PDA

View Full Version : cross stitch question

dreams91
03-23-2006, 10:24 AM
When you cross stitch, do you use a hoop or what to hold your work? I've seen many set ups and wondering which you like best.

Also, do you use any special lighting?

Twigs
03-23-2006, 12:12 PM
I have always used a hoop. I do use a magnifier that is a long plastic piece that has a red line thru the middle of it so that I can keep track of the pattern better.

Downrivermama
03-23-2006, 12:20 PM
I've been doing x-stitch forever! I have tried not using a hoop, but I can't get the tension of the stitches uniform. Plus it cramped my fingers. I use a 6-inch spring hoop most of the time.

I should probably get on of those special lights they have a Jo-Ann's, but I haven't. I'm in my mid 40's and my eyes are starting to go! I've always been far sighted, but latley everything within 2 feet of my face looks fuzzy! Time for new glasses. The only time I really could use a good light is when I have to sort shades of floss (from a kit).

We were at DTD earlier this month and I got a Tink x-stitch kit. Haven't gotten too far with it, but I've been preping crafts for my dd school's FFN tomorrow. Then I can get a chance to do it!

DiznEeyore
03-23-2006, 12:55 PM
I always use a hoop. For extra light, I often put my little Ott light on the table next to me while I stitch. :)

cobbler
03-23-2006, 12:58 PM
I have used a hoop too. I probably should buy a new one. Mine is older and wooden and I am constantly having to pull the fabric to make it tight again.

Does anyone recommend a good kind of hoop? Wood, circle, etc.

Bildmouse
03-23-2006, 06:10 PM
I've been using a quilting frame that is now made smaller for cross stitch. I found one years ago at a specialty shop but they are now available at Hobby Lobby and other craft stores. They are square and the sides fit over the frame (if that makes any sense). They don't leave marks on the fabric like hoops and they seem to hold it better without constant tightening. They come in lots of sizes.

CACruisin'
03-23-2006, 06:22 PM
I have always used a hoop. Just finished DD's stocking on navy blue 22 count and needed to have extra light for that. Looks great, but I am never doing 22 count again!!!

scraphappy92
03-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Looks like I am in the minority...I just hold it in my hands. I tried so many different kinds of hoops and never liked any of them. So far I haven't had to use any special kind of lighting but I am sure with my eyes changing that will change too. I need to breakout my cross stitch again, it has been about a year since I touched it.

hopemax
03-23-2006, 06:59 PM
I used to use a hoop, an old one of my Mom's she purchased in the 70s. It broke and I was very sad. I purchased new hoops, but didn't find one I liked, they would always pop off the fabric. I did one project without a hoop, and that was a pain, my hands cramped. Now I use a scroll frame. The one I have isn't the best, but the dowel is long enough that it will hold the Art of Disney fabric. I've seen nicer ones at JoAnns and Michaels but they only stock an 18" dowel, which won't cut it.

Keebles
03-23-2006, 08:12 PM
I only use hoops if it's a small project and I don't like using them then! I prefer the bar frames. I can get more tension, more of a surface to work with and no hanging sides. I hate hanging sides!

Mickey&JoshNut
03-23-2006, 10:05 PM
I've been using a quilting frame that is now made smaller for cross stitch. I found one years ago at a specialty shop but they are now available at Hobby Lobby and other craft stores. They are square and the sides fit over the frame (if that makes any sense). They don't leave marks on the fabric like hoops and they seem to hold it better without constant tightening. They come in lots of sizes.

I too use the quilting frame....I like that I can work a bigger area without having to move the frame.

dreams91
03-23-2006, 10:44 PM
I used to use a hoop, an old one of my Mom's she purchased in the 70s. It broke and I was very sad. I purchased new hoops, but didn't find one I liked, they would always pop off the fabric. I did one project without a hoop, and that was a pain, my hands cramped. Now I use a scroll frame. The one I have isn't the best, but the dowel is long enough that it will hold the Art of Disney fabric. I've seen nicer ones at JoAnns and Michaels but they only stock an 18" dowel, which won't cut it.

So doesn't the scroll frame get hard to hold onto? Seems like it would get heavy. :confused3

I'm tired of my hoop and am looking for better options but didn't want to fork out the money until I see what others like. :thumbsup2

dreams91
03-23-2006, 10:45 PM

Is there a pic on the internet of something like it that you can show us? I'm really looking for somethig better than the hoop I'm using. Thanks. ;)

hopemax
03-24-2006, 12:17 AM
So doesn't the scroll frame get hard to hold onto? Seems like it would get heavy

I've been using it so long now, that I don't notice it.

