PDA

View Full Version : DCL for Teenagers???

CPTJAK
03-20-2006, 09:42 PM
I have two teens (13 and 15) do you think a Disney Cruise would be good for them? They kinda think they are too old :rotfl2:

Poll how old is too old for Disney?? :confused3

Shannon1984
03-20-2006, 11:50 PM
I think they'll love it. I went on my first cruise when I was 16 and absolutely loved it. The counselors were awsome and they had many special activities for the teens. I did the teen Junkanoo on Nasau and had a great time. I am now 21 and will be taking my DD's September 07.

Shannon1984
03-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Oh yeah, and you're never too old for disney. :wave:

MommaluvsDis
03-21-2006, 12:03 AM
We took our first Disney cruise when my DS was 15. I had to coax him to go up to the Stack (the teen area on the Magic). That was a 7 day cruise and other than to sleep and shower, we didn't see him for the rest of the cruise. He had an awesome time. They had a pj party, a treasure hunt, played games, went to the movies, you name it! I signed him up for the Wildside teen excursion on CC (it was about $35 I think) and he said he really enjoyed it. That was 2 years ago and he still talks to some of the kids from that cruise.

We went on the 4 day this last June as it would be DS's last time for the teen club due to the fact that he was turning 18 the following Dec. He was kind of sad that he could no longer join in the teen club activities after Dec.

Your teens will most probably have the time of their lives!

ivanova
03-21-2006, 12:22 AM
my daughter loved it at 13, at 14 and at 15 .. and at 16 is now campaigning for yet another one.

aprilgail2
03-21-2006, 06:07 AM
I think they'll love it. .

Thats what my friend and I thought when we booked a cruise for me, my 4 year old and her and her 15 year old....well the 15 year old HATED it! She she was so bored and cried she wanted to be flown home from every port we stopped at! It was horrible. She tried the Stack the first night, went once more and wouldn't go back again...luckily she had the unlimited internet package so at least she was happy when she was on the computer...she missed her boyfriend and was just miserable on the cruise!! My 4 year old daughter LOVED it though! The only thing the teenager liked was Castaway Cay when she was playing with my daughter in the sand.

Scratch42
03-21-2006, 06:25 AM
My DD claims that she hates it! :confused3 Yet she has made friends and have kept in touch with them! :goodvibes

On our cruise last week I had to phone the Aloft to remind her that her packing wasn't done! The counselor told me that she was busy. I received a phone call back from her informing me, and I quote, "I'm having too much fun! Can you please pack it for me and just leave out this T and pants for me to wear in the morning!"

So you decide! :lmao: :lmao:

janet

Verandah Man
03-21-2006, 06:47 AM
My DD 15 really enjoys cruising on DCL. When I told her we were going in May she had the biggest smile on her face. This will be her third cruise on the Magic in three years. She also enjoys going to The Stack, and also enjoys getting dressed up each night for dinner, and this from a girl that didn't like to wear dresses until we started cruising!!! :rotfl:

geffric
03-21-2006, 08:52 AM
We are leaving on our 4th DCL cruise in a few days.. I have 2 boys one 14 turning 15 on the cruise and a 12 year old. They are both very excited to be going. They love the sport deck , the freedom and the all you can eat food. On our last trip, I saw them at dinner and when the lab/stack closed. According to them it is the best vacation ever!!!

cepmom
03-21-2006, 09:56 AM
my DD was 15 on our first cruise and she had a great time. She is not very outgoing and is a little shy and reserved, so I was worried she wouldn't want to go to the teen club. She did go the first night and as often as she could after that. She had a great time. I didn't even tell her about the internet cafe, but if I had I'm sure she would have spent most of her time there!

The other day she was asking when we can go back and her boyfriend said "why would you go on a cruise instead of going to CA or someplace?" She was shocked he could say such a thing and proceded to list all the fun stuff to do on a cruise and the best part ~ she said "and there are Disney characters on the ship ~ what more could you want?" :thumbsup2

4Jays
03-21-2006, 10:13 AM
We returned from a three day cruise on the Wonder on Mar 12. My dd 15 went to Aloft the first day to check-in with the counselors (there was an invitation for her to come on our door before the dinner show). She immediately signed up for the Banana boat ride with the teen group for Castaway Cay. She went for about an hour after dinner that night (we had 8:30 dinner) and the next night, but she wasn't really making connections. She liked the counselors, but she said it seemed as though everyone else came on the cruise with someone and so she felt left out. But (hurray, hurray) on the day we went to Castaway Cay she met two girls from MI (same as us) and became best buds. That night she came back to the room at 1AM. (There had been karaoke and a dance party.) I was glad that she kept trying Aloft until she found some new friends.

kcashner
03-21-2006, 10:31 AM
We are veterans of 14 cruises on the Magic. DD chose to celebrate her 13th birthday in The Stack. We did 2 cruises with her at age 14, and have another booked later this year (now 15).

Her dentist asked her if she was finally too old for "the Disney boat." She replied that anyone who thought teenagers were too old for Disney had never spent any time in The Stack...and went on to extoll the virtues of the teen activities, etc. She really should be in sales for DCL! She's trying to organize a trip with the church youth group, and wants to celebrate her high school graduation on the ship.

Bottom line--they sleep till noon and party half the night. We do family dinner every night. We've met wonderful kids on the ship each time--and I'm a very strict, conservative type mom. The counsellors give the kids a lot of freedom, but there are a few strict behavorial rules.....kids love it.

At our first parent-teacher conference, the geography teacher blasted me for taking DD out of school for "a family vacation." I pointed out to him that it was more valuable to see and experience geography than to read about it in a book (the English teacher was in the corner with "you go, Mom")...and asked him how many times he had been thru the Panama Canal! On some of the cruises, there are educational opportunities for teens who choose to take advantage of them. They aren't "school-ish." They are things like lectures by an imagineer on how attractions are designed and built...or how the ship was changed during the dry dock. On the special cruises (like the Panama Canal crossing) there were more strictly educational sessions also.

MickeyD
03-21-2006, 10:39 AM
My ds, who just turned 16, campaigned long and hard to do another DCL cruise, so we are going in May and he is thrilled. He has been in the Stack two other times, and even though he always travels alone, he has made friends and is always in a big group. Now, if a child were shy, not sure how they would blend in, but "shy" would never describe my son! LOL

Lisa

LCTsMom
03-21-2006, 10:50 AM
I have three kids who'll be 6, 13 & 15 on our first cruise in September. My teenage sons are eagerly awaiting our cruise and are looking forward to meeting new friends. In fact, my oldest just started his own thread to meet other teens on our cruise. My 13 year old is the least into Disney but he's ultra-social so I expect he'll have a blast. I think it depends on the kids. I have friends with kids younger than mine, who always act like they're "above" anything fun. My kids usually make the best of most situations.

Holly&Joesmommy
03-21-2006, 10:53 AM
with teenagers it is always SO hard to predict what their mood will be,.. :confused3 I think that if there is a "boy or girl friend" in the mix :love: then your odds of your teen choosing to have a GREAT time are slim, just b/c their life only revolves around that "FRIEND". As far as the OP's thought on her teens feeling too old,...NEVER! IT really doesn't have to be about princesses and the mouse,..it is all about FUN! :cool1:
Also,.. since you have 2 teens, your odds of them enjoying themselves are so much greater. :thumbsup2
I took my sister on her 1st disney cruise she was 13, and I was worried about her fitting in w/o knowing anyone else, but like others have said she made friends right away, and still keeps in contacts with them.
We went again last year she was 15 and our parents came along, but they were not as happy about her enjoyment of the club due to the fact that they only saw her for dinner (parents rules),..so that changed and they ended up spending more time together, ...not her idea of the BEST time, :sad: she pouted for about a day, but got over it and she still loved it.
This year we are all going again, but my sister is taking a friend and promises to spend more time with the family :rotfl2: :lmao: yeah right!

minniemoms
03-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Last June we took our DS13 and DS15 with us on the Disney Mexican Riv., the 15 spent a lot of time in the stack,of course there were a few cute girls there. The 13 spent some time there, but mostly hanging out with dad. They spend quite a bit of time eating cookies and ice cream. My boys watched a lot of movies, they ate dinner with us everynight, and now 14 and 16 year olds ask when they get to go again.

hsteacher
03-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Both my kids (21 and 14) really enjoy DCL. My DS (14) is preparing for his 5th cruise this Sunday and literally can't wait! This will be his first time with the "teens" and he's been scouring the Stack past navigators seeing what he def. wants to do and when he "thinks" he'll be with us. He too enjoys time with his dad also! Now, the past 4 Dis. Cruises he has spent little time with us once he got to the clubs so we'll see. Many times we were already in the room and he didn't get back until 1 AM!! My DD (21) has enjoyed her past 4 Dis. Cruises and can't go with us this year due to different college break. She went on a Princess cruise with sorority sisters last break and liked it but stated that "Disney knows how to do cruising!" (I liked the price of Princess better though :rotfl2: ). When she was 18 on the Disney Cruise she was with the older kids about 1/2 the time and with us the other 1/2. She was old enough to enjoy the "nice dining rooms" but still young enough to enjoy the other stuff. She also enjoyed being considered an "adult" and the adult areas. Neither of my kids have committed boyfriends/girlfriends and that does, or can, bring a different feeling depending on the person. Cruises (Disney or not) are what YOU make them.

CPTJAK
03-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for all the advice sounds like it may work after all. :cool1:

Just Me 2
03-21-2006, 08:30 PM
We went last summer when our son was 16. It is one of his favorite trips, which is the reason we are going again this year. He doesn't want to go once he turns 18 because he feels there is nothing to do as they are no longer allowed in the teen clubs.

Castillo Mom
03-21-2006, 11:09 PM
I think a lot has to do with whether your teen is a Disney fan to begin with. After our first trip to WDW, my eldest son said he wanted to return when he graduated high school and also go on a Disney cruise. I thought he'd change his mind but he's stood firm since then so I went ahead and booked. His two younger brothers, 12 and 14 are extremely excited to be going as well.

DisneyGirl421
03-22-2006, 03:42 PM
I've been on three DCL cruise so far... the first at 13, second at 15, and the third at 17. And I have LOVED every minute of all three cruises.
I've only been in The Stack for the last cruise, but the activities and such were basically the same as the other cruises, and the counselors are fantastic.
I still keep in touch with the friends I've made on the past two cruises (the first one was wayy to long ago. lol).
I was extremely happy on this past summer's cruise, since it was my last (and by far, the best) time on the DCL as a teen. :)