PDA

View Full Version : SSR blows OKW out of the water

Tigger031266
03-25-2006, 09:42 PM
I honestly believe the SSR is way better than OKW. Lets face it they have similarities (golf course, drive up, no hallway, very large, exclusively DVC)...

But lets way these 2 out

OKW Pluses (Only 1)
- Rooms are Less points

OKW Minuses
- Feels like old age home. No Disney magic, may as well buy a condo in central Florida
- Busy Roads next to some rooms

SSR Pluses
- Pleasure Island - feel some life!!
- Adventurers Club
- Style of buldings
- Better Work out Room
- Better Pool
- Great restaurants at DTD
- Newer

SSR Minuses
- Need better on-site restaurant
- Too Big

Tell me where I am wrong???

Jen D
03-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Awww, man, I am so not going there.... :rotfl2:

NJOYURLIFE
03-25-2006, 10:06 PM
I honestly don't get why people need to put down other resorts. I think all of the resorts on property are beautiful and have their own good things.

We have stayed at both resorts and enjoyed them both. To say that OKW has only one benefit though is really.....oops, my mother taught me that if I didn't have anything good to say, then to keep my mouth closed. I think I'll listen to her.

jdvm
03-25-2006, 10:08 PM
You're certainly entitled to your view and I'm glad you like Saratoga Springs. It's a beautiful resort. My family has been spending 4-6 weeks per year at Old Key West since 1992 and have been extremely happy there. There's not much sense in giving you a laundry list of why we prefer Old Key West. You have your reasons and we have ours. Let's just respect each other's views and not try to convince the rest of the world that we're right and they're wrong.

SueOKW
03-25-2006, 10:23 PM
In the meantime, I'll go have a boat drink...

on my verandah........... :sunny:

No DVC resort can be compared to the other. Haven't you learned? :rolleyes2

lizanne
03-26-2006, 01:07 AM
The most we paid for our points at OKW was $56.00. That's a plus

But I have stayed at SSR and really liked the room furnishings. I do prefer Olivia's to AP, but I understand that they were going to make a TS restraurant in the Turf Club.

Either one is fine with me.

Sarnia
03-26-2006, 05:40 AM
I guess that you are trying to restore the balance due to all of the negative SSR propoganda that a vocal minority have insisted on repeating over and over and over. Honestly though, everybody has different likes and dislikes, so things that you find much more appealing may be meaningless to others.

Whatever your good intentions, ultimately your post is on the same level as the SSR bashing posts, as it's really just stating your personal feelings.

smjj
03-26-2006, 06:31 AM
Sounds like someone is putting down OKW to help justify their decision to purchase at SSR. I have never stayed at SSR but I am sure it is very nice and fits your needs. I am happy for you. Trust your decision and leave it at that. Meanwhile, I will stay in my much larger room and park right outside my door at OKW...smjj

BillPA
03-26-2006, 07:39 AM
I totally agree, don't anyone ever stay at OKW again, especially in a GV at least not until I can get the next big family trip booked. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Thanks to all the SSR supporters that will help us book our OKW GV :wizard: :wizard:

CarolA
03-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Whatever your good intentions, ultimately your post is on the same level as the SSR bashing posts, as it's really just stating your personal feelings.

:cheer2:

PapaBear06
03-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Our Family loves OKW. However, We bought at SSR for 1 reason and 1 reason only. 12 Extra Years. That is what I love about SSR.

To us that is huge.

Dean
03-26-2006, 11:26 AM
I prefer OKW but you should stay where you prefer. Many of your points are personal preference, my preferences are obviously different. If you feel exactly as you posted, I have no problem with it. If you exaggerated to get a rise out of people for whatever reason, shame on you. I'd say that there are certain unarguable issues in favor of OKW. Less points, larger rooms and larger more useful kitchen, esp for larger groups. I can't personally think of one unarguable benefit in favor of SSR compared to OKW or than possibly the pool. Many would say the longer term, we'll see what the costs are in 2042 or so to see if it's a benefit or liability. Personally the location and theming of SSR are not a plus, nor are the facilities at DD/PI, you obviously feel differently which is perfectly OK. You'll get no rise from me as I'll practice what I preach of letting everyone have their opinion of any DVC resort and not considering it bashing unless their factually wrong or untruthful.

elijahpep
03-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Any Disney resort I am in is a GREAT RESORT because it means I am on vacation at Disney........... :cool1:

DH ::MickeyMo

Sammie
03-26-2006, 12:51 PM
I like SSR as much as anyone, however I have never thought that one must put something down in order to make a point.