And I tend to hold it vertically, so the bottom spacer bar rests on my lap, and the dowels rest on my arms, leaving both my hands free. Or, if you don't mind the expense, you can get either a lap or floor stand. But that seems like overkill.

JoAnns and Michaels carry them in the $25 range. With a 40% off coupon that isn't that expensive (although more than a hoop). I've had my frame for at least 12 years now, so it will last.

psammie1025
03-24-2006, 06:26 AM
that's the name of the product the other posters are talking about. I have been using them for at least 10 years on my cross stitch & love them! You can get differnet sizes to fit different projects. I have one on my current project Disney's "Puppy Love", I find it so easy to work with.

You can find them in mst craft stores & I know on Joann's website if you type in Q-snap frame.

Paula

dreams91
03-24-2006, 10:22 AM
that's the name of the product the other posters are talking about. I have been using them for at least 10 years on my cross stitch & love them! You can get differnet sizes to fit different projects. I have one on my current project Disney's "Puppy Love", I find it so easy to work with.

You can find them in mst craft stores & I know on Joann's website if you type in Q-snap frame.

Paula

What size do you use for most projects?

cobbler
03-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Here is a link for those that want to see it.

They are on sale right now too from JoAnn and I guess free shipping over $25.
http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=25009&PRODID=11977&source=search

The reviews are really good. I am thinking of getting an 8x8 and an 11x11

kelleigh1
03-24-2006, 01:55 PM
I've never used a hoop or special lighting. Of course as I get older, I might need some extra lighting, but I hope that is still a ways off.

And just today I bought a couple of Disney cross-stitch books. I may spend the summer making all kinds of fun things to possibly sell on ebay or elsewhere to make some money for the holidays. The books were Pooh, Princesses and then one different movie classics (Peter Pan, Dumbo, etc.).

ohiominnie
03-24-2006, 02:08 PM
I am spoiled. My dad made something for me about 10 yrs ago that I LOVE!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

It is a scroll bar system, but it comes with a stand and a "paddle" that you put under your thigh so that it holds your scroll bars up. He even made a chart holder with me, but I work in my glider and when I rock, my chart blows over, so I don't use it much anymore. After I found Q-snaps, he made me a Q-snap converter, so now when I travel and just take my Q-snap, I don't have to convert it back to a regular scroll bar to work on it at home.

He used to do the craft show circuit (he also made wood toys and furniture) and I used to sit and stitch for 8-10 hours to show off his lapframe. Most times he sold out of them and for years ppl would come back to his booth and tell him how much they LOVED it!

Especially when I had little kids and didn't know if I'd have 10 minutes to stitch or an hour....this made it quick to pick up and work on even for short periods. And if I left it for a long time, I didn't get hoop lines on it. LOVE this thing....can you tell? :)

Just recently at piano lessons another mom came in and saw me working on it and HAD to know where I got it. I told her my dad made it. Then I had to call my dad and see if he still had one. Still did (although he stole parts from my ds's future wife's set--he's 9!) so she bought one on the spot! :)

Here's a picture of it, if you can tell what it is. It kinda blends in with the wood of my glider a bit.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b98/ohiominnie/IMG_2659.jpg

ohiominnie
03-24-2006, 02:09 PM
As for extra lighting, I do have an OTT light that I use when I work in the sun room in the evenings. We only have soft "mood" lighting in there and it is NOT conducive to stitching! :)

ohiominnie
03-24-2006, 02:11 PM
I am spoiled. My dad made something for me about 10 yrs ago that I LOVE!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

ANother plus....because my one hand isn't busy holding fabric or hoops or Q-snaps, I work two handed....one hand under, one hand over and it goes twice as fast. Took a bit to get used to it, but now my shoulder isn't so sore anymore from those huge swinging motions!

kelleigh1
03-24-2006, 02:33 PM
OH I would love something like that.

BernardandMissBianca
03-24-2006, 03:36 PM
My grandmother gave me a q-snap a few years ago and it works pretty well. I bought one of the scroll frames from Michaels a few weeks ago and I do not like it. It doesn't stay tight enough to keep the fabric taut. I may ask DH to modify it but I think I may go to a speciality shop in the area to get something better.

