PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had anything stolen?

The_Deyos
03-28-2006, 10:45 AM
I've been looking though the posts, and some people are asking about if it's safe to "leave" things sitting on the beach at Castaway Cay.

I assume that you have to be careful in ports other than Castaway Cay, just as you would travelling to any other city around the world? However, what about onboard the ship or on Castaway Cay?

For example, if my DW goes off to get a beverage while the DDs and I are in the water playing at Castaway Cay, should we be worried about our stuff disappearing?

So, does anyone on the DIS boards have any "bad" experiences on their respective cruises with items being stolen or disappearing?

Thanks!

poconoboatniks
03-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Nope! We don't take much with us to CC. KTTW cards are in water proof holders on lanyards. Cameras are wrapped and left on the chair, but we're never out of eye shot. You still need to be careful with your valuables on CC.

Poconoboatniks

ohiominnie
03-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Not at CC, but actually ON the ship. My neice went with us and she worked for Radio Disney at the time. They had just given all of the Radio Disney CM's these nice heavy red fleeces with the Radio Disney logo on them. It was stolen from the Mickey pool area. :(

Cindi0511
03-28-2006, 12:17 PM
This will be interesting to watch. I have only had one cruise, and didn't have any problems on that one, either on the ship or on CC or even in port. I hope others share!

Tluvs2talk
03-28-2006, 12:35 PM
I have been to Castaway Cay 6 times and have never had anything stolen. I do think you still need to be precautious anywhere you go.

Teri

knyisles
03-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Too many times, things have "disappeared" by the mickey pool.....considering you leave almost everything in your room, and you don't bring much to the pool - just be carefull....We've had lanyards full of pins, hats, and towels all disappear......we checked with CM's and lost & found right up to departure day and nothing was ever returned. I've stopped trying to figure it out. I am sure 99% of the people there are just trying to have a good time - and the 1% ruin it for everyone...we were cruising with 20 people - we bought a new lanyard and then each of the other children traveling with us gave up a pin each to make the child feel better - but it is just rotten......so my advise is not to leave it to chance - do not leave anything "valuable" unattended....sounds ridiculous - but unattended things seem to disappear.....and ruin a good time - especially when the kids continue to cry

Capt_BJ
03-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Sorry to be harsh but... while it would be nice to believe that all DCL employees are above the weaknesses of the flesh, is there any realistic way you could expect the same of all the 'guests'? :confused3

If you think either 2b so, I have this bridge for sale..... pirate:

Leaving anything of value in the open and unattended is what I call opening the window of opportunity. Better to keep that window tightly closed and locked when ever possible.

Disneefun
03-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Some fool took my flip flops from under my chair on CC. We were in the water and all that was at the chairs were our towels, and mine and DH's shoes. His were left alone and mine got taken. They weren't worth anything as they were a couple of years old and had come from WalMart. I only used them for cruises/beach trips and quick trips to the mailbox at home. I puzzled over that one for a long time and all I could figure is that some fool had come to CC barefoot and decided that it got too uncomfortable. That or they lost their shoes in the water or something and needed a replacement pair. Whatever. It was stupid and I'm sure they ended up in the trash once the person got back on the boat. Despite the fact that they weren't valuable, it still made me furious and put a damper on an otherwise fun day. Jerks are everywhere.

HooKooDooKu
03-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Some fool took my flip flops from under my chair on CC. We were in the water and all that was at the chairs were our towels, and mine and DH's shoes. His were left alone and mine got taken.

I'm sure there are plenty of situations like this where people have stollen thing on accident. For example, in Disneefun's case, it is possible that the people in the chair beside them owned a pair of flip flops just like Disneefun's. As they get ready to head back to the ship, DH stopped by to gather all their things before heading back to the ship. See's the flip flops that look just like his wife's and assumes they've accidently gotten under this other chair. So he gather's them up along with the rest of their belongings, and doesn't realize the wife is already WEARING her flip flops until after they get back to their cabin.

minniebeth
03-28-2006, 02:16 PM
disneefun...that would have been me, you see, my son buried my flip flops in the sand and couldn't find them ever again....
NO, JUST KIDDING!!! But really, my son did bury my flip flops in the sand and couldn't find them. Since I had 2 other pairs on board, I just decided to barefoot it for the rest of the day. But the thought did cross my mind! (again, just kidding ;) )
Another funny thing that kept happening to us was the story of the boomerang sippy cup. We bought a bunch of disposable sippy cups with us and everytime we tried to leave it on a tray to dispose of it, a CM would come up to us and give it back to us. If we tried to leave it at dinner,
our table servers would run it back to us. Finally, we did leave it somewhere successfully or so we thought, what did we see on the lost and found table going through customs? Yes! Our sippy cup! :lmao:

Sorry, sorry, that's not on topic...
we kept our stuff we left out to a minimal and kept a sharp eye out...everything safe and sound.

wackywexler
03-28-2006, 03:45 PM
I've just always figured why tempt people? Lock and key is not always necessary but out of sight out of mind. Cover up those valuables and your stuff in general and then no one is tempted. I may be a bit of a Pollyanna but I don't think there are too many thief types lurking on DCL or CC scoping out your stuff and waiting for you to get up so they can snag it. My opinion is that some people happen by things they like with no thoughts in their mind originally of taking it but when the opportunity presents itself, whammo, your item is gone!. Just don't give them the opportunity and the temptation and you will be o.k. IMHO. :)

captaincrash
03-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Well...

... I guess you got me. I'm the one who rolls down our big luggage - but EMPTY so I can toss in all the fun stuff I find unattended.... NOT!

