PDA

View Full Version : How do we improve SSR?

nezy
03-20-2006, 04:43 PM
So, after reading several posts on the inadequacies of SSR, are there any constructive suggestions for DVC to improve this new "home" of ours.

I am putting a poll w/ this but please add deals to the ideas you may have.

boatboatboat
03-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Great idea for a thread..........

cobbler
03-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Nevermind poll is there now.

cobbler
03-20-2006, 04:50 PM
I put additional themed pool. I think it is going to be needed for the Paddock area.

It already has a lot of on-site activities at the community hall. There are ceramics, floral arrangement with a Disney florest and some other things.

Doing something with that theatre would be good. Maybe turn it into another restaurant or do something like FW has where there is a movie night. Although I heard something about not being able to because of the theatre at DTD??? :confused3

sajetto
03-20-2006, 04:52 PM
I wanted to say all of the above except theming. I don't think there is much they can do there. Mostly I would like them to make an SSR version of Stormalong Bay at BCV. But, of course it would need a natural springs kind of theme.

connorlevismom
03-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Although I usually defend SSR against the negatives, I do have to say that another themed pool would be GREAT! :thumbsup2 I love the lazy river idea! I plan on spending at least one day relaxing by the pool and could think of no better way to do that than floating down a lazy river! :banana:

Kristine

boatboatboat
03-20-2006, 04:54 PM
show free wdw movies 24/7.......

make it just like the local movies.

popcorn, candy.........

Maistre Gracey
03-20-2006, 04:56 PM
I voted "all of the above". Not because I dislike SSR; I really do like it. I just think every resort would benefit from more pools, restaurants, activities, ect...

The one thing that I do feel SSR is missing, and would greatly improve the resort is an upscale, full service restaurant. :smokin:

MG

bpmorley
03-20-2006, 05:02 PM
show free wdw movies 24/7.......

make it just like the local movies.

popcorn, candy.........

That's a good idea. I like having thier own version of stormalong bay. As long as it's a "no pool hopping" pool. Take the big lagoon in the middle and make a mini water park. Have a Lazy river going by every building. Make the edge of the river sand lined like a beach. I know lots of people who go to Saratoga and then make the quick trip over to the northern Jersey shore. So it's comprehensible in the theming.

I thought they did have a theater on the premises. We stayed there when it was new so everything wasn't open.

They've already made some changes from the suggestions they get from owners. There was no sit down restaurant, now there is. when we were buying they said they wouldn't have a sit down restaurant because their surveys said that most people would just go to DTD. After people stayed they asked for one. DTD is great to eat, but not every night.

boatboatboat
03-20-2006, 05:05 PM
IMO DVC would be wise offer current DVC owners a "free" night in a studio at SSR.

The cost to do this would be next to nothing...........and the potential upside is huge.

bpmorley
03-20-2006, 05:07 PM
IMO DVC would be wise offer current DVC owners a "free" night in a studio at SSR.

The cost to do this would be next to nothing...........and the potential upside is huge.

That's a good idea. Would that also include SSR owners?

boatboatboat
03-20-2006, 05:10 PM
no, I don't know why it would?

DVC gives stuff away all the time to onlcy certain people.

they gave okw owners free passes.......

they gave ssr buyers extra points........

why give someone who owns ssr a free nite at ssr? heck they already bought......

cobbler
03-20-2006, 05:10 PM
B3 - That doesn't improve it for the long haul though.
And it wouldn't be good for those that don't stay in studios.

boatboatboat
03-20-2006, 05:14 PM
B3 - That doesn't improve it for the long haul though.
And it wouldn't be good for those that don't stay in studios.

prolly not, but it might change the perception, that ssr is simply a huge mega apartment complex.

the biggest marketing dept dvc has is it's current owners.

perception is everything........

also, I would think that by having a FULL HOUSE of current DVC "vets", they could then send out surveys and get real world feed back from people who have sampled the DVC pallet and all it has to offer.

<please note the above is not a personel message and is meant for everyone to read>

cobbler
03-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Connorlevismom came up with a great idea.

Add a great kids club to the resort.

They could transform the one they use now for those taking the tour and have it nightly!

What a great thing for those adults that want to pop over to PI or to dine!

Put in a great theme and that would be sweet!

bradpga
03-20-2006, 05:25 PM
This thread, I like! No SSR bashing, just some good ol constructive critisicm. As I have stated, I am a proud SSR owner and would not change my decision to buy into SSR over another resort. I am very pleased with the theme. Very consistant soothing and peacful setting throughout the resort. Activities seemed plentiful to me. There were constant activities offered for the kids, which they really enjoyed. The staff was very knowledgable and friendly. Buses ran on time. So I can't knock the service. As much as I enjoyed my stay, there are a few things I would change/add given the ability to do so. Here we go.......
1. Add an additional pool (big/themed). The existing pool is awsome and the smaller pools are nice and peaceful; however another BIG pool would help for those in the Paddocks.
2. I really enjoyed the existing restaurant; however, you can never have too many. Maybe add a finer dining option? I guess this is not a huge issue for me since there is a world of dining options a short walk away at DTD.
3. What's the story with the movie theater? Not that we had time for one, but I don't think they were showing any.
4. We drove this last trip and as you can imagine with 2 kids, we had a ton of luggage, groceries, etc......Any way, A LUGGAGE CART located at each building would have been nice. Would have saved me a few trips.
5. It is a BIG resort which is not a complaint of mine and I enjoy the nice walking trails; however, when pressed for time or after a long day, I feel a few shuttles (golf carts) would be great to offer rides. I think they need 2-3 carts constantly roaming the resort where you could flag one down if needed.
6. I thought the bike rental rates were a bit steep. Not that I go to Disney to ride a bike.
7. An onsight bar and grill/ afterhours club would be nice but then again there is DTD.