Ohiominnie,
I love the frame your Dad made. Are the rods that hold the fabric split?

Keebles
03-24-2006, 09:35 PM
ANother plus....because my one hand isn't busy holding fabric or hoops or Q-snaps, I work two handed....one hand under, one hand over and it goes twice as fast. Took a bit to get used to it, but now my shoulder isn't so sore anymore from those huge swinging motions!

Funny you should mention this...I had to get a much bigger frame and a stand for the next project I got lined up (the Past, Present, and Forever stitch, it's 18x24) and I'm gonna have to learn to two-hand it. But I'm really looking forward to doing it this way because when I stitch on a regular basis, my left arm becomes quite visibility smaller than my right one (almost an inch difference in the two and it's really funny looking!) and I'm hoping that two-handing it will prevent such a drastic difference in my arms!

dreams91
03-24-2006, 10:03 PM
That is a neat set up you got there! You are lucky.

ohiominnie
03-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Ohiominnie,
I love the frame your Dad made. Are the rods that hold the fabric split?

Nope. They aren't split. I've had split ones but could never get my fabric on tight enough or straight enough. I use masking tape to attach them. :)

ohiominnie
03-24-2006, 10:18 PM
OH I would love something like that.

Maybe I should talk my dad into going back into the craft show circuit! :) But he should ONLY make lap frames....none of his other stuff. (any excuse for me to sit and stitch for that long is good!)

dreams91
03-24-2006, 11:38 PM
So with the q snap do you need to buy one that is as big as your project?

cobbler
03-25-2006, 07:37 AM
I had to get a much bigger frame and a stand for the next project I got lined up (the Past, Present, and Forever stitch, it's 18x24)

Isn't that sucker huge!! My mom just bought one for me when she was down at WDW last week. I opened it and wow, its big!!!

So with the q snap do you need to buy one that is as big as your project?
They have different sizes, They also have extenders (not sure how they work but I did see them online and read about them) so you can adapt a size if you need it.

I just bought an 8x8 and an 11x11 at Joann's online. I had to buy 1 thing of floss for 69cents to get my total to $25 for the free shipping. Not to shabby. It should be here next week, I can't wait to try it.

Mickey Fanatic
04-11-2006, 02:51 PM
My in laws bought me a set of scroll bars in different sizes for Christmas. I love them. It makes it easy to move the fabric around and you don't get the creases in the fabric that hoops leave. My Mom made me covers for the scrolls bars that loop over the knobs. That way I don't have to touch the fabric to avoid getting oils on it.

I don't use any extra light sources but I do need one because my husband hates the overhead lights on in the basement and there isn't a table lamp beside the couch I usually sit on.

Brutie
04-12-2006, 08:45 PM
I started out years ago using a hoop, then eventually gave up the hoop and started just holding the cloth in hand, cause most pieces I've done are 15x18 and smaller. I started using the qsnaps about a year or 2 ago and I just love them.

I did just recently buy myself one of those fancy floor lamps cause I got tired of sitting under a regular torche lamp and having my head get so hot from the heat of the bulbs that I swore it was burning my brain... :rotfl2:

savs
05-05-2006, 02:39 PM
I have always used a hoop, but now looking at what everyone else uses, I may need to switch to something else.

I really would like something that holds the fabric itself so you can do it 2 handed, boy that would make things go much faster and your poor arm wouldn't get so sore.

Keebles: I hate those hanging sides to...they always get tangled in your thread when it is really long :sad2:

Brutie
05-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Cherie,

Forgot to say that qsnaps come in different sizes. There is an 8x8 square set, an 11x17 I believe and a huge floor model for doing really big pieces. I have a couple of each sizes except the floor model and I just putting them all together to make whatever size I need at the time. If you want to come over and try mine out, you're welcome to. I'll leave the light on for ya... :surfweb:

dreams91
05-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Based upon the recommendatons here, I ended up getting the q snap. I love it!!! Can't believe I went without it for so long. I tried a generic one and it didn't work so well.

Brutie
05-07-2006, 11:22 PM
WooHoo... :cool1:

I'm proud of you and I had no doubt that you'd like them. They are wonderful and my only complaint is that I didnt think of them first... :lmao:

Welcome to the qsnaps club... :cool1:

MandM3
05-12-2006, 02:41 AM
Always. I have a frame for the larger ones and various hoops for the smaller ones. The tension and result are SO much better. The only things I don't use them for is when I'm using waste canvas as I'm frightened of stretching the fabric out of shape.