OKW is a wonderful resort on it's own merit.

Same with all the DVC resorts. They all have good points and all are lacking in something for someone.

Nothing is perfect even at Disney. Anyone that thinks so is delusional.

dallastxcpa
03-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Well, I hate all studios no matter where they are. :lmao: Not that I don't use them, but I would much rather be in a one bedroom. I just can't justify two people in a one bedroom.

SueOKW
03-26-2006, 12:58 PM
I just can't justify two people in a one bedroom.

That must be the CPA in you! :) I managed to justify two people in a 1BR - the tub and the fact that DH could watch TV till late in the evening without keeping me awake.

ETA: of course - it was only 3 nights... we also rented a convertable on that trip - it was a REAL splurge!

Olaf
03-26-2006, 01:16 PM
We have an OKW vacation planned for May and we're really looking forward to it. It will be our first time, and I have really high hopes for a terrific stay. I like the idea of a larger room, being able to park out front, and using fewer points. Also, I took a peak at both resorts during our last visit, and I didn't find OKW any less "Disney" than SSR. :confused3

magicmouse2
03-26-2006, 01:46 PM
It was the stay at OKW that made me want to buy into DVC. I agree with the busy roads being a negative, but the resort itself gave me the experience of really feeling like I was at Key West, and the laid back theme was super. I own at SSR as I ike things that are new. I would not bash OKW *** it is older. I think OKW is very pretty. Just get rid of the pesky golfers ;) It has its pluses as do all DVC resorts. Its like staying in a different part of the USA at each DVC resort. I love that. I honestly could live at OKW if it were possible but couldnt live at SSR. :) Kids loved OKW too so its not just for the old folk.

wanna-b-Tink
03-26-2006, 02:23 PM
The only DVC properties we haven't stayed in yet are VWL and Vero. OKW is our favorite - we love the large rooms, great kitchen, and low point price. On our last trip everything was booked except SSR. We almost decided not to go. We had not yet stayed at SSR, and really had no intention of ever staying there until the final 12 years of our SSR contract. (We own at BWV and BCV too, so don't bash me there.)

Anyway, we surprisingly really enjoyed SSR. I was shocked! OKW is still our favorite, but we won't hesitate in making our ressy at SSR if OKW is booked for our next getaway. Now if we could just manage to get a stay in at VWL...

Rozzie
03-26-2006, 02:29 PM
That must be the CPA in you! :) I managed to justify two people in a 1BR - the tub and the fact that DH could watch TV till late in the evening without keeping me awake.

ETA: of course - it was only 3 nights... we also rented a convertable on that trip - it was a REAL splurge!

Love a 1BR for DH and I for the same reasons! Studio is too crammed for 2 people. I can't imagine 4 in a studio as some people do, but to each their own!

What fun getting a convertible! Maybe that will be our next splurge!! :goodvibes

smjj
03-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Well, I hate all studios no matter where they are. :lmao: Not that I don't use them, but I would much rather be in a one bedroom. I just can't justify two people in a one bedroom.

Hate is a very strong word. The studios at OKW are very large and my wife and I stay in one all the time. Shoot, being married for 34 years you learn to live with a person. I guess we all would love to stay in a large room each trip but staying in the studio fits are needs just fine and allows us to use less points for extra trips. We have saved and banks enough for a family trip in a two bedroom this May with our son and his family and enough left over for the Members cruise this year. This would not have been possible without using our points wisely to save them....smjj

Tigger031266
03-26-2006, 03:26 PM
OK. So after all that only one person had a fact that I missed. The rooms are larger at OKW a definate plus. other than that it is a resort in the middle of no where. I agree people are entitled to there own opinion. Everytime I call, there are two resorts available, OKW and SSR. The only difference is that OKW is done, it is not getting better. SSR will grow, with more restaurants and DTD will grow as well.

