you want, but if you forget I'm sure they have some on the ship.

I don't know if it's average, too little, or too much, but usually we'll end up carrying one large suitcase, one a tad smaller, another small travel bag (medicine, shampoo, toothbrush, that kinda stuff), a garment bag with dresses, suit, and tuxedo, a camera bag, video camera bag, and the laptop bag. We'll carry on everything but the two large suitcases (may skip the garment bag this time, we carry it on cause the stuff's expensive inside and it just barely fits through the x-ray machine). We use pretty much everything that's packed. This was four a 7-night and an 11-night cruise. We'd pack a lot less if it was a 3 or 4 night cruise.

disgal1
03-29-2006, 06:03 AM
I thought all meds had to be in original containers? If not, I can use I pill pack for the usual stuff, tylenol, benadryl, sudafed, and dramamine.

Does anyone know for sure? That would free up some space....not much but i'll take it!

josetann
03-29-2006, 06:06 AM
Hrm, I know if you have prescription meds you should keep them in the bottle (at least if they're a controlled substance), honestly don't know about OTC stuff.

BethA
03-29-2006, 06:17 AM
I had WAY TOO MANY clothes--just in case, cut back last year, and hope to do so even more this year. Also too many shoes. We have stopped taking the video camera, but I always have med just in case.

I didn't need the over the door shoe hanger, but we had a larger room. I always leave the books I read there--one every day or 2--so that leaves room for extras.

Didn't need duct tape, but did use the extension cord.

The first cruise I brought along a lot of papers I downloaded about the ship and our stops-never looked at them.

UMTerp
03-29-2006, 11:04 AM
One tip I learned on our last cruise is that the crew has a library. I gave all of my books to our room stewardess after I was done with them for the crew library. Opens up a little space for the trip home! Sometimes we take underwear, socks, etc that are almost shot and just throw them away - don't have to bring them back home.

UMTerp

nzdisneymom
03-29-2006, 11:55 AM
We took too many clothes for the boys on our 7-night, mostly in the dress-clothes area. They didn't eat dinner with us three of the nights so they didn't need their dress pants / jeans. And if they had, they could have reworn pants that they wore previously. A few too many clothes for me, too, as I ended up re-wearing a couple of skirts with different tops (I nearly always changed after dinner into more comfortable clothes for the show).

We took disposable cameras for the boys that they never even opened - mostly because I had the digital with me at nearly all times.

I took two bathing suits for me and never wore one. I *didn't* take reading material and that worked out just fine - I poured over the Navigators every night and the rest of the time, I enjoyed just sitting and relaxing. DH read a couple of books on the verandah.

Different color highlighters -- turned out that the kids and DH didn't care about the Navigator and they just used the same color highlighter on the kid version (we just wrote their names on theirs so we knew which was which) and I highlighted the Navigator for me. DH was content to let me tell him what was going on when and he mostly found a chair to relax in or watch the kids at the pool or get a snack :)

There wasn't anything that I can recall now that was a "I wish we'd brought..." item.

msaseifert
03-29-2006, 02:46 PM
One thing I was so glad I brought was a digital clock so we could see what time it was at any given time inthe cabin. We always had wakeup calls from Mickey or room service so we never had to use the alarm.

I was also glad I took the Over the Door thing BUT we really didn't need it for what it was intended for, with the split bathrooms we had plenty of shelf space.

Don't laugh but when we took our clothes out of our suitcase I had packed so much that we didn't have enough room for socks and underwear so instead of making them fit in the drawers, I put them in the Over the door thing - it worked out great, everyone knew where clean underwear was!

I was really overpacked, I should have listened to the folks on these boards and packed what I thought we would need then remove at least 1/3 of it. We had whole outfits that we never touched, we lived in our comfy clothes instead!

One thing I will do again in January when we go on our 2nd cruise is pack a collapsable bag so I have an extra suitcase to come home with. The zipper on one of our bags broke so we had to dispose of that suitcase and we were lucky I had packed an empty duffle bag so we could bring it all back home with us! I also ended up buying a small bag in the store on the ship because we had to have room for souveniers too!

BuzzNutt
03-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Hello, My name is Coleane and I have a problem. I have joined Over Packer's Annonymous :rotfl2: and was dismissed shortly after. I always pack every single kind of cough/cold/flu/etc. medicine there is for our son. I have gotten better plus my husband bought me smaller bags to use so I have to do the put everything out and then actually decidse what I take. It is a great system for us.

TiggerStac
03-29-2006, 05:56 PM
I usually don't overpack for myself...and I make DH take out 1/2 of what he has..he packs way too much. But I am very guilty of overpacking for DS. I tend to bring toys, etc to keep him busy on plane, etc..he never even uses them. But I need them, just in case.

My worst was when we drove to WDW when he was 1.5. I had an expedition at the time and the back was full and I mean full w/stuff. I even had one of his toy bins w/us with some toy choices!! Hey..I had the room and didn't have to drag it on a plane, why not, I had plenty of room. :rotfl2:

ImNarek
03-29-2006, 06:39 PM
I know this thread is about what NOT to bring, but I would definitely recommend bringing two swimsuits if you like the water. My DH and I are avid snorkelers, and I love to hang out at the Quiet Cove pool on sea days. I bring two suits and alternate between them. Each evening I hand wash the one I wore that day, and hang it in the bathroom to dry. They are not always dry by the next morning, and I hate putting on a wet swimsuit -even if its clean.

For shoes - I bring a pair of walking shoes, a pair of sandals that can get wet and a pair of dress shoes for the evenings.

videogal1
03-29-2006, 08:30 PM
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I'm going to have to take my chances - not going out in a swimsuit after a week of not shaving!

Hi, Hon, I'd like you to meet Carol.....lovely in lycra but real short arms....

yazee1
03-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Too many shoes and my big terry cloth bathrobe. I also have second thoughts about bringing our own snorkelling gear. It took up space and was heavy. We only used it twice and in both situations, gear was included in the price anyway. We were just right on everything else.

HappyLawyer
03-30-2006, 07:39 AM
Shorts. it is never hot enough in december for us.

Jules1
03-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Re: snorkel gear - we always at least bring the tube that you put in your mouth. Who knows how they clean the ones that are "provided" for you? :rolleyes2

woody73
04-01-2006, 08:35 AM
<< what do you always take, but never use? >>

Duct tape.