We've had 4 visits to castaway caye and the various ports. Plus we've have a total of 15 cruises to various places and cannot recall ever having had anything lost or stolen of significance. Not, curiously on our last sailing which was a Carnival 8 day voyage I thought we might have had an $8000 solid gold watch taken. Butit turned up in our luggage back home. But while it was "missing" I was silently livid... while trying to tell myself that it would turn up in the luggage. I must be getting older since I had forgotten I had packed it... or maybe one of my kids packed it for me! WHo knows?

ANd for what it's worth I can't recall having seen a thread complaining of theft problems on Disney cruises as being pandemic. But as the other Captain cited above - it is common sense NOT TO TEMPT strangers by leaving valuables in plain site as an easy opportunity for a cheap thrill.

NOw, we have had a mamber of our party quasi-assaulted in a Paris MEtro station by a bunch of kids who swarmed her and rifled through her backpack purse making off with a wallet. That was amazing to experience... as it was simple minded young thugs swarming to steal a few francs. Aside from that... we've seen more folks concerned about crime in the USA. And that goes for international folks who view the US as a very violent culture. Of course, all they usually see is our entertainment in movies and TV which glaorizes crime and violence all too often.

Oh well... cheers... I gotta go change a stinky diaper.

:rolleyes:

DVCconvert
03-28-2006, 07:59 PM
Psssssst....... Captain......

on our last sailing which was a Carnival 8 day voyage I thought we might have had an $8000 solid gold watch taken. Butit turned up in our luggage back home

You're overpaying on your watches! ;)

:rotfl2:

Rena75
03-28-2006, 08:26 PM
I've been looking though the posts, and some people are asking about if it's safe to "leave" things sitting on the beach at Castaway Cay.

I assume that you have to be careful in ports other than Castaway Cay, just as you would travelling to any other city around the world? However, what about onboard the ship or on Castaway Cay?

For example, if my DW goes off to get a beverage while the DDs and I are in the water playing at Castaway Cay, should we be worried about our stuff disappearing?

So, does anyone on the DIS boards have any "bad" experiences on their respective cruises with items being stolen or disappearing?

Thanks!

I remember someone on this board saying they had an iPod stolen from their room!

mattmommy
03-28-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm one of those trusting souls. I figure if somebody needs my jacket, shoes, etc. they must be very sad and desperate. I've never had a problem anywhere (Disney or otherwise).

An acquaintance shared the Walt room with friends on one of the first cruises. They came back to the room and the door was propped open. Their cd's were playing and the maid/steward was cleaning. Somebody stole their cd's. It's a pretty big suite so it could have been a passer-by or the cm. I hate to think of anybody who loves/works for Disney doing that.

When we went on the cruise in 99 my friend and I were passing either the Walt or the Roy room. Now in my naivette I think the suites are for the ultra-rich Bill Gates type people. A CM was going in there. We asked if the guests were in there and maybe we could ask them (pretty please) to have a look-see (to see how the other half lives). The CM said, "come on in". We assume it was empty and she was dusting or something. Now we look around (in awe) and it was beautiful. We took picture of the piano, the pictures of the family, etc. And in one room there were a few Disney bags on the floor. ACK. My friend and I looked at each other and thought, why did this CM let us in? It didn't make me secure. We left right away.

Now my dh and I do the spread. Stuff neatly around the room. Always bags, maybe a pair of shoes--something. This room was spotless and looked unlived in. I felt sooo guilty going in there when it was occupied. Ok, I feel like I've confessed.

captaincrash
03-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Psssssst....... Captain......

You're overpaying on your watches! ;)

:rotfl2:

OK.... I got it on sale. It's not a Cartier or Rolex or anything like that... and frankly I think it's kind of subtle. I only mention it as such to underscore the gravity of my annoyance. It's not like I lost track of a Swatch or Timex... not to say these are any less invaluable as time pieces and all.

At any rate.... DVCconvert... do you have a watch dealer where I can get any bargains that can't be beat? I'm all ears!!! :earboy2:

josetann
03-29-2006, 12:37 AM
OK.... I got it on sale. It's not a Cartier or Rolex or anything like that... and frankly I think it's kind of subtle. I only mention it as such to underscore the gravity of my annoyance. It's not like I lost track of a Swatch or Timex... not to say these are any less invaluable as time pieces and all.

At any rate.... DVCconvert... do you have a watch dealer where I can get any bargains that can't be beat? I'm all ears!!! :earboy2:

I'm all ears too! Normally I'd only spend a couple hundred on a watch, but I'm about to have a son, and I'd like to have something to pass down to him which will remind him of me. Figure you can't go wrong with a watch that's worn every day. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Rolex Submariner, a 16610 or 16610LV (green).

As to the topic at hand...I threw in a cellphone in our luggage at the last minute. And it just happened to be something we weren't carrying on. Needless to say, it mysteriously got lost. When I got back and reported it, someone had indeed used it. It was a prepaid, so no big loss. And the power adapter wasn't with it (forget if I packed it separately or forgot altogether), so there was still some credit left. Had to buy a new phone, but got a replacement sim card with some credit on it. BTW, this wasn't on a Disney cruise, but rather on a Celebrity cruise.

It got me a bit worried though, so I'm thinking I might try to leave the laptop at home this time. I kinda need it, just so I can download all the pictures off of our camera (my wife can fill up a 512MB card in about a day). The cards are a bit expensive (xd, not a more common type like sd or compactflash), so I really need something to offload the pics to.

marv
03-29-2006, 01:03 AM
Well...

