PDA

View Full Version : Friends/Family going/ $$ question

debbiepump
03-26-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm sure I'm not the first person to be in this situation, but how do all you guys handle the bringing friends, family, etc along to your DVC and the cost to you as the member involved? Do you just ignore it all and let them pretty much go on a 'free' vacation (sans the tickets and eats part) or what?
My sis (older and can welllllllll afford the same as me if not more) and her husband are coming in October (2 bedroom/BCV). Last December, she and I went (2 bedroom/BCV) and her 'contribution' was to pay for the car rental (around $150). How do I handle this sticky situation. I did mention to her casually what the room rate was that was posted in the room.

Thanks all!

Slakk
03-26-2006, 04:30 PM
We got stuck in this so PROCEED CAREFULLY...we took my parents once and then it was assumed they got to come everytime. SO now we have to buy MORE POINTS so we can go and visit just me DH and DS.

It has not been so bad because my parents would buy all meals but now with DDP... I don't mean to sound mean but my parents could well afford their own accomodations and because they now feel entitled our vacations are shorter because we need a 2BR instead of a 1BR. Had we known we never would have offered the first time.

Saying that I opened my dumb mouth and invited my brother and his family and so now in 08 I will need a GV - I am a dork!!!

lovewdwdvc
03-26-2006, 04:40 PM
We always spell things out before we ask anyone to come with us. We are very specific. We even point out that we could rent the accomodations for $XXX.00. You just need to be very honest and open about the situation from the very beginning.

I would have no difficulty having a "trade" ---- DVC accomodations for DDP and/or tickets if it was for family.

PinkTink63
03-26-2006, 04:49 PM
You need to be upfront with them. We could never afford to take my brother's family along without them contributing. They really should understand. If you don't tell them, you'll be creating a monster that is going to snowball on you in years to come!

Steph :wave:

eva
03-26-2006, 05:03 PM
I think that it all depends on who did the inviting. If we invite friends or family, we bite the bullet and use our points to pay for the rooms. But they are responsible for food and tickets. We make that known up front when we invite them. Now if they start inviting themselves, that is a completely different story. I think that I would use previous advice and charge them $10 a point for the difference of any upgrade you need to make.

loucrew
03-26-2006, 05:07 PM
We are bringing my wife's two sisters and their families when we go to SSR next Feb. We are gonna be in a GV and I told them both up front it would be half of my maint. fee for 2006 each. That is still a bargain for them. :moped:

tmt martins
03-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Well as soon as people heard we bought the first thing they started was when can we borrow your week :lmao: As if we are never going to use it.

Now this 1st trip due to last years points we are taking DM & DsF to a 2 bdrm and treating them (they do a lot for us so this is no big deal ).

However for everyone else and if they want to go along again .I just explain this is how many points I have for these trips .If you want to go I can rent points from another member at about $10 a point so I can get you a discount that way.

If you want to stay with us a 2bdrm compaired to a studio is this much I will pay for this much extra and you pay this much as I'm getting a W/D and full kitchen.

I also know we can't afford right now the amount of points we NEED :rotfl2: So I will be renting some point from now and then as well (still think the $10 pp is cheaper then most other ways to go ) Unless I can get a AP rate for somewhere else at a better price .But I know we will never have extra points until we add-on when this one is paid off in a few years.

I just explain this is not a normal type timeshare and tell the the truthful deal.

halekai64
03-26-2006, 05:11 PM
Have her pay the diff between a one bedroom and a two bedroom.

This is exactly how we're approaching it.. the difference between a 1BR and 2BR.

We are also very involved with inviting family and are feeling a little uneasy about this as well.. I must say that when our guide "sold" us on DVC , I was so unrealistic in thinking we would be inviting everyone for free.. well.. now that four months have gone by and we're paying our fee along with dealing with the big upfront purchase, my feet are back on the ground..

To be specific, on our most recent trip, the diff between a 1BR and 2BR (sun thru thurs) was 8 points so we assumed $10/point and charged $80/night which is a steal and doesn't account for the very high point cost of the Sat night we stayed... We stayed six nights, so I asked for 6*80 = $480.. I know I am being completely fair to our guests, but I do have this uneasy feeling because I'm sure they don't "get it".

Like other's said, it's real important that you make the cost to your guests completely clear when you invite them.

Amy&Dan
03-26-2006, 05:15 PM
I have taken family twice to SSR. The first time was last October and we took my parents as a gift to them. My mother has Alzheimers and cancer, it was sort of a good bye trip in a way. We have travelled with them over the years and it was sort of the last in a long line of family adventures. Due to her illness and the cost incurred, it was our treat. We then invited DH's family (aunt, cousin, and his dad) to go with us in January. Aunt and Cousin paid us $5.50 (our cost, we didn't want a profit just what it was costing us but if I did again I would have charged more because we lost points and we can't rent them for $5.50 to make up what we no longer have) a point for their share of the 2 bedroom plus half of points for the studio we needed for my fil (we split that studio with aunt as well since fil has no money). I told them to go to allearsnet and check out SSR photos, they saw the rack rates (as I knew they would) and knew they were getting a great deal. So it made it seem to them and me that we were doing them a favor by allowing them nicer accomodations at a vastly reduced rate, not making money off them to rent our points. My sister (ever the deal hound) has mentioned several times she would love to go with us. Her take is that since we are going and paying, why not just let her squeeze in with us? I told her she could rent points from a disboarder (I know that if she rents points from me I will never see a dime), stay at Port Orleans since its so close to SSR or pay cash to stay at SSR. Never heard one word about that again! I know her well enough to not get myself in something I can't get out of and also that if I do it once, she'll be along for the ride for eternity. I guess my point is that for each of our scenarios, I handled it differently based upon my relationship with that particular family member, their finances etc. Having a timeshare I am finding, really opens up a can of worms with friends and family! I think honesty is the best route and just know that you may have to say "no" to people you once said "yes" to. For example we are cruising with DH's aunt and cousin in September, the ones we stayed with at SSR in January. We decided to spend 3 nights at WDW before the cruise. I told them we just preferred to stay in a moderate that trip which was fine with them and roughly the same price as renting points from us. In all truth, I would have enough points for a couple of studios at OKW but I didn't want to use my points for another joint family trip. Even though they paid for their share, it really took a lot of points to upgrade to a two bedroom plus an extra studio. As I go along I realize my points are very valuable and I am getting more saavy at how I use them! And if I ever do take family again, I am charging them $10 a point, which is still a great deal on a DVC resort.

cman
03-26-2006, 05:25 PM
We are planning our 3rd trip to BWV with a large group of family members - 18 to be exact.

The agreement we have had in the past is that each family gives us $100 a night. We had come up with that amount when planning our first trip because that was what a night at one of the All Star resorts would have cost each family if we weren't taking them with us to BWV.

There are five other family's involved in this next trip so we'll get $500 X 8 nights for $4000. That pays for our airfare, park tickets and food for the trip.

Who makes out on the deal?? Well everyone I guess. All the families feel like they are getting "Diesney Magic" for $100/night while we feel that we're getting a "free" trip since the $4k covers everything for us. If you do the math we're losing money taking everyone - and they know that. So they treat us to dinner, babysit the kids so we can go out, pay for things like the Wishes Cruise......

To tell you the truth the best moments we've ever had together have been on those two previous trips. That's enough for me!

bpmorley
03-26-2006, 05:35 PM
We stayed with another couple in a studio. We allowed them to stay for free, but we made it understood that if we could have gotten a second studio or a 1bdr they would have paid the difference. We split meals, not that we ate together every meal. We had AP's, they had to get their own tickets

KelNottAt
03-26-2006, 07:11 PM
We don't charge anything. For our upcoming trip in August, we're giving Dsis a 1Br for her family and my parents a 1Br for them (in addition to our own 1br). My parents treated us to an annual week in Myrtle Beach for 6 or 7 years; it's a pleasure to return the favor. My sis has an honestly tight budget, so I love giving a her a little WDW magic.

Likewise, in 2008 we'll book four 2Br x 5 nights for a reunion vacation with DH's family. 22 people. It'll be 804 points. OUCH. But, DMIL & DFIL won't be around forever and this may be our last group vacation.

These 2 trips will wipe out 5 years worth of points, but that's OK. We're blessed to be able to afford it. And, by using up all the points, we have a legit excuse when someone asks to borrow our timeshare. "Sorry, it's not available...for a loooong time."

rparmfamily
03-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Glad someone posted about this. DH wants to bring his parents, I want to save our points for ourselves, because if they go with us they would be staying in accomdations more expensive then they would normally pay, and they they wouldn't want to pay part of the difference, and would assume we'd let them come for free.

Whoever said this isn't like a regular timeshare is right. IL's would just think that we get a week at a 2 bedroom,etc like most timeshares are, not realizing that we'd be gobbling up points bringing them and getting much larger accomadations then we normally get too. (we are studio folks, and would need a 2 br w/them.) We plan on spreading our trips out over the year, and taking them would take up most of our yearly points.

I think I'll just keep this a secret from now on LOL...

McMouse Family
03-26-2006, 07:35 PM
I am surprised to see how many people are "charging" their family and/or friends ANYTHING to share a room or villa. EVERY TIME that we've asked family to go, we have never expected a dime in return. What we did hope for in return is that they would have a good time! I would feel very uncomfortable if family was "subrenting" from us or paying the difference.

They have been asked by us, which makes them our guests. Sharing accommodations is simply a gift on our part. What happened to "tis better to give than to receive?"

I am not going to deny that our guests have insisted upon buying some of the food to prepare in the room or treating us to a meal out. However, the cost to them has been minimal, with no "calculation" as to what the true cost would be if they were paying "the difference" between a one-bedroom or two-bedroom unit or a cottage. It would seem cheap of us to think otherwise.

And, yes, purchasing into DVC has been a big sacrifice on our part. Still working on paying off the purchase after five years. However, the good times and memories have been well worth it, and the family has reciprocated in other ways throughout other times of the year (like when college-age DS wants to visit them during spring break!!!). :thumbsup2

crisi
03-26-2006, 07:51 PM
For us, when we take people it is always a gift. But they are your points to do with as you wish - you are under no obligation to share, or to not charge your family. If you are letting someone (even your sister) take advantage of you, its no ones fault but your own.

disneymagic316
03-26-2006, 07:57 PM
We took my sil, bil and 2 kids to a 2 bedroom in OKW. Honestly, my DH was so happy to have them come. We invited them and never considered charging them. The only place they had ever stayed in WDW was Ft. Wilderness in my mil's motorhome. They were so excited about everything at the resort that my DH was thrilled. We would have them again and will invite other in-laws, too. We enjoy sharing our DVC with family members who otherwise would not be able to experince the resorts. They don't come that often and they never invite themselves. (My parents, sister and brother are all DVC members so they use their own points even though we sometimes share 2 bedrooms with each other and share the points).

rigsby25
03-26-2006, 08:15 PM
I don't think I would ever charge either. We took my SIL once, and this spring we are hosting a family reunion in a Villa. We look forward to taking other family members as well. Our family really adds to our fun and enjoyment. We are happy to be able to do this.

Wish I lived in Fl
03-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Just spell it out at the beginning of each invitation. If people assume incorrectly, correct ASAP so they can decide if they wish to /want to afford the trip.

Our inlaws take one adult child and family per year for a Timeshare vaxation. They are subsidizing their kids vacation but also including themselves in on the vacation so it seems a fair deal all around.

Any timeshare is expensive with buying in and maintenance costs, i would never expect it to be given free except as a wedding present or Law school graduation gift possibly.

Amy&Dan
03-26-2006, 08:20 PM
I am surprised to see how many people are "charging" their family and/or friends ANYTHING to share a room or villa. EVERY TIME that we've asked family to go, we have never expected a dime in return. What we did hope for in return is that they would have a good time! I would feel very uncomfortable if family was "subrenting" from us or paying the difference.

They have been asked by us, which makes them our guests. Sharing accommodations is simply a gift on our part. What happened to "tis better to give than to receive?"

(
I think you are talking about something different here. There are gifts that are part of an invitation that you, the DVC owner offer and then there are solications from people who want a "deal". The difference with my "charging" (that sounds awful but okay, you're right I guess thats what I did) and not charging is this. With my parents, they can't afford to go to WDW, we INVITED them so yes, it was a gift. With Dh's family, we all decided to go to WDW to spend the holidays together. We offered to pick up his dad's room just as we had done with my parents. With his aunt and cousin however, we have a whole, understandably different relationship and left it up to them whether they wanted to rent our points or stay at a moderate. They chose to rent from us and they ended up paying much less than they would have if they had gone the moderate route, they weren't complaining believe me. We will take many more trips with them but with our elderly parents who are at the end of life we won't so I guess that affected things. So I guess the line we drew was that for our parents we would "gift" the points as they are our guests and have done so much for us it was wonderful to do something wonderful for them in return. For others we will give them the choice to pay for points or stay at another resort of their choice, if in fact we have enough points to even do that. The bottom line is that I think many people, myself included have vast amounts of friends and relatives and while I love them dearly, I don't consider it my job to finance their vacations. I certainly don't hold a gun to anyone's head to rent my points and use my timeshare. It sounds like you make the offer and invite which is what we did with our respective parents. However I have had people ask me if they can use my timeshare and that is a whole different story and therefore receives a different arrangement on my end.

Coastie
03-26-2006, 08:51 PM
We offered accomodations to family members 2 years ago and they turn us down! :confused3

Once they found found out what DVC was about, they started hinting late last year. This year we told everyone we would provide the lodging, they would have to pay for the flight, food, and passes. July is our first family reunion... 9 nights in a 1 grand villa at BWV, two 2 BDRMs and 2 Studios at the VWL. No complaints from anyone and we received offers for dinner... anywhere on disney property.

Best advise... Be honest and upfront. You may be pleasantly surprised!

Can't wait :bounce:

cman
03-26-2006, 08:58 PM
I am surprised to see how many people are "charging" their family and/or friends ANYTHING to share a room or villa.

I guess "charging" sounds like a bad word. Honestly though the two trips we took in the past and the one I'm panning now are in the 1200 point range.

If the other families in my gourp hadn't offered to help defray the cost the first time we went then there probably would have only been one trip. By them relaizing that DVC is not free for us we'll have years of family vacation together.

I guess we're lucky that our family realizes ther expense of one of these trips and is willing to pay part of their way.

Deb & Bill
03-26-2006, 09:11 PM
We've brought two other families as our guests, my husband's parents, my mother, my SIL, a couple of nieces for a few trips. We've never charged them anything for the villa expenses because we invited them. With the kids, we even bought their tickets and paid for their meals. Adults and families buy their own tickets and the majority of their meals. The girls' parents gave them spending money and offered to pay for a good meal for the entire family. The others always took our family and theirs out for a nice meal - usually a character meal - and also provided some of the groceries. We have never had anyone ask to join us, they wait to be invited.

This Sept, we are going to DL for four nights for the 1/2 marathon. One of the families we took to WDW with us is also going and they have asked for their room to be near our room since we had such a great time together. We agreed on that one, too.

bpmorley
03-26-2006, 09:52 PM

They have been asked by us, which makes them our guests. :thumbsup2

I think the point some people are bringing up is that they've invited some people once and now it seems like they have to bring them every time. If you ask someone to go along, you shouldn't be asking for anything in return. But if they invite themselves, they should be paying something.

Boston5602
03-26-2006, 10:23 PM
I think the point some people are bringing up is that they've invited some people once and now it seems like they have to bring them every time. If you ask someone to go along, you shouldn't be asking for anything in return. But if they invite themselves, they should be paying something.

yeah like their entire trip :bounce:

ACDSNY
03-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Almost all of our Disney trips are with extended family. We always get enough rooms/units to be comfortable, not crowded and split the costs on a person basis. These trips aren't invitations, but are more like we decide when we want to go and whoever can make joins in. I've covered the cost for one sister and a niece a few times since they couldn't afford to go.

This year we are going with DH cousin's and his wife and we gave them the choice of where to stay and what kind of unit. They decided on SSR 2 bedroom so we're picking up the cost for the 1 bedroom and they'll do the studio.

The key is to be upfront and give the people traveling with you all the info so they can make an informed choice.

crisi
03-27-2006, 07:46 AM
In my mind there are levels of "guests" who use points:

Dependants: I'm not making my kids fork over their allowance for trips.

Complete Guests: We took my MIL several years ago. Being a rather broke woman, we not only didn't chanrge her for the room, we paid airfare, park admission, and all her food while she was with us. The invite for this is "we'd love to take you on vacation....don't worry about a thing, we'll pay for everything."

Room Guests: Next year my family will be going with us. We really can't afford to pay everything for twelve people. The room is on us, but they will pick up food, airfare and park tickets. The invite for this is "we'd love to have you go on vacation with us. We'll use our points to get you a room - you'll need to cover park tickets, airfare and food."

"Dues" Guests (or "dues plus" guests): We haven't done this yet, but some people have "offered." The invite for this one doesn't come from us, it comes from our guests and is one of those "we'd love to go with you all to WDW sometime, since you have that timeshare." Assuming we had extra points and wanted to travel with them, the response is "that would be great, we'd ask you guys to pick up our dues cost on the extra room - plus you'd need park tickets, airfare and food." To date, the response has always been "we don't have extra points." There is the possibility in the future that we will allow my sister and her husband to take their kids using our points on a "dues plus" arrangement without us.

Renters: Charged to make a profit off of them.

sean-1966
03-27-2006, 08:10 AM
I would never think of charging a family member. We took my SIL and her family last October. We split the cost of all food right down the middle. Even though they have 2 kids and we have none. The fun we had with the kids was worth more than what it cost us. It was a joy to see WDW through their eyes. This year we gave 100 points to my BIL and his family for a trip this May. We'd love to go with them but just can't afford it right now. Again I just can't see charging them. I bought DVC for my enjoyment and one way I get enjoyment is through seeing the joy in my family. BTW, I can't wait to take my niece. Now that's going to be fun.

bpmorley
03-27-2006, 08:22 AM
I would never think of charging a family member. We took my SIL and her family last October. We split the cost of all food right down the middle. Even though they have 2 kids and we have none. The fun we had with the kids was worth more than what it cost us. It was a joy to see WDW through their eyes. This year we gave 100 points to my BIL and his family for a trip this May. We'd love to go with them but just can't afford it right now. Again I just can't see charging them. I bought DVC for my enjoyment and one way I get enjoyment is through seeing the joy in my family. BTW, I can't wait to take my niece. Now that's going to be fun.

i hear what you're saying, but the original post was not about charging people that you invite. It was about inviting people once and then they assume they get to go on every vacation free of cost. We've taken people down at no cost for the room, but if they were to just assume next time that we have to take them, they will have to put some $$$ up.

jimmar6419
03-27-2006, 09:22 AM
We always cover the rooms and they cover all of their other expenses. I will say the best thing that we have done is the invite family for 4-5 nights, while we stay 7-8. It is fun to have everyone with us, but it is sure nice to end with just our family. ;)

bpmorley
03-27-2006, 10:18 AM
We always cover the rooms and they cover all of their other expenses. I will say the best thing that we have done is the invite family for 4-5 nights, while we stay 7-8. It is fun to have everyone with us, but it is sure nice to end with just our family. ;)

That's our next trip. We're down there for 10 days and we have another couple coming down for 5 or 6 days. With Child number 1 on the way, chances are we'll just bank all of next years points. then we're gonna have a bunch of people down for 4/5 days in a Grand Villa, then we'll do a couple days in a studio

Sarahsal
03-27-2006, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=crisi]"we'd love to go with you all to WDW sometime, since you have that timeshare." QUOTE]

This is why no one, except my parents, knows we own DVC.

bpmorley
03-27-2006, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=crisi]"we'd love to go with you all to WDW sometime, since you have that timeshare." QUOTE]

This is why no one except my parents know we own DVC.

