PDA

View Full Version : debit & cash ok?

we4blairs
03-18-2006, 09:00 PM
We don't use credit cards. (Took over a decade to get out of debt and we aren't going back!)

Will our debit cards be ok everywhere? How much cash should we plan to bring?

thanks!

IndyDisneyFan
03-18-2006, 09:19 PM
We used our debit card, and it works just fine. You will not need any cash on the ship or on Castaway Cay unless you visit the post office. Depending on which cruise you take, some places do take credit cards(debit cards used as credit cards), but we found on the Western that most of the vendors only wanted cash. We, my DH and I, only spent about $75 in cash, but that kind of depends on what you decide to buy. We aren't huge shoppers. For a week our room charge was about $300 with no excursions(they were all cancelled due to rough seas) and that included one bottle of wine on Valentine's Day, shopping in the gift shops both on the ship and on the island, and a few drinks along they way. Again, how much you spend depends totally on what you want. We didn't buy any pictures, but some people spend a lot on them. We just had others on the ship or where ever take pictures of us together using our digital camera. That saved us money to buy more stuff we really wanted. Hope this helps, and that you have a great time!

Laura

ibouncetoo
03-19-2006, 12:02 AM
You'll need to be careful if your debit card has a daily withdrawl limit. Though you may not plan to spend/charge much with it, you'll want to be covered if you have emergencies. You may even want to check with your bank beforehand to see about geting any limit waived during the time of your trip. It might be a good idea to 'buy' some shipboard credits before you cruise (pre-paying your shipboard account in other words).

If you use your debit card for ship charging privileges, you may find that DCL will put a $500 'hold' on your card, which could cause you problems if you are trying to use it in port on the first day. You can also apply cash to your DCL stateroom on the first day (or any subsequent day) of the cruise.
It really is a good idea, if you still have an active charge card that is not linked to your checking account, to bring it. I've read several DIS horror stories about people having to make ship to shore calls to their banks, etc.

mom+3girls
03-19-2006, 09:28 AM
I am in the same boat with you on the debt thing.

I do not even have a credit card. I use my check/debit card for everything.

I checked with my bank before we went and made sure that they knew where and when we were going. I wanted to make sure they didn't put a hold on my account because it was being used in some island.

I had a friend that was going from VA to WDW and he got to south GA and his card wouldn't work for a gas purchase, he called the bank and they told him that it had been used in VA NC and now someone was trying to use it in GA he said yes that would be me. I am trying to buy gas and they said that it appeared that the card had been stolen because it was being used in so many placed in one day. So I made sure that I let my bank know I didn't want this happening to me.

I didn't even use the card except when we checked in at the port and never used it again, I had cash that I used in the ports. I did the Disney cruise on a shoe string budget.

jodi1778
03-19-2006, 09:39 AM
I work in a bank and deal with debit card use all the time. They should be fine to use but a word of caution. Debit card purchases do not always clear the same day you make your purchase so that amount of money may be holding against your account balance. This in and if itself should not cause a problem, but in some cases companies hold much more than what the purchase price is. This occurs most often at gas station and hotels. If you place your debit card against your room key it is possible that a large amount may be held against your account and you would then be charged OD fees or denied purchases depending on your account balance.

I would suggest that you check with your bank before sailing and see what their policy is and how the best way to go about doing that is. OD fees add up fast and you don't want to get home from vacation to a mailbox full of fee notices.

Laura24
03-19-2006, 11:28 AM
My debit card had been temporarily blocked for debit charges above $50.00 due to BJ's Wharehouses' system being compromised. I found out trying to debit our lunch bill at RFC. What a shock when it was denied. Debit numbers were accessed...hence the limit. Thankfully I had a CC and it was our last day of vacation. New cards were sent out to all that were compromised. This took about a week. This was my first trip not using Travelers checks. I have since rethought that idea! :sunny:

ThePhantomsGirl
03-19-2006, 11:40 AM
I also use a debit card - although it's a business debit card so I have a higher limit.

Still, my plan is to place an onboard credit for what I decide to allow myself to spend beforehand. Then I'll have the debit card available for anything that might come up unexpectedly. I will notify my bank just in case. I plan to take some cash with me for roomservice tips, tips if I order a drink, small purchases such as the CC post office, etc.

ivanova
03-19-2006, 11:41 AM
If you could estimate what your known room charges will be (Internet access, excursions, spa treatments, etc.) and then add in an additional amount to cover bar tabs, Shutters photo purchases, and some onboard souvenir shopping ... then I would suggest putting that total amount on your stateroom account as cash on the first day.

The good news, if you have money left at the end of the cruise, you get it back. :teeth:

Another option is to prepurchase stateroom credit, charging it to your ATM/Debit card before ever boarding. Again, if you have money left you get it back, if you go over then you have DCL charge it against your debit card (and hopefully it's a small amount).

yankeegal64
03-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Definitely call your bank. I went to visit my daughter in Biloxi and when I went to use my debit card, there was a hold(they saw all the out-of-state activity on Saturday). It was Sunday by the time I found out and I couldn't get ahold of anyone at my bank(I bank with a State Credit Union). Very embarrassing! I had called when we went our our last cruise, but I didn't think of calling just when I was going out of state for the weekend. The idea about putting cash on your room is a really good idea. I have read that people start making credits to their room way in advance so they don't have to worry about costs at the last minute.

lenshanem
03-19-2006, 02:30 PM
We never used any card - credit or debit. We took cash and plunked it down at guest services. DH would go down every so often to check our balance and if needed, add more money to our account. :thumbsup2

linnied
03-19-2006, 04:23 PM
If you could estimate what your known room charges will be (Internet access, excursions, spa treatments, etc.) and then add in an additional amount to cover bar tabs, Shutters photo purchases, and some onboard souvenir shopping ... then I would suggest putting that total amount on your stateroom account as cash on the first day.

The good news, if you have money left at the end of the cruise, you get it back. :teeth:

Another option is to prepurchase stateroom credit, charging it to your ATM/Debit card before ever boarding. Again, if you have money left you get it back, if you go over then you have DCL charge it against your debit card (and hopefully it's a small amount).

I am a newbie and need an explanation
1. how do you prepurchase stateroom credit before you even board?
2. As a cash account and putting expected expenditures on your account the first day - once you run out of the pre paid amount can you use cash after that, debit/visa card and or a gift/visa card all as cash?

ivanova
03-19-2006, 05:12 PM
I am a newbie and need an explanation
1. how do you prepurchase stateroom credit before you even board?
2. As a cash account and putting expected expenditures on your account the first day - once you run out of the pre paid amount can you use cash after that, debit/visa card and or a gift/visa card all as cash?
1. If you booked through a TA you can have them take care of it for you- they'll need your debit card number, exp date, etc. If you booked directly with DCL you can call them. Stateroom credit has to be in increments of $25 ($50, $75, $100, etc.) So you can't purchase $76.50 in stateroom credit :)

2. Yes, you can pay more later with cash, the debit card or gift/visa card.

linnied
03-19-2006, 05:27 PM
Thank you so much for the explination.
I wasnt sure if the gift/visa card would work since it has no name on it.
I think I will use that card when I call the cruise line to get the prepurchased credit. My only concern is what happens if this "prepurchased credit" in not posted correctly and my stateroom doesnt show it at the time of the cruise?

If I decide not to prepurchase - and go stricktly cash account will the gift/visa card work like a debit card? It does have debit printed on it, just not my name

ivanova
03-19-2006, 09:38 PM
if your name isn't preprinted, I'm not sure

I know some Amex gift cards can have names printed on them though....