PDA

View Full Version : Thread on the CB has really got me mad!

IlluminationsUK
03-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Just finished reading this thread over at the Community Board http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1059477 and it made me so mad.

I refrained from posting on the actual thread because it quickly degenerated into a religious debate but does anyone here actually believe that being gay is a lifestyle? For me, it's not a lifestyle - it's my life.

Just needed to vent a bit, thank goodness for this board, it's so nice to have somewhere safe to be ourselves on the DIS!

majortom
03-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Just needed to vent a bit, thank goodness for this board, it's so nice to have somewhere safe to be ourselves on the DIS!

Actually, what is so cool about the web is that it is (almost) always safe even when people are calling you names! My advice is to remain calm and respond calmly and rationally for as long as you wish, then ignore it. One thing to understand is that you are unlikely to ever change any serious partisan's mind on an issue, but if you are calm and clear, you might have an impact on bystanders.

I am a bit bored by the thread, but 5 pages into it, it seems as most people are supportive.

/carmi

nordkin
03-20-2006, 05:28 PM
I agree with Majortom. I have read the entire thread and have found many to be supportive and the ones that are not are the same people that are always throwing religion out there. I think once a thread becomes where they are not having the debate back and forth they start a new one to get things going again.

We have some very supportive people on this board and I for one have decided I am not going to get involved in a debate and keep such unfriendly and gay bashing threads going.

luvmydogs
03-20-2006, 05:49 PM
As I told Rick in a PM, in my five years here that was the first thread I've ever had to stop posting on because it actually had me in tears. Maybe that's a cop-out on my part, but I literally couldn't take it anymore. I had typed out so many bannable-responses and deleted them; but honestly my restraint wasn't going to hold out much longer-- and I certainly would've lost my credibility after that. I actually had my ds10 read some of the responses on that thread, and even he wanted to know why "some people think it's bad to be gay?" If a 10 yr. old boy gets it, why can't everybody else?

I hope I don't come across as patronizing, but I'm so genuinely sorry for all the hurtful comments being directed at the GLBTG community. So very, very sorry.

Saxton
03-20-2006, 06:34 PM
I've been reading the posts too and it's taken a major amount of self-control not to reply. I'm Catholic and I'm thankful that I hear a quite different message when I go to Mass on Sunday - Gays and Lesbians are full participants every week ... but maybe we read a different bible! It's frustrating to see that some posters seem to choose to take the bible literally when it suits their own agenda but ignore the sections that dispute their beliefs. But I am thankful that once again the positives outway the negatives - Kim, thank you for all your posts and for all the others that see the 'light'. The CSPs are great people!!! And I would like to thank Pete for giving us this board so we can all talk and feel safe.

Well, a friend just left and we had a bit of wine so now I'll try to behave and not go over to the CB and read any more of those posts. But I have to admit that it would be fun to get them going! ;)

Eeyoresfriend
03-20-2006, 07:55 PM
To me there is nothing worse than a closed minded bigot. But I guess everyone is entitled to thier own beliefs and opinions.

I agree with ya Saxton, it's sure be fun to see some conservative feathers fly...LOL

PHILCT
03-20-2006, 08:29 PM
I had to reply to the thread, #392 there.

"Why am I Gay ?"

What they don't get, is it implies some blame somewhere.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

I would rather debate about which is better, A Mickey Ice Cream Bar or the Toll House Ice Cream Cookie.

Either way, I'm a pig and it is gone too quickly.

Mama Twinkles
03-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Kim, I'm so sorry you were driven to tears. Sanctimonious refusal to acknowledge your dignity can be frightfully hurtful. I think it helps to picture the "antis" in long papal robes holding quill pens at a big wooden tables as they would have 600 years ago. They are from a different subculture with a completely different set of values. Even though they do have an unfortunate influence on public policy, there is a sense in which their views should not be taken at all personally (kind of like cultures that sacrifice animals to the gods). There is no getting through to them, but their views are rapidly being overshadowed by those of people who are open to change. Just as the Catholic church is infuriating but increasingly irrelevant (or at least its strictest teachings are), so are the views of the most stalwart fundamentalists on that board. Here's what I just posted over there, FWIW:

Many on this thread have argued that no one in his or her right mind would choose to be gay. While I would never have chosen it as a young person, I now experience it as a great gift, and would not make a change if I had the choice. Living as an outsider teaches you compassion toward others who are disenfranchised, causes you to be open-minded and question conventionality and authority (including religious authority), makes you aware of everyone's right to live authentically, heightens your attunement to justice, teaches you to use your anger productively (lest it consume you), forces you to live as an anthropologist who recognizes that different subcultures always have and always will espouse different values, and provides enormous fellowship in the company of like-minded freethinkers and sexual libertarians, many of whom are the most creative, funny, radically accepting and brilliant (because they have allowed themselves to think outside the box) people you could ever hope to meet.

Despite the continued persecution of those who dare to embrace their homosexuality, I suspect most people would rather be trapped on a desert island with five randomly selected, "out" gay men than five randomly selected straight people who are certain homosexuality is a sin. But that's an untested proposition.

I believe that most objections to homosexual relationships are rooted in religious conviction and/or conventional mores that we have all been exposed to (and that many are now educating themselves out of), but that in some intransigent cases the objections signify a failure of self-acceptance and a fear of both authority and the consequences of daring authenticity. I also believe that aversion to homosexuality (male and female) is deeply rooted in misogyny.

LukenDC
03-20-2006, 09:16 PM
I was an active participant in that thread. The experience was painful at times, but also uplifting. It is wonderful that there are so many heterosexual allies who are willing to stand with us and clearly state that anti-gay bigotry is wrong. The thread also presented the quintessential "teachable moment" and allowed people to ask questions and for the glbt community and its supporters to respond and educate.

Thank you to all who stood up for fairness, understanding, and equality.

MickeyDee
03-20-2006, 09:49 PM
I DESPISE when people refer to "alternative lifestyles" or just call being gay or bisexual a lifestyle. My lifestyle is no different than any other elementary school teacher in the U.S. It's so ignorant and baffoonish to refer to gayness as a lifestyle. Blah.

Can you tell it erks me? hehe

beckmrk04
03-20-2006, 10:28 PM
I participated in the thread- but I realize that people like Joe are never going to change, just like no one is ever going to change my mind that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay; no one will change my mind that God made us all who we are, and loves us. No one will change my mind that I would rather see people in love, gay or straight, than see people condoning and teaching hate and intolerance.

So, I decided to stop reading the thread. I know it's not a choice, no more than I chose to be straight (I didn't) or I chose to be a girl (also didn't choose that one). I know that Joe will lead his life thinking he's doing right by God, and eventually he'll find out otherwise. I know that when I have children, I will raise them to respect people as individuals and hearts, not sexualities. I will teach them that families come in all sorts of different combinations, and that love makes a family, not just a mommy and daddy. If my child is gay or a lesbian, I will love him or her with every fiber of my being, just like I would if he/she was straight because it's my CHILD.

And I will teach my children that people like Joe, and all the other intolerant fools out there just aren't worth our time or energy. :p

Eeyoresfriend
03-20-2006, 11:03 PM
I DESPISE when people refer to "alternative lifestyles" or just call being gay or bisexual a lifestyle. My lifestyle is no different than any other elementary school teacher in the U.S. It's so ignorant and baffoonish to refer to gayness as a lifestyle. Blah.

Can you tell it erks me? hehe

I was thinking the same thing and it's not a lifestyle...now living like a rich person is a lifestyle, (WHICH MEANS: and ex {A way of life or style of living that reflects the attitudes and values of a person or group: “It was a millionaire's lifestyle on the pocketbook of a hairdresser” } )

I hate when people refer to us as a choice or a lifestyle, it's like we went shopping around for a way to be different and this is the best we could come up with to piss off the masses. I love my g/f more than anything and I would not trade my life for anything. She's my heart and nothing or nobody can take that from me. :woohoo:

Iggipolka
03-20-2006, 11:12 PM
Hmm..my "lifestyle" is hauling myself out of my warm bed next to my warm sweetie every morning and dragging myself to the gym and then to work for 10+ hours. Then it's home for dinner with my love, a walk with the dog, some tv/internet time and then back to bed to get as much sleep as possible inbetween the nightly cat fights.