Really thats about it. Reallistic improvements maybe we will see in the future. Keep in mind- the resort is new and an ongoing project. I feel certain GREAT ammenities will come at SSR. In the mean time my glass is half full!!!!

bpmorley
03-20-2006, 05:50 PM

They could transform the one they use now for those taking the tour and have it nightly!

Great theme for what?

bradpga
03-20-2006, 05:53 PM
GOOD NEWS----
I just talked to Linda Scolaro (my DVC rep) and she told me SSR is going to open a full service restaurant behind the turf club overlooking the lake. There will be outside seating as well on a nice deck. She said this was announced in the latese news letter. Yeahhhhhhhhhh

bpmorley
03-20-2006, 06:02 PM
1. Add an additional pool (big/themed). The existing pool is awsome and the smaller pools are nice and peaceful; however another BIG pool would help for those in the Paddocks.
2. I really enjoyed the existing restaurant; however, you can never have too many. Maybe add a finer dining option? I guess this is not a huge issue for me since there is a world of dining options a short walk away at DTD.
3. What's the story with the movie theater? Not that we had time for one, but I don't think they were showing any.
4. We drove this last trip and as you can imagine with 2 kids, we had a ton of luggage, groceries, etc......Any way, A LUGGAGE CART located at each building would have been nice. Would have saved me a few trips.
5. It is a BIG resort which is not a complaint of mine and I enjoy the nice walking trails; however, when pressed for time or after a long day, I feel a few shuttles (golf carts) would be great to offer rides. I think they need 2-3 carts constantly roaming the resort where you could flag one down if needed.
6. I thought the bike rental rates were a bit steep. Not that I go to Disney to ride a bike.
7. An onsight bar and grill/ afterhours club would be nice but then again there is DTD.

Really thats about it. Reallistic improvements maybe we will see in the future. Keep in mind- the resort is new and an ongoing project. I feel certain GREAT ammenities will come at SSR. In the mean time my glass is half full!!!!

I've heard people asking a bigger/better themes pool. I like the Luggage and golf cart suggestions. You never know about the Bar & Grill. They weren't gonna put a restaurant in either.

cobbler
03-20-2006, 06:07 PM
Great theme for what?

For the kids club.

cobbler
03-20-2006, 06:08 PM
GOOD NEWS----
I just talked to Linda Scolaro (my DVC rep) and she told me SSR is going to open a full service restaurant behind the turf club overlooking the lake. There will be outside seating as well on a nice deck. She said this was announced in the latese news letter. Yeahhhhhhhhhh

It was announced last year at the annual meetings. It should be open fully by summer :)

bpmorley
03-20-2006, 06:13 PM
For the kids club.

Oh ok, I thought you meant for the resort. How many people ahve been to Saratoga NY?

Happy Birthday Cat
03-20-2006, 06:17 PM
Oh ok, I thought you meant for the resort. How many people ahve been to Saratoga NY?

Does it really matter? I have never been to Tibet but Expedition Everest is really fun to ride. I guess it looks like the Himalayas but will probably never know for sure.

HBC

Chris and Pooh
03-20-2006, 06:59 PM
If I may give my twopenneth, when we bought into SSR we were taken on the obligitory tour and we liked what we saw, at that time there was only one accomodation block for want of a better word, and that at the time was still in the latter stages of construction, and artists impressions of what the resort would look like. I for one was very impressed with it as was my wife and decided to become owners.

We made our first visit in Oct 2004 and were extremely impressed with the whole concept, new building work was going on at the time and the noise level was kept to a minimum ,the whole area was spotless and the walk from the accommodation to the pool and main reception area was not too far, though I can understand that for the physically challenged it could be a problem. The pool area was very relaxing and clean it was nice not to be surrounded by half eaten burgers or empty chip bags etc. With AP nearby if you felt hungry the food on offer seemed very good with some very healthy choices.

However with the rapid expansion of the resort I agree that if indeed a second restaurant is to be built, then the sooner the better, though of course a ten minute walk takes you to DTD and al arge choice of restaurants I feel that the pool area will in time become very crowded and therefore a second themed pool would be a great advantage.
One thing I did notice on my visit though was the relatively slow reception area, this could definately do with more staff to handle guests requests and checking in.
Also, unless DVC have decided to include this, it seems to me that as the resort is by the water that perhaps it would be advantageous to support water orientated leisure facilities such as dinghys motor boats pedalos etc.

Chris and Bev SSR members since Sep 03

Oct 1996
Nov 1997
Oct 1999
Oct 2001
Sep 2003
Oct 2004

tjhsr
03-20-2006, 08:51 PM
The theme pool over in the golf course section will help and the sit down restaurant will be open sometime this summer and these things will be nice. But when we took our own tour of SSR in early may 04 when the CMs were testing things out just before it opened.That was it we were sold.

We knew this was the place we wanted to have as our home.And we don't feel that there is a need to make any real changes its great they way it is.From the 1st stay in Oct 04 and with 5 great stays so far I see no need for any real changes.Its exactly what we thought it was going to be a great place to vacation and relax.

connorlevismom
03-20-2006, 09:04 PM

Aww thanks for the compliement! I do believe that would be an amazing addition for those of us that have kids. I mean, who would not love some time alone with their spouse while on vacation? A night out with my DH is like GOLD these days!

Kristine

Disney Doll
03-20-2006, 09:05 PM
GOOD NEWS----
You know, I seem to remember hearing this a while back. There is a large room, sort of to the left when you walk in the main doors of the restaurant, that was a lounge-type area. I recall the CM that was there when we were touring saying that the room might be transformed into a restaurant.

I would also think that since it is a rather large resort in terms of physical size, a second "theme" pool might be a good idea.

rparmfamily
03-20-2006, 09:23 PM
In the latest version of the DVC Vacation Magic Spring 06 edition, the Turf Club will be a Bar and Grill seating 140 individuals. 90 inside a new dining room while 50 on a covered patio. It will offically debut this summer.

corinnak
03-20-2006, 10:02 PM
I, too, would love to see additional themed pool or pools.

The fantastic Kid's Club idea is a great one - perfect pairing with DTD, if you ask me. :) We would use it, I'm sure!

I saw someone else suggest a carousel onsite elsewhere. I would love that. Though there is a carousel over at DTD, come to think of it....

Actually, when I was talking with my guide about SSR, he said that there were certain things that they wouldn't be able to do because it would be in competition with things at DTD - like showing free movies in the theater could be percieved as hostile to the big movie-plex across the way that wants to charge money. Good reason or no, it is probably a factor in what they will actually be able to put into practice.... Similarly, an ice cream parlor would be great, but there is Ghiradelli's across the way.

I have never been in it and maybe it is WAY too small, but I think it would be fantastic if they could overhaul that old theater for some sort of dinner show a la Hoop Dee Doo. Some sort of vaudville thing? Just some kind of show, concert series, who knows.

Oh, how fun would it be if they put in gazebo for band concerts? Actually, when I drove by, it did look like they were building some kind of gazebo. When I lived in New England, it seemed like every small town had one and periodically would have concerts from this town band or that town band or sometimes a brass or string quintet.

How about a giant outdoor chess set? Probably not. Indoor ice skating rink? Come on- it could be fun and there isn't another one in all of Walt Disney World, is there? :teeth:

Seriously, good ideas in this thread, most of them seeming entirely doable, don't you think? Especially the carts. I am in favor of carts!

rparmfamily
03-20-2006, 10:04 PM
Forgot to add, I would like to see another themed pool with a pool-side cafe. The resort is very spread out and I think there needs to be some sort of lunch/snack option near the other pools, plus another pool in general. I love chilling out near the pool watching my children swim!

jonesm34650
03-21-2006, 03:34 AM
Now I was there in December and was told by a Cast member that the area coming into SSR on the right is going to have another Themed Pool.

Mark

RCM
03-21-2006, 06:51 AM
We loved our stay last Easter and are returning this Easter. They do need another theme pool for the resort. The day we were checking in, Easter Sunday, at mid day we noticed there was NO room to sit anywhere and the resort less then half done. We never went back during the day and just used the quiet pool.

I hear the Turf Club will be serving sit down meals. I would like a little more comfort food at AP. The choices were a little eclectic or yuppy.

cobbler
03-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Oooh an ice cream shop would be great too. Even if it is a mini one.

bpmorley
03-21-2006, 05:31 PM
So, is this thread going to be passed on to SSR?

bpmorley
03-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Does it really matter? I have never been to Tibet but Expedition Everest is really fun to ride. I guess it looks like the Himalayas but will probably never know for sure.

HBC

No it doesn't really matter, but I still asked the question.

bradpga
03-21-2006, 07:27 PM
ICE CREAM SHOP.....I love it!!!! Great idea!!!!

jimmar6419
03-21-2006, 10:41 PM
I like that lazy river idea. Wouldn't that be great if it went around the property?
Maybe it would make it feel smaller. Something like Stormalong Bay would certainly be a draw.

nezy
03-21-2006, 11:12 PM
It has been stated frequently that DTD is right there. Well for me DTD is not what attracts me to SSR. If I am at SSR I do not think I should have to go to DTD to fulfill what a regular resort would normally have. When I am at BCV or BWV I do not think-oh EPCOT is right there. BCV has an ice cream place and restaurants and the Boardwalk is right there. I real y do not like DTD, especially w/ the kids. The Marketplace-ok but PI, etc. is not my first choice. And after a day or week at the parks when I am home at my DVC home, I prefer to relax. I think it is a mistake to simple rely on DTD for entertainment/food/ambiance for SSR. It deserves it's own attractions.