Isn't DVC called Disney's best kept secret?

lsutiggeratwk
03-27-2006, 01:23 PM
I have a great-niece born in July 05 and the first time I looked at her, I told her we would go to WDW! Sooooooooo - the trip has been planned. Of course I invited her mom and dad, her grandparents (my DB and DSIL), and her aunt and DBF for a trip in Nov. 06. We're have a planning meeting sometimes during the Easter holiday to make sure we all understand the rules:
DH and I will "pay" for the rooms (2 2bdrms) and they will be in charge of everything else. I know that we will share some meals in the rooms etc, but I'm just not that worried about it. I hope to gather info so they know about how much their part will be (park passes mainly).

The joy of taking the great-niece to WDW for the first time is payment enough for me !!

Happy planning to all ! :Pinkbounc :yay:

Sammie
03-27-2006, 01:28 PM
I have a great-niece born in July 05 and the first time I looked at her, I told her we would go to WDW! Sooooooooo - the trip has been planned. Of course I invited her mom and dad, her grandparents (my DB and DSIL), and her aunt and DBF for a trip in Nov. 06. We're have a planning meeting sometimes during the Easter holiday to make sure we all understand the rules:
DH and I will "pay" for the rooms (2 2bdrms) and they will be in charge of everything else. I know that we will share some meals in the rooms etc, but I'm just not that worried about it. I hope to gather info so they know about how much their part will be (park passes mainly).

The joy of taking the great-niece to WDW for the first time is payment enough for me !!

Happy planning to all ! :Pinkbounc :yay:

Sounds like a plan and good luck in Indy!

NYBlue1
03-27-2006, 03:54 PM
I just came back from a trip with my family to the BCV and that included 5 adults and 2 kids on top of my family, I needed to reserve a two bedroom and a studio. We charged them 500 an adult and 150 a child. This covered my families airfare and food and transportation expences while we were there for 7 nights and 8 days, also we included a character breakfast at crystal palace and the hoop de doo review.

My family know that we are all hard working people trying to make ends meet and would never expect a free vacation on me.

Disney Doll
03-27-2006, 07:02 PM
If we invite someone, we use our points for the room. They offer to split the food purchase for the room, they buy their own tickets and plane fare.

We do a marathon weekend trip every year with my friend from nursing school, another couple we are friends with, my SIL & BIL, and DH & I. We don't charge SIL & BIL. We don't charge my friend because she sleeps on the pullout and I couldn't charge someone to sleep on the pullout. We do charge the other couple $100/night. We figure that is cheaper than a moderate, they get their own room in a deluxe. We get a grand villa for that trip.

I could charge friends, depending on how the trip was presented in the first place. If we invited them, though, I would not be able to charge them. I couldn't charge family, but then again, I don't have the type of family that would "expect" to always be invited or "expect" to never have to pay. They would offer to pay for stuff, and in the past, they have paid for our admission to a water park or PI as a thank you.

I think it depends on your particular circumstances, what your relationship is with your friends & family.

FredS
03-27-2006, 07:23 PM
...My family know that we are all hard working people trying to make ends meet and would never expect a free vacation on me.

Exactly! I would never invite myself and family along with, for instance, my sister's family on vacation and just expect them to get accommodations to fit all of us for free!! Along the same lines, if I invite my niece to join us, and she shares a room with my daughter, I would certainly not expect any payment. If my sister, husband, kids and a couple of the kids' friends wanted to go to Disney when I told them about our upcoming trip then I would, and have, charged them. It is a win/win situation and they get a significantly cheaper room so I have no qualms whatsoever.

I think if I tried to "give" them a couple of free rooms they would be very uncomfortable. I know that I would if the situation was reversed, as I would worry that I was using too many of their points so I would be tempted to squash too many people in too small a villa and we'd all be miserable.

I guess those who can't imagine "charging" friends or family and whose "greatest joy" is from seeing the incredible happiness their generosity produces are just better than some of us. ;) Or have more more clueless or "spongier" friends and family!

RCM
03-27-2006, 07:24 PM
....I can't believe the comments about family and friends. I feel half the fun of the points is treating people to a nice stay. I would never think of charging friends or family. The more you give in the long run the more you will receive.

FredS
03-27-2006, 07:27 PM
I can't believe the comments insulting those who don't feel obligated to alway provide a free vacation for their friends and family.

Gosh, a genuinely nice person would be a bit less judgmental, wouldn't they? Hard to be a saint all of the time, huh?

Maistre Gracey
03-27-2006, 07:35 PM
We also bring family and friends, and do not ask for anything in return.
Usually our guests will pick up a dinner check at a nicer dinner joint, but we say that it isn't necessary. If they insist, we don't get into a brawl over it. :teeth:

MG

Boston5602
03-27-2006, 08:14 PM
ok let me ask , what would YOU do? ( let me preface this with I want to hear what you have to say , I just might not follow your advice :rotfl2: )Anyways every year or just about my friends and I go first week of June and we take airfare transportation and hotel and split evenly among us. Now if I start using my points to pay for hotel , we always stayed at BWV anyways , do I not include this in the total split , include it , or only pay cash?

Thanks for your input :goodvibes

sagwanamu
03-27-2006, 08:30 PM
When I invite my family, I don't expect them to pay for the accomdation or any part that I don't pay. Of course, they have to pay for park tickets, etc and share the cost of grocery if we order in.

But they always pay few hundreds dollars to share the cost of maintenance fee, none asked.

Althogh I have not invited my friends, but if I invite a friend, I would make sure they pay for something, such as nice dinner out or groceries.

IMHO, you shouldn't expect anything from family but you should ask/make them pay for something if you are taking friends.

bpmorley
03-27-2006, 08:34 PM
ok let me ask , what would YOU do? ( let me preface this with I want to hear what you have to say , I just might not follow your advice :rotfl2: )Anyways every year or just about my friends and I go first week of June and we take airfare transportation and hotel and split evenly among us. Now if I start using my points to pay for hotel , we always stayed at BWV anyways , do I not include this in the total split , include it , or only pay cash?

Thanks for your input :goodvibes

Most people rent their points for around 10/point. So why not split that. charge them 5/point.

NYBlue1
03-27-2006, 09:10 PM
....I can't believe the comments about family and friends. I feel half the fun of the points is treating people to a nice stay. I would never think of charging friends or family. The more you give in the long run the more you will receive.

I will keep that in mind the next time I have no money to do anything with my immediate family but let them stay in a hotel room on their disney vacation. I dont have the money to foot the bill for my family, if I did I would do it, I think that most people would, , we are not all as lucky as you to be able to afford the luxery of being so generous. Your a prince/ princess amongst men/women head on into the bathroom and give yourself a big pat on the back in the bathroom mirror.

cman
03-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Look, there are certainly arguments for both sides here. But.....

Those of you who pay for other people shouldn't be shocked by the fact that some of us don't have the money to to treat friends and family to free lodging. We're going on our third trip to WDW with a large group of family members - 18. At $10 a point (I don't have enough points so we transfer) the 3 trips would have cost me in the nieghborhood of $35,000. You know what that means? One trip would have been all anyone got if they hadn't offered to pay something towards the cost.

I guess it doesn't offend any of my family because they were the ones begging to do it again.

Amy&Dan
03-27-2006, 10:45 PM

That assumes that you have it to give in the first place. With two kids in braces, college funds to fund, helping my elderly parents pay their staggering pharmacy bill each month and who knows what else, I am doing good to get myself and my family to WDW. We go a 2-3 times per year, I guess I could cut back to once and take some friends or family but that never occured to me and why should it? As far as our parents, when we invited them, we paid, for EVERYTHING they ate, saw rode and slept in at WDW. We knew at their age and health, it was a one time thing and it was great and worth every penney. For others I don't feel any obligation to do so whatsoever. Anymore than I expect them to treat me to an expensive vacation. This is not like treating somebody to dinner, this is a huge expense. I think its great you can afford to. But I won't sacrifice the things I need to do for my children to pay for a family member's (outside my parents and dh's dad) or friend's vacation. Someday when my kids are older and have kids of their own, you betcha, but until then I just can't afford to do it.

bpmorley
03-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Everybody is in a different situation. We've only been members since 04. We've only taken people with us once. We didn't charge because we asked if they wanted to go. We couldn't get a 1bdr, we had already booked a studio before they decided to go. So I couldn't charge(and wouldn't) them to share a studio. I think we allowed them to buy us a meal. Now if they had invited themselves, it may have been a different story. Me and my wife don't have any kids. We don't make a ton of money(I'm a fireman, she's a secretary). So in years to come when we have children the story may be different. People with kids, tuitions, health costs, etc... can't afford to pay for other peoples vacations. I get that. To the people who can afford to do that, good for you. And I just hope that the people you treat appreciate it. For those who can't, you enjoy your DVC. It belongs to you and nobody else

flechette
03-28-2006, 08:44 AM
I'm glad to see this thread cause I've already got a problem with friends planning trips to WDW on our points and we're not even owners yet! :sad2:

I made the mistake of leaving out the pretty purple book when some friends came over and man did people pounce on it. Some of it was just good natured joshing but I know at least 2 who are- well - moochers- and we're going to have to set some sort of guidelines NOW or we'll get railroaded later on.