The weekends, my "lifestyle" allows me to sleep a little longer and spend a bit more time with my love, fixing up the house, running exciting errands to Target and the grocery store and long hikes in the hills with the dog.

<sarcasm>Oh ya..real different "lifestyle" than a straight married couple leads. Can't you just see the constant sex and debauchery?!</sarcasm>

I'm lesbian. I've always been lesbian and I always will be lesbian. It's not something I can change or want to change, it's just one part of who I am.

jekajekalynn
03-20-2006, 11:59 PM
I stopped reading that thread.... Some ppl are as responsive as shouting at a brick wall... :rolleyes:

Well I guess it goes along with other threads that tick me off like resort superiority, mug refills, and so on.... ALL the 'crazies' come out and post there nonsense theories... Which on this particular thread was beating the love of Jesus into gay ppl will make them straight... :p

As I said when I posted on the thread... the only ppl who have a strong vested interest in bashing gay/lesbian ppl are ppl who have skeletons in their closet to begin with. :rolleyes2

tar heel
03-20-2006, 11:59 PM
I'm a heterosexual woman who has been on the DIS for 5+ years. That thread and the Brokeback one combined made me put posters on "ignore" for the first time. I don't hang around with bigots in RL, so why should I on the net?

IlluminationsUK
03-21-2006, 02:28 AM
Just wanted to say a big thankyou to all the people GBLT and CSP who posted over there and supported us, especially luvmydogs.

As I said when I posted on the thread... the only ppl who have a strong vested interest in bashing gay/lesbian ppl are ppl who have skeletons in their closet to begin with.

lol, it's that old "the lady doth protest too much methinks"!!! :teeth:

RickinNYC
03-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Never fear folks, those threads tend to die out and those that post the nastiness virtually always move on, looking like the close minded hate filled judgemental bigots that they are. It's happened before and will continue to happen.

There is one poster in particular that always, always has to state his opinion, founded on his strong belief in God and the Bible. Without fail, he always states that with prayer and an equally strong belief system we (gays anbd lesbians) can overcome our unnatural urges and choose to live heterosexual lives that fit the norm and God's will.

It may have worked for him, albeit it temporarily in my mind, but it won't and doesn't work for everyone.

You can visit that thread in question to see my post to him to know who I am speaking about. I'd rather not list his name here on this board.

RickinNYC
03-21-2006, 09:01 AM
By the ways everyone, rather than complaining about that thread on the Community Board over here, go and visit it and post your own thoughts.

We all need to let others hear our voices. If we only talk amongst ourselves, what purpose would that serve? It might be cathartic to get things off our chest, but it would be better served by letting others see the ignorance in their closed minds.

On that note, I really really strongly urge you to do so but to do it by following the DIS rules, i.e. no name calling and nothing offensive.

PHILCT
03-21-2006, 09:32 AM
I think I better stop going over there, it is making me NOT think about Disney.

DISNEY is much more fun to talk about.

I wish I was there now, and not trying to persuade someone I did not choose to be Gay !

If I chose anything, I would choose myself to be Rich, Buffed with a 6 pack, and Handsome. 2 out of 3 isn't bad. LOL !

Mama Twinkles
03-21-2006, 09:51 AM
It's interesting to speculate about the psychological make-up of someone who confuses "knowing" and "believing." You certainly can't get through to someone who claims to "know" something that reasonable people consider a matter of faith. I think "knowing" that there is a hell is delusional. In the case of the poster whom Rick references, I suspect the delusion is not based in a general propensity to credulity so much as in a need to espouse a very particular set of ideas, perhaps for the reasons Rick states (battling own homosexual urges) or perhaps because absolute certainty helps him to cope with an otherwise confusing internal landscape. He may have had very authoritarian parenting, and need to believe that there is a protector available to him who will vindicate all the wrongs others can perpetrate. I do imagine that he projects his own (to him unacceptable) urges (not necessarily homosexual) onto others and then condemns them to hell (note his grandiose assumption that he knows the mind of his god) in proportion to his failure to accept himself. Just some thoughts.