RE MOVIES: If SSR had older Disney movies-not current I really do not see how that would be in competition w/ DTD theaters. The people who go to DTD/AMC theaters would come into SSR for movies-especially old movies. However, I do understand that perhaps Disney had an agreement w/ the theater owners prior to the opening of SSR to not have any type of movies near DTD.

So, what can we do W/that theater space?
How about a "night at the races"?. When I was younger we had those-they were old tapes of races. You picked your horses number to win.
Or they could try out any new comedians for Comedy Club or Adventurers Club, or pool tables, or Bingo, Yoga. Maybe a band one night or a DJ-vary the activities. You get the idea! Activities on a rotating basis.

We definately have some good ideas going on this thread!
We are like Imagineers 0nly Disaneers!

I love the lazy river pool, but I would think that might be very difficult-alot of digging and water table concerns, but I'm no engineer (disaneer remeber?)

Anyway, an old fashioned ice cream place would be good too-over the waterfront area-(I forget if that is the Springs or pADDOCKS)

dianeschlicht
03-22-2006, 08:04 AM
I voted other, because I don't think it needs to be changed. It HAS a theme that is very well carried out. It HAS additional pools that are quite large. It is getting a full service restaurant. I see nothing that needs to be changed in all of that.

bpmorley
03-22-2006, 09:37 AM
I voted other, because I don't think it needs to be changed. It HAS a theme that is very well carried out. It HAS additional pools that are quite large. It is getting a full service restaurant. I see nothing that needs to be changed in all of that.

I love the place too. But I wouldn't mind any of those improvements either.

Then again, I've only stayed in The Springs. Maybe my opinion would change if I was in the Paddock

MrShiny
03-22-2006, 09:53 AM
I think a Kids' Club would be great. There really isn't one in the DTD area - like the otherr clubs, it could be open to other resort guests. The location would be ideal - right by DTD, so it would make perfect sense for parents wanting to do PI.

A teens area would be good too. A place supervised where teens too young for PI alone could hang out.

Why not make the theatre just a big kids/teens complex (the two age groups seperated of course!)?

lovetoseemickey
03-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Here are some of my ideas-- pony rides, golf carts, Stormalong Bay type pool area, child care center, and more restaurant options.

bpmorley
03-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Has anyone read anything about Phase III. On another post they're talking about 2 more quiet pools, a couple of snack bars at those pools and another small themed pool. anyone heard any of these rumors?

pb4ugo
03-28-2006, 08:27 PM
since the theme of ssr is 'health, history and horses' [i think], i sorta feel that anything to be added to the resort should be in keeping with same...ergo, no stormalong bay type theme pool in my design...but i could be convinced to go along with a lazy river concept for the additional theme pool...and could stretch the concept to include a whitewater area and/or an area for kayaking...that's part of the water sports around saratoga, n.y.

might also consider adding a rock climbing area on property since that is an activity to be found in the real saratoga springs area, too.

i do not want ssr to become a mini theme park...nor do i want it to take on the activity of a boardwalk area...i do want it to keep the attitude of sophistication of the old saratoga springs community that hosted the railroad magnates and philanthropists at the turn of the century.

a gazebo with evening concerts and a 'sundae' social with ice cream and tea cakes and a rousing game of croquet would be the kind of activities i'd like to enjoy there.

and maybe for the kids we could use the theatre to host karoke contests and a game show on the order of 'so you want to be a cast member' - encouraging the kids to assume the roles of the entertainers in the parks and shows like the hoop dee doo review or disney characters. or maybe it could be turned into a mini planetarium where we could all go to the 'wish upon a star' program in the evening.

that's my .02 for tonite.

:goodvibes

CarolA
03-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I happen to like it the way it is.

bom_noite
03-29-2006, 05:47 AM
I did not want to post as I have posted the same info 3 times before - but - since people may look at this post to get ideas - I will add them here as well:

My wife and I went to check out SSR the 2nd week it was open. We loved the pool area - we loved some of the detail within the resort as well.

We took a walk from the pool area in to the "square" area adjacent to the pool and were dissapointed when we found - it was empty! What a fantastic space!

We immediately said: "This area is screaming for a restaurant, bar, ice cream shop, pool hall, barber shop, etc., etc., etc." We envisioned an area like Main Street USA - call it "Uptown Saratoga". If they did this I think it would immediately become a main gathering place for folks!

I think the issue is that DVC felt that since SSR was so close to DD that thes type of services would not be required.

Dean suggested on another post that a "Members Only" restaurant would work - and I felt that a Fantastic idea! A slightly stripped down Victoria and Alberts that becomes a "Must" for all DVC folks. I would go on to suggest that those staying at SSR would get first shot at reservations. (NOTE: This might be impractical for Disney Dining - but - you could integrate this in to the DVC web page).

For those that enjoy the Epcot festival - why not use this restaurant for Wine tastings and bring in celebrity chef's? That might help establish SSR as the "in place" during this event!

I personally do not think the Theme is the issue at SSR! That, they got right! I personally think that they just now need to add some things so that SSR will reach it's full potential!

bom_noite
03-29-2006, 06:26 AM
So, is this thread going to be passed on to SSR?

This is a very productive thread - and I agree that the folks at DVC may be interested in this information.

I would suggest that after a week that specific ideas gathered on this thread be used to create a second poll. Then, all of this information be collected and sent to them.

I would be happy to take on such a task - but - I think it would be more appropriate that an SSR owner do this (as I am not).

bpmorley
03-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Who has been to SSR lately? We haven't been there since June. I remember when we bought we were given a questionaire about what we would like to see. It asked if we would like a full restaurant at SSR, being we were so close to DTD we answered no. Well during a 10 day stay, we wished there was one. DTD was great, but we just wanted to hang out at the pool and not have to walk or take the boat to DTD. When we were leaving we mentioned this to the lady at the counter and she said they would mail us another questionaire. Well now they are building a new restaurant, so I guess they will take members suggestions.

DrTomorrow
03-29-2006, 06:44 PM
First, ITA with the comment that every DVC resort would benefit from "all of the above" - can't have too much of those kinds of amenities.

Second, with regard to pools - has anyone every actually been to SSR and found that the theme pool (HRS) was too crowded to use? Not the "well, I'm certain that when the entire resort is complete that the planned pools won't be enough" crowd, but someone who has actually been unable to use the pool.

Finally, regarding the restaurant: bpmorley, it would have made no sense at all to open a full service sit-down restaurant at SSR when there was only one (or only a few) buildings open. It also strains credulity to believe that DVC never planned on a full service restaurant at a resort of SSR's size, regardless of the proximity to DTD. IMHO, a FS restaurant was always in the plans, simply waiting for the customer base to reach sufficient size.

IMHO - YMMV

tjhsr
03-29-2006, 07:09 PM
We have stayed 1x in may 2x in oct and 2x in feb. but not during the summer months. We have never had a problem with the being unable to use any of the pools.I still think the pools planned will be enough for everyone.Also part of why we bought into SSR was it would give us a break from everything Disney.We love WDW but its nice to just relax and enjoy and not have a theme park at the resort.

Forever a Princess
03-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Like others have said it would be great if
1. A signature upscale restaurant opened on SSR property.
2. A huge themed pool with a pool bar that would rival that of say the pool bar at AKL.

Another ideas would be
More frequent boat pick up/drop off times to Downtown Disney. Especially needed during the day. Maybe make it like every 15 minutes starting later in the morning like the Riverside does (I forget what time the boats start running from POR and POFQ to downtown disney but it works so well).

bpmorley
03-30-2006, 04:50 AM
Finally, regarding the restaurant: bpmorley, it would have made no sense at all to open a full service sit-down restaurant at SSR when there was only one (or only a few) buildings open. It also strains credulity to believe that DVC never planned on a full service restaurant at a resort of SSR's size, regardless of the proximity to DTD. IMHO, a FS restaurant was always in the plans, simply waiting for the customer base to reach sufficient size.

IMHO - YMMV

I remember when we were touring the place in 04 before we bought. We were told that there would be no full service restaurant. That's what make me think that enough owners brought this point up and they did something about it.

RCM
03-30-2006, 06:02 AM
First, ITA with the comment that every DVC resort would benefit from "all of the above" - can't have too much of those kinds of amenities.

Second, with regard to pools - has anyone every actually been to SSR and found that the theme pool (HRS) was too crowded to use? Not the "well, I'm certain that when the entire resort is complete that the planned pools won't be enough" crowd, but someone who has actually been unable to use the pool.

IMHO - YMMV

Yes...I was there last Easter and when we were checking in there was not one place to sit or move. We just stayed at the quiet pool because we didn't have anyone under the age of 15 yrs. old but this year we will have 6 children 5 yrs. and under so we will try it very early or very late.

Pool may be large enough its just seating is a big problem.

DVC Sadie
03-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Yes...I was there last Easter and when we were checking in there was not one place to sit or move. We just stayed at the quiet pool because we didn't have anyone under the age of 15 yrs. old but this year we will have 6 children 5 yrs. and under so we will try it very early or very late.

Pool may be large enough its just seating is a big problem.

We spent a lot of time at the SSR last July and never had a problem finding 2 lounge chairs but maybe we just got lucky everyday or they added chairs. :confused3 Due to the heat during July I only went to a park several times because it is a lot more relaxing for me to be at the pool reading and swimming. I hope they add more chairs as necessary and also some more umbrellas.

PinkTink63
03-30-2006, 03:20 PM
Oooh an ice cream shop would be great too. Even if it is a mini one.

Now you're talkin! You can never have too many ice cream places, in my opinion! :rotfl2: :mickeybar
That is right up there with "You can never have too many shoes!" IMA! :lmao:

mydogdrew
03-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Have they announced a second themed pool? My understanding is that was not in the original plan. Perhaps they need this to sell out the resort but I can't see why they would add this at the end of the development?

The new restaurant will be a good location but does not sound like fine dining to me. Just casual, right?

Surely you don't think they are going to invest DVC capital in these improvements after the resort is sold out?

bpmorley
03-30-2006, 04:50 PM
[QUOTE=mydogdrew]Have they announced a second themed pool? My understanding is that was not in the original plan. Perhaps they need this to sell out the resort but I can't see why they would add this at the end of the development?

The new restaurant will be a good location but does not sound like fine dining to me. Just casual, right?

Surely you don't think they are going to invest DVC capital in these improvements after the resort is sold out?[/QUO
The restaurant will be casual. I can't see them shelling out a ton of dough after it's sold either. But then again OKW didn't not have a theme pool til 2 years ago

DrTomorrow
03-30-2006, 11:38 PM
[QUOTE=mydogdrew]Have they announced a second themed pool? My understanding is that was not in the original plan. Perhaps they need this to sell out the resort but I can't see why they would add this at the end of the development?

Surely you don't think they are going to invest DVC capital in these improvements after the resort is sold out?[/QUO
The restaurant will be casual. I can't see them shelling out a ton of dough after it's sold either. But then again OKW didn't not have a theme pool til 2 years ago To answer mydogdrew, there is an entire phase of SSR that was not in the original plan; rumors have it that the pool for that section will be somewhere inbetween a std leisure pool and a full-blown theme pool.

bpmorley: When we bought in to SSR (Fall 2003) they told us that there wasn't a full service restaurant; I don't think that "Well, there will/might be one in 3 or 4 years" is the way to sell. If Disney thinks that a full-service signature restaurant at SSR would make money, then they will certainly build one, before or after SSR is sold out; if they don't, they won't. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they contracted it out to a restaurant company, like they do for Pleasure Island.

I guess that I just don't see that many DVCers eating at a high-end restaurant on-resort-site; not enough to keep it busy enough to make money....

bpmorley
03-31-2006, 05:08 AM
[QUOTE=bpmorley] To answer mydogdrew, there is an entire phase of SSR that was not in the original plan; rumors have it that the pool for that section will be somewhere inbetween a std leisure pool and a full-blown theme pool.

bpmorley: When we bought in to SSR (Fall 2003) they told us that there wasn't a full service restaurant; I don't think that "Well, there will/might be one in 3 or 4 years" is the way to sell. If Disney thinks that a full-service signature restaurant at SSR would make money, then they will certainly build one, before or after SSR is sold out; if they don't, they won't. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they contracted it out to a restaurant company, like they do for Pleasure Island.

I guess that I just don't see that many DVCers eating at a high-end restaurant on-resort-site; not enough to keep it busy enough to make money....

Did I say something about a high-end signature restaurant? Personally I don't eat at those places. But SSR does need another dining option besides Artist's Pallette. Not all DTD & PI restaurants are contracted out.

We were told the same thing about no full service restaurant at SSR, but did you notice that they are building 1. for now

spereira
04-20-2006, 11:18 AM
I love SSR...but I too do agree that they need a restaurant and another large pool, especially when the resort is finished..I think Disney has more plans for SSR then we know about...give it time and let's see....

:dumbo:

Tigger031266
04-20-2006, 11:58 AM
SSR needs a bridge to DTD. It has great entertainment, Food and life only a short 1/2 mile away by bridge. 2-3 miles away walking and 15-35 minutes by boat.

BUILD A BRIDGE!!!!!!

Dreamfinder2
04-20-2006, 01:32 PM
What a fun thread ... a "design your own SSR"!

We're content with SSR the way it is, and it makes perfect sense that amenities are phased in as the resort grows. The Turf Club expansion is great, but not anything for me to turn cartwheels over. Besides, having one of the finest spas in the country and a golf course are not to be taken for granted.

Our only comment on our first stay was that it'd be much prettier as more of the landscaping matured - parts of it had a cow pasture feel, but I know that's just temporary.

I would like to see a destination dinner show ... I don't know how large the old theater which was left over from the Disney Institute is, nor do I know what the logistical problems would be in adding a kitchen. But I think a third option to complement the luau and Hoop-de-Doo would be welcome. Doesn't the "real" Saratoga have a performing arts center? Or would a family-friendly vaudeville revival show work? (Thanks to the poster who beat me to the punch!)

Just pondering. But again, we're pretty partial to what we've got. Never having been to the authentic Saratoga Springs, the theme is really charming to this Southern boy.

spereira
04-20-2006, 04:00 PM
I agree..they need to build a BRIDGE!!!!!!

isyt
04-20-2006, 09:00 PM
I haven't read the whole thread but I love SS and I thought my only complaint was busing. I voted other for busing.

eporter66
04-20-2006, 09:30 PM
I love SSR. It is our home resort, but I dont see a lot of the flaws that other people do. We love it there.

Food : we would like to see more food options, but with DTD right across the way, it really is not a big deal to us. Having the quick food available is really all we use the resort for (unless of course they put in a full scale restaurant, then I am sure we would eat there). We thought the breakfasts were great, and having sandwiches and those flatbread pizza's were just fine for something to munch on after we got back from the parks. They did announce the full service dining called "The Turf Club Bar & Grill" that will open this summer. I do remember the wife and I going back there to play pool and have a couple cocktails. It was a nice little area that no one really used (at least while we were there).

Pools : This might become an issue when filled to capacity, but we had no problems with crowds, seats etc... at the pool

Theme : it might be kind of cool if they had an area where they kept some horses/ponies, and were able to give the kids rides/riding lessons. It might help bring out the theme a bit. I know the golf course is on the one side coming in - but it would be cool to drive in and see a few horses just hanging out in a field or running around.

Many people may not be aware that Saratoga NY is also the birthplace of the potato chip - maybe some type of special chip made to go with lunches/dinners?

We love the theme, we live near Saratoga NY, so it is great to see all the references to Saratoga. It is a beautiful place to stay, and we have been twice and will be very happy continuing to stay!

I am sure they will continue to work on the resort as more gets completed.

Thanks
Eric

bpmorley
04-20-2006, 10:05 PM
SSR needs a bridge to DTD. It has great entertainment, Food and life only a short 1/2 mile away by bridge. 2-3 miles away walking and 15-35 minutes by boat.

BUILD A BRIDGE!!!!!!
The bridge will make it a 4 minute walk from the main bldg. It's only a 7-10 minute walk now.

Tigger031266
04-20-2006, 10:26 PM
"The bridge will make it a 4 minute walk from the main bldg. It's only a 7-10 minute walk now."

Half the time! Lets do it!!

spereira
04-21-2006, 06:40 AM
Build the bridge!!!!!! :yay:

goofyguy1958
04-21-2006, 06:56 AM
Voted for more food options because I like options at hand. As the resort grows I think it is improving and I was very very happy with it in January. Can't wait to see how much more it has improved during our August return home.

As far as the bridge, how do you think that would impact the views to DTD from SSR? Besides there already is a bridge taking you past the golf course to the West side of DTD. :teeth:

spereira
04-21-2006, 07:21 AM
I know, I know..a bridge would disrupt the view it would also interfer with the boat service to the marketplace....but a girl can dream can't she!!!! pixiedust:

elijahpep
04-21-2006, 07:50 AM
A bridge would be something to think about. My question, (not trying to be negative) would there be any impact from folks who are just visiting DTD to walk on over to SSR pools or maybe those who might get shnookered cause any chaos or destruction? I just wonder who would come to visit that wouldn't normally with the boat and exsisting path from SSR to DTD.

Given, that would ,IMO, be the only concern. Disney imagineers so many glorious structures I'm certain whatever they would construct in a bridge sense it would flow with the surroundings as well as be functional! It would be very cool!

Would also like to see the theater up and running showing any of those great DIsney movies we all love!

~DW

LIFERBABE
04-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Many people may not be aware that Saratoga NY is also the birthplace of the potato chip - maybe some type of special chip made to go with lunches/dinners?

Eporter, SSR beat you to it! :goodvibes They have added Saratoga Chips to their AP menu as a side. They are the homemade style chips and are very good! They came with our chicken strips in January 2006.
They still don't serve French Fries but the Saratoga Chips are a nice addition.

magicmommy
04-21-2006, 10:12 AM
If my memory serves me correctly our guide told us they were toying with the idea of a bridge but it was expensive and would interfere with boats and the view.

DrTomorrow
04-21-2006, 12:50 PM
A bridge would be something to think about. My question, (not trying to be negative) would there be any impact from folks who are just visiting DTD to walk on over to SSR pools or maybe those who might get shnookered cause any chaos or destruction? I just wonder who would come to visit that wouldn't normally with the boat and exsisting path from SSR to DTD.[...] Even worse, those who might get shnockered.... :lmao:

I agree, though, that some 'over the water' option would be great, but you folks aren't being Imagineer-ative enough. How about a new, improved - and gov't safety approved - Skyway to Downtown Disney? Or howabout taking the TTA technology and creating a DTDTA - DownTownDisney Transit Authority? One big loop, high enough off the water to let the boats through, with 'stops' (of course, they never 'stop') at OKW, SSR CH, SSR CP, DTD & WE. TTA move a lot of people.

Heck, why stop there - make it the SSRTA (pronounced Serta) with stops at every bus stop, and with each train having a luggage area. DME drops you off at CH, you check in, then let a combination of Disney magic and magnetism take you to your building. Make SSR a pseudo-monorail resort!

bpmorley
04-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Didn't I post earlier? or was that another thread? about moving the old Skyway to Tommorowland to SSR

Zbridget
04-22-2006, 02:57 PM
I voted "other" as it needs a kids club please. What is the point of having DD so close if Mom & Dad need to get a sitter to go? I would feel more comfortable with a kids club than an in room sitter from a service.

Would it compete with the theatre in DD if the moviehouse played old Disney Movies no longer playing?

Would love to see an ice cream parlour.

Nix on the bridge, the walk is necessary to walk off whatever we ate.

Looking forward to the full service restaurant. Does anyone know what it is being called yet?

bpmorley
04-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Personally i don't think it needs any improvement. That being said, I also don't mind them doing anything to it.

Does SSR need something like SAB? No. Would I mind if they build something like SAB?

I'm for any improvement they do to the resort. Whether it needs it or not.

DrTomorrow
04-22-2006, 10:39 PM
[...]
Looking forward to the full service restaurant. Does anyone know what it is being called yet? It is an expansion of the current Turf Club, so it is retaining that name.

Dreamfinder2
04-24-2006, 09:49 AM
A bit OT, perhaps, but since most of us enjoy idle speculation...

Do you think that the original SSR designers/Imagineers had a long-range plan for the resort, with the expansion of the Turf Club and other potential amenities in place all along? Or have they taken note of guest comments and complaints, sat down, and collectively said, "Folks, we've got to add some more dining options. And another themed pool," etc.

Are the DVC gurus able to turn on a dime like that, or has this been part of a big plan we just aren't privvy to?

Because ... if they ARE so responsive to guest comments, then I'm gonna send this whole thread to Jim Lewis (maybe he checks in anyway! ;) )

I like SSR just fine even as it is, but Walt used to talk of "plussing" attractions. So improvements and embellishments are always welcome.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programme...

bpmorley
04-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Dreamfinder, I think they're taking guests' comments to heart. When we took the original tour, we were told that they wouldn't have a full service restaurant because SSR is so close to all the dining options at DTD. But after mega complaints to the staff they decided to build the restaurant. I'm sure there will be more changed plans before SSR is officially complete.

DrTomorrow
04-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Dreamfinder, I think they're taking guests' comments to heart. When we took the original tour, we were told that they wouldn't have a full service restaurant because SSR is so close to all the dining options at DTD. But after mega complaints to the staff they decided to build the restaurant. I'm sure there will be more changed plans before SSR is officially complete. Was anyone else told this by an official representative of DVC? We were told the exact opposite: that depending on DTD for FS dining was only temporary while the resort was being built, and that there were already plans (this was in May 04) to offer FS dining once the resort was built out. Seems to me that this makes sense - the fact that was already a perfect amount of space for TC to expand into is unlikely to be a coincidence....

bpmorley
04-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Was anyone else told this by an official representative of DVC? We were told the exact opposite: that depending on DTD for FS dining was only temporary while the resort was being built, and that there were already plans (this was in May 04) to offer FS dining once the resort was built out. Seems to me that this makes sense - the fact that was already a perfect amount of space for TC to expand into is unlikely to be a coincidence....
I can only repeat what I was told. Actually I spoke to my guide today and he said there were no plans for a FS restaurant. So you're saying that if enough DVCer's ask for something that DVC won't sway from the original plans? Isn't that done with almost everything built. We just had 2 sports stadiums built a couple years ago. Neither one looks like the original plans.

cobbler
04-25-2006, 01:58 PM
I think I recall at the annual condo meetings for SSR something to the effect of asking for a TS restaurant and getting it. And the dining plan too, or maybe it was just the dining plan I can't really remember. But I do know comments were made on it.

I think they change and tweak plans as members voice concerns.

Dreamfinder2
04-25-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm sure that any business, in order to stay viable, has to be responsive to the needs and wants of their customers/guests. Are we on the DIS boards a fair sampling of all who visit WDW? I know DVC members have a bit more of a vested interest than a typical day guest. We do improvements to our "real" homes, and would like to see the same at our home away from home.

Just the addition of a TS restaurant makes me happy, although I'm not displeased with AP. But I love visiting Celebration, and to make SSR more "small townish" does have a certain appeal.

Generally, though, I'm so agreeable that it's sickening. At my age, I just don't see that much to be upset about. Even a bad Disney day ranks a 9 in my book.

mello
04-25-2006, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=corinnak]
Oh, how fun would it be if they put in gazebo for band concerts? Actually, when I drove by, it did look like they were building some kind of gazebo. When I lived in New England, it seemed like every small town had one and periodically would have concerts from this town band or that town band or sometimes a brass or string quintet.

How about a giant outdoor chess set? Probably not. Indoor ice skating rink? Come on- it could be fun and there isn't another one in all of Walt Disney World, is there? :teeth:
QUOTE]

Great ideas! They seem really upstate New Yorkish / New England-ish to me.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread... I love the golf cart idea, and the big pool in the Paddocks area / lazy river, and the dinner-show theater idea...

Also, my kids think that there's an ice cream parlor there (because of the tour), and they're going to be very disappointed to find out there isn't one (I keep telling them, but they won't believe me.) So I have to add that a real ice cream parlor for those of us not on the tour would be a great addition!

elijahpep
04-25-2006, 10:41 PM
Lots of good suggestions in this thread... I love the golf cart idea, and the big pool in the Paddocks area / lazy river, and the dinner-show theater idea...

Also, my kids think that there's an ice cream parlor there (because of the tour), and they're going to be very disappointed to find out there isn't one (I keep telling them, but they won't believe me.) So I have to add that a real ice cream parlor for those of us not on the tour would be a great addition!

A MARBLE SLAB ice cream place on property would be a dream. You and your kids have our family's sympathy as well. My DD is a ice cream nut! She thought the same thing.
There is however a great ice cream place not far at DTD. Maybe that will ease the craving! Love all your ideas! Especially the above poster giant chess. My kids play all the time! Would be very neat!

~DW

wendydarling826
04-26-2006, 05:22 AM
Another themed pool ~ especially one with a lazy river and waterfalls along the lines of SAB, would totally change my opinion of SSR. We thought the theming was beautiful, but the pool seemed inadequate for a resort of its size. Quiet pools are okay for a quick cool-off, but nothing can compare to a summer afternoon at Stormalong Bay.

k-wa
04-26-2006, 05:13 PM
I would love a movie theater showing Disney classics. :sunny:

tomandrobin
04-26-2006, 05:22 PM
They already have that at Magic Kingdom