PDA

View Full Version : Looking in to taking a DCL . Very NEW to all of it. Please help with info

elmonshea
03-27-2006, 10:41 AM
My whole family was planning a trip to WDW and now half of them are talking about taking a DCL instead..
Can you all give me the heads up info that I will need to get started..
We want to go right after Christmas 2006.
It will be 9 adults and 4 big kids and 4 young kids..

I am reading as much as I can on here but ANY info will be great.!!
What is the best rooms (cat) to stay in? Half of the family is on a bugdet and my family is ready to "enjoy" the cruise and need a family room because for my room it will be me, dh, son age 8, daughter age 3 and daughter age 1.

TIA

ps.. Are there any discounts anywhere or for APassholders?

din
03-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi; I will start by providing some of decisions that we made while deciding. I am sure others will chime in.

Firstly a warning, cruises should have a warning label that states that cruising can be very addictive. So you have been warned!!! :teeth:

There are times when the cruise are the most in demand and therfore higher prices. Easter, Christmas to New year. So the dates you mentioned may fall into these times.

Book early. The are two major reasons :
1. During these times the ship get more families (like yours). Once the limit is reached for a particular age group for the kids, it will stop accepting that age group regardless if there are still staterooms on the ship
2. As the ship gets filled, the prices go up. We booked all out cruise 18 months in advance.

As for the room, you maybe better of getting a connecting room than a family room. It may come out a little cheaper and you get more rooms, but most importantly you get extra bathrooms.

Here is how we decided what room to get the first time:
1. Do we need varandas? If determined that the min we need is a window
2. Where on the ship do we want to be located? Seasickness etc...
3. Budget!!

I am sure you will have more questions, feel free to ask on these boards, but also check out some of the member sites to get more detail information about the cruise and the activities on board.

Have fun planning.

din
03-27-2006, 11:20 AM
I forgot... there are not discounts for passholder.. :sad1:

elmonshea
03-27-2006, 12:03 PM
thank you for the info.
It is still alot of info to asorb and pass on to the rest of the family.
I have looked at travelocity , orbitz, etc. Has anyone booked through them And if you do will you still get the 50.oodisney visa cruise line shipboard credit offer ?

Thanks again!!
:sunny:

djs113
03-27-2006, 12:13 PM
first check with DCL and see if there is availability for that time frame

then book directly thru Disney

then transfer to an agent to save some money

WDWLVR
03-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Welcome to the DCL forums.

A great place to start is the DCL FAQ. You can get to it by the sticky at the top of the page or by clicking the link in my signature. That should help answer some of your questions.

Then any questions you have that can't be found my doing a search of the forums post on the main board and I'm sure somone will be able to help.

Finally once you have a cruise booked head on over to the cruise meets forums and find the thread for your cruise. Even though you are cruising with a fairly good size group it is always fun to meet other DISers who are sailing the same time as you.

BCV02
03-27-2006, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=din]Hi;
Firstly a warning, cruises should have a warning label that states that cruising can be very addictive. So you have been warned!!! :teeth:

Ain't that the truth! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Ub_Iwerks
03-27-2006, 04:57 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you are looking at going right after Christmas 2006 (between Christmas and New Years), be prepared to pay top dollar and not have much choice as far as rooms go. A cat. 5 for a family of 4 is costing $6000 and that's for the 4 day cruise Dec. 26 to Dec. 30. It is possible that you could book two inside rooms for considerably less. The family suites that sleep 5 are showing as sold out (though there may be cancellations). There is a 7 day cruise that leaves Dec. 30, but I don't know if the big kids in your group can miss school. Plus the cat. 5 for a family of 4 is over $9,000. The Family Suites that sleep 5 are $10,600.

Now if you check out the rates for Christmas 2007, it's $1500 to $2000 less. Better yet, give the cruise as a gift and go in the summer or Spring Break. Christmas week is absolutely the most expensive time to go.

erikthewise
03-27-2006, 06:50 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you are looking at going right after Christmas 2006 (between Christmas and New Years), be prepared to pay top dollar and not have much choice as far as rooms go. A cat. 5 for a family of 4 is costing $6000 and that's for the 4 day cruise Dec. 26 to Dec. 30. It is possible that you could book two inside rooms for considerably less. The family suites that sleep 5 are showing as sold out (though there may be cancellations). There is a 7 day cruise that leaves Dec. 30, but I don't know if the big kids in your group can miss school. Plus the cat. 5 for a family of 4 is over $9,000. The Family Suites that sleep 5 are $10,600.

Now if you check out the rates for Christmas 2007, it's $1500 to $2000 less. Better yet, give the cruise as a gift and go in the summer or Spring Break. Christmas week is absolutely the most expensive time to go.

For comparison we are going on the Dec 3 2006 four-day cruise, and are paying about $2600 for cat 6 for a family of four, booked 18 months in advance. Category 5 would have cost another $100. If we booked today it would cost $500 more.