NOw, we have had a mamber of our party quasi-assaulted in a Paris MEtro station by a bunch of kids who swarmed her and rifled through her backpack purse making off with a wallet. That was amazing to experience... as it was simple minded young thugs swarming to steal a few francs. Aside from that... we've seen more folks concerned about crime in the USA. And that goes for international folks who view the US as a very violent culture. Of course, all they usually see is our entertainment in movies and TV which glaorizes crime and violence all too often.

Oh well... cheers... I gotta go change a stinky diaper.

:rolleyes:

I actually felt safer in Florida than i do walking around are local city here in Britain...i see the police there and see that there a law not too be messed with i see the police over here and sometimes want too laugh.
Every where has there bad lot and i will say that we travelled too france and we found the kids over there too have no manners and are very unruly...well you only have too see the riots with all the teenagers in paris the other day too see that...just wouldn't happen here in Britain.

Marv :wave:

captaincrash
03-29-2006, 02:56 AM
I'm all ears too! Normally I'd only spend a couple hundred on a watch, but I'm about to have a son, and I'd like to have something to pass down to him which will remind him of me. Figure you can't go wrong with a watch that's worn every day. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Rolex Submariner, a 16610 or 16610LV (green).

As to the topic at hand....

It got me a bit worried though, so I'm thinking I might try to leave the laptop at home this time. I kinda need it, just so I can download all the pictures off of our camera (my wife can fill up a 512MB card in about a day). The cards are a bit expensive (xd, not a more common type like sd or compactflash), so I really need something to offload the pics to.

On all points I'd have the following...

This is a pic of what my watch looks like (Cartier COPIED my watch as my style predates it)..

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/0/4/3/6/9/webimg/3536101_tp.jpg

I'll PM you the perticulars of my shopping angles and what I paid. I'll also PM my ROlex thoughts to keep the content here relevant.

So on the laptop... we bring one as we use it for several things... such as playing DVD movies, games, storing and processing photos as well as internet access. So we will continue to pack it.

And on the alternative front... they sell mass storage devices that are little move then a small hard drive with a flash reader and batter. The price out at between about $100 for a KIT to $500 or so for a high end Epson P-4000 with an 80 gig drive and a VGA screen with 4 times the pixwl elements for the sharpest hand held viewing screen on the planet. I actually have a 1st generation P-1000 with this same screen and a 10Gig drive. It is indded the sharpest hand held screen on the planet.

I would recommend you either buy more cards; or 2nd bring the notebook; or 3rd) buy a portable mass storage device with a decent screen and you have a device for sharing images with friends as well as mass storage without the weight or bulk of a notebook computer.

WorknFires
03-29-2006, 10:23 AM
I've never had anything taken from off the beach at CC (and we take lots of junk!) but I've had clothes (a brand new bathing suit that cost me $70 + shipping) stolen from the dryer.

Cheryl

MN_Cruz'n
04-07-2006, 09:45 AM
**bump**

nzdisneymom
04-07-2006, 10:36 AM
We made some new friends on the ship and while the other wife and I were doing the scavenger hunt on CC, our DHs found a digital camera and wondered what to do with it. They decided that they would first look at the pictures to see if they could see who it belonged to by the family-photos on the memory card -- but they never did spot the people. They took it to Lost and Found on CC but they said to take it to Lost and Found back on the ship. I can't remember where they found it, but it wasn't like it was left with some stuff... it was definitely lost.

We had a case of "mistaken identity" once at MGM Studios when someone "swapped" and took our stroller instead of their own. At first we were upset until we realized what probably happened... so we took theirs to use to push our child around (we had left maps and a cup in the seat of ours - there was nothing in theirs - ours was in a little better shape than theirs, though - and it was before they had such organized stroller parking). Anyway, we spent the rest of the day looking for our stroller so we could swap it back, and we finally found it in the Fantasmic stroller area... we explained the situation to the CM and she let us swap the stroller out then. We knew it was ours because of the rust on it from too many trips to the beach. Now I'm just glad we don't have to deal with strollers :banana:

MN_Cruz'n
04-10-2006, 10:10 AM
bumpadee-bumpadee-bump

tvguy
04-10-2006, 09:25 PM
. Not, curiously on our last sailing which was a Carnival 8 day voyage I thought we might have had an $8000 solid gold watch taken. Butit turned up in our luggage back home. :

I'm sorry, but why would you take something that valuable on a cruise?

becka
04-10-2006, 09:38 PM
My son's Nemo float was stolen on CC during our Feb. cruise. It only cost like $3 but DS was upset. We had left it on the sand by our chair. :( We bought DS another one on our way back to the ship but DS was still upset and could not understand why someone took it and why we could not make whoever took it give it back. I hate that he had to learn that kind of a lesson while on a Disney cruise. :sad2:

woody73
04-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Now, we have had a member of our party quasi-assaulted in a Paris Metro station by a bunch of kids who swarmed her and rifled through her backpack purse making off with a wallet.

Pickpockets are quite common in both France and Italy. We have witnessed this first-hand many times.

The first time was on the Paris metro, when our friend found someone else's hand in his front pants pocket reaching for his wallet.

On another time, a friend's backpack was opened on a Paris metro by a 12-year old.

Another time, we saw a Parisian woman's handbag grabbed by a thug at the metro station near the d'Orsay Museum.

Last November, we were in Paris and met a woman who mysteriously lost the money she withdrew from an ATM (she put it in her pants pocket), then met a well-dressed Frenchman who took some interest in her.

Be careful out there.

Woody

eeyoregon
04-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Can anyone tell me the approximate size of the in-room safes? I want to be safe, rather than sorry, and would like to be able to put IPOD, portable DVD player and such in the safe. Will it all fit, along with my millions in cash?? :rotfl2:

Briege
04-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Just wanted to post this response again that I posted on other similar threads in January and February.

