PDA

View Full Version : New Boarding Procedure at Cruise Terminal

Cheryl592000
03-20-2006, 06:23 PM
:welcome: Can someone elaborate on the new boarding process at the cruise terminal? I understand you don't have to wait in line forever after you have checked in. How does this work? :confused3 Thanks in advance. :sunny:

momrek06
03-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Cheryl: DH & I were just on the WONDER. I was not aware there are new boarding procedures. I will say we did the 7 day land & sea and was able to go from the DCL transfer bus, through the doors of the terminal, through security and on to the boat. We had basically already registered when we had checked into the AKL! We had our room/cabin key in one. They have a DCL courtesy booth at AKL and DCL handled everything right there upon our check in. NO WAIT WHAT SO EVER at the Terminal. The lines moved right along. If you are not a citizen of the USA, I think there are different lines.

If there are NEW rules since March, I am not aware of them. Hope this helps!

p.s. My DS' DGF is from/lives in Cheshire, CT. So funny, as we are in MA. They go to college together in R.I.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:dumbo: :figment: :simba: :stitch: :goofy: :maleficen :tigger: :sulley:

Cheryl592000
03-20-2006, 06:52 PM
:rolleyes2 Anyone? :wave2:

Cheryl592000
03-20-2006, 06:56 PM
That is so cool! Small world isn't it? Oh, yea, that's another board. :lmao:
Thanks for your reply. I don't know where I heard it, but I think they are boarding by stateroom category. Someone tell me I'm not losing it! :crazy:

DrCavin
03-20-2006, 06:58 PM
When you arrive at the terminal you are given a group-boarding number. Cat 1-3 will have their boarding number replaced with the number 1, so they board first.

They then begin calling the numbers to line-up to board. Basically it eliminates having everyone stand inline at the Mickey Ears and you can enjoy the terminal while waiting for you number to be called.

Cheryl592000
03-20-2006, 07:09 PM
:eek: So, DH & I are a GTY cat 12. Does that mean we have to wait a long time or does it go quickly? Somebody save me some shrimp at the buffet! :worship:

DrCavin
03-20-2006, 07:29 PM
:eek: So, DH & I are a GTY cat 12. Does that mean we have to wait a long time or does it go quickly? Somebody save me some shrimp at the buffet! :worship:

It does not matter what cat you are staying unless your in cat 1-3, it goes by when you arrive at the terminal.

lbgraves
03-20-2006, 07:30 PM
No, only categories 1-3 are give a number based on the category. All others get numbers based on the order they arrive at the terminal. :)

kimszath
03-20-2006, 07:32 PM
Cheryl--I think what I gleaned from the other thread was that you get your boarding number when you arrive (before you even get to the check-in desk), so boarding order is based on first come, first boarded. For anyone in Cats 1, 2, & 3, when they do their check-in, they get to trade their boarding number automatically for boarding card number 1, so suites get to board first, regardless of what time they showed up (10:30 or 12:00--doesn't matter--they go first). Sure beats standing/sitting in line to hold your place from 10:30 until whenever they decide to open the doors!!! I'd think it still pays to show up close to 10:30, so you can check-in, and then stake out your sofa in the terminal! (Don't they have sofas? I can't remember... Time for another cruise!!!)
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong... :goodvibes

momrek06
03-20-2006, 07:35 PM
IS all this different when you do the land and sea, as I was not given any number at all. Just through security and in the terminal and onto the ship...do you think the fact I was at the AKL and had shown them my docs there, I did not need a NUMBER??? I am confused...??? :confused3

Now next Feb 2007 (we re-booked) on the Wonder...I will NOT be at the AKL prior to my cruise. I will go directly to the Port...hence I will probably need a number...huh???

Thanks for the replies. Sorry to the OP..did not mean to jump in with all these questions BUT I did not need a number when I boarded the WONDER.

AND TO THE OP: SMALL WORLD :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

kimszath
03-20-2006, 07:39 PM
momrek06--What time did you get to the terminal? I've heard that sometimes the Disney buses don't even arrive until the beginning boarding has begun... if they were already letting people onthe ship, that'd be a good reason not to need a boarding number! :rotfl: Otherwise, I don't know.... :confused3

matsterrocks
03-20-2006, 07:45 PM
How many people can fit into all the Cat1-3? Can't see there being too many people with #1's.

momrek06
03-20-2006, 07:48 PM
momrek06--What time did you get to the terminal? I've heard that sometimes the Disney buses don't even arrive until the beginning boarding has begun... if they were already letting people onthe ship, that'd be a good reason not to need a boarding number! :rotfl: Otherwise, I don't know.... :confused3

Yes, we LEFT AK (DCL transfer) at noon and arrived by 1pm. And yes allot of people were already on the ship BUT there were a TON of people sitting all over the terminal like at an airport. I was confused as to WHY there were people all just sitting around. It def reminded me, as DH & I walked directly over to the giant mouse ears, of an airport and people sitting here and there and also in the gift shop/coffee shop. I was curious as to WHY they were waiting around. We wanted to get on that ship so bad...!!!! HHmmmm!!!!
:)

kdsluvdisney
03-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Our boarding was really slow! However, I didn't know any difference except for what I read here.

We stayed at POFQ and the bus picked us up there at noon. (I requested to go to another resort, or leave earlier and was told no, that they wouldn't let us board until after 1 anyway.) Even tho. I had read here differently. :rolleyes:

We got off the bus, went right thru security and went up to the first line. I had already done everything online and was ready to go. She looked at the papers and said, yup, you are set, go stand in the line of 5 million people. Ok, I'm exaggerating, but we went to the long line and stood there for 2.5 hours. (we arrived at 1:15 or so and boarded the ship around 3:30) Everyone else sat on the couches while we stood in line and stood and stood. Needless to say, I wasn't very impressed!

Next time, (if we get to have one) instead of doing the DCL transfer down, and sitting wasting time at the hotel, I'll rent a car or figure something else out.

I did see on our ticket that we could 'board at 1' or whatever that meant.

kimszath
03-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Holy Cow--they didn't board until after 3 PM???? Something must have happened... From what I understand, most everyone's on board by 1:30 or 2 PM, and there's plenty to do (swim, EAT :teeth: ) until 4 PM, when it's time for the lifeboat drill....

Billinaz
03-20-2006, 10:49 PM
I dont think there is a card #1.

We were 2nd in the terminal, got a card #2, then checked in and shown that roped off area.. we were in a suite.

We never got another boarding card, they just opened the roped off area first.

matsterrocks
03-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Our boarding was really slow! However, I didn't know any difference except for what I read here.

We stayed at POFQ and the bus picked us up there at noon. (I requested to go to another resort, or leave earlier and was told no, that they wouldn't let us board until after 1 anyway.) Even tho. I had read here differently. :rolleyes:

We got off the bus, went right thru security and went up to the first line. I had already done everything online and was ready to go. She looked at the papers and said, yup, you are set, go stand in the line of 5 million people. Ok, I'm exaggerating, but we went to the long line and stood there for 2.5 hours. (we arrived at 1:15 or so and boarded the ship around 3:30) Everyone else sat on the couches while we stood in line and stood and stood. Needless to say, I wasn't very impressed!

Next time, (if we get to have one) instead of doing the DCL transfer down, and sitting wasting time at the hotel, I'll rent a car or figure something else out.

I did see on our ticket that we could 'board at 1' or whatever that meant.

Was anyone boarding during this time?

Michelle2
03-21-2006, 12:32 AM
We were the second family in the terminal that morning :teeth: and were in group 2. Categories 1 - 3 (and disabled or those needing assistance) did not take long to board at all!

LOLA2
03-21-2006, 06:42 AM
We are staying in suite but my parents will not be , can I ask that they board with us? We would like to experience it together, I guess we would could wait but that would really suck. :confused3

mmouse37
03-21-2006, 06:43 AM
We are staying in suite but my parents will not be , can I ask that they board with us? We would like to experience it together, I guess we would could wait but that would really suck. :confused3

DCL is not going to check the boarding card against who is in the cabin, so yes, your parents can board with you.

kdsluvdisney
03-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Holy Cow--they didn't board until after 3 PM???? Something must have happened... From what I understand, most everyone's on board by 1:30 or 2 PM, and there's plenty to do (swim, EAT ) until 4 PM, when it's time for the lifeboat drill....

That's what we thought too. I kept telling DH that we would be right on and then when we saw the line he said I don't think so .....when we did board, they had someone standing there telling us to go to eat because the food was closing. We had wanted to drop off our carry-ons. We ate very quickly and then went to our room, grabbed our life jackets to get ready for that. I would LOVE to know if something had happen earlier or what.

Was anyone boarding during this time?
Yes, when you got down in the long line, then you went over to the mouse hole to walk thru. I was disappointed, I wanted a picture of us at the entrance but everyone wanted to get onboard by that time, I didn't get to look around the lobby part, see the ship thing or anything! I saw pictures later that the characters had been there and everything!