mickeyfan2
03-21-2006, 10:01 AM
I've been reading the posts too and it's taken a major amount of self-control not to reply. I'm Catholic and I'm thankful that I hear a quite different message when I go to Mass on Sunday - Gays and Lesbians are full participants every week ... but maybe we read a different bible! It's frustrating to see that some posters seem to choose to take the bible literally when it suits their own agenda but ignore the sections that dispute their beliefs.
I too am Catholic and I believe that God made each and every one of us exactly the way he wanted. We are never made perfect and the world would be a boring place if we all were.

I have a Gay cousin and I love him dearly. I know he was born that way and it does not matter to me why. His SO is a great guy and I know that they would love to adopt, but cannot at this time.

Actually our Bible is different. We have more books in our Bible and a different translation. I once saw a Protestant Theologian speak and he said the big difference between Catholics and Protestants is that Catholics are more spiritual (take the Bible are a guide) and Protestants more theological (take the Bible verbatium).

I too am sorry for all the hate on that thread. I stopped reading it very early. The same group seems to love to spew their venom and stand behind the Bible as proof they are right. To me the Bible is a way to treat others not to put others down.

carolfoy
03-21-2006, 10:09 AM
I don't agree that being gay or lesbian is a 'lifestyle' choice, I feel that where you work, who you live with (regardless of sexuality) how many kids you have etc is a 'lifestyle' choice, sure, there are gays who enjoy the whole 'scene' and those particular parties/clubs etc, but there are straight people who enjoy the same or entirely different 'scenes'. Unless people are pretending to be something they're not, ie gay when straight or straight when gay, then I'm not sure they actually HAVE a choice.

mickeyfan2
03-21-2006, 10:17 AM
There is one poster in particular that always, always has to state his opinion, founded on his strong belief in God and the Bible. Without fail, he always states that with prayer and an equally strong belief system we (gays anbd lesbians) can overcome our unnatural urges and choose to live heterosexual lives that fit the norm and God's will.

It may have worked for him, albeit it temporarily in my mind, but it won't and doesn't work for everyone.
I checked out the poster you are refering to. I find I skip his posts since I never find much value in what he says. I have no idea what God's will is, how could I? I am not God. People like him really make me hang my head in shame as a Christian. I believe in love and acceptance not hatred and bigotry.

SteeleTig
03-21-2006, 10:24 AM
I made my way over there and posted a little bit from my perspective, I think I'm post number 509. In case you don't go over there to read I'm going to post my response below as it is the antithesis of what a lot of the "Christians" are posting they are taught.

"Just a little posting from my perspective...

My maternal grandfather was (he passed away) a United Church of Christ minister. He had a Doctorate in theology from a major university as well as having graduated from a major theological seminary. (I tell you this just to illustrate he had studied religion, most especially Christianity extensively). His minstery took him to 4 different states, from urban to rural (the longest times he was in one church were rural), he started his ministery in the early 40's and continued until the mid/late 80's when he retired (but he still did vacation fill in minstering until he passed away). Now with all that info, this is/was my granndfather's stance on homosexuality... as told to me from the youngest ages:
God loves everyone, regardless of whom they love, or how they live their lives. God wants everyone to find the person who makes them so happy they will no longer doubt that God exists and what it feels like to be loved by God. God wants you to find the person, regardless of gender, who can make you believe in the love of God.

Being as I have literally lived IN a church and was raised with everything in my life being tied into the church and religion being in every aspect of my life... I do not understand the haters who try to hide behind the Bible, using the passages to defend their hate. You can find a passage in the Bible to suppport any claim, it's all up to your interpretation.

God does not want you to hate and it is not up to YOU to judge. Going by the Bible as i know it... the real Christians are the ones who love and accept unconditionally, not the haters and judgers."