Just a word of caution here...I had my watch stolen while doing the CC Stingray excursion with my daughter in late November while on our 11/27 Wonder Cruise.

I didn't realise that I was still wearing my watch until we were at the benches behind the hut, where the talk was being given. I took my watch off and left it under my towel and shorts on the bench. It was a dress watch with a gold band and some diamonds inset on the bracelet. When I came back after the excursion (we were one of the last to leave the 10am excursion) it was gone. I spoke to several of the CM's there, nobody saw anything. I left my contact information but never heard anything more about my watch. It wasn't the most expensive of watches but my husband had bought it for me a few years earlier and it had sentimental value more than anything. It was my own fault of course for letting my guard down and being stupid enough to wear it to the beach anyway. If I had to do it over again, I would leave all valuables onboard, with someone else in your party, in some waterproof container you can wear, or maybe with the CM's at the stingray Hut - if they will accept responsibility for items.

On another note, I was also somewhat diappointed that when I brought my missing watch to the attention of the CM's at the Stingray Hut and the general area, no-one offered to help me look for it or asked for my name and Stateroom Number. I had to insist that they took my information in case it turned up. That was not the response I expected from Disney CM's and even my 9 1/2 year old DD was surprised that on-one seemed to care that I had lost something. This was the only time though during my cruise that I met CM's that were less than helpful.

Again, just wanted to let my story as a word of caution for everyone out there.

Briege

OurDogCisco
04-10-2006, 11:53 PM
It was totally my fault but my wedding ring was stolen from my stateroom from our last cruise. I didn't leave it out in plain site but I had put in a drawer with underwear, etc.... I don't know why I didn't use the safe. Beyond me on vacation and thought I could trust the room steward or any staff entering the room. We went to Castaway Cay and came back it was gone. I went to loss and found but no luck. The staff was not very helpful either. They never took my name or anything like that. Luckily, the ring was insured and I was able to get the ring remade. My dh even made the diamond bigger to make me feel better. Anyways, I felt very bad about what I did. I never really mentioned it to anyone. I had a whole in my heart for a longtime. I don't think people understand what they do when they take something that doesn't belong to them. This happened almost 2 years ago and I still get teary-eyed about it.

So point learned use the safe. I think when we go on a cruise again I probably won't even take it with me.

wackywexler
04-11-2006, 12:01 AM
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your ring, I would feel the same way. :sad2:

Linda Bell
04-11-2006, 01:59 AM
[QUOTE=captaincrash]On all points I'd have the following...

This is a pic of what my watch looks like (Cartier COPIED my watch as my style predates it)..

You guys, I swear. Where are is Mickey with his little arms telling you what time it is?

Linda :rolleyes1

stlocke
09-12-2007, 08:00 PM
:guilty: Our stuff at Castaway Cay was fine....we stayed in the water right in front of our stuff and kept an eye on it. We brought all our clothes, crocs, etc. and our digital camera with us and it was fine. Nothing got stolen out of our room either, although we kept all the electronics/jewelry in the safe. NOW, on the last day when we picked up our luggage at the terminal, we noticed that one of the pockets of our luggage was zipped open and the conch shell necklaces we bought in Nassau were gone! They weren't expensive (2 for $15), but they were the only souviners we bought for my sister. My husband thinks they might have fallen out while the luggage was being handled, but the pocket was unzipped all the way so I am pretty sure they were stolen. I need to call DCL about it (it was last week), but things have been crazy here. Hopefully it is in the lost and found and wasn't stolen by anyone. :sad1:

eva
09-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I know that this thread is ancient, but it reminds me of an old Seinfeld episode where George has his glasses "stolen." At the end of the episode his glasses are resting on top of his locker at his gym, unbeknownst to him.

tinytink
09-12-2007, 08:27 PM
On our first cruise my DD was 18 months old and had a 18ct gold bangle bracelet from her great-grandmother on and later in the evening I realized her bracelet was missing. She always wore this bracelet. We were stopped at Antigua and we did a very short shopping trip maybe an hour. I don't know if we lost it onboard or at Antigua but I went to GS and they asked for a description but didn't look in their lost and found for it or anything and I never heard back. I am still very bummed about it because my grandmother passed away in 05. I look at the picture of her with it on and it makes me really sad.

Debbie H
09-12-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm sorry, but why would you take something that valuable on a cruise?

Why not? I take my jewelry with me and I don't think anything about it. I lock my jewlery in the safe when I'm not wearing it. If any of it gets lost or stolen, we have insurance. We also have a customs form that has all our jewlery, cameras, and computers on it and everytime we go on a cruise or out of the country, we have a customs agent sign off on it so if we ever get stopped in customs coming back into the states they know we did not buy it in the islands or overseas. They appreciate that we do that because it makes their job easier if we ever get stopped.

SandraLee
09-12-2007, 09:56 PM
We made some new friends on the ship and while the other wife and I were doing the scavenger hunt on CC, our DHs found a digital camera and wondered what to do with it. They decided that they would first look at the pictures to see if they could see who it belonged to by the family-photos on the memory card -- but they never did spot the people. They took it to Lost and Found on CC but they said to take it to Lost and Found back on the ship. I

I have found thing that I WISH people would put their name on! I use those 'free' return address stickers and put them on everything I can think of. I was going through security at the airport and someone before me left their camera in the bin. I looked at it and if there was an address on it, I would have mailed it to the owner. As it was, the TSA people took it back and put it in the lost and found. I'm sure it will NEVER get to the owner.

Those stickers work great on my camera, phone, Nintendo DS, . ..

