PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion please on these DCL sponsored ST Martin Eastern excursions

cruisnfamily
03-20-2006, 01:12 PM
We've booked outside of DCL for St Thomas and just want to do a little sightseeing on St Martin. I was considering these DCL excursions on St. Martin. We don't want a beach day or snorkel day, we already have those planned. Just a little sighseeing. We are 4 adults and 5 children ages 1, 9, 10, 13 & 13.

Please tell me if you've done one of these excursions and what you thought of it. I'd love all the details you're willing to provide :love:

See & Sea Island Tour (SM-10)
Travel both surf and turf as you visit Grand Case for a fish-eye view of St. Maarten's underwater beauty on a semi-submarine. Then it's back on land to the quaint French town of Marigot.

* Activity Level: Mild
* For Ages: All Ages
* Adult Price: $51 (ages 10 and up)
* Child Price: $36 (ages 0-9)
* Duration: 3.5-4 hours

Under 2 Flags Island Tour (SM-06)
Discover the two distinct worlds of St. Maarten as you explore both the French and Dutch sides of this unique island paradise. Shop and explore the local marketplace and seaside cafes in the French city of Marigot.

* Adult Price: $22 (ages 10 and up)
* Child Price: $17 (ages 3-9), under 3 free
* Duration: 3 hours

Island Drive & Explorer Cruise (SM-05)
Explore the shore and more as you sightsee and shop on this magnificent island. Cruise from Simpson's Bay Lagoon to Marigot, the island's French capital, and then onto Philipsburg, the Dutch capital.

* Adult Price: $45 (ages 10 and up)
* Child Price: $22 (ages 0-9)
* Duration: 4 hours

Caribbean Duck Tour (SM-24)
"Quack up" on this fun-filled tour aboard The Duck, the only amphibious vehicle on St. Maarten. Tour the Dutch side of the island on land and then splash into the water for a seafaring ride as you enjoy Caribbean tunes.

* For Ages: 5 And Up
* Adult Price: $48 (ages 10 and up)
* Child Price: $37 (ages 5-9)
* Duration: 2-2.5 hours

mom x4,grandma x4
03-20-2006, 01:46 PM
We did the under 2 flags tour.
We had 2 beautiful views that made it worth the trip. However that was the only things that made it worth the trip. It may of been that we had a bad guide, so dont judge it all by me, but it was boring most of the time. He told us mostly about their airport. He pointed out a school, cussed at a women he almost ran over in across walk, drove so crazy it was like being on a roller coaster on a narrow winding road. He stopped for our view of the airport on a blind corner, in the middle of the road! I have been on 10 cruises and had some crazy drivers, but this guy was the worst. I was actually scared a few times, and I wasnt the only one!!! I'm glad we did it, but would never do it again and I dont recommend it to others. But I do have to admit the 2 views of the beaches and cruise ships from the high points of the island were breath taking and we loved them. Also if you do this, go to the bathroom before you get off the ship. there are 2 bathrooms along the way, you have a 20 minute stop and 10 buses of people waiting to use the bathrooms, plus you want to see what you are stopping to see. There is no way you can get through the line that quick. With kids that can really be a big problem, they will tell you they will NOT wait for you. They have a schedule to keep to. If you miss them you will be paying a taxi to take you back to the ship.

I havnt done the others you listed. Our second time there we just walk around on our own.
Hope this helps you some,
mom x4,grandma x4

cruisnfamily
03-20-2006, 01:50 PM
We did the under 2 flags tour......
Hope this helps you some,
mom x4,grandma x4Thanks so much!

These are the great details I love to read, the inside scoop you can't ever get until you've been there and done that!

Has anyone else done this tour and had a better(or worse) experience?

lbgraves
03-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Have you searched thru the cruise trip reports forum? You will find reports from DISers who have done these excursions & can give you the good & the bad. You can search the forum, then search each thread that comes up to find the specific post instead of having to read thru every one in a long thread. The searched word comes up in red.

panamaprincess
03-20-2006, 05:31 PM
We did the See & Sea Island Tour in Oct '04. I really liked the land portion of the tour; we saw the highlights of both sides of the island and learned about the history.

However the "semi-submarine" was a fairly small glass sided boat, seated approximately 25 people. It was almost like a sail boat with a hollow hull, with glass on the angled portions of the hull. It was a bit claustrophobic. We departed from a beachside pier and there was ALWAYS motion on the ride. The crew sent down a diver with food for the fish, watching was fun, but afterwards many of the passengers spoke of being queasy. I had to go topside about 1/2 way through.

cruisnfamily
03-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the info!

The See & Sea is now off my list. Doesn't sound like a good fit. The Under 2 flags is still a possibility as are the others.

Yes, Lisa, I've tried searching the boards and the trip reports and honestly, it seems that most folks who report here opt for a shopping day or a beach day in St Martin. We're not looking for either. As a matter of fact, the only DCL excursion I have found reviewed is the under 2 flags which gets so~so reports.

I posted a while back but couldn't find anybody who'd done the ducks(which is my pick for the day!) or the island drive and explorer. I'm hoping for some more feedback by posting it in this manner.

NCRedding
03-20-2006, 09:37 PM
We've not done the duck tour in St Marten, but have in other cities, and have always had a good time. You get to see the sights and spend a little time on the water. I will say that if you just stay on the dutch side of the island, you will miss some pretty areas. I thought the french side looked better cared for than the Dutch.

We did the butterfly farm tour on our cruise several years ago. I enjoyed it, because you got to see a good bit of the island, then stopped for souvie shopping in Marigot, and then spent time at the butterfly farm, although I wish we had had more time at the butterfly farm.

Tiggerish
03-20-2006, 11:12 PM
We did the Under Two Flags and were disappointed and would definitely not recommend. The kids (8 and 14) were bored and cranky and the driver, who doubled as a guide was not very interesting and I did not think it was worth the money or the time.

cruisnfamily
03-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Still looking for input on the island drive and explorer cruise.....or more input on any of these 4 excursions.

Thanks!

cruisnfamily
04-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Still looking for input on the island drive and explorer cruise.....or more input on any of these 4 excursions.

Thanks!
Giving myself a bump in homes of more info.

Anyone?

WDWLVR
04-11-2006, 07:10 PM
We did the See and Sea tour and really enjoyed it. Gave a nice overview of the island the while the quarters were close on the sea portion we still got to see some great fish.

ImMarcik
04-11-2006, 08:42 PM

Thanks!

This is the one I am interested in too, but, I haven't read any review about it. I hope someone replies about it.

cruisnfamily
05-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Bumping up because...we'd finally made our choice...the ducks tour...and our 90 day mark is next week. Looked online and discovered that the ducks tour is no longer offered. Bummer! :guilty:

So back to the drawing board. anymore reviews or recommendations for sightseeing on St Martin?