Texa
03-21-2006, 10:33 AM
It's interesting to speculate about the psychological make-up of someone who confuses "knowing" and "believing." You certainly can't get through to someone who claims to "know" something that reasonable people consider a matter of faith. I think "knowing" that there is a hell is delusional. In the case of the poster whom Rick references, I suspect the delusion is not based in a general propensity to credulity so much as in a need to espouse a very particular set of ideas, perhaps for the reasons Rick states (battling own homosexual urges) or perhaps because absolute certainty helps him to cope with an otherwise confusing internal landscape. He may have had very authoritarian parenting, and need to believe that there is a protector available to him who will vindicate all the wrongs others can perpetrate. I do imagine that he projects his own (to him unacceptable) urges (not necessarily homosexual) onto others and then condemns them to hell (note his grandiose assumption that he knows the mind of his god) in proportion to his failure to accept himself. Just some thoughts.

That's a great post. Very insightful. I know someone like this IRL and it makes a lot of sense. I think that's why the phrase (in general) "I tell it like it is!" bothers me so much. I always want to say, you mean you tell it like you see it!

RickinNYC
03-21-2006, 10:42 AM

I couldn't agree more, however, in this particular poster's case, he has said on more than one occasion, quite a long time ago, that his faith in prayer and strong belief in God was what had allowed him to choose the right path and live in a lifestyle that is more acceptable to his church's and his own beliefs.

I honestly think that's a pant load truth be told. Anyone that is able to do that is simply repressing one's own desires and need to love whom one wants to as opposed to whom society dictates. It is a path that is bound for tremendous failure. There have been far too many people out there who have been put through so much intense pain and grief because their wife/husband came out later in life.

In any case, this poster and one other are incredibly preoccupied with what goes on in gay folks' bedrooms to the point that their interest borders on obsession. God knows I could care less what they do in their own homes, not sure why they feel the need to know what goes on in mine.

Although whenever anyone gets caught up in their need to espouse anti-gay remarks with the vehemence in which they are known, it really makes me wonder what their true motives are. Those folks need to look into themselves and really find out exactly what the driving force is, whether it's repression (in a LOT of cases) or simple ignorance and poor education.

Mama Twinkles
03-21-2006, 11:16 AM
he has said on more than one occasion, quite a long time ago, that his faith in prayer and strong belief in God was what had allowed him to choose the right path and live in a lifestyle that is more acceptable to his church's and his own beliefs.

Yes, it's as if he believes that without very rigidly controlling himself, he would be out of control or immoral in his behavior (exactly how he views gays). Setting aside whatever standards of scrupulosity he holds (to him, swearing in his mind might equate with being immoral), he sounds like the would-be criminal who goes into law enforcement instead, never truly accepting and controlling his impulses, but instead working vengefully to punish others for the same ones. Some people (usually empathy-challenged, and notice his lack of empathy toward those who disagree with him, even to the point where he drives them to tears, all while posting sunshiny smilies and professing to love everyone) have very rigid ideas about right and wrong, and can't tolerate what they perceive as wrong in themselves. So they project it outward and then castigate those they project onto. Gays are just the targets of projection du jour. But that fact that he would go to delusional extremes to uphold his rigid framework testifies to just how afraid he is of having the dam break and how incapable of deep acceptance he is.

Mama Twinkles
03-21-2006, 11:44 AM
That's a great post. Very insightful. I know someone like this IRL and it makes a lot of sense. I think that's why the phrase (in general) "I tell it like it is!" bothers me so much. I always want to say, you mean you tell it like you see it!

Thanks, Texa. Arrogance is so off-putting (even when the person is right), and it certainly doesn't strengthen an argument or openness to one's perspective. I'm sure a panel of impartial judges would not think that the most arrogant posters on the CB thread had even minimally supported their cases. So it doesn't really matter that they think they are stating the obvious and that everyone else 's argument is without merit; no minds were changed in their favor and they generated a fair degree of antipathy for their tone-deaf perspective.