Disney Fans
09-12-2007, 10:18 PM
We like some others said on this thread, We try not to temp anyone so lock things up, keep camers close by, etc. We have been to DCL 3 times and never anything taken, but like I said we tried to keep an eye on things. And like one person said before that their swimsuit was taken from dryer,, That is why when we try to over pack, so we don't do it. Which I like anyway not having to worry about doing laundry.LOL:laughing:

But I was in a ski town near Denver about 5 years back and had my fav- pair of sun glasses ( ray bans ) on and left them in the bathroom, walked out and went back in just 1 min. later when it came to me that I left them there and they were gone, asked the staff, and they said no one brought them to them either. So, people can take things real quick if they decide to.:sad2:
I think there was only one teen that was in the bathroom at the time I was in there and I couldn't find the teen girl after that, so most likley she took them.:cool2:

nanatink
09-13-2007, 07:09 AM
I have to post this. I was staying in a hotel, sitting on the balcony, facing the pool , and while I was there I saw a theft happen. A crow, believe it or not, flew down and picked up off a table what looked like a french fry from where I was sitting and flew it to the top of a palm tree. I could not see what the crow did with the object he had gotten from the tree. A little while later I was in the lobby and there was this lady, look like the same lady that was in the pool complaining with her husband at the desk about security. What I though was a french fry was actually a watch. So watch out for crows they will take off with just about anything they can fit in their beaks.

NowaSki
09-13-2007, 11:48 AM
I have to post this. I was staying in a hotel, sitting on the balcony, facing the pool , and while I was there I saw a theft happen. A crow, believe it or not, flew down and picked up off a table what looked like a french fry from where I was sitting and flew it to the top of a palm tree. I could not see what the crow did with the object he had gotten from the tree. A little while later I was in the lobby and there was this lady, look like the same lady that was in the pool complaining with her husband at the desk about security. What I though was a french fry was actually a watch. So watch out for crows they will take off with just about anything they can fit in their beaks.

Yeah, watch out for those fury/feathery thieves:

http://www.gofish.com/player.gfp?gfid=30-1031166

:happytv:

jetfan
11-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Just off the Wonder 11/11/07 & my daughter opens her backpack in the rental car & discovers her ipod & Nintendo DS are missing. Her cell phone was not taken. Called lost & found but not holding out much hope these will be found. Once the ship comes back on Thursday & they "search again" they will have Risk Management contact me. I purchased my own travel insurance from travelex. Does anyone know if they cover ipods & DS consoles?

inkkognito
11-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Some fool took my flip flops from under my chair on CC.
I can actually top that...some fool stole ONE of my flip flops at Typhoon Lagoon! Took one and left one! I know for sure it was stolen because when I found the one, I scouted around and asked a lifeguard if he had seen anything (they were on a ledge and I thought it might have fallen into the wave pool). He said, "Yeah, I saw a guy with a little kid pick it up and hand it to the kid. It was so weird that I figured they had to belong to someone in his family." Those were my favorite Lands End flip flops...I mourned my shoe for a long time!

Just remember, the people on a Disney ship are a cross section of the world at large. Some will be honest, some will be dishonest, so cover your bases.

barney4liz
11-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Just off the Wonder 11/11/07 & my daughter opens her backpack in the rental car & discovers her ipod & Nintendo DS are missing. Her cell phone was not taken. Called lost & found but not holding out much hope these will be found. Once the ship comes back on Thursday & they "search again" they will have Risk Management contact me. I purchased my own travel insurance from travelex. Does anyone know if they cover ipods & DS consoles?

Well that stinks! :mad: Sorry that happened to you and your DD. I'm sure mine will want to bring her ipod and ds on our cruise, but maybe I will discourage that. Do you think it happened onboard, or during disembarkation?

nokidz
11-13-2007, 11:14 AM
if you are a thief in life, you will be a thief on a Disney cruise. Unfortunately you must watch all valuables, all the time.

DisneyBride'03
11-13-2007, 11:27 AM
So, I shouldn't bring my Coach purses?:scared1:

There was a thread awhile back abt a laptop being stolen at SSR. We were at YC right after, and I told DH to put it away, etc. His feeling, if someone takes it , they take it. He always leaves it out...and it goes to showing pics of our kids on a slideshow.....it stayed on the desk all week.

However, I think its the "smaller" things that could be more at risk! Better leave my canvas Im a DVC Member bag at home!!

jetfan
11-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Well that stinks! :mad: Sorry that happened to you and your DD. I'm sure mine will want to bring her ipod and ds on our cruise, but maybe I will discourage that. Do you think it happened onboard, or during disembarkation?

We are pretty sure it was disembarkation. We got off the ship about 9am & our bags were probably sitting around for a few hours before we picked them up.

cmacf1
11-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Is it a stupid idea to bring a laptop? My DH doesn't travel anywhere w/o it, even on vacation. He uses it to keep up with work (even on vacation:rolleyes1 ) and we also use it to download photos (we take 100s each day and no card could hold all our photos.) We took it with us on a Princess cruise last year and all was ok, but I worried about it.

rgroves
11-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Is it a stupid idea to bring a laptop? My DH doesn't travel anywhere w/o it, even on vacation. He uses it to keep up with work (even on vacation:rolleyes1 ) and we also use it to download photos (we take 100s each day and no card could hold all our photos.) We took it with us on a Princess cruise last year and all was ok, but I worried about it.

Get a Cable lock for your laptop and secure it to your desk in the stateroom.

Also, install a program that will encrypt the entire harddrive. This way if someone steals it they cannot access your personal data at all. The laptop will be useless to them unless they want to format the drive and install everything from the operating system, to drivers, to any programs they want to use... and I doubt any thief will have copies of Windows, applications, and drivers with them if they are planning on stealing a laptop. Odds are if it does get stolen, it'll show back up real quick once they realize they can't even get past the drive encryption.

