PDA

View Full Version : water?

gottalovethem
03-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Aside from straight water, what counts for water? Tea (w/o sugar)? Crystal Liight? Do those drinks count? Anything else?

ohMom
03-22-2006, 05:30 AM
i think this can be an individuali decision - i usually try to drink straight water for me water and occasionally make crystal light and decaf iced tea. I was told via WW if it doesn't have calories or caffeine it can count.

pearlieq
03-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Any non-caffeinated liquid can be counted as fluids. If you choose a caloric beverage (milk, juice, etc.) you just need to count the points.

I know this is isn't the prevailing opinion around here, but I've heard from several different sources that the whole "you must drink X amount of water a day" is pretty much bunk. Unless you're sweating a lot or otherwise losing an excessive amount of water, you will usually meet your body's fluid needs just by the solid food and normal drink you'll consume.

For the most part, you just need to drink normally. If you feel thirsty, have something to drink. If drinking 2 quarts of water a day makes you feel good, knock yourself out! But there's no need to force yourself to drink water you really don't want and to set yourself up for the inconvenience of all those potty trips just because someone said you "should".

Here's a link that fleshes it out pretty well:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Good luck!

Cruise04
03-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Our nutritionist told us that a 6 or 8 ounce fat free yogurt is equivalent to that much water. I have also had a nutritionist, not the same one, tell me that water is needed in your body to help flush out the salt in your body that makes you retain fluids. And my gyn has told me that with the size I am I should be drinking at least a gallon of water a day to keep my body fluids moving as it does help with decreasing some plaque buildups in various areas of you body. Don't know how much is true but that's what I've been told.

And there's no way I can drink a gallon of water a day. I'm drinking 84-126 ounces right now and am in the bathroom a lot.

MKOATEYW
03-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Hi, I just started my Disney - diet, but here is me 2c.
Before I started my diet I asked my doctor this very question. He told me that the 8 x 8oz. glass was just a guess. Some people need more than 64oz and some way less. You also absorb water from foods with high water content such as fruits and dairy. You do absorb water from all drinks such as juice and coffee it is just the sugar and caffeine doesn't let you absorb as much as straight water.

You will have to ignore the ickyness but this is what he told me.... Take a look at your pee before you flush. If it is light yellow you have had enough to drink. Really really light you don't need that much water. And dark yellow drink more water right away. If you take a lot of vitamins it will throw the color off, especially C.

NeverlandClub23
03-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Aside from straight water, what counts for water? Tea (w/o sugar)? Crystal Liight? Do those drinks count? Anything else?

Don't forget about fruits. Most fruits have a lot of water in them. Some have as much as an 8 oz glass of water or more.

gottalovethem
03-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Apparently there is a lot of differing opinions out there. No wonder I'm so confused :) Thanks for the info. Good luck to everyone on their weight losses --