PDA

View Full Version : Anyone purchased/used the Disney travel Insurance?

MommaluvsDis
03-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Can you tell me what it covers? It's only $115 for the 2 of us but I'd like to know what all it covers.

Thanks,
Denise

HooKooDooKu
03-28-2006, 03:26 PM
I believe the insurance is backed by AccessAmerica, so you'd have to get with them for exact terms and conditions, but in a nut shell...

Covers medical cost (such as seeing a ship's doctor or emergency medical evacuations). Last I knew, MOST U.S. health insurance becomes invalidated as soon as you leave the contry.

Covers Trip cancelation. If you have to cancel your trip for medical reasons (as determined by a physician) any you're past the 100% refund point, what ever DCL keeps to penalize you for cancelling last minute, the insurance reimburses you.

Unexpected expenses and lost luggage. Pays you (up to a certain amount) for lost luggage and unexpected expenses caused by travel delays. As an example, people who had to rent a hotel room for a few nights because a 7-day cruise was postponed and turned into a 5-day cruise could get the cost of the hotel rooms reimbursed for those two nights.

kcashner
03-28-2006, 04:39 PM
For me, the biggest thing is that it would cover a medical evacuation. Evacuation by a helicopter can cost $25K or more depending on where the ship is, etc. and isn't covered by some US health insurance plans.

I've sailed with it and without it, but once I found out that my medical insurance won't cover an evacuation....it became well worth the trip insurance.

There are lots of plans out there, many cheaper than Disney. It's very hard to compare them as they all seem to have different coverages. Some pay a $ amount for a cancelled day of trip, others pay exact expenses...there are different limits on health coverage, etc. Most TAs sell a plan also.

Key point. If you buy thru DCL, it covers ONLY the part of the trip that you booked thru them. For instance, if you booked the cruise directly thru DCL but did air on your own, your DCL insurance won't cover any air delays or problems. If you buy it privately, it will cover your whole trip (usually for about the same amount.)

pppiglet
03-28-2006, 05:47 PM
So if I purchased mine for DCL, but am staying at WDW afterwards for 3 days and doing my own air, I should cancel my insurance with DCL and maybe get it elsewhere?
I guess I need to go and check out ***************** again!

NancyIL
03-28-2006, 05:55 PM
So if I purchased mine for DCL, but am staying at WDW afterwards for 3 days and doing my own air, I should cancel my insurance with DCL and maybe get it elsewhere?
I guess I need to go and check out ***************** again!

Well....see if you CAN cancel the insurance without losing your money.

pppiglet
03-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Well....see if you CAN cancel the insurance without losing your money.

You're right.....I lose it since it's been over 10 days since I purchased it. Ok....looks like I just need to purchase some extra insurance to cover my flights! Thanks for your help. Live and learn! :rotfl:

mattmommy
03-28-2006, 10:15 PM
We didn't buy the insurance for our first trip when it was just dh and I. 2nd trip was with our ds (6months) and we had insurance. It picked up whatever our personal insurance didn't cover for my broken toe. We bought insurance for our trip in July because we're all a bit clutzy and it's worth piece of mind. If it was $1,000 it wouldn't be worth it.

Funfoody
03-29-2006, 09:03 AM
My dd got strep a week before we left for our 4day DW/3 night cruise. We made it- she was still on her last two days of antibiotics on the cruise, but it wasn't a serious problem.

I'd say our trip insurance was worth every penny, for the peace of mind, while we were saying "Is the fever going down fast enough? Will she be ready?Will she be able to fly on schedule?"

mitsguy2001
03-29-2006, 10:11 AM
I purchased the Disney trip insurance for my upcoming cruise. Hopefully I won't have to use it!!

Unfortunately, I did not realize until reading this that it won't cover my flight or hotel stay. If I am unable to get to the port because of a flight cancellation or delay, will the insurance at least cover the cost of the cruise?

A few other things the insurance appears to cover that weren't mentioned: it covers cancellation if you have a death in your family, if you need to care for a sick relative, if you get into a car accident en route to the port, if you get called for jury duty, or if you are supoenaed or required to appear in court. Unfortunately, it does not cover if you have to cancel for a work related reason.

I do have a fear of being forced to cancel for a work related reason, but there is not much I can do about that. I also fear having to cancel due to a death in the family or due to being called to federal jury duty (which does not allow deferments for any reason), but at least the insurance will cover those, even though it would be very disapointing. Luckily, since my cruise is soon, it seems unlikely that I'll be called for federal jury duty that week, or else I would have heard from them by then.

HooKooDooKu
03-29-2006, 11:13 AM
You're right.....I lose it since it's been over 10 days since I purchased it. Ok....looks like I just need to purchase some extra insurance to cover my flights! Thanks for your help. Live and learn! :rotfl:

Why would you need to purchase extra insurance for flights?

As I understand it, the insurance sold through Disney will pay for delays encountered travelling to the ship. It just won't cover the cost of non-refundable airline tickets if you have to cancel your trip for covered reasons.

Whiskers
03-29-2006, 12:09 PM

I've purchased the insurance for the cruise I booked for next year (actually I didn't really request the insurance but it shows up as purchased on my cruise reservation file on the DCL website - which is OK). But if I cancel the cruise before the final payment date (spring 07) will I get 100% of my insurance back too?