Another option is to install Lo-Jack for laptops. Once installed and setup, if your machine is stolen and you report it, once the Lo-jack program hits hte internet and it "phones home" to Lo-Jack, they'll know exactly where it is and you can begin the hunt.

Plus if you report it stolen on the ship, I'm sure security on the ship can assist you in recovering it. the person is bound to try and use it on the wireless on the ship and bingo...caught. If they don't use the wireless, then I'm sure security can look over video tapes and conduct searches for it.

scm
11-13-2007, 12:39 PM
On a much less serious, but still disappointing, issue I have noted the warning on the door magnet thread to personalize every decoration posted to try to keep it from 'disappearing'.

rgroves
11-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Oh yea..... ALL of my door magnet have a very very very small "stateroom # _ _ _ _" on the imbedded intot the graphics. Like a shoe, or hand, or something like that.

I'm even thinking of a smal sticker on the backs of the magnets with that room # as well.

inkkognito
11-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Good idea on the stateroom magnet. Even way down at the end of a boofoo hallway in 5650, I had my Stitch magnet stolen. Grrrrrrrr!

DisneyBride'03
11-13-2007, 01:21 PM
How do you know that Stich just didnt jump off the door? lol

j/k ..sorry...all the Cm's at WDW blame everything on Stitch it seems...esp with computer problems!! lol

scrapperjill
11-13-2007, 01:22 PM
We've taken our laptop and multiple expensive cameras with us each cruise and have NEVER had any issues leaving anything in the stateroom. We asked one time (I think out first cruise)....and the only people who will/should have acess to your room is the people staying in the room and your room steward. I'm sure in an emergency manintaince could get in as well.... But for the most part you shouldn't expect anyone else in your room. Seeing that you'll have the same room host all week long and how easy it would be to point the finger at him/her if anything was missing....really makes them want to make sure everything is left where it belongs.

Like I said...we've personaly never had anything missing from our room...but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Myself...I do feel very safe leaving thing set out in there.

nokidz
11-13-2007, 01:32 PM
we have brought numerous exspensive camera's and a laptop with out any problems in the past, but you still have to be wary and cautious.

scrapperjill
11-13-2007, 01:35 PM
We are pretty sure it was disembarkation. We got off the ship about 9am & our bags were probably sitting around for a few hours before we picked them up.

That does stink....I'm sure your DD was very disapointed and upset to find those items missing.

Noting is said that you have to send all that stuff down with your bags during disembarkation. We made sure all of our items like ipods, cameras, laptops, DS and cell phones stayed with us during disembarkation. Actually at any time our other bags would be left out in public spaces....like when you leave your bags out in the hall the night before disembarkation or how you find them waiting in the hall that first day...not to meniton the time they sit down in the luggage pick up area.

Hopefully your trip insurance will cover the losses.

jetfan
11-13-2007, 01:46 PM
That does stink....I'm sure your DD was very disapointed and upset to find those items missing.

Noting is said that you have to send all that stuff down with your bags during disembarkation. We made sure all of our items like ipods, cameras, laptops, DS and cell phones stayed with us during disembarkation. Actually at any time our other bags would be left out in public spaces....like when you leave your bags out in the hall the night before disembarkation or how you find them waiting in the hall that first day...not to meniton the time they sit down in the luggage pick up area.

Hopefully your trip insurance will cover the losses.

Our cabin was right outside the door where they bring the luggage. I had them take 5 bags. I brought them out one at a time & they were picked up before I could even drop the next bag. The items were not taken while the bags were in front of my cabin door.

christinou
11-13-2007, 02:17 PM
We have never had anything of value taken from our room, and we always travel with a laptop and cameras, we also carry all of those in our carry on bags. My DD has her flip flop taken on the first day of the cruise by the pool, I was not happy about that.

dmi188
11-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Only one thing ever came up missing. A high quality, large chocolate bar disappeared from our cabin. I thought DH had eaten it. He knew nothing about it. No big deal, but still...

gossipgirl
11-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Only one thing ever came up missing. A high quality, large chocolate bar disappeared from our cabin. I thought DH had eaten it. He knew nothing about it. No big deal, but still...
They should put cameras up in certain places on the ship.

AmberDaClown
11-13-2007, 08:28 PM
I heard about this on the radio today:

http://www.yelpie.com/

tinytink
11-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Our the last member cruise I had just dragged two floaties from the bike rental all the way back over to our spot and my DS used it for 5 minutes then left it on the shore and less than 2 minutes later someone made off with it. I asked around and nobody fessed up to taking it. Sad, very very sad.

tvguy
11-13-2007, 08:55 PM

Not stupid, but not smart in my opinion, especially now that memory sticks are so cheap. And while losing a $15 memory stick and a thousand photos on it would be a disappointment, it's far less tragic than losing a $2500 laptop and ALL your pictures.