By the way all of the DVC resorts are wonderful. I think it is fun to compare and have favorite resorts. These boards are famous for putting down the newest resorts. It was BWV, then BCV and nor SSR (strange, I own at all of these). Soon will be the Contemporary.

Don't take it to heart, just tell me what I am missing at OKW that makes it soooo much better than SSR. I love you guys

Dean
03-26-2006, 03:41 PM
OK. So after all that only one person had a fact that I missed. The rooms are larger at OKW a definate plus. other than that it is a resort in the middle of no where. I agree people are entitled to there own opinion. Everytime I call, there are two resorts available, OKW and SSR. The only difference is that OKW is done, it is not getting better. SSR will grow, with more restaurants and DTD will grow as well.

By the way all of the DVC resorts are wonderful. I think it is fun to compare and have favorite resorts. These boards are famous for putting down the newest resorts. It was BWV, then BCV and nor SSR (strange, I own at all of these). Soon will be the Contemporary.

Don't take it to heart, just tell me what I am missing at OKW that makes it soooo much better than SSR. I love you guysActually, I see SSR getting worse as it grows, not better, just my opinion. Still, we are talking minor differences and personal preference for the most part. But back to the lower points, it's not just lower points but LOWER points. We're talking 25-30% difference for a week for a GV and essentially a 50% difference for weeknights.

DizneyNutz
03-26-2006, 04:12 PM
AMEN! I would have to agree with you, 100%!

SueOKW
03-26-2006, 05:02 PM
"Waitress, I need two more boat drinks".....OKW seems the perfect place for the Buffett lover in me.

:cloud9:

sorry.. i just got back about a week ago and I'm really missing my verandah time.

Of course, personally, I have no issue or care what resort is your favorite. I just need my boat drink!!!!!!! I gotta go where it's WARM!

(i haven't seen JB in 15 years, but boy, that still sticks with me!)

Alice Sr.
03-26-2006, 05:30 PM
We love OKW, we haven't stayed at SSR yet, but I can't imagine that if and when we do our opinion of OKW will change.

utahkennedys
03-26-2006, 05:50 PM
On our first trip to DVC this past Sept. we sure felt like OKW had the "Disney Magic" we were looking for. I have been on 25+ Disney trips, mostly to Poly and moderates, and we LOVED OKW. We were blown away with our 2BR villa and the great, relaxed feel and tropical atmosphere. When we were deciding where to buy, I realized after spending some time on these boards that the only way we could decide was to visit each of them, which is what we did.

Esmerelda
03-10-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm with the OP on this one. I have stayed at all the DVC resorts and SSR is most definitely my entire familys favorite. You are so close to many many cool things...restaurants...Downtown Disney. The bus service was the best I've ever had at any Disney stay, the staff were great...the pool awesome..etc. I could go on and on..but I'll stop.

As they say, different strokes for different folks. I guess if we all liked SSR then OKW wouldn't exist so this is why god makes us all individuals.

Personally, I just like the fact that Disney gives my family and I so MANY wonderful choices as they do for DVC. We always have a good stay every time we go as there are so many families out there less fortunate than ours. We feel very blessed to even have the opportunity. I say any stay at Disney (good or bad) is better than a good day at work!

good day
Esmerelda :)

Cruelladeville
03-10-2007, 08:31 AM
I honestly believe the SSR is way better than OKW. Lets face it they have similarities (golf course, drive up, no hallway, very large, exclusively DVC)..

Tell me where I am wrong???

What?!! OKW IS WONDERFUL!! Let's face it--the grande villa is twice the size, and 1/2 the points. :wizard:

Caskbill
03-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Since you're trying to be picky, you missed a few things.

