PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC area people, need info (i hope its ok to post this on this board)

ShellyMouse
03-22-2006, 09:01 PM
hi! we will be at wdw in late december. we are driving to va. to catch the auto train. on the way back my dh thinks we should stop in wash. dc, since the train staion is like 20 minutes from the white house. we will arrive back in lorton, va the morning of dec. 31.

so my question is, does anyone know if there are fireworks or anything really cool going on in dc for news years eve? my dh has been to dc as a kid, but me and dd haven't. i think we should take the day to checkit out a little bit! can anyone tell me about the "must sees/must dos" in dc in december? we would probably hang around for the day, and then drive an hour or two...out of congestion area and get a hotel room. unless there are fireworks or something we just can't miss! then we would obviously stay closer.

thanks for your help!! :)

Disney Crazy Debbie
03-23-2006, 05:17 AM
I'd say about 20 years ago Washngton tried to start a "Times Square" type of tradition at the Old Post Office Pavilion (corner of 12th and Pennsylvania Avenues, NW) but I don't think it ever even came close. Washington is beautiful during the holidays. There is the National Christmas Tree on the Eclipse, which is right off of Constitution Avenue, across from Washington Monumnet. The Capitol also has a tree and the museums are also usually decorated. However, since you will be getting off of the auto-train in Lorton I'd suggest a trip to Mount Vernon, which about 15 minutes from the station (just follow the signs for Mount Vernon/Route 1 north). Just a few suggestions.

ShellyMouse
03-24-2006, 01:23 PM
thanks debbie! i will add these things to my vacation notebook......it's getting thicker! :teeth:

thanks again! :wave2:

Disney Crazy Debbie
03-25-2006, 08:42 AM
thanks debbie! i will add these things to my vacation notebook......it's getting thicker! :teeth:

thanks again! :wave2:
You are very welcome and I hope you enjoy your pass through.

Debbie