BelievesinMagic
11-13-2007, 10:55 PM
When we cruised 9/06 we thought our snorkel equipment we brought from home would be safe while we grabbed something to eat on CC when we got back DH's snorkel and mask were gone! We waited around to see if anyone would return it thinking it was picked up by mistake. We have bought a new set since then but if someone can walk off with snorkel equipment, they'll walk off with anything. We learned our lesson and won't do that ever again.
Our name and address were written on the strap with perma marker. It was our fault and we didn't let it ruin our wonderful magical time. My advice, get a mesh bag and take your stuff with you.

calmom
11-14-2007, 12:01 AM
My sister's IPOD was stolen as well during disbarking. We are sure it was a CM or security at the port. She did pack it, and of course regretted it. She thought it would be safe since it was in employees' hands. It reminds me of when my DH worked in security at Nordstrom - the reason they don't have any security tags on clothes is something like 80% of theft is internal theft - employees stealing clothes. So they have the cameras to watch the employees closely. She did get her IPOD covered under insurance. In the future, I'm sure she'd keep valuables with her. Also, both my DH and I bring our laptops all the time with us everywhere and never had it stolen. I think the things employees can put in their pockets are most likely to be taken. Just my opinion.
Good idea on the stateroom magnet. Even way down at the end of a boofoo hallway in 5650, I had my Stitch magnet stolen. Grrrrrrrr!
My other sister got her magnet stolen, and it had tons of personal information on it (last name, cabin number). Sometimes I think it might be teenagers having what they call "fun." That is why I also make two magnets of each, in case one gets stolen!

gossipgirl
11-14-2007, 06:08 AM
My sister's IPOD was stolen as well during disbarking. We are sure it was a CM or security at the port. She did pack it, and of course regretted it. She thought it would be safe since it was in employees' hands. It reminds me of when my DH worked in security at Nordstrom - the reason they don't have any security tags on clothes is something like 80% of theft is internal theft - employees stealing clothes. So they have the cameras to watch the employees closely. She did get her IPOD covered under insurance. In the future, I'm sure she'd keep valuables with her. Also, both my DH and I bring our laptops all the time with us everywhere and never had it stolen. I think the things employees can put in their pockets are most likely to be taken. Just my opinion.

My other sister got her magnet stolen, and it had tons of personal information on it (last name, cabin number). Sometimes I think it might be teenagers having what they call "fun." That is why I also make two magnets of each, in case one gets stolen!
people can be so cruel.

Meg'n'walt
11-14-2007, 08:14 AM
Last cruise on the Magic, my sons crocs were stolen at the pool...they weren't new at all, but he was so dissapointed!!
We never take a lot of stuff to the pool area, just a strict minimum, but even that got stolen ! :sad2:

Luckily they still had some Mickey crocs in the shops on board, so I could buy him new ones..:yay:

DreamCruiser100
11-14-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm happy and Thankful to report that DH left his very $$$ sunglasses lying on a table during our embarkment photo onboard the Magic 10/27. He didn't realize it till be were eating at topsiders. He went back down to lost and found and the area of embarkment but NO LUCK... The sunglasses were returned by another cruiser who found them a few hours later. Disney Magic RESTORED!!

I am sorry for those who wern't as fortunate.

tvguy
11-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Remember, the only time your luggage has to be unlocked is when you check it on the plane.
We always lock our bags when we put them out in the hall the night before, and unlock them before checking them with the airline (or if customs/immigration wants to inspect them).

carole88
11-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Remember, the only time your luggage has to be unlocked is when you check it on the plane.
We always lock our bags when we put them out in the hall the night before, and unlock them before checking them with the airline (or if customs/immigration wants to inspect them).

Great advice. We always lock our luggage and use wire ties for the airlines.
We never had anything stolen but DD did leave a pair of sandels on CC. We were lucky that they were turned in to lost and found. Sorry to those who had things stolen.

VLee
11-14-2007, 08:41 PM
I lock all my checked luggage with the airlines (domestic flights). I use the approved TSA locks so if they need to check, they do not have to cut them off.

donmil723
11-15-2007, 09:40 PM
On our last cruise in May 2006 we had our Mickey luggage straps taken off 3 suitcases. It happened after we set them outside our cabin the night before disembarkation and when we picked them up in the terminal. Didn't even notice it until we were putting them in the car. Called DCL from the airport but they didn't find them.

Also, DD's college aged friend left her swimsuit, skirt and top hanging on the bathroom door in their cabin. She called the day after we got off but the stateroom attendant hadn't turned them in.

DCL did send me some luggage tags and our trip insurance paid some on the clothes.

I'm not too thrilled anymore about setting out our suitcases the last night.

TotallyAngelic
11-16-2007, 03:42 AM
I hate to say it but the only place I have ever had things stolen is Disneyland Paris - and both times it was pickpockets. The first time I had my purse stolen from my pocket (my own fault probably - should have put it away in my bag) in the crowded pre-show for Honey I Shrunk the Kids when everyone was jostling and pushing to get into the show. The second incident was last summer when my DS had his camera pinched from his pocket - it was an old camera so he wasn't too bothered about that, but he was gutted to lose his memory card with all of his photos from a 4 day trip.:sad1:

Regina
11-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Our the last member cruise I had just dragged two floaties from the bike rental all the way back over to our spot and my DS used it for 5 minutes then left it on the shore and less than 2 minutes later someone made off with it. I asked around and nobody fessed up to taking it. Sad, very very sad.

Unfortunately, this probably happens fairly often. I've had to stop others from 'borrowing' ours. :sad2: If it does disappear, they'll give you replacements if you show them your rental receipt. :thumbsup2

safetymom
11-16-2007, 06:18 PM
For digital cameras you should make the first photo a shot of your contact information. I have a index card that I have my information on. That is the first show on all my memory cards.

inkkognito
11-16-2007, 07:07 PM
In order to avoid this, we always buy the cheap, clear neon colored floating rafts and bring them with us. If someone tried to steal them, we'd know it in a minute!