OKW has a full size kitchen. SSR has an apartment size kitchen, just like all the other WDW DVC resorts. Full size refrigerator with Ice makers at OKW, smaller refrigerators with only Ice cube trays in the other resorts.

OKW has a dining room table you can actually sit down at to eat. Not just a dining counter as part of the kitchen.

OKW, a real laundry room with full size washer/dryer. The other resorts have stackable W/D in a closet.

OKW has a porch you can actually sit out on. Room for the entire group.

Parking at OKW is still closer than parking at SSR.

OKW just feels like a real condo. To me, the others feel like Apartments.

And the size cannot be overstated. Put 8 people in the LR/DR of an OKW 2-B/R unit and there's plenty of room. Sofa's and Chairs for evryone. Try putting 8 people in the LR area of any of the other DVC 2-B/R resorts. You physically can't do it.

We've stayed at all of the DVC resorts, numerous times. I have no fault with any of them. The great thing about DVC is the choices we have. Each resort has it's own plusses and minus'.

We prefer OKW because of some of the things noted above. We still like SSR and all the others.

DVC Grammy
03-10-2007, 09:46 AM
The one thing I absolutely HATE about ALL the DVC resorts is..........

.................having to leave them!:lmao:

WebmasterDoc
03-10-2007, 10:08 AM
It's sometimes a good idea to note the original date for some of these threads. In this case, the thread hadn't had a new post in almost a year old until it was resurrected today.

Simba's Mom
03-10-2007, 02:23 PM
In the meantime, I'll go have a boat drink...

on my verandah........... :sunny:

No DVC resort can be compared to the other. Haven't you learned? :rolleyes2

You mean that HUGE verandah? I think you can invite some friends. I couldn't resist that. Actually, to each his own.

corpcomp
03-10-2007, 03:45 PM
There is no reason this post should even have started. :sad2: Lets keep discussions on topics that are worth while. Every resort has pluses and minuses.

Muushka
03-10-2007, 03:59 PM
There is no reason this post should even have started. :sad2: Lets keep discussions on topics that are worth while. Every resort has pluses and minuses.

Actually there is no reason this post should have been revived. Let sleeping dogs lie!:rolleyes:

kdzgon
03-10-2007, 04:45 PM
As a new owner, I don't mind the thread revivals. I tend to skim the complaints/bashes as they are so trivial when put in to perspective (makes me think "if this is the worst thing about "x"...), but I do like to review all the cheers that invariably get posted in response.

All I know is we'll be at OKW in May, SSR for NY eve, and if all goes well, AKV in late Sept/early Oct. After all, they are all at WDW, so I think we'll be quite content!

mikron
03-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Some people like chocolate and some like strawberry.

BroganMc
03-10-2007, 05:30 PM
OKW has a dining room table you can actually sit down at to eat. Not just a dining counter as part of the kitchen.

OKW, a real laundry room with full size washer/dryer. The other resorts have stackable W/D in a closet.

OKW has a porch you can actually sit out on. Room for the entire group.

Ah, three things I get at my beloved Marriott Cypress Harbour. Honestly, first time I ever stayed there in a timeshare promo (after years of Hampton Inn, Fairfields and Courtyard stays) I thought I'd done an Alice and Wonderland and stepped through a magical rabbit hole.

The Marriott's still have the full size dining table in all their resorts, even though Grande Vista is more an apartment style in balcony and kitchen.

Only thing Disney does better is their 3 bedroom Grand Villas. Those all seem to have the best shared living room layout.

Just thought I'd add more irrelevant data to this silly thread. :lmao:

DisDaydreamer
03-10-2007, 05:39 PM
The only place you are going wrong with is making a comparison between Disney resorts. I am pretty sure Diane is trying find a way to DISband you from these boards (be very careful... she is experienced). Frankly, I don't ever feel any of the resorts don't please me. I love them all. So, apologize to Diane, and acknowledge that you love all the resorts. :thumbsup2

DisDaydreamer
03-10-2007, 05:41 PM
It's sometimes a good idea to note the original date for some of these threads. In this case, the thread hadn't had a new post in almost a year old until it was resurrected today.