We're think more like - one couple comes along they pay for one dining plan for me or hubby; more than 1 couple and both our dining plans are paid for.

That said one reason, Tim and I are considering OKW vs SSR is the lower point cost for GV so we can treat family and friends occassionally (and more easily)

I agree those who can afford to be so generous are wonderful, but I've worked very hard to get out of debt, DVC will be my reward for that hard work, and I won't go back into debt just to be seen as "generous" :thumbsup2

CarolMN
03-28-2006, 09:16 AM
When friends and family invite themselves, I just smile and say we'd love to have them along, but we can't afford to pay for anyone else's vacation. Then I ask if they want to buy in, too and offer my guide's 800 number. If they don't I offer to help them rent someone else's "time" (I say "points" if I think they understand at least a little about the system, which no one outside of DVC really does, LOL). That usually takes care of the "moochers" and also the family & friends we do NOT want to vacation with, LOL.

So far, we have invited selected family members along on some of our trips and when we do, we take care of the room. No charge. Everyone takes care of his/her own air transportation and park tickets. We split groceries, but generally everyone pays for thier own meals & souvenirs. Our guests usually pick up the cost of the rental car and one or more meals out as a thank you.

Best wishes -

golfnut1264
03-28-2006, 09:37 AM
my parents would not go unless they paid us...same with my brothers and friends....i charged my brother would can easily afford it $1500 for a week in a 1br at the BW...i charged my friend $1000 for a studio for 1 week in BW...i booked a 2br for my family and my parents and i told them to give me nothing and the gave me a $1000 (and can easily afford it) and told me that would go otherwise...m y financial is spotty at best ...we struggle to keep dvc but by selling it helps pay for AP's and airfare and dues so we are able to keep it...if i was a millionaire and had plenty of points i wouldnt charge anybody anything but i am not....just trying to get by like most others...so without knowing anyones situation dotn make statements like i cant believe you charge family and friends.....my family thoroughly enjoyed our vaction together and appreciate the fact that i was able to save them some money and give deluxe accomadations.......

crisi
03-28-2006, 10:17 AM

You sound exceptionally blessed. You have the resources to treat the people you care about, and apparently the people you care about don't take advantage of the situation. Consider yourself fortunate. Most people don't have sufficient resources to be able to take their own immediate families on vacation as often as they'd like, much less be able to allow their second cousin's neighbor use of their points. And most of us have at least a few relatives or friends that are moochers. They may be great people to hang out with, but you've stopped going out for dinner with them because they always forget their wallet.

From the tone of the OP it sounds like these relations are moochers, and perhaps the OP hasn't quite learned how to say "no." And that can be a hard thing to learn, especially if the family dynamic is set up to enable the moochers. One of the things that is nice about this board is that other people can tell how they phrase "no" to stop the moochers in their tracks without giving offense ("I'll be happy to show you a place where you can rent points.").

Another thing is that a lot of DVC owners have been jerked around by their "guests" - some have even gone as far as charging rooms they'd gladly give for free - simply because things taken for free are sometimes wasted by those that don't understand that to the owner there was a cost involved. Owners tell stories about guests who decided two days before the trip to not go - leaving the owner with an extra studio. Or sharing a two bedroom with friends for free, only to have the friends invite other friends that the owner isn't fond of - now there are six adults in a two bedroom - two adults that the owner doesn't want to spend a week with! My favorite story was the one where the owner's guests invited another couple - and then uninvited the owner!

Now some of us have relatives we'd have gladly picked, and friends who reciprocate in kind as they can, and resources to share. And those of us in these circumstances are fortunate, but should acknowledge that perhaps we shouldn't judge unless our sister in law has been known to "borrow" our best jewelry and never return it - but we can't tell her to jump in the lake for the sake of family harmony.

bpmorley
03-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Very well put Golfnut.

Amy&Dan
03-28-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm glad to see this thread cause I've already got a problem with friends planning trips to WDW on our points and we're not even owners yet! :sad2:

I made the mistake of leaving out the pretty purple book when some friends came over and man did people pounce on it. Some of it was just good natured joshing but I know at least 2 who are- well - moochers- and we're going to have to set some sort of guidelines NOW or we'll get railroaded later on.

I agree those who can afford to be so generous are wonderful, but I've worked very hard to get out of debt, DVC will be my reward for that hard work, and I won't go back into debt just to be seen as "generous" :thumbsup2

Thats what happened to us! I had our book laying out, a friend who knows her Disney immediately noticed it laying on my kitchen table and said something to the effect of: "great, now we can stay with you and save a bundle"! I told her, sorry, if we take anybody it will be immediate family only. She was kind of miffed and told me about all the people she knows who share their time shares. Well, DVC is more expensive I said and tried to justify my "selfishness" (her words not mine). But then I had to laugh because she had pulled up in her new $35,000 car, the one that was parked right next to my old minivan, they have a bigger house, ski, snowmobile, etc. and it occurred to me that my DVC purchase comes at a sacrifice to other things in my life. Will she take me skiing, let me borrow their snowmobile or treat me to one of the many fancy dinners they eat out each week as a trade off for my points they will use? I don't think so! So why should I feel guilty or obligated? And you shouldn't either. And I totally understand about the debt thing. And you are right, you would go into debt to finance someone else's vacation. We always pay cash for our vacations until the last two trips when we took our respective parents. Those were the trips where we whipped out that credit card so much it practically begged for mercy! But that was for our parents, who will never get to go to WDW or anywhere else again so I am fine with that and just now paid it off. But for somebody else, no way! I think some of the people who treat others are older, have their DVC paid off and are in a whole different set of circumstances than my husband and I are. I envy that but can't compete with or copy it. Now in 20 years when the kids are grown, I can just envision the times my husband and I will take them, their kids and spouses and stay in a Grand Villa. Hopefully the braces and college will be paid off by then or I may have to charge them after all! ;)

Rozzie
03-28-2006, 11:42 AM
I would not ever charge my family for the room. Sorry, just wouldn't. Doens't make you wrong, or myself wrong. Now if they want to help with gas and food I would not refuse. But I would let it be their option. The difference is we always do the inviting. I have never had anyone invite themselves. I might approach that situaiton with a different feeling....

We are very excited to treat our Moms this Jan to a 2BR BWV for the 65th bdays. (they are same age) We are buying their airfare and meals also as a birthday gift. I feel very blessed to be able to treat them.

FayeW
03-28-2006, 12:12 PM
I think the question you have to ask yourself is "If I didn't own DVC, would I pay for this person's hotel room?" If the answer is "NO" then, charge them for their room, or the difference in the # of points for the accomodations you chose vs. what you needed for your family. Just because you own it, doesn't mean you have to give it away!

It's one thing when guests come to stay at your home; that is the same size regardless of whether it is being occupied by your family or 20 guests. When you are renting GV and multiple rooms, it's time to stop the insanity! There is nothing wrong with telling people "I have enough points for a my family. If you want to come it's $XXXX."

Deb & Bill
03-28-2006, 12:56 PM
You can always tell the moochers that you're sorry, but you don't have the points to share. But if they'd love to come along, call 1-407-WDISNEY and they will be glad to help you find accomodations.

bpmorley
03-28-2006, 01:23 PM
So why should I feel guilty or obligated? ;)

The answer is YOU SHOULDN'T FEEL GUILTY OR OBLIGATED. DVC belongs to you and you alone. You don't have to give it to anyone and they shouldn't expect it. If I was in position to have everyone I know use the place I would, but I can't. And I get the point about people with more money wanting free things. How do you think they got more money?

flechette
03-28-2006, 01:35 PM
You can always tell the moochers that you're sorry, but you don't have the points to share. But if they'd love to come along, call 1-406-WDISNEY and they will be glad to help you find accomodations.

:rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

Lord I wish I could, if only to see the expressions! I can be SUCH a wimp. :blush: OTOH if being nice means I don't get my vacations I suspect I'll find a backbone and fangs pretty darn quick. :stir: :cheer2:

sajetto
03-28-2006, 01:43 PM
I'm amazed at all this generosity. We have done everything we know how to keep our DVC a secret from the family except my folks. The moment they found out I know they'd be inviting themselves.

Sorry, but I'm not putting myself in debt for everyone else. If you want to go, get a hotel room. Simple as that.

bpmorley
03-28-2006, 01:43 PM
:rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

Lord I wish I could, if only to see the expressions! I can be SUCH a wimp. :blush: OTOH if being nice means I don't get my vacations I suspect I'll find a backbone and fangs pretty darn quick. :stir: :cheer2:

Well you'll have to remember the way that everyone told you to say no nicely. I'm sure once it starts costing you your fun, you're stop the madness

Muushka
03-28-2006, 01:55 PM
Funny thing about friends that 'mooch'. They don't get invited back!

We had some 'moochers' stay with us at VWL for 2 nights. I'll tell you what, if it was free (including stuff in our refrigerator), they grabbed it (even to take for the ride home). Never once offered to pay for anything, or share anything. I cannot stand that. Of course we didn't realize the true mooching mentality until we spent a few days with it. They ask us about VWL every year, and we do not ask them to join us. We have offered to make them hotel reservations though. So strange, they just don't want to do that! :confused3

We have some other friends, the 'non-mooching' vareity. You know the type, nice, appreciative, don't expect anything. They are coming for a full week at BWV with us next month. We don't expect anything to be paid to us because we invited them to come along-they did not invite themselves.
There is a difference.

bpmorley
03-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Muush, you should do what I did. Years ago I had some of the mooching type of friends. I just don't bother with them anymore. I'm a pretty generous person and I can't stand cheap people. There is a difference between cheap because you don't have it and cheap cause you don't want to spend it. I've disassociated myself with all of those people. We took a couple and their 6 yo daughter with us for 5 days at BCV. They wanted to pay for everything. i think I let them buy one meal, but I paid for all 5 of us to eat at Cape May Cafe. They make less than we do(not that we're making a ton) but they couldn't thank us enough. Their daughter still thanks me. That's all the payment I need.

dianeschlicht
03-28-2006, 02:21 PM
We have never charged guests anything, and while most usually take us out to a very nice dinner or something like Cirque du Soliel, some can't afford to do that, and from them, a SINCERE thank you is all I really want. Unfortunately, we did have one couple who didn't even do that! Those are the ones we don't invite back. We LOVE sharing our DVC with family and friends. It really is one of the reasons we purchased. I wouldn't feel right charging folks that I invite to join us. Now, if someone wants to "borrow" points, for a trip of their very own....they're out of luck!

Muushka
03-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Muush, you should do what I did. Years ago I had some of the mooching type of friends. I just don't bother with them anymore. I'm a pretty generous person and I can't stand cheap people. There is a difference between cheap because you don't have it and cheap cause you don't want to spend it. I've disassociated myself with all of those people. We took a couple and their 6 yo daughter with us for 5 days at BCV. They wanted to pay for everything. i think I let them buy one meal, but I paid for all 5 of us to eat at Cape May Cafe. They make less than we do(not that we're making a ton) but they couldn't thank us enough. Their daughter still thanks me. That's all the payment I need.

Sadly, we did what you did. We really don't see these friends anymore.

The friends we are taking with us will some day (well the husband anyway) be a pastor of a church. They give freely of themselves (to the church), so makes it nice to be able to give something back to them.

jj13
03-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Great topic and timely too.

We took my brother, his wife and 3 boys a few years ago. We didn't charge them but they offered to pay to stock the room with groceries and surprised us by buying us dinner at Coral Reef. It was a great trip.

I've taken my mom at no cost.

This year we're going with a family who are friends (not family). I'm trying to rent points which I've never done before so we'll see how it goes. My plan is to use my points to get the accomodations I normally would and then have her pay for the rental of points to upgrade to the size room we'll need for all of us. It will still be much cheaper for her and we're spending what we would anyway. Plus it sounds like a blast!

bpmorley
03-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Great topic and timely too.

We took my brother, his wife and 3 boys a few years ago. We didn't charge them but they offered to pay to stock the room with groceries and surprised us by buying us dinner at Coral Reef. It was a great trip.

I've taken my mom at no cost.

This year we're going with a family who are friends (not family). I'm trying to rent points which I've never done before so we'll see how it goes. My plan is to use my points to get the accomodations I normally would and then have her pay for the rental of points to upgrade to the size room we'll need for all of us. It will still be much cheaper for her and we're spending what we would anyway. Plus it sounds like a blast!

JJ, a few people brought that point up. Have the people you're bringing pay the difference in room size. I don't think that is totally unfair.

robinb
03-28-2006, 04:18 PM
We have invited family a lot, but we never *asked* them to contribute. They have volunteered a meal here or there and that was fine with me. I was a bit peeved when my BIL and his wife came with their two kids prior to 1999 and they had a free room and free park tickets for the adults and they didn't even buy us a single meal. Let's just say they have not been invited back since.

ETA: I guess in the future I will ask my guests to pay for 1/2 of our meal plan.

ILoveMyDVC
03-28-2006, 08:17 PM
We invite people (my mom or friends) almost every trip. It adds tremendously to our enjoyment. However, it doesn't require us to get a bigger room. (we get the 2 bedroom for the four of us, so there is plenty of space).
I'd like to add that I am troubled to see so many people in financial trouble real or perceived (hint: if you go to WDW 3 times a year, you are not broke) paying for DVC points. It's a luxury item - not a necessity. I received some advice from an original DVC member on Prodigy way back when we first decided to join. I was fairly young with a new family and not so certain we could handle the payments. He was a lawyer from Illinois with 3 children (the last 2 were twins) and Iíve always wondered what happened to him. Anyway, he said that not buying into the DVC was not the end of the world. And as much as I have enjoyed our membership and I was very, very lucky to have been able to make those payments once I became a single mom, I know now that it would not have been the end of the world to have postponed joining or maybe not joined at all. Having 11+ years on the bbs, Iíve learned that reality can be distorted here in the virtual world. Reading the bbs, one would think EVERYONE makes multiple trips to WDW, EVERYONE is a DVC member or at least a Grand Floridian concierge guest with endless amounts of money to throw at $200 Breathless trips and $100 breakfasts. It becomes a game of keeping up with the Jones. Most people in this country NEVER make it once to WDW. And so many of those who are lucky enough to visit, go once in a lifetime.

zalansky
03-28-2006, 09:36 PM
We are going Labor Day weekend with DH's family for my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary (which is in June and we are throwing them a party for that as well)...we reserved 3 studios and a one bedroom (for us), the studios go to 1)in-laws 2)SIL who is single but taking a friend and 3)BIL who is taking his girlfriend. We are not charging the in-laws for their room however we ARE charging the SIL and BIL $10 per point for their rooms. We did not set the trip up as an invite. A trip to WDW was brought up and we offered to use our points so we could get better accomodations (they wanted to stay at a value or moderate)...but it was made clear this was no freebie for the sister and brother. They have plenty of $ and can afford it, while we haven't even made our first DVC payment yet! The money they give us will go to DVC to pay down our balance. Flame away if you like...but also let me add BIL and SIL (and even my MIL) are not my most favorite people in this world!

bom_noite
03-28-2006, 09:40 PM
This is really terrible! Most of my family lives in and around Florida (though none in Orlando area).

We have never told them we own at DVC. We visit them every few years - but - when we go to DVC it is our time.

So, we have kept it as our little secret.

SoCalKDG
03-29-2006, 12:39 AM
We always travel on Saturday, get to WDW late, thus stay at Pop 1st night. We normally book a 1 bedroom from Sunday to the following Tuesday(9 nights). If family/friends is coming with us we will bump up to a 2 bedroom for Sunday to Friday and that portion of the trip is on us(actual cost is less than $400 so why not).

Family/friends then have the option of

A) Ending their vacation and going home as we move to a 1 bedroom or try another deluxe on cash

B) Family moves to a hotel room and continues vacation through the weekend

C) They pay for the extra points over the weekend through Monday/Tuesday and we stay where we are.

CapeCodFam
03-29-2006, 06:32 AM
I ask myself: would I write them a big check for no reason or to pay for CRO..?? If it were my parents, Yes. Anyone else, no. Same w/DVC. Even though we don't actually 'see' the money, it still costs huge...

MyGoofy26
03-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Not an owner yet (end of summer if all goes well *crossing fingers* otherwise sometimes this fall)

I can see both sides - the people that do and don't treat family and friends. I already have ideas in my head about who I'm going to "share" trips with, just because I know they aren't obligating me and would truly appreciate it. It makes you feel good to do something so nice for someone who doesn't expect it. But that's the thing. . . it kind of kills the buzz when it's *expected* and it turns from you doing a nice thing to doing what you're "required" to do.

Hollymom1229
03-29-2006, 11:52 AM
My family has started batting around the idea of a family trip in a couple of years. DH and I have offered up our DVC points to help defray the costs for everyone. We'll be charging $100 per person for the use of DVC, which will cover airfare and dining plan for DH and I. I don't think we are being unreasonable. I love my family, but they are all comfortable financially, while DH and I are the young ones. While we are financially secure they are comfortable, so I don't think we are being unreasonable to charge them what amounts to $20 per person per night for a deluxe room on property.

bpmorley
03-29-2006, 12:14 PM
This board is almost like the renting one. There are DVC members that rent to strangers for profit and there are owners that won't rent and don't think you should be able to rent. We all understand that you can't own DVC and be broke, but there are different levels of money. We were able to scrape by and make the payments on our first contract. Then we came into some money and bought the second. But that's it. We still live week to week. We're not broke, but we're certainly not rich. We may be expecting our first child soon. I'm just glad we were able to buy DVC before that happened. now if I want to charge people who invite themselves on my vacation, that is my prerogative. If I invite someone then i don't expect anything. Everyone is different. Some people are just skimming by and can't afford to take people unless they pay. That's just the way it is

mamatojon
03-29-2006, 12:58 PM
This is really terrible! Most of my family lives in and around Florida (though none in Orlando area).

We have never told them we own at DVC. We visit them every few years - but - when we go to DVC it is our time.

So, we have kept it as our little secret.

You're not alone, I'll be terrible with you! LOL. My dad lives in Ocala, and the thought of visiting him once/twice a year is unbearable. I love him dearly, but he is definitely a person that absence makes the heart grow fonder of. We just butt heads constantly. So he doesn't know about DVC and we will just plan a week with him every other year or so *before* DVC, because I still want to see him, just not that much! :thumbsup2

pouncingpluto
03-29-2006, 01:06 PM
For us, it would depend on the situation. If I invited my parents, I wouldn't ask them to pay anything. But if we had a great big family reunion and got a grand villa for it, I would ask people to chip in, because DVC is essentially our vacation fund, and using that many points would mean we had used three years of our fund!

If we go with some friends our age (we're a young married couple, no kids), and get a two-bedroom for us all to share, I'd want them to pay for the difference between a one-bedroom and a two-bedroom. But if that couple had just fallen on hard times, we would probably just be happy to give them a fun time and not ask for any reimbursement.

bpmorley
03-29-2006, 01:11 PM
We're in the same boat. We recently married, no kids. We're studio people, that way we can go more or stay longer. If I invite someone it's on me, but if they invite themselves they are paying

mamatojon
03-29-2006, 01:17 PM
We have a different sort of "thing" about money in our family. Our parents don't even like accepting holiday gifts from us, I can't imagine that they would be okay with *not* paying something. My MIL/FIL have just assumed that they would be reimbursing us somehow for the upgrade to the 2BR this fall, either by buying our park tickets or giving us cash... not sure how they are going to do it but I would bet money on it that they will overcompensate because that is just how they are. And we can not refuse, LOL. That would be insulting. Same with my mom, although we don't have any plans to take her as she just doesn't "get" Disney. (Can you imagine!? :confused: )

My sister is disabled and hates Florida, so she doesn't want to come, although she would take a free vacation if it were somewhere she wanted to go. With the exeption of one of my husband's siblings, all would be very very uncomfortable with a gift of that size. For so long when we were all younger we were so broke and never exchanged gifts other than homemade stuff, even though we can afford to now it has become something that is tradition, we just don't give eachother big things. One year I tried buying everyone gifts and you should have seen the reaction, I went back to baking real quick, LOL. For our planned big trip they want to pay me my point cost, so we arrived at $6/pt for the cost over and above what we would spend on a 1BR and divided it out 3 ways between the 3 families - that equals about $500 per family for a 9 nt stay. Seems fair to me and they actually think they should be paying more! I have to tell them I'm not going to make a profit off of family, LOL. MIL/FIL are thinking about buying DVC so that should make things a bit easier, they wouldn't charge a cent for the room (just as I won't for my kids when they are older either).

Now that other SIL... she's a different story, LOL. She'd take the room and be offended that you didn't pay her air/passes too. I can just hear her saying, "How am I supposed to come up with that kind of money???" Then she'd cancel two days before we left. :sad2:

Amy&Dan
03-29-2006, 02:40 PM
I'd like to add that I am troubled to see so many people in financial trouble real or perceived (hint: if you go to WDW 3 times a year, you are not broke) paying for DVC points. It's a luxury item - not a necessity. I received some advice from an original DVC member on Prodigy way back when we first decided to join. I was fairly young with a new family and not so certain we could handle the payments. He was a lawyer from Illinois with 3 children (the last 2 were twins) and Iíve always wondered what happened to him. Anyway, he said that not buying into the DVC was not the end of the world. And as much as I have enjoyed our membership and I was very, very lucky to have been able to make those payments once I became a single mom, I know now that it would not have been the end of the world to have postponed joining or maybe not joined at all. Having 11+ years on the bbs, Iíve learned that reality can be distorted here in the virtual world. Reading the bbs, one would think EVERYONE makes multiple trips to WDW, EVERYONE is a DVC member or at least a Grand Floridian concierge guest with endless amounts of money to throw at $200 Breathless trips and $100 breakfasts. It becomes a game of keeping up with the Jones. Most people in this country NEVER make it once to WDW. And so many of those who are lucky enough to visit, go once in a lifetime.

I am not sure I completely understand your point. Are you saying that people like me, who go 3 times per year, but don't feel in the financial position to give our points to others for free, have no business owning DVC? I think you might be referring to me since I posted I go three times a year but don't have the money to finance others vacations :confused3 . In any case, there is a big difference between me affording to go to WDW with my husband and kids, 3 times a year and not desiring to, or having the resources to treat others (outside my parents and my fil) to a trip to WDW. To me, treating my friends and family would give them the impression I have soooo much money, or how else could I afford to do this? That sounds a lot more like a "keeping up with the Jones" attitude than just being honest and up front that yeah, I can afford to do a lot of things for myself but not everybody else. And you are right, DVC is luxury item. I bought my points which cost almost exactly the same amount as the new minivan I test drove right before our trip when we bought DVC. When I toured SSR and thought about the times my husband and I could enjoy there with our two kids, my current minivan never looked so good! Thank God we had decided to buy a new car after vacation! We all have luxury items that we could do without, mine is my DVC, my friend who wants to use my DVC for free has hers parked in her garage. Her choice, she can always trade that car in for a klunker, buy a DVC share and we can all go to WDW together on our own respective points. I certainly have never asked her if I can drive her new car for a week so I can experience that firsthand and if I did and she said no, I wouldn't think, uh oh, she clearly shouldn't have bought that car if she can't afford to loan it to me. I have a ton of friends who have season tickets to the Avalanche and Broncos. When they go out of town, sometimes they offer us the tickets, for a price. It has never one time occurred to me to think, hey they pay for those whether they go or I go, why can't they just give them to me? I would never pay that kind of money for sporting event season tickets, and I would never second guess how or why they can afford to. I learned along time ago, we all spend our money differently. What is right for one family is not right for another. And its nobody's business and nobody's right to judge how you use or share your luxuries in life.

I say if people are able to and feel comfortable letting others use their points for free, go for it. If you can't then don't feel guilty about it, say no nicely and enjoy those points that belong to YOU first and foremost.

debbiepump
03-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Wow! I'm the original poster and I'm amazed at all the different thoughts/opinions on this subject. I'll throw a ceveat in this quandry of mine........my sis....who I don't feel I should have to 'ask' to chip in and who has yet to offer (all our kids are grown,etc.)......owns an rv they paid $150,000 for (cash)!! Have we been invited into their 'condo on wheels' as they call it? Nope! I agree with all about taking family/friends, making our trips alot more fun, etc., but I truly don't feel I should has to ask, hint or make any kind of suggestions for any outlay financially.

Amy&Dan
03-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Wow! I'm the original poster and I'm amazed at all the different thoughts/opinions on this subject. I'll throw a ceveat in this quandry of mine........my sis....who I don't feel I should have to 'ask' to chip in and who has yet to offer (all our kids are grown,etc.)......owns an rv they paid $150,000 for (cash)!! Have we been invited into their 'condo on wheels' as they call it? Nope! I agree with all about taking family/friends, making our trips alot more fun, etc., but I truly don't feel I should has to ask, hint or make any kind of suggestions for any outlay financially.

Hello OP! See, thats my point, many of the people who would love dearly to "share" your timeshare have their own little luxury items they probably don't think twice about NOT sharing! What doesn't occur to them, shouldn't have to occur you in my book. Its not like your sister is homeless, terminally ill and that she has one last week in life to enjoy a beautiful condo at WDW but you won't let her! If she wants to go to WDW with you, tell her about Fort Wildnerness, she can park that beautiful RV right there, and you can all tour the parks together and go back at night to the accomodations you each one paid for with your hard earned money! Hey you can even pool hop over to their pool at FW because you are DVC!

Taking family and friends is a wonderful thing, if it makes sense, you can afford it, they are comfortable with you doing it and probably a hundred other variables. So far we have had two stays at SSR and both of them we took family. Our parents are old and sick and I am sad to say they probably won't ever be able to go back and therefore we won't ever have to wonder "can we afford this, do we have enough points" etc. I just paid off the credit card I used for those trips and it was almost bittersweet. I wouldn't trade those trips for anything and if it worked out and they could go again, I would do it again and find a way to make it happen like I did last time. However, I consider those trips completely separate from what I feel the need to do for other family members and friends. My own sister has basically stated since I did it for our mom I should do it for her. I didn't get invited by her to cruise when she won a 7 day cruise for two awhile back. She took her son which is exactly who I take to SSR with me! If she can't see the absurdity of comparing what I would do for our dying mother, I certainly can't explain it to her. She has finally stopped bringing it up which is good for both of us because frankly it got old and made me more determined not to take her since she kept bringing it up all the time.

I say just tell your sister you don't have enough points for anything larger than what your own family can stay in or whatever you think is right. If this upsets or angers her, she can get happy in the same clothes she got mad in! My grandma used to say that and she was right!

bpmorley
03-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Now that other SIL... she's a different story, LOL. She'd take the room and be offended that you didn't pay her air/passes too. I can just hear her saying, "How am I supposed to come up with that kind of money???" Then she'd cancel two days before we left. :sad2:

Cause you're really putting a strain on her by inviting her to Disney World. Wish I had problems like that

Muushka
03-29-2006, 03:56 PM
All of these posts makes me wonder if a portion of 'family and friends' simply do not understand that bringing them along with you is actually costing points (which in my book translates into money)?

flechette
03-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Thinking hard about it - I really can't picture asking my family to chip for anything: mainly because we usually stay with family when we visit them and we're never allowed to give them money or pay for a dinner- something we offer everytime we're there. So it would really be nice to have something to offer back as a thank you pixiedust:

Friends are another matter tho - even if they are the family of the heart :grouphug: I just had one friend offer up my suv for a trip to another city for a group of 6.

1) I have an Escape Hybrid - it don't fit no 6 adults

2) the person offering my SUV weighs - literally- 500+lbs, my poor SUV strains mightly when he's in it around town - 70 miles or so on an interstate? <shudder>

I replied that a) 6 don't fit and b) hubby and I have noticed performance issues with heavy loads and would prefer to avoid that on the highway for long distances.

Friends' response " well X and I will grab a ride with M's SUV then"

ummm, errr, huh? :badpc: what part of avoiding heavy loads was unclear? He and his GF weigh close to 800 lbs combined and they each have a car so why am I getting picked on? yes this is one of the friends I'm worried about when we become DVC owners

adding insult to injury - anytime he's ridden in my SUV he's complained about how uncomfortable it is for a good 10 minutes after he gets out. :rolleyes2

He has a good heart, he takes in anyone that needs a place to stay no matter how short an aquaintance, he is a good friend but darnit I feel like he's being pushy.

<sigh> I guess the point of this mini rant is that some of us would like to be generous but know that said generousity won't be appreciated and will likely be taken advantage off so we hesitate to even start cause we know the likely end result.

Did that make any sense?

JLS
03-29-2006, 04:14 PM
I think the previous poster nailed the problem - many friends/family think "oh, you just have these points" and so the mentality is that it costs us nothing. Most people are more familiar with the traditional timeshare mentality where your week is already paid for and if not used, the place would just sit empty. Obviously DVC is much different.

This May will be our first trip with our baby, and the first in 2 years. Our trip is costing approximately 400 points. We are doing 3 nights in Vero Beach in 1 bedroom, and my best friend will be coming along. Then we are doing 9 nights in a 2 bedroom at BCV. For a portion of that time my friend will be there, and for the last weekend my mom and sister will be there.

We would have stayed in a 1 bedroom the whole time if it was just my husband and me and our baby. In total, it is costing us about 80 additional points to get a 2 bedroom at BCV, or $800 on the rental market. We have decided to have my friend pay us $50 per night for accommodations for the 7 nights she will be with us, so we will recoup almost 1/2 of that money. It is an arbitrary number, and below the value of rental, but it seems right to me.

I cannot bring myself to charge my mother and sister for use of points right now. They are struggling to pay for airfare and food/tickets, and my mom just lost her husband (my dad), so I don't feel right about asking her to pay. We make much more money than my mom or sister and we can comfortably afford to "treat" them by paying the difference between a 1 and 2 bedroom.

My advice is: DO WHAT YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH, but be upfront with people if you are wanting them to reimburse you. Or you could say something like, "rather than renting out our extra points we are going to use them to cover your room.... so no cost to you, but I'll "let" you take us out to dinner."

bpmorley
03-29-2006, 04:23 PM
<sigh> I guess the point of this mini rant is that some of us would like to be generous but know that said generousity won't be appreciated and will likely be taken advantage off so we hesitate to even start cause we know the likely end result.

Did that make any sense?

makes tons of sense. One of the points brought up earlier was that if someone invites themselves they should be paying full price. If you invite someone, unless otherwise arranged, you shouldn't be charging. but I know for sure that if I get "well we'll just go with you because you have the place for free" My reply will be sure, we'll be using 120 pts and @ $10/point you can give me $1200 and you're more than welcome. I personally don't have this problem, but I know plenty that do.

Bill K
03-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Our first family reunion trip home we did sit down and hashed out a figure. The families had such a great time that now we just handle our own expenses to get there and split the common food bills. We all have such a good time, it feels great being able to share the moment together... :grouphug:

mamatojon
03-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Cause you're really putting a strain on her by inviting her to Disney World. Wish I had problems like that

Huh? I'm not sure I get what you are saying. I'm of the opinion that if you can't afford the trip then don't take it. Invited or not, there are a ton of expenses that you simply can't expect others to pick up. I don't see how planning a big family trip equals putting a strain on her. Should we invite everyone else and just exclude her? How would that feel? If I were her I'd simply say "I hope you all have fun, it's not in my budget at this time though!" and leave it at that. What I'm getting at with her is that there is an *expectation* that she *deserves* or is *entitled* to go since others can and everybody else needs to somehow make it happen for her. There is obviously a whole lot of other history that you aren't privy to here, so I probably shouldn't even have mentioned her at all.

pearlieq
03-29-2006, 04:53 PM
We would never dream of charging friends and family to share our DVC accomodations, but on the other hand, we'de never dream of allowing someone else to "invite themselves along" on our vacation.

If someone goes with us, it's always our idea and our invitation. I don't think I know anyone presumptuous enough to assume we'd put them up, and if they did they wouldn't have that presumption for long! :rotfl2:

I would expect any guests to cover their own expenses, and frankly I'd also be expecting some kind of thank you--covering dinner one night, providing something for the room, or even a thoughtful note.

Amy&Dan
03-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Huh? I'm not sure I get what you are saying. I'm of the opinion that if you can't afford the trip then don't take it. Invited or not, there are a ton of expenses that you simply can't expect others to pick up. I don't see how planning a big family trip equals putting a strain on her. Should we invite everyone else and just exclude her? How would that feel? If I were her I'd simply say "I hope you all have fun, it's not in my budget at this time though!" and leave it at that. What I'm getting at with her is that there is an *expectation* that she *deserves* or is *entitled* to go since others can and everybody else needs to somehow make it happen for her. There is obviously a whole lot of other history that you aren't privy to here, so I probably shouldn't even have mentioned her at all.

I think this poster was being sarcastic, saying if its too much strain for her to pay her own transportation when she's getting free accomodations, that's pretty lame. And I believe he is saying he wishes his only problem in life was coming up with the airfare dollars to get him to his freebie DVC digs that his family pays for! I think he's definitely on your side ;) .

bpmorley
03-29-2006, 05:52 PM
I think this poster was being sarcastic, saying if its too much strain for her to pay her own transportation when she's getting free accomodations, that's pretty lame. And I believe he is saying he wishes his only problem in life was coming up with the airfare dollars to get him to his freebie DVC digs that his family pays for! I think he's definitely on your side ;) .
If I'm the he you're talking about then you got it right. But feel free to invite me. I'll get my own airfare and park ticket. Unless we go before June 20th, then my AP is still good. I'll even through in a free mcmuffin with the invite. How's that for being grateful. lol

bpmorley
03-29-2006, 06:17 PM
You did get it right Amy & Dan. I am on their side. I think anyone that would complain about a free vacation should be told to not bother coming.

Amy&Dan
03-29-2006, 06:34 PM
If I'm the he you're talking about then you got it right. But feel free to invite me. I'll get my own airfare and park ticket. Unless we go before June 20th, then my AP is still good. I'll even through in a free mcmuffin with the invite. How's that for being grateful. lol

Well, hey if you are throwing in free McMuffins I would totally spring for your accomodations! Unfortunately, I don't have enough points though (that's what I tell everybody)! :rotfl2:

bpmorley
03-29-2006, 07:34 PM
Well, hey if you are throwing in free McMuffins I would totally spring for your accomodations! Unfortunately, I don't have enough points though (that's what I tell everybody)! :rotfl2:

Good, some other people have to learn how to say no. On another note, how do you get a picture in your signature?

mamatojon
03-29-2006, 08:12 PM
You did get it right Amy & Dan. I am on their side. I think anyone that would complain about a free vacation should be told to not bother coming.

I'm so sorry I misunderstood you! I've been so worn out with this particular person lately (a whole lot of stuff completely unrelated to WDW) and I'm feeling a little defensive I think. Some people seem to think that because I'm a stay at home mom I should stay at home to do things for them, LOL. Argh. Anyways, I completely see how you wrote that now and sorry for jumping down your throat! :blush:

bpmorley
03-29-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm so sorry I misunderstood you! I've been so worn out with this particular person lately (a whole lot of stuff completely unrelated to WDW) and I'm feeling a little defensive I think. Some people seem to think that because I'm a stay at home mom I should stay at home to do things for them, LOL. Argh. Anyways, I completely see how you wrote that now and sorry for jumping down your throat! :blush:
Dont' sweat it. I'm not a thin skinned person. And it's tough to tell tone of voice on boards and emails and such. Sounds like you have to get away from that person. And on that note of being expected to do everything because you're home, start saying no. I was injured on the job a couple years ago. I was out 9 months. I had therapy 3 times a week for an hour each time. Everyone thought that meant I could run their errands for them. That got old real quick. A few things a day to break the boredom is one thing, but some requests were just absurd. SO JUST SAY NO!!!!!!!!

mamatojon
03-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Dont' sweat it. I'm not a thin skinned person. And it's tough to tell tone of voice on boards and emails and such. Sounds like you have to get away from that person. And on that note of being expected to do everything because you're home, start saying no. I was injured on the job a couple years ago. I was out 9 months. I had therapy 3 times a week for an hour each time. Everyone thought that meant I could run their errands for them. That got old real quick. A few things a day to break the boredom is one thing, but some requests were just absurd. SO JUST SAY NO!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I needed that! :goodvibes You are so right, and I am getting better at the just say no thing. It's the guilt trips that follow that really get me down. But thanks so much for the reminder and validation! :thumbsup2

mommyceratops
03-29-2006, 09:34 PM
I am a new member but I invited my cousins to join us (they have never been) and asked for $50 a night from them. It is cheaper than All Stars...They declined my offer but $50 is what I felt comfortable with.

Amy&Dan
03-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Good, some other people have to learn how to say no. On another note, how do you get a picture in your signature?

I went to www.photobucket.com to put my picture in there but I cannot remember how I did it after that, if you go to the technical board it tells you how. My husband had to help me big time, I am terrible at stuff like that!

Amy&Dan
03-29-2006, 10:05 PM
. Some people seem to think that because I'm a stay at home mom I should stay at home to do things for them, LOL.

Oh my, don't even get me started on that one! Come to think of it, the two people who always want to use my points, ask me about it in between giving me grief for being a stay home mom. I have learned to be comfortable with both my SAHM status and keeping my points to myself. I think there will simply always be people who want more than you can give to them, so you might as well learn to have boundries sooner rather than later. Good luck!

bpmorley
03-30-2006, 05:53 AM
I am a new member but I invited my cousins to join us (they have never been) and asked for $50 a night from them. It is cheaper than All Stars...They declined my offer but $50 is what I felt comfortable with.
Was it because of the $50 per night? or was it because they didn't want to go? If it was because of the $50/night they're better off not being in Disney

bpmorley
03-30-2006, 05:55 AM
I went to www.photobucket.com to put my picture in there but I cannot remember how I did it after that, if you go to the technical board it tells you how. My husband had to help me big time, I am terrible at stuff like that!
Thanks I'll give it a try. I was trying to put a small wedding photo in there

zalansky
03-30-2006, 07:04 AM
Oh my, don't even get me started on that one! Come to think of it, the two people who always want to use my points, ask me about it in between giving me grief for being a stay home mom. I have learned to be comfortable with both my SAHM status and keeping my points to myself. I think there will simply always be people who want more than you can give to them, so you might as well learn to have boundries sooner rather than later. Good luck!

That's what I was thinking too!

bobbiwoz
03-30-2006, 07:27 AM
Both my DMom and DSis have contributed to our point total. Once they realized that we would invite them, often, to join us at WDW for grand events, (like this great vacation coming up in August), they understood that it was costing us something, and ASKED to contribute. We are fortunate. DMom asked that we share our blessings when she "goes" and there's no doubt that we will.

Having their contribution or not, there is no way that I could not have invited them to the upcoming VWL trip. DMom doesn't see DGGC (ages 1,2,3) that often, and this is their first trip to WDW!!! My DSis is the best Auntie in the world!!

Bobbi :love:

golfnut1264
03-30-2006, 01:28 PM
We would never dream of charging friends and family to share our DVC accomodations, but on the other hand, we'de never dream of allowing someone else to "invite themselves along" on our vacation.

I would expect any guests to cover their own expenses, and frankly I'd also be expecting some kind of thank you--covering dinner one night, providing something for the room, or even a thoughtful note.

you see that is the difference between us I dont EXPECT anything from my family and friends...it is all decided on before the trip...i make there ressie and they pay me and save about 70% off normal rack rate...
but when you say you expect dinner or something than you mine as well just charge them so you arent dissapointed when they give you nothing...
if you expect something in return for giving someone a free vaction than you should nt make statements like "you would never dream of"....a little hypocritical to me.....

kimberh
03-30-2006, 05:21 PM
I am a new DVC owner, just made my first ressie. It has never dawned on me that someone, family or friends would expect me to pay for THEIR Disney vacation. We have been to Disney so many times that I have lost count. We are not rich, I have a son in college so I have that expense, I also have had 3 sets of braces, 2 weddings and 2 grandchildren. The point is life goes on and noone has helped us pay for it but us. We have had some moocher friends along the way and I just have to tell you, it gets old after a year or two. When you are always picking up the check and you are the one with the family at home ( they were childless) something has to give. I do not miss them in the least. I learned a long time ago that people have money to spend on what THEY want to spend it on. I would never Charge my children and grandchildren or elderly parents to come stay with us, that is why we bought it. I just don't think anyone else qualifies for that honor now if I could help them save money I would be more than happy to do so but to give it away I don't think so. I feel for all that have to fly, your cost is so much more we do drive.

MareQ
03-30-2006, 06:01 PM
I think that it all depends on who did the inviting. If we invite friends or family, we bite the bullet and use our points to pay for the rooms. But they are responsible for food and tickets. We make that known up front when we invite them. Now if they start inviting themselves, that is a completely different story. I think that I would use previous advice and charge them $10 a point for the difference of any upgrade you need to make.

Ditto for us although we wouldn't allow anybody to invite themselves - period. My points so I get to choose how and when they are used.

Dale-n-Chip
04-03-2006, 11:11 PM
OK, I'll bite. . . :stir:

When we bought, we bought only enough points for **US** (immediate family, three people) to vacation at WDW for around a week each year in a 1BR. We didn't buy enough to take other people with us. With 200 points, there aren't many times of year we can "afford" a 1BR for a full week at SSR, our home resort (Adventure and Choice seasons only)! You can't stay ANYTIME ANYWHERE for a week in a 2BR for 200 points, period.

I purchased enough for us and if we decide to invite others along, well, we'll have to figure out how to get that paid for at the time, since we'll have to rent points from somebody. Having to rent points makes it a cash outlay rather than simply "using our timeshare."

Of course, we haven't had to test my theory yet, since we only joined in Nov. . . but that's my theory, anyway. Obviously, YMMV.

bobbiwoz
04-04-2006, 07:30 AM
We had friends who had never been to WDW and we invited them along with some family members this past December. We booked a studio at the VWL for each group and it turned out great. No, we do not expect or want anything in return, but they did treat us to dinner and wrote a lovely thank you note.

These friends know that we are thinking of having an 40th anniversary family get together at WDW in 2 years. She asked if I could arrange for them to be there. She made it clear that she wanted to pay. At this point, for her at least, going to WDW WITH US is what the attraction is. When we get closer to the date, 11 months out, I'll explain to her about transferring points and if it works out for them to pay for the points transferred, that's fine. We didn't expect to give friends a room to stay for this celebration. We will have a party for friends and relatives at our CM home as well. As a family we like to celebrate!

Just as I don't expect stay over guests to our Cape May home to cough up some of the expenses of taxes, maintenance, etc., when I invite them, I don't expect money to change hands when I invite people to our WDW home. A letter of thanks is good manners, and we have received some beautiful ones.

Bobbi :)

goofy4tink
04-04-2006, 08:11 AM
My dd and I are going to travel to WDW in Oct with another mom and her dd, to celebrate the two girls' 13th birthdays. I have booked a boardwalk view 2 bdrm villa for us. I didn't suggest this trip with the intent that the other mom pay anthing towards our villa. However, she is the type who really wants to pay her way. She asked me to figure what it would cost her to book her room herself through Disney and then charge her that. Well, she is staying in the 'studio' part, but will obviously have use of the washer/dryer and full kitchen and living room area. No way was I charging her what she would have paid. We are going from Sat-Thursday. I told her to give me $800...she said that was too little, told her that was all I was taking, plain and simple. I don't think she was happy, but she can pick up some meals if she wants to.

I really think that if family members/friends go with you (or use your points for a stay by themselves) they should feel that they should pay for something. Maybe something towards the room costs or dining, but it shouldn't be a free ride. Heavens, if I travel to visit my brother in Seattle, I always buy several meals out when we are there. It's only polite...why would using DVC pts. be any different.

CrzyforPiglet
04-04-2006, 03:13 PM
We are taking my sister, her boyfriend, my niece, and mom with us to WDW in early May and staying in a 2BR at SSR. To be honest until my sister asked me how much I wanted towards the room and seeing this thread it hadn't even occured to me to charge my family to stay with us. We knew when we bought into DVC that we would want to take a couple of extended family trips and love that we're able to do it. I told my sister that we weren't expecting anything for the room and that if they wanted to treat us to a dinner that would be great and if not, that was fine too. For me the memories of a family vacation (which we never had growing up) is worth more than anything.

Laurie

zalansky
04-04-2006, 09:34 PM
Take into consideration the relationships we have with those who are invited (by us or themselves) to our DVC "homes". I would not think of charging my best friend, my sisters, or my father. But those people are all people who have done tons for me over the years and I have a close relationship with. With my in-laws and dh's sister and brother - I have no closeness at all, neither does my dh for goodness sakes! We are not charging my in-laws for their room because they have helped us here and there but sis in-law and bro in-law have never done a nice thing for us, ever! Hence, they will get charged the $10 per point. If they tried to even be close with us maybe things would be different but they don't make any effort. But hey, that's another thread!

Amy&Dan
04-04-2006, 10:47 PM
I agree with the above poster, it all boils down to the relationship you have with somebody BEFORE you bought your DVC. My parents, love em to death, have travelled with them for years and now that they are older and not able to afford to travel, it was a given for me and my husband to not charge them one cent. For my sister who I also love dearly but have never travelled with, who doesn't hesitate to tell me how annoying my kids are (still have no idea why she would even want to travel with us except of course to get a freebie) and who has never done anything for me or our mother when we might have needed it, well that's a different story. I love her but I don't feel I owe her the same privilidges my parents have earned. I also think it depends on who does the inviting. For people who invite others to join them, then yes, you are obligated to pay unless you specify they are invited to join you for a certain amount. However, when you have somebody in your life who has no qualms about inviting themselves, again, whole different story. Frankly, as soon as my sister and my friend assumed they could come along for free, I assumed they were the last people on earth who deserved such special treatment. I also agree that not everyone has enough points to share. You can't share what you don't have. If my husband and I were a couple with no kids, we might invite another couple along with us to share a one bedroom. But our two kids make it impossible to share anything under a two bedroom. And lastly, for my family, we go to WDW for quality time together. Between school and work we have very little time to hang out just the four of us. So its also a matter of me not wanting to share important family time, not just my points. We all have different situations, so to say " I can't imagine not letting others use my points" is merely a personal decision based upon a personal situation. Not something that can be expected to work for everyone.

flechette
04-05-2006, 10:45 AM
What Amy&Dan said!

Very Eloquent!

Muushka
04-05-2006, 03:12 PM
What Amy&Dan said!

Very Eloquent!
:thumbsup2 Yuppers, very well said!