Once at a water park in Indiana, I had the weirdest inner tube experience. I had rented an inner tube and was bobbing in the wave pool, holding it in one hand. A kid swam up, grabbed it, and started yelling, "Let go of my tube! You stole my tube!" I just glared at him as though he was nuts and told him to get lost. I wonder if he ever manages to get a tube from some sucker with that routine?

gossipgirl
11-16-2007, 07:44 PM
the cruise should get cameras.

tinytink
11-16-2007, 09:44 PM
In order to avoid this, we always buy the cheap, clear neon colored floating rafts and bring them with us. If someone tried to steal them, we'd know it in a minute!

Once at a water park in Indiana, I had the weirdest inner tube experience. I had rented an inner tube and was bobbing in the wave pool, holding it in one hand. A kid swam up, grabbed it, and started yelling, "Let go of my tube! You stole my tube!" I just glared at him as though he was nuts and told him to get lost. I wonder if he ever manages to get a tube from some sucker with that routine?
that is too funny, I would have had to find that kids parents and give them an earful. I had my receipt but it was the fact I had to lug them from the bike rental place (because I was going to check out where bike rental was but decided to get the floats and report back to the fam) and we were sitting in front of the pavillions near Cookies. I can still see people giving me funny looks a petite 5'2 girl lugging a round tube and a raft down the walk way.

jetfan
01-17-2008, 11:09 AM

Just an update: My travel insurance company paid me for the ipod & DS. Thankfully my wife saved the original receipts as they were required. I did not have original receipts for the DS games & ipod case so that part of my claim was denied.

Billinaz
01-17-2008, 09:11 PM

Thankfully, the new luggage has the sentry locks that can be opened by TSA so you can lock your bags again.

LisaBi
01-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I lost my watch on CC - it was in the pocket of my beach bag, and I think I missed the pocket when I went to slip it back in when I checked the time. This was before lunch. We packed up all our stuff and took it with us to Cookies, then up to Marges Barges (only to find out our excursion had been canceled). So back to the beach we went - and set up camp in about the same spot. About 5 minutes later we heard a lady a few chairs over asking "did anyone loose a watch?" this was about 2 hours later - it had been in the sand the whole time.

GotDisney?
01-18-2008, 07:28 PM
For digital cameras you should make the first photo a shot of your contact information. I have a index card that I have my information on. That is the first show on all my memory cards.

Another great idea we're going to put to use. Thanks! :thumbsup2

MBELSANTI
01-18-2008, 08:01 PM
My then 9 year old son left his Batman hat on our chair while we went to eat lunch on Castaway Cay and it was gone when we got back. It was a really nice one that he had just recd as a gift right before we left. He just couldn't believe it and was very very upset. He still talks about it to this day. :sad2:

ArmandXG
01-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Sometimes it's your own family member who's the "thief". I have never had anything taken at Disney or on the cruise, but my sister seems to be the "victim" on just about every trip she takes.
On our first cruise (Carnival) she had her money taken from her suitcase. Why she packed it, I'll never know. I now doubt that it was ever taken. Of course, I had to cover all the extra expenses, like tipping, because she lost her money.
On her last trip to WDW she calls me at my room, frantic about leaving her safe open with all her money in it. I had to get the hotel manager to let me in her room to close the safe and then wait for her to call me back so I could tell her everything was o.k. We then agree to meet at the carosel in one hour. When we get there, she is nowhere to be found. We continue with our plans, figuring we will meet up with her later... never did.
We finally get back to the hotel room where we find her crying because "someone" lifted her wallet from her backpack and took the $300.00 she had on her. Her story fell apart when she said she had us paged at the park but we didn't answer. THERE IS NO PAGING SYSTEM AT THE PARKS. I confronted her with the facts that she is always the victim of theft on all her trips. She still sticks to her story but no one believes her. If in fact she has ever had anything taken, I still blame her!
On a brighter note, while sitting on a bench in EPCOT, my husband noticed a small bag hanging off the back. He asked a few people around us if they lost a bag and no one claimed it. He took it to a kiosk and the CM told him to take it to lost and found. Just as he returned, we noticed a woman and a man looking around. My husband asked if they were looking for a small bag and the woman identified it. My husband told her where he had just taken it so she just hugs him, thanks him profusely, grabs her husband and goes running off. As we were on our way out, we saw the couple with their bag. The look on her face made me feel happy. I just hope that someone would do the same for me if I ever left something behind.

allaboutthemouse
01-18-2008, 08:14 PM
we think hubby had his disney cruise watch taken out of our luggage when it was sitting in the hall....we had one of those duffle bag like suitcases at the time that has a bunch of different pockets. he said he's pretty sure he packed it and did not leave it in the room...i always check a bazillion times to make sure we got everything out of the room and it was not there...called lost and found when we got home and they didn't have it....we'll make sure luggage is locked when in the hall when we go next month...

MCourtney
01-18-2008, 08:22 PM
On our last cruise in May 2006 we had our Mickey luggage straps taken off 3 suitcases. It happened after we set them outside our cabin the night before disembarkation and when we picked them up in the terminal. Didn't even notice it until we were putting them in the car. Called DCL from the airport but they didn't find them.

Also, DD's college aged friend left her swimsuit, skirt and top hanging on the bathroom door in their cabin. She called the day after we got off but the stateroom attendant hadn't turned them in.

DCL did send me some luggage tags and our trip insurance paid some on the clothes.

I'm not too thrilled anymore about setting out our suitcases the last night.

The only thing we had missing were our custom luggage tags on the disembarkation night - interesting that you bring this up. My mom had given us a gift of very nice solid plastic tags, red and white, with our last name "courtney" etched in them. On the luggage when we put it out, not when we got it at the port. These tags have made it to several countries and back for a few years and don't just fall off. I think someone knew a "courtney" and snagged them to be cute....but I miss them!! They were how I i.d.'d our luggage!