GUILTY :sad2:

La2kw
03-10-2007, 05:51 PM
OKW Pluses (Only 1)
- Rooms are Less points
Rooms are larger too.
Spa tubs are real spa tubs.
Balconies actually fit more than two people on them.
Bus service has always been excellent. SSR's ain't bad, but OKW still has the edge.

OKW Minuses
- Feels like old age home. No Disney magic, may as well buy a condo in central Florida We enjoy the Key West theme, landscaping, quiet neighborhood feel. I guess I'm old. :rotfl:
- Busy Roads next to some rooms SSR also has some busy roads next to rooms, but you don't seem to hear the noise as much.

SSR Pluses
- Pleasure Island - feel some life!! Only a quick bus ride away from OKW.
- Adventurers Club
- Style of buldings
- Better Work out Room Agree there!
- Better Pool About the same to me.
- Great restaurants at DTD Very true, but you can also walk or take a boat to DD from OKW.
- Newer True, but OKW is well cared for.

I would add Artist's Palette as a definite plus. OKW sorely needs an indoor food court type place.

SSR Minuses
- Need better on-site restaurant
- Too Big I think it's just right.

Tell me where I am wrong??

We love both resorts and own points at both. We love the size of OKW and the decor of SSR. Both definitely have their pluses and minuses.

Sammie
03-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Humor me everyone, where do people find these old threads. I know the ones that are continued, such as smoking, occupancy etc. are easy to find but I can't find something posted last week, much less last year.

OKW is a great resort, SSR is a great resort, each are different, and different is good. End of discussion. :rotfl:

doubletrouble_vb
03-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Clearly its been a while and I think every resorrt has its plusses even though I dislike the OKW studios (unless I'm traveling with people).

OKW has a gorgeous marina and boat ride to DTD. That main area makes you feel absolutely as if you'd gone away to some beach area for a vacation. I dont get that feeling from SSR...and that makes sense because its supposed to give you the feeling of Saratoga, NY not out in the Hamptons, NY.

Macnjac87
03-11-2007, 03:02 PM
I think we must be a blessed group of people who have the ability to vacation in one of the best spots on earth. All the DVC resorts rock; in different ways; but I love em' all!

aclov
03-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Any Disney resort I am in is a GREAT RESORT because it means I am on vacation at Disney........... :cool1:

I'm with you on this one!:thumbsup2 Right now, I would be happy to sleep in a tent on WDW property:rotfl2:

bzzelady
03-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Order me one of those boat drinks....I'll be right down (okay, so I won't be down for three months to OKW, but the important thing is that exactly three months from now, I will be sitting on one of those verandahs!

Let's face it folks...we are all extremely fortunate to be part of the magic-no matter which resort we stay in!

I agree that it is time to put this thread to bed :)

BroganMc
03-11-2007, 04:12 PM
I agree that it is time to put this thread to bed :)

Awe, you're no fun! From the thread title I expected this to breaking news that SSR has torpedo guns on the overlook to start blasting those OKW ferries out of the lake. Could be fun. :lmao:

Muushka
03-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Awe, you're no fun! From the thread title I expected this to breaking news that SSR has torpedo guns on the overlook to start blasting those OKW ferries out of the lake. Could be fun. :lmao:

I can see it now! The ultimate "resort war"!
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

tigger2on
03-11-2007, 07:55 PM
We own @ SSR but still prefer to stay at OKW for....
- bigger rooms
-parking at the door
- quiet atmosphere

:o)

ADP
03-11-2007, 08:04 PM
We own @ SSR but still prefer to stay at OKW for....
- bigger rooms
-parking at the door
- quiet atmosphere

:o)

Let's not forget lower point totals!

dwelty
03-11-2007, 08:12 PM
One Plus for OKW that you did not mention was that the OKW rooms are far bigger than any other DVC. This is a definite plus in my opinion!

dgaston
03-11-2007, 08:12 PM
] Right now, I would be happy to sleep in a tent on WDW property:rotfl2:

Oh wait! That's how we got the family to WDW on a teacher's salary when the kids were little. The older ones say Fort Wilderness is their favorite resort.

Caskbill
03-11-2007, 10:25 PM

They could drop water balloons from the walkpath bridge that goes from SSR to DD when the boats pass under it......:rotfl2:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Caskbill/BridgeToDD.jpg

OK, there's really no walking bridge. Just some fun with photo editing.

Uncleromulus
03-12-2007, 05:28 AM
OKW--the feel of a real apartment. Just park your car, walk to your front door and you are home!!
SSR has those corridors and elevators, making it more "hotel" like.

SaratogaShan
03-12-2007, 05:47 AM
OKW--the feel of a real apartment. Just park your car, walk to your front door and you are home!!

:lmao: LOL.... I think you are the first person to ever "accuse" SSR of being "hotel like"! :rotfl:

Uncleromulus
03-12-2007, 05:57 AM
No--just more "hotel like" than OKW. There I'm out my front door, and there is my car.
At Saratoga, out my door into a corridor, then an elevator down to a small lobby, out to a parking lot.
"More hotel like"
OKW is more "apartment like". Which is what I like.

Sammie
03-12-2007, 05:46 PM
:lmao: LOL.... I think you are the first person to ever "accuse" SSR of being "hotel like"! :rotfl:

I thought that too, was UncleR even at SSR.:rotfl:

I agree UncleR, it is actually something in between, more closed than OKW, especially when it is pouring rain, but not totally enclosed like a hotel.

mjy
03-12-2007, 05:51 PM

And THAT, after all is said and done, is all that matters: "I am on vacation at Disney!" :thumbsup2

drakethib
03-12-2007, 07:10 PM
That is the great thing about DVC.

There is something for everyone. One person likes are another dislikes.

BroganMc
03-12-2007, 09:40 PM
They could drop water balloons from the walkpath bridge that goes from SSR to DD when the boats pass under it......:rotfl2:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Caskbill/BridgeToDD.jpg

NOW you're talking! Water balloon grenades and torpedo launchers. We could have some real fun with that. :happytv:

OK, there's really no walking bridge. Just some fun with photo editing.

You're reminding me of London's Millenium Bridge spanning the Thames to St. Paul's. Do you think the DTD bridge will sway as well?

Hey, I guess that's another on the wish list for improvement. Next we need a good ol' fashion resort regatta around the lake. Drag POR into it and we can a lot of fun. (Mind you, I wouldn't mind seeing a DVC a POR. That's a theming I really like.)

BroganMc
03-12-2007, 09:44 PM
No--just more "hotel like" than OKW. There I'm out my front door, and there is my car.
At Saratoga, out my door into a corridor, then an elevator down to a small lobby, out to a parking lot.
"More hotel like"
OKW is more "apartment like". Which is what I like.

Well I guess you didn't get to stay in my room last December. In the middle of the building, ground floor and about 20-30 feet from my van. I know because I was busy hauling my bags bag and forth between the two.

I had just come from Marriott's Cypress Harbour (very OKW style) and was down the hall on the 4th floor. That was a real pain hauling bags down the elevator. No carts available because of horders. SSR was a relative dream.

Uncleromulus
03-13-2007, 05:14 AM
Nothing like your room at all. We were on the top floor of the Paddock. Where the was a corridor, an elevator, a small lobby.
NOT a hotel--just more hotel like than OKW!!
Where there is no corridor, no elevator, and no lobby.

4DisneyGolfnuts
03-13-2007, 07:15 AM
I love them all from the All Star to the Polynesian. For the most part people bought where they did because that is what was selling when they bought into DVC. It is all our properties if we are DVC owners with the exception of a few months when we can make ressies. We are all in this together. I just put a contract down on SSR and can't wait to try and visit all of them if possible, but if I stayed everytime at the same resort I would be happy to just be there. Bottom line! We should and I know most do, just be happy for all of us. I mean we get to go to Disney every year with our families. What else can you ask for in life?

Have a Great Day!

Geezer
03-13-2007, 09:15 AM
What is the point of these resort bashing threads? Why would someone bring it back from the dead? It looks like someone is trying to cause trouble. I hope the moderators put this one to bed!

4DisneyGolfnuts
03-13-2007, 09:33 AM
I don't know why anyone would bash anyone else. I think all the resorts are awesome. It is a shame that we are all in the same club and have to feel like putting others down. I am planning a trip right now and can't wait to stay at any resort. I hope no one thought I was bringing it back up. I was hoping to show people that we are all in it to have fun and make great lifetime memories wherever we stay.

Have a great day.

Uncleromulus
03-13-2007, 09:37 AM
And make no mistake--I'm not bashing SSR at all. In fact, I liked it there a lot!!
Just like OKW more, is all.

Scratch42
03-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Ok, I'll add my opinion after my May 19 - 23rd trip!

This will be our first stay at OKW!

It will also be a first trip for my DF DD! It's a surprise 18th Birthday Present!

Love My DVC!

I just made all the arrangements this morning!

j

UConnJack
03-13-2007, 01:30 PM

"Hotel"-like, no SSR certainly isn't that. BWV, VWL, and BCV are hotel-like, which I don't think is a bad thing, in fact I usually prefer it.

SSR is "motel"-like, you know, like the All-Stars or Port Orleans, huge and sprawling with exterior corridors. Actually, I think the comparison to apartments is most appropriate, and not what I think of for a vacation.

When I want a slower vacation from the BWV/BCV/VWL trips, I will pick OKW every day and twice on Sundays. OKW may be "large" resort, but it has an intimacy and charm that SSR does not have, and I doubt ever will.

And I guess therein lies my problem with SSR, when I want an active trip, I stay at BWV/BCV/VWL because when you get down to it, WDW is about the parks. If I want a slower vacation, OKW is the most relaxing due to its location, room size, style, relative intimacy and ambiance. SSR does not feel relaxing due to its overwhelming size (in everyway but room size), smaller rooms, location, and lack of intimacy; but does not fit my active trip requirements either because the only thing it provides easy access to DTD which is at the bottom of my list of WDW activities.

AKV is a bit of an enigma here because it incorporates aspects of all the DVC resorts to date, good and bad (depending on you preferences, of course). Its going to be large, but more hotel-like. It may not have direct park access, but the 3-minute bus to AK is as easy as any boat or walking. I think the large variety of room types and points will be one of it's major advantages, and will have the "exotic" feel that none of the other DVC resorts have (except maybe VWL).

senecabeach
03-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Hey...where are you, ridwinke ?? popcorn:: popcorn::

BroganMc
03-13-2007, 02:17 PM
SSR is "motel"-like, you know, like the All-Stars or Port Orleans, huge and sprawling with exterior corridors. Actually, I think the comparison to apartments is most appropriate, and not what I think of for a vacation.

But... but... but... being a motel they leave the light on for you. What's not to like about that? ;)

but does not fit my active trip requirements either because the only thing it provides easy access to DTD which is at the bottom of my list of WDW activities.

That's the crux of any resort war really. A resort offers proximity to something you either like or dislike.

It can be tedious though fun to have the debates. After all, we're just dissing each other's fetishes.

BroganMc
03-13-2007, 02:27 PM
NOT a hotel--just more hotel like than OKW!!
Where there is no corridor, no elevator, and no lobby.

Well SSR doesn't have lobbies either, but the elevator is a big letdown to me and any other wheelie. I'm stuck staying in a ground floor unit or 4 buildings and only one of the grand villas.

UConnJack
03-13-2007, 05:41 PM
But... but... but... being a motel they leave the light on for you. What's not to like about that? ;)

SSR is a cut above Motel 6, I'll give you that...... ;)

BroganMc
03-13-2007, 09:57 PM

What is this? An actual SSR compliment escaping UConnJack's fingers? I've seen it all now. ;)

UConnJack
03-13-2007, 10:52 PM
It can be tedious though fun to have the debates. After all, we're just dissing each other's fetishes.

That's the funny thing about tedium, by definition you should get bored by it, but when it comes to the resort vs. resort subject, it keeps drawing people in. But you’re right, the only thing we are arguing here are personal preferences. I’m just surprised there are so many people with bad taste......;)

No, but really, SSR is fine, not my cup of tea, but it appeals to a lot of people and is a nice place. It just doesn’t give me what I want from a WDW vacation. To keep on topic, I just personally disagree with the OP that SSR>OKW. I much prefer the latter.

UConnJack
03-13-2007, 10:58 PM

What is this? An actual SSR compliment escaping UConnJack's fingers? I've seen it all now. ;)

Yeah, well I'm not so sure about Super 8 though.........:lmao:
;)

4DisneyGolfnuts
03-14-2007, 02:53 AM
U Conn Jack is just upset that U Conn isn't in the NCAA Tourney and Central Conn is. He has to voice his frustration at someone.

Just Kiddin U conn. I will be thinking of all the SSR haters in 2043!

Have a Great Day!

UConnJack
03-14-2007, 07:49 AM
U Conn Jack is just upset that U Conn isn't in the NCAA Tourney and Central Conn is. He has to voice his frustration at someone.

Just Kiddin U conn. I will be thinking of all the SSR haters in 2043!

Have a Great Day!

Maybe I am a women's basketball fan and don't care about the men's team. Nah, yeah I'm disappointed.

(no offense to women's bball)

JTimber
03-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Realizing this is an old thread...... I wasn't posting then so I'll add my 2 cents. I agree with Unconn...... well not about the Huskies.... we've seen enough of them and Syracuse for that matter...... good riddance!!! Maybe that drunken gambler Calhoun will be fired.

SSR just doesn't have that feel I look for at WDW. Can't put my finger on it... maybe it is the size or the apartment complex feel, I'm not sure. OKW has always beeen my choice for a quiet oasis from the parks. SSR is last on my list at this point.

Jay

BroganMc
03-14-2007, 05:12 PM
That's the funny thing about tedium, by definition you should get bored by it, but when it comes to the resort vs. resort subject, it keeps drawing people in. But youíre right, the only thing we are arguing here are personal preferences. Iím just surprised there are so many people with bad taste......;)

You're telling me. Why someone would want to walk a mile from car to room or lug all your luggage up flights of stairs is beyond me. Or how they can just go gaga for dark wood and leather room decor, and pay more for the privilege... Scary.

Dean
03-14-2007, 07:57 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, hating a resort and saying so is not resort bashing. And that' true even if one thinks a resort is lower than motel 6.

UConnJack
03-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Realizing this is an old thread...... I wasn't posting then so I'll add my 2 cents. I agree with Unconn...... well not about the Huskies.... we've seen enough of them and Syracuse for that matter...... good riddance!!! Maybe that drunken gambler Calhoun will be fired.

Are you a Pukie fan?

Caskbill
03-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Just a reminder, as posted in the 'sticky' posts at the top of all the DVC boards, that these are for discussing DVC items ONLY.

If anyone wants to discuss sports, or other non-DVC topics, please post on the Community Board.

Thanks for your cooperation.

tomandrobin
03-15-2007, 08:00 AM
That's the funny thing about tedium, by definition you should get bored by it, but when it comes to the resort vs. resort subject, it keeps drawing people in. But youíre right, the only thing we are arguing here are personal preferences. Iím just surprised there are so many people with bad taste......;)

No, but really, SSR is fine, not my cup of tea, but it appeals to a lot of people and is a nice place. It just doesnít give me what I want from a WDW vacation. To keep on topic, I just personally disagree with the OP that SSR>OKW. I much prefer the latter.

I'm always up for a good drawn out debate http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r197/tomandrobin/fechten2.gif however, I'm going let this old dog go back to bed!

We'll pick it up next time UConn and ................

Go Terps!! http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r197/tomandrobin/feartheturtle.jpg