PDA

View Full Version : Yes! We are going to do formal night right.

DVC Jen
03-26-2006, 08:50 PM
I am so excited. I had to come here and share this will all of you.

I was really kinda worried about formal night. My oldest DD is the only one who really had something totally formal to wear on the cruise. She has two formals she has worn to high school dances.

My DH was going to wear his suit.. and I knew I could probably get something within 100.00 or so for my youngest DD. I was really sweating it thinking about getting something decent for myself that would fit right ( I am not a tiny lil thing.. Pooh and I have a lot in common ;) ), look good, not make me look way too matronly and I would be proud to wear... AND this is the big one.. wouldn't cost me the gross national product of some thrid world countries.

Then today when I was on the way to Wal-Mart I noticed a sign.. like a garage sale type sign on the corner of the street advertising a "Formal dress rumage sale". It was being held at the elementary both of our DDs went to. AND to make it even better it said Sunday was 50% off day.

I thought what the heck.. I have nothing to lose.. and at the very least I may find something for our youngest DD.

We head over there.. walk in and immediately this beautiful light blue gown with tons of sequins and beading catches my eye. I walk over to it to see if it would fit DD and it was too big.. then I look again.. check out the size and :thumbsup2 it was MY size.

I tried it on and it fit like it was made for me.. with the exception of being a bit too long (but being 4ft 11 inches everything is to long for me). They lady running the place said she had everyone price the gowns at half what they originally cost. Well it was priced at 170.00. I got it for HALF that.. 85.00 for a gown that was originally 340.00. :cheer2:

I also found a perfect gown for our youngest DD that was marked down to 50.00 and we got it for 25.00.

I am sooo thrilled. This gown I got for myself it the prettiest dress I have ever owned.. prettier than my wedding dress.

Now.. we just have to rent a tux for DH. ;)

CACruisin'
03-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Congrats! It always feels good to make a great "find" like that!

DH is gonna have to wear a tux now too! Have a great cruise!

disneynut57
03-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Got mine from Cruiseline Formalwear the one Disney recomends. Anyway, it was delivered to my stateroom and was also picked up the night before the cruise ended. It was a lot easier and cheaper than renting locally and having to pack it.

webray
03-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Keep in mind also...JCPenney's has tuxes for men, along with shirt/cumberbund set and shoes for a very reasonable price. If you plan on cruising more than once, you may just want to have hubby own his own tux.

Kimika
03-28-2006, 12:09 PM
I'd also suggest doing eBay searches for used rental tuxes - or at least the jackets. On our Sept cruise, we were celebrating my parentís 50th anniversary. I was able to outfit my father, brother and son in gently used, but very nice tuxes for under $100 (TOTAL) by buying used rental tuxes on eBay. For my brother I found both a jacket and pants, my dad a jacket only (and purchased tux pants and everyone's white pleated shirts and cummerbunds and bow ties shirts through uniformwearhouse

My six year old son wore a real tux jacket (eBay again), with just a pair of black pants from a department store. My husband already owned a tux, so his wasn't an issue.

They all looked quite sharp. You'd never guess they had on used tuxes - honestly, I've rented tuxes that looked more worn then these $5-$15 eBay finds. I suspect these are rotated out of rental store inventories somewhat seasonally - in late August there were multiple listings for used tuxes - today not so many. You can do a saved search and have eBay email you when new items (I have one with "boy black tuxedo 8" and "white tuxedo 46").

My parents cruise quite a bit, but had never dressed up like this before. My Dad enjoyed playing dress up so much that he has me searching eBay for a white tux jacket - so he can do both formal nights on the Oceania cruise they are doing in June.

Dressing up was tons of fun!

castlegazer
03-28-2006, 12:17 PM
I am so bummed about not being on your cruise because I want to see how beautiful you will definately be looking that night!!! How exciting! :goodvibes

I got my daughter's formal and my son's tux both for less than $20 together!!! Second hand stores RAWK!!!!!

grimley1968
03-28-2006, 02:34 PM
So ...

Can one choose not to wear a formal dress or a tux to formal night? I'd really rather not have to worry about packing this stuff, then dealing with a tie on my vacation, and frantic DW and DDs.

No offense to the OP, but a lot of this talk about formal wear has me really worried. I was hoping to avoid anything at all more formal than what I wear to work, which is biz casual and no tie. It's just too much work to deal with on vacations, to me. But then, I'd hate to miss a nice dinner I already paid for because I don't want to deal with dressing to the nines on my vacation. I can deal with wearing a blazer jacket and button-down shirt, but ties are an absolute no-no for me on vacation.

So will I be turned away, or frowned upon, for not wearing a full suit or tux to this formal night? My wife does not even own a formal dress, and we're simply not going to go out and buy one for this cruise. Maybe she might buy one for something else, but not for our vacation, and we're not going to have room in our luggage for such things.

Can we get away with pantsuits for DW, sundresses for DDs and biz casual + light blazer for me? If not, I guess this will be a room-service meal for us.

Tie = noose.

Lindy Loo
03-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Grimley 1968............ ive read alot about this formal night... My DH is not keen on tux at all.... and we have a weight issue flying from the UK. So we dont want to go OTT either. I think, correct me if im wrong someone, however I think its ok for a smart long sleeve shirt button down and trousers and shoes. Not sure about dockers?? Mind you I said to my DH no trainers and he points out his trainers are over $250, and most peoples posh shoes arent that. But i still say NO to trainers! Its about looking smart and feeling comfortable.
I'm sure you wont be having room service. Alot of repeat cruisers mention on these boards that even formal night is quite casual. (dont think some of them approve) especially on the 3 /4 night cruises.
I actually would quite like to dress up a bit, however to use an outfit just once on a 3 week holiday is madness, so i will go for a mix and match pant suit/skirt suit. Hope this helps.

grimley1968
03-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks, Lindy Loo. I'm sorry, but the "Atlantic divide" has me confused a little. What are trainers? :blush:

As for people not approving of what I wear, I'm not too worried about it, except for whether it makes the CM's kick me out of the restaurant. As long as I'm within the spirit and letter of the dress rules I read on the DCL website when I booked (I fully plan to be), I'm not too worried about what people think about my taste, or lack thereof ;), in clothing. I'm just paying too much for this cruise and have too little time in life to worry about how others view my dress habits. Unless I'm getting paid in my job to wear a coat and tie, or showing respect in church or elsewhere like a funeral or wedding, I simply don't do it. But again, I just wanted to make sure I would not be kicked out of the restaurant for not dressing as fancy as others might.

I've been to many events, and have even been on one cruise, where it was expected to dress really nicely for the formal event, and I only wore a blazer and button-down shirt with slacks, and noticed a lot of :rolleyes: directed my way, including by the staff. I was hoping the Disney cruise wouldn't be so stuck on appearance. I try to dress tastefully and always wear what is required by stated rules, but comfort trumps fashion for me.

DVC Jen
03-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Grimley.. if I hadn't found this gown I wouldn't have gone out and bought one either. Honestly I was just so darn thrilled to have found it and have it fit so well. I was dreading it like you are. I am so much the ultra casual jeans and tee shirt kinda gal. That is even pretty much what I wear to work since I teach preschool.

After I found that gown I decided what the heck... we are gonna do this up right big time and have some fun with it. We never ever ever dress like this. The last time was for our wedding nearly 20 years ago. For me personally.. it's like a lil girl getting all excited and getting to play Cinderella for a night.

*IF* I hadn't found this gown my DH would have been in his suit (with a tie) and I probably would have been in a very nice dress - something like what I would wear to a wedding.

We don't have such an issue with luggage because we are driving to Florida so we will have more space.

Ultimately.. I think (regardless of the ones who insist you MUST dress up) it is your vacation and you should be comfortable. Personally, as long as someone is clean and not in tattered clothing I am not offended. Life it too gosh darn short to be so uptight about what someone else is wearing.

grimley1968
03-28-2006, 03:34 PM
Oh, we're probably driving, too. It's about a 12-hour drive for us, which is frankly not much worse than dealing with a 6 or 7-hour door to door trip via plane. Plus, driving allows us to avoid those outrageously high ground transfer fees. So amount of luggage isn't technically an issue with us. But I just don't want to deal with getting all those formal clothes together, then having to pack at least an extra suitcase to accommodate all that.

I'll probably end up just packing a day or two's worth of what I wear to work, plus a blazer.

DisneyElf
03-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Grimley,

The outfit that you describe will be fine on Formal nite :thumbsup2 -- the staff will NOT look at you funny or turn you away since you are not dressed in a Tux. :goodvibes I'm sure you will find other people who are dressed the same.

Depending on the length of the cruise - people don't always dress in Tux's. I noticed on my 7 night cruises there were some, on the 14 Night repo the majority were dressed to the nines.

When you get to formal night - and feel the least bit uncomfortable you can always go up to Topsiders for a full service meal - no need for room service.

grimley1968
03-28-2006, 04:15 PM
When you get to formal night - and feel the least bit uncomfortable you can always go up to Topsiders for a full service meal - no need for room service.

Come on! This takes away my ability to sit in my room and do some self-righteous sulking about all the elitism on the boat! :)

Seriously, thanks, though. That is good to know about another option besides the main 3 restaurants in the rotation if one is not up for dressing up.

Tarabra
03-28-2006, 05:06 PM
I think it all looks worse on paper, than once you are there and caught up in it all. Dinner actually turns into an event that we look forward to getting ready for. BELIEVE me, we are about as casual as they come. My favorite non-dinner attire is a pair of cutoff shorts that used to be my DH's old jeans. I had to chuckle about someone mentioning tattered clothing! Oops. But not for dinner. I usually wear some sort of sundress or capris, and DH a polo and Khakis. He does wear a suit jacket and tie for formal nights. So maybe a total of wearing a tie...4 or 5 times a year for only 2 hours ea. night on the cruise and a wedding or two, so he doesn't mind it. He wouldn't wear a tux, nor would I want to deal w/ it. I've gotten a steal on 2 long dresses. Both under $20, so I wouldn't go out and buy a fancy dress. But no one will look awry at you if you are dressed as you say. I've said this before, and it does sound kind of morbid, but on formal night, I kind of pretend like I'm on the Titanic, where everyone gets dressed up. (I also pray it doesn't turn out like the Titanic) But it's just fun to do, great for pics, but entirely up to you.