Sinboy
03-21-2006, 12:59 PM
I know your all gonna flame me for this - but it is possible that you can be gay by choice and by being born gay. i know because I am in a relationship where one of us was born gay the other chose a change in lifestyle and today chooses to be in a gay relationship. It's wonderful that we have t he opportunity to make choices for ourselves and yet be embraced by others for it.

xoxo
Sinful

jackskellingtonsgirl
03-21-2006, 01:22 PM
I haven't even opened the thread on the CB because I won't be able to play nice if I do.

Here is what it boils down to:
If society told me I "should" be a lesbian I would be completely bewildered. I am straight. Not by choice, but just because. I never even THOUGHT about who I would fall in love with, I just happened to love boys. Isn't that exactly the same thing gay and lesbian folks feel when society tells them they "should" love the opposite sex? It must feel so UNnatural that it is almost laughable. So how could anyone CHOOSE to be gay? The attraction we feel for another person is pre-determined, be it a person of the opposite sex or the same sex.

Of course it's not a CHOICE! :furious:

SteeleTig
03-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Yeah, my first post there was something along the lines of...
You can't choose who you love and if you think you can then you've obviously never been in love.

staci
03-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Yeah, my first post there was something along the lines of...
You can't choose who you love and if you think you can then you've obviously never been in love.

Oh my gosh that is so true.

toto2
03-21-2006, 03:08 PM
I posted on this thread , I continue reading it and might post again.

I can understand that some of the people who posted ther gets us mad , but others are harmelss. In fact , I think a few of them got a bad wrapp they did not deserve. I kind of understand what some of them say when they talk about there belief in god , and how they follow there religion and what they think there religion says about homosexuality. And I feel I could be sitting with them , having great conversation and trully like them and they would trully like me ( exept for my "sins" I guess. And I know for sure a lot of them would not want to see me near them ! Maybe it is because we dont see this type of religiosity here in Canada ( at least here in Québec) that makes me feel this way. I did not feel persecuted by a lot of the comment I read there. Maybe it is just me or that I am missing something in the translation. Now , as far as Joe and people like him goes...I dont even get mad at them : they have found a way to have all there questions answered and obliterate every doubt they might have. Ignorance is bliss !

MzDiz
03-21-2006, 03:14 PM
I have a good friend that chose (or so she said) to be gay. She had never been in a relationship with another woman until she met her SO, and always called it an experiment. That experiment lasted over ten years.
Personally, I don't care if someone is born that way or chooses to be with someone of the same sex, or a multitude of people of whatever sex. We should treat everyone with respect and dignity equally, regardless of who they share the morning paper with.

That thread, that's something else though... The whole board is arguing with two or three people, who say nothing but a variation of "it's true because my bible says so"
I never did get an answer to my question about who intersexed people should marry. Maybe I've stumped them. :teeth:

dkostel
03-21-2006, 03:14 PM
God loves everyone, regardless of whom they love, or how they live their lives. God wants everyone to find the person who makes them so happy they will no longer doubt that God exists and what it feels like to be loved by God. God wants you to find the person, regardless of gender, who can make you believe in the love of God.

Wow, that's really nice. I'm not sure how anyone could argue with that but I'm sure I'd rather try to teach a pig to sing than argue with such a person.
It brought a tear to my eye, making me remember my own grandparents, who although weren't ministers, were beautiful loving people like your grandfather.

SunFloridaDisney
03-21-2006, 03:20 PM
I haven't even opened the thread on the CB because I won't be able to play nice if I do.

That's similar to how I feel about it. I started reading some of the posts in the beginning, but soon realized it was going to turn into another of "those" threads, particularly with the poster in question who Rick referred to. Some posters seem to just want to stir up controversy - maybe that's how they get their fun? :confused3

I get too angry, and have found that there's no convincing some people. They are ignorant and 'choose' to stay that way, apparently.

Personally I think I have much more of a positive influence in my own family and church than on a message board with some very annoying, small-minded people. I'm not persuasive enough with my writing to make a difference, but I often do stand up for the rights of others IRL.

As a C(?)SP, I'm trying to teach love and respect to my kids, and they learn that best from the way I interact with others, and how we speak in our home.

:grouphug:

disneynutt1225
03-21-2006, 03:44 PM
I checked out the poster you are refering to. I find I skip his posts since I never find much value in what he says. I have no idea what God's will is, how could I? I am not God. People like him really make me hang my head in shame as a Christian. I believe in love and acceptance not hatred and bigotry.

::yes:: You took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm staying away from that thread now because it doesn't seem like anything new is going to be said, and frankly I'm tired of reading all the God references. I believe in God, I'm Catholic, but my religion doesn't rule or dictate my life.

I'm so very sorry for the ignorance being spouted on that thread. I am thankful however that there seems to be far more supportive statements than not.

I won't be posting over there because I'm positive I won't be pleasant and I really don't want to get banned. But do know that I'm fuming over some of the things that I've read.

PHILCT
03-21-2006, 05:23 PM
After reading the Posts from the Community Board Thread,
even the gang at 100 Acres can not make its mind up over the fury.

---

Pooh would like to come out and is timid and scared.
He is afraid that the others will not understand,
and he fears that they will think this is some reactionary choice on his part.
He just always remembers having these feelings from when he was a cub.
He can not admit that he has this huge crush on Tigger.

Tigger does not have the same feelings as Pooh, but he would be an understanding friend.
Tigger continues to bounce around the issue.

Eyeore isn't concerned, he just wants everyone to listen to his problems.

Piglet has no idea, "What is Gay ? "

Rabbit has his principles, and doesn't think the 100 Acres is the place
for these kind of feelings. Rabbit is thinking Pooh is making a bad choice.
Rabbit will consult with the author of the novel.

---

Hope your Laughing !

Don't get me started on Looney Tunes, Is there a Board for that too ?

Eeyoresfriend
03-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Just thought I'd have a little humor break. That thread is something else, but I won't let it upset me because when the time come I won't have to answer to them, I'll have to answer to God. I am a pretty decent person and try to lead the best life possible. I like to treat people with respect and not judge them. The whole judge a book by its cover thing, if everyone lived by that this world would be a much better place.

So here is a piece of humor that was posted on another board I read (predominately lesbian board :) )

Top Ten Things Heterosexuals Need to Know About Gay People

10. We didn't invent disco music so stop blaming us.

9. We're not sure about Ricky Martin either.

8. We also didn't invent the color black, but we are in complete agreement that you look better in it.

7. We are secretly glad Anne Heche is back on your team. She scares us.

6. Our so-called "gaydar" does not get us more cable stations or better reception.

5. We think your mini-vans are sooo cute!

4. David Crosby was not Melissa Etheridge's only choice.

3. If he's using two or more hair products at any one time -- yes, he is.

2. If she's won Wimbledon sixteen times, she is too.

And, the number one thing that heterosexuals need to know about gay people is...

1. Relax, we don't want you

I thought it was cute. :)

bubie2.5
03-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Just thought I'd have a little humor break. That thread is something else, but I won't let it upset me because when the time come I won't have to answer to them, I'll have to answer to God. I am a pretty decent person and try to lead the best life possible. I like to treat people with respect and not judge them. The whole judge a book by its cover thing, if everyone lived by that this world would be a much better place.

So here is a piece of humor that was posted on another board I read (predominately lesbian board :) )

Top Ten Things Heterosexuals Need to Know About Gay People

10. We didn't invent disco music so stop blaming us.

9. We're not sure about Ricky Martin either.

8. We also didn't invent the color black, but we are in complete agreement that you look better in it.

7. We are secretly glad Anne Heche is back on your team. She scares us.

6. Our so-called "gaydar" does not get us more cable stations or better reception.

5. We think your mini-vans are sooo cute!

4. David Crosby was not Melissa Etheridge's only choice.

3. If he's using two or more hair products at any one time -- yes, he is.

2. If she's won Wimbledon sixteen times, she is too.

And, the number one thing that heterosexuals need to know about gay people is...

1. Relax, we don't want you

I thought it was cute. :)

:thumbsup2

glass slipper girl
03-21-2006, 08:13 PM
I read a few posts here and there in that thread and just had to walk away. I agree that there are people there who I am embarassed to be linked with in any way, as a straight person or as a Christian. The "because God intended it that way" argument infuriates me as well. How can any of us know what God intends? The God I believe in is one of love, I can't imagine that there is a problem with people LOVING, no matter who it is they choose to love. It baffles me that these people think a child is better off in the foster care system rather than in a stable and loving home that just so happens to have 2 moms or 2 dads.

As a straight person, I guess I feel like the best I can do is to speak out when I have the chance, to be a supportive voice to the GLBT community and MOST important, to make sure my sons grow up to be open minded and non-judgemental CSPs themselves. For them to know that to condem someone for who they chose to share their life or their bed with (or for the color of their skin or the building they sit in to worship...or not to worship etc) is just flat out wrong. It's not our job to judge. That's one thing I'm quite sure that God wants....for me to leave the judgement to him. ;)

FergieTCat
03-22-2006, 12:53 PM
I got pissed off when they used the term "Brokeback Liberals". So what, is calling someone a "Brokeback" anything the new insult?

I hate closed-minded bigots, but I guess we have to live with them.

disneynutt1225
03-22-2006, 01:00 PM
I got pissed off when they used the term "Brokeback Liberals". So what, is calling someone a "Brokeback" anything the new insult?

:eek: I didn't even see that! That's disgusting, but not surprising considering some of the other things I read on that thread. Has it been active today? I haven't noticed it yet.

FergieTCat
03-22-2006, 01:30 PM
It was on another thread, by someone who was staunchly defending our President. :rolleyes: So I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

:eek: I didn't even see that! That's disgusting, but not surprising considering some of the other things I read on that thread. Has it been active today? I haven't noticed it yet.

mickeymousemom
03-22-2006, 08:29 PM
By the ways everyone, rather than complaining about that thread on the Community Board over here, go and visit it and post your own thoughts.

We all need to let others hear our voices. If we only talk amongst ourselves, what purpose would that serve? It might be cathartic to get things off our chest, but it would be better served by letting others see the ignorance in their closed minds.

On that note, I really really strongly urge you to do so but to do it by following the DIS rules, i.e. no name calling and nothing offensive.

I came across this thread last night while searching posts of a member who was being an absolute smart aleck to me in another thread that I never should have posted in (apparently).
I read thru it quickly, but it was enough to leave me seething with anger at the ignorance I continue to see everyday. Needless to say, I posted my opinion and hopefully I made sense in the process.

Not sure I can go back over there to read more of it.

I really liked the post I came to before reading the one quoted above. The poster talked about her "lifestyle" and the mundane things she does everyday. In other words, what does being gay have to do with your "lifestyle". I don't really think the fact that I'm straight describes MY lifestyle. Mine is much as the poster mentioned. I get up, talk with my DH. Together we spend time with our 2yo and maybe we go out for some lunch. Dh goes off to work, my older DD's get home, and I swing into full gear taking care o f 3 DD's by myself(the 2 older ones fight incessantly). THAT my dear, is a "lifestyle". I'm STILL lost as to who a person loves, or lives with, or dates is anyone else's business and why it matters enough to cause a huge debate. :confused3

beckmrk04
03-23-2006, 12:09 AM
I read a few posts here and there in that thread and just had to walk away. I agree that there are people there who I am embarassed to be linked with in any way, as a straight person or as a Christian. The "because God intended it that way" argument infuriates me as well. How can any of us know what God intends? The God I believe in is one of love, I can't imagine that there is a problem with people LOVING, no matter who it is they choose to love. It baffles me that these people think a child is better off in the foster care system rather than in a stable and loving home that just so happens to have 2 moms or 2 dads.

As a straight person, I guess I feel like the best I can do is to speak out when I have the chance, to be a supportive voice to the GLBT community and MOST important, to make sure my sons grow up to be open minded and non-judgemental CSPs themselves. For them to know that to condem someone for who they chose to share their life or their bed with (or for the color of their skin or the building they sit in to worship...or not to worship etc) is just flat out wrong. It's not our job to judge. That's one thing I'm quite sure that God wants....for me to leave the judgement to him. ;)

Took the words right outta my mouth! :cheer2: