PDA

View Full Version : Beach at Nassau?

we4blairs
03-20-2006, 11:54 AM
We are cruising the Wonder on April 6. :banana:
I have read posts that Nassau isn't "all that" and am greatly considering making it a day at sea.

Will we miss out by doing this? It is our first cruise; however, we aren't in to gambling or even shopping. The only reason I'd consider getting off the ship is if there is quick/easy access to the beach.

Kids and DH have never seen the ocean. I'm so looking forward to spending the day at CC and wondered if we should leave the ship on Day 2 to have some beach time?? Or, should we stay on the ship and enjoy things there?

kdsluvdisney
03-20-2006, 12:39 PM
We did the Atlantis tour and were back on the ship around 1 or so to eat lunch. It gave us a little taste of Nassau but were still able to be back on the ship. My kids really liked it (16-6) but then I have heard mixed reviews on it.

3sons
03-20-2006, 01:00 PM
If the've never seen the ocean I would consider one of the excursions where you can hang out at the beach! The water will be beautiful! :cool1:
I would want more than one day of beach time. One more word SUNBLOCK!

lovinaz
03-20-2006, 01:06 PM
I absolutely LOVED Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island (it's the beach the Atlantis Resort is on). It is a public beach and if I remember correctly, you can rent chairs and just hang out. They also have locals renting banana boat rides and jet skis and parasailing. Take the water taxi to Paradise Island and it is a 5-10 minute walk.

kaykels
03-20-2006, 02:18 PM
There have been hundreds of threads on this topic. Do a search and you will find out every option and opinion under the sun.

we4blairs
03-20-2006, 04:42 PM
I absolutely LOVED Cabbage Beach on Paradise Island (it's the beach the Atlantis Resort is on). It is a public beach and if I remember correctly, you can rent chairs and just hang out. They also have locals renting banana boat rides and jet skis and parasailing. Take the water taxi to Paradise Island and it is a 5-10 minute walk.

Water taxi - never heard of one. Are they close to the ship? Do they look like a taxi? How much?
Easy to get one back to the ship?

mattmommy
03-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Skip Nassau and do an excursion at the beach at Atlantis. The sand and water are beautiful. We're doing the 7 day Western and might not be able to go to Cozumel. I wouldn't mind going back to Atlantis at all.

videogal1
03-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Water taxi - never heard of one. Are they close to the ship? Do they look like a taxi? How much?
Easy to get one back to the ship?

Ummm, Disney no longer does business with the water taxi company and neither do I...It's a dangerous risk as they are often overcrowded, ramshackle, and not very seaworthy...mine abandoned me at Paradise Island by refusing to return me to the ship (Oosterdam) last year, a long story. You can catch the water taxi at the pier (short walk) but be very careful...a regular taxi is far safer and will probably let you off closer to Atlantis than the water taxi pier.
pirate:

Queen2
03-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Please, Please don't take the water taxi. :sad2: As above has said it is very dangerous. It is a small type boat(like a small tender) that maybe shold hold 40- 50 people & they to squeeze 60-75 people. After you get off the boat it is a little walking distance to Atlantis. I did it last year, it was 6.00 round trip & going over in the boat,IMHO I feared for my life & used a regular car taxi to come back in. The Taxi picks you up right near the entrance.

we4blairs
03-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Skip Nassau and do an excursion at the beach at Atlantis. The sand and water are beautiful. We're doing the 7 day Western and might not be able to go to Cozumel. I wouldn't mind going back to Atlantis at all.

What else is there to do at Atlantis? DCL site shows the excursion to be around $100 for family of 4 - seems steep just to be on the beach?

Thanks so much for the info on the water taxi - wouldn't that have been a great way to introduce the family to the ocean! yikes!

mousefamily
03-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Personally, my family and I love Nassau. There is a great pirate museum just up from the straw market (which we also love) and we have always found the locals helpful and friendly. I know some people have said they are pushy, but if you just give them a firm "no" they leave you alone. I definitely would not take a water taxi. Even the CM's told us not to take them. We took a taxi over to the Atlantis, looked around there and then walked to the public beach. Paradise Island is beautiful IMO. The taxi was $4. per person each way. Just be sure to negotiate the price before going. The drivers were all really nice too.