StitchNTime
05-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Hi...I'm cherie', :wave: I am new to this forum. I read your quesiton and thought I'd jump in too.

I don't use anything. I started just holding my work in my hand a few years ago. I have found it to be much easier and faster to stitch.

I have a specail craft lamy my DH bought me at Jo Ann Fabrics, it is floor lamp with a magnigying glass attached to it. I LOVE my lamp!! I can't stitch without it. Even when I stitch on 14 or 16 or 18 cnt aida I use it. Boy does my stiching spead increase with it.

Marseeya
06-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Cherie,

Forgot to say that qsnaps come in different sizes. There is an 8x8 square set, an 11x17 I believe and a huge floor model for doing really big pieces. I have a couple of each sizes except the floor model and I just putting them all together to make whatever size I need at the time. If you want to come over and try mine out, you're welcome to. I'll leave the light on for ya... :surfweb:

So, you use a smaller one on a larger project? Like, could I use the 11x17 on a project that is 20x18? (or something like that)

StitchNTime
06-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Oh ok thank you for that info.!!

teacherforhi
06-20-2006, 06:56 PM
I've always just held my cloth in my hand to stitch and used two hands. I didn't know there was any other way to do it till my grandmother asked me about it.

StitchNTime
06-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi teacher, nice to meet you. I was wondering? How do YOU hold your materials when stitching? I roll my material all the way up to the area I am stitching with my left hand and stitch w my right.

teacherforhi
06-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Hi teacher, nice to meet you. I was wondering? How do YOU hold your materials when stitching? I roll my material all the way up to the area I am stitching with my left hand and stitch w my right.

I roll my material to where I'm stitching and alternate hands. It's hard to describe. I push the needle with my left hand and pull through to the bottom with my right. Then push up from the bottom with my right and finish the stitch with my left. So I'm alternately holding the material with each hand. Sorry it's not very clear. Like I said, I never knew it was the "wrong" way until my grandmother said something.

I can't stitch with just one hand at all. It feels like I'm taking forever and it's awkward.

ohiominnie
06-29-2006, 08:30 PM
I can't stitch with just one hand at all. It feels like I'm taking forever and it's awkward.

It feels weird for me too. That's why I like the stand my dad made me so much. So easy to stitch two handed!!! My shoulder gets too sore doing it the "right" way. :)

Disney Planner Mama
07-05-2006, 09:14 AM
I just bought this lap frame a couple of months ago and absolutely love it. It's completely adjustable and can be used as a table top stand as well. http://www.abcstitch.com/optioncart/image.php?image=http://www.abcstitch.com/images/s1/ez101.jpeg&catalog=EZ101&item=Lap%20Stand&price=64.99&itemtype=accessory

Ashley80
07-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi Ladies! I plan on starting an Art of Disney pattern soon. I've never done one so large before!! What size Qsnap do you suggest for it? I've never used one of those either. I've stitched plenty (learned from my mom :p ), just always stitched smaller patterns and used hoops. Using a Qsnap will be a first for me.

Also, I wanted to get the Cinderella Castle pattern, but when I called Stoney Creek (http://www.stoneycreek.com/disney.html) they said they don't carry it anymore. :guilty: Do you know of any other place I could get it? I think I'll buy the Happiest Celebration on Earth if I still can't find Cinderella Castle in the next couple of days.

Also, do you recommend changing out the cloth and using something different than whats provided? If so, why?

TIA! :Pinkbounc
I'm so excited about starting one of these!!

ohiominnie
07-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Also, I wanted to get the Cinderella Castle pattern, but when I called Stoney Creek (http://www.stoneycreek.com/disney.html) they said they don't carry it anymore. :guilty: Do you know of any other place I could get it? I think I'll buy the Happiest Celebration on Earth if I still can't find Cinderella Castle in the next couple of days.

Also, do you recommend changing out the cloth and using something different than whats provided? If so, why?

Wish I could help you find the castle pattern. I have mine 1/2 done. I can't work on it exclusively. I must work on it for a couple of weeks, then put it away for awhile. :)

I did NOT change the cloth for the castle, but after I was 1/4 of the way done I had wished I had. I am not a big Aida fan. I like the look and feel of evenweaves or linen. Plus it makes 1/4 stitches so much easier than poking through that tough Aida. Personally, if I had to start it over again, I'd switch to an evenweave or a linen in the same basic color.

I learned my lesson though. Just finished a Suzy Zoo cross stitch for my neighbor's new baby and I switched that to a 28 ct fabric instead of the 14 ct Aida that the kit provided.

If you're used to linens or evenweaves, then it won't be too hard to switch. :)

HTH

Ashley80
07-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Wish I could help you find the castle pattern. I have mine 1/2 done. I can't work on it exclusively. I must work on it for a couple of weeks, then put it away for awhile. :)

I did NOT change the cloth for the castle, but after I was 1/4 of the way done I had wished I had. I am not a big Aida fan. I like the look and feel of evenweaves or linen. Plus it makes 1/4 stitches so much easier than poking through that tough Aida. Personally, if I had to start it over again, I'd switch to an evenweave or a linen in the same basic color.

I learned my lesson though. Just finished a Suzy Zoo cross stitch for my neighbor's new baby and I switched that to a 28 ct fabric instead of the 14 ct Aida that the kit provided.

If you're used to linens or evenweaves, then it won't be too hard to switch. :)

HTH

Can the evenweaves be found at Michaels or Hobby Lobby? What thread count would you recommend? Should I change the count?

ohiominnie
07-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Can the evenweaves be found at Michaels or Hobby Lobby? What thread count would you recommend? Should I change the count?

Yes, but the selection and colors are usually very limited. Do you have a local cross stitch store near you? I'd stick with 28 count just because the kit probably comes with 14 ct. Aida....that way when you stitch over 2 on the 28, you're getting a finished picture that is the same size as intended.

Have you stitched on something other than Aida before?

Ashley80
07-11-2006, 10:20 AM
No, only Aida I believe. :blush: I've been reading about evenweave and I didn't realize that you stitch differently with that material. I'm starting to think I should probably stick with Aida rather than learning something new on such a huge pattern. I would NOT want to mess it up!! Plus this is something I want to keep and look nice.

ohiominnie
07-11-2006, 10:33 AM
No, only Aida I believe. :blush: I've been reading about evenweave and I didn't realize that you stitch differently with that material. I'm starting to think I should probably stick with Aida rather than learning something new on such a huge pattern. I would NOT want to mess it up!! Plus this is something I want to keep and look nice.

It's not too hard to learn. I forced myself to learn b/c I wanted to stitch a large angel pattern by Lavendar and Lace for my friend's whose baby died when he was 3 days old (heart defect) and I just knew it would be lovely on linen rather than Aida. But I didn't start stitching her until I stitched a smaller project on a similar fabric so I could practice and not goof up the big thing (I had your exact same thoughts)

Once I got the smaller one done sucessfully, I did the angel and it was just beautiful!!

The thing, IMHO, that makes stitching on evenweaves and especially linens so nice is that it looks like you stitched it on real fabric rather than stitched it on something that is made for cross stitch. I still do some things on Aida when I think the look would fit that better (i.e. an OSU Buckeye logo)

Holler if you have any other questions. :)

Ashley80
07-11-2006, 10:57 AM
It's not too hard to learn. I forced myself to learn b/c I wanted to stitch a large angel pattern by Lavendar and Lace for my friend's whose baby died when he was 3 days old (heart defect) and I just knew it would be lovely on linen rather than Aida. But I didn't start stitching her until I stitched a smaller project on a similar fabric so I could practice and not goof up the big thing (I had your exact same thoughts)

Once I got the smaller one done sucessfully, I did the angel and it was just beautiful!!

The thing, IMHO, that makes stitching on evenweaves and especially linens so nice is that it looks like you stitched it on real fabric rather than stitched it on something that is made for cross stitch. I still do some things on Aida when I think the look would fit that better (i.e. an OSU Buckeye logo)

Holler if you have any other questions. :)

I bet it looks wonderful! So sad though :sad1: I think I'll take your advise (even though waiting is going to kill me!!) and do something smaller on the evenweave first. I bought a Disney character book and should be getting it in the mail in the next couple of days. I'll practice with one of those until I get the hang of it.

Thanks so much for all the info! :goodvibes Now I just have to try to find that Cinderella Castle kit!!! Happiest Celebration will have to